Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: CHEESE

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:23 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:21 pm

I at least righted the ship somewhat in my mid to late 20s, but I would encourage younger dudes to not squander their 20s in a GTI getting water dumped on their heads from a busted sunroof.
Tell me about it :lol: I was happy :doe: , but still 7 years on an egg is enough. I was a little too responsible when I was in mid 20s.
Caymans are far too :waxer: these days.
2010 Audi TT APR Stg1 (sold) >> 2012 BMW 335i FBO (sold) >> 2009 Miata zoom-zoom spec "Cheese" (sold) >> 2022 Hyundai Elantra N + 1999 Miata Maacover Project
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:57 pm
RLWake wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:43 pm

I very much doubt that I could leave the engine alone. My dad's turbo FRS was :stig: :burnout: :impressive: ... until it got totalled by a freak hail storm.
I forgot about that... :sad: !

I do think an FI version would be fun but I think the 228 pure Japanese ponies would do the trick for me :lolol:

Big powah isn't all that useful where I live.
Big powah isn't really useful anywhere in reality.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

RLWake wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:28 pm

Tell me about it :lol: I was happy :doe: , but still 7 years on an egg is enough. I was a little too responsible when I was in mid 20s.
:notwrong:

One could get a dece Cayman for like $20-25K five years ago, that is certainly not the case now.
ChrisoftheNorth

I can't even find a poverty truck worth buying under $10k. The market is jacked beyond belief right now. Best to just strap into whatever you have and wait.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:53 pm I can't even find a poverty truck worth buying under $10k. The market is jacked beyond belief right now. Best to just strap into whatever you have and wait.
Only exception is if you can sell your used car and get into something new you wanted anyway without paying over MSRP.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

coogles wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:39 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:53 pm I can't even find a poverty truck worth buying under $10k. The market is jacked beyond belief right now. Best to just strap into whatever you have and wait.
Only exception is if you can sell your used car and get into something new you wanted anyway without paying over MSRP.
Which is precisely what I’m trying to do now.
2010 Audi TT APR Stg1 (sold) >> 2012 BMW 335i FBO (sold) >> 2009 Miata zoom-zoom spec "Cheese" (sold) >> 2022 Hyundai Elantra N + 1999 Miata Maacover Project
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:39 pm
Yep, which is how I justified what I did, in essence. And even then, you'd only want something with stellar residuals because in a year, discounts from MSRP will be easy.

Then actually finding something new on the lot you want is near impossible right now.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

at the time a 135i, e92 335is, mustang gt was the "this is it" car for me.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
ChrisoftheNorth

Base audio in the new WRX. This is embarrassing. Downgrade in every way. How the hell a modern car company actually produces something like this is just... wow
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

RLWake wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:09 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:57 pm

I forgot about that... :sad: !

I do think an FI version would be fun but I think the 228 pure Japanese ponies would do the trick for me :lolol:

Big powah isn't all that useful where I live.
I do need to drive one... a buddy of mine has a 2020 BRZ so I might ask to drive his to get an idea. I'm annoyed about availability in all of these. Who knows if I could get my hands on one of those or a new GLI in a good spec in any reasonable time frame. I want to minimize time dealing with :dillerman:
If you want to take delivery from [user not found]'s back yard again, I can get you the number 2 spot on the list behind me at MSRP.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:26 pm Image

Base audio in the new WRX. This is embarrassing. Downgrade in every way. How the hell a modern car company actually produces something like this is just... wow
I think that’s only on the poverty trim? But yeah it’s terribad.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:14 pm

I do need to drive one... a buddy of mine has a 2020 BRZ so I might ask to drive his to get an idea. I'm annoyed about availability in all of these. Who knows if I could get my hands on one of those or a new GLI in a good spec in any reasonable time frame. I want to minimize time dealing with :dillerman:
If you want to take delivery from [user not found]'s back yard again, I can get you the number 2 spot on the list behind me at MSRP.
:wat: ? The :jizz: rocket?
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

RLWake wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:41 pm

His house is 5 minutes away from my old Toyota store in Lawrenceville NJ.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:57 pm

Ah.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:57 pm

Also

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I'm not ready at the moment, but I may hit you up down the line if you can help get MSRP. I'm assuming they will be 20% over indefinitely for regular people.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:55 pm

Yea, but the poverty trim today doesn't feel like poverty like this does. It looks like a prototype thing for UX testing or something.

Replacing knobs with that screen is just :disgust: :butwhy:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:39 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:55 pm

Yea, but the poverty trim today doesn't feel like poverty like this does. It looks like a prototype thing for UX testing or something.

Yeah at that point, just make the poverty version the outgoing model's tech...
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:46 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:39 pm

Yeah at that point, just make the poverty version the outgoing model's tech...
Exactly!
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

I think the massive screen and touch HVAC controls are really going to backfire in the WRX and STi. At least in the Outback it rides smoothly and has safety tech to save your ass if you wander out of your lane or approach another car too quickly, but the manual cars won't be getting any of the Eyesight tech. Take a system that already requires more attention than one with physical controls, then add in a stiffer suspension that makes it more difficult to accurately find the correct spot on a touchscreen and no safety nannies to keep an eye one you, and I think a lot of people are going to realize just how stupid these massive screens with sub-menus for everything really are.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

By egg I was referring to Golfs, GTI's :lol: Egg being directed on any car thats a golf is kind of a joke that started when we were together before this forum existed.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I wouldn't be surprised if this came out in a 2008 ish :waxer: car.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:17 pm I think the massive screen and touch HVAC controls are really going to backfire in the WRX and STi. At least in the Outback it rides smoothly and has safety tech to save your ass if you wander out of your lane or approach another car too quickly, but the manual cars won't be getting any of the Eyesight tech. Take a system that already requires more attention than one with physical controls, then add in a stiffer suspension that makes it more difficult to accurately find the correct spot on a touchscreen and no safety nannies to keep an eye one you, and I think a lot of people are going to realize just how stupid these massive screens with sub-menus for everything really are.
It's going to be a usability nightmare.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:07 pm

By egg I was referring to Golfs, GTI's :lol: Egg being directed on any car thats a golf is kind of a joke that started when we were together before this forum existed.
I'm 99% sure I meant to quote the message you were quoting :fullretard:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

RLWake wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:36 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:07 pm

I'm 99% sure I meant to quote the message you were quoting :fullretard:
I'm sure I'll feel better tomorrow :eeyore:. To be honest, I don't know where the cayman subject came from as I never really mentioned toying with a used cayman idea.