OT XXX: COVID Off Topic

Want to pledge allegiance to the Drumpf? Clash with Caspian? Scared of the stickers on your mailbox? Let's hear it.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

IMO the getting more progressive with age thing is just what happens when you actually get education and travel and live/work among different people.

Some folks stay in their bubbles and build fences/walls instead, those are the ones who get less progressive with age.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:12 pm IMO the getting more progressive with age thing is just what happens when you actually get education and travel and live/work among different people.

Some folks stay in their bubbles and build fences/walls instead, those are the ones who get less progressive with age.
:notwrong: although it seems like as many build a bit of wealth, they get more and more concerned with keeping all of that for themselves. I personally grew up in a way lower financial class than I am now, so maybe my perspective is a bit different. I don't mind having a larger tax burden all that much.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:53 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:33 pm

:dat: also :derp: :fullretard: theres a perfectly good reason why people are hesitant to go to weddings, its because of people like them. Also why zilhuge had been :rage: as well. People will have to learn one way or another.
There are 20 other solid reasons not to go to weddings other than avoiding the VID.
Dude For real, Ive been to some weddings that I barely remember (not the :drunk: kind) to people which aren’t even friends to begin with, but rather than being related to one of the attendees. They can be fun (especially free food and booze on their expense), but definitely NOT worth traveling across the country for it, let alone using a vacay day off solely for it too. At that point I rather use my 3-4 day vacay in Cancun and the like, which spending money for a flight and hotel is more worth it.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:40 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:12 pm IMO the getting more progressive with age thing is just what happens when you actually get education and travel and live/work among different people.

:notwrong: although it seems like as many build a bit of wealth, they get more and more concerned with keeping all of that for themselves. I personally grew up in a way lower financial class than I am now, so maybe my perspective is a bit different. I don't mind having a larger tax burden all that much.
I agree with this (your financial class progression mirrors mine), and what :mahtroy: said above about getting educated and traveling outside the country, and I'll add that there's another component to this, and that is empathy. If you're taught from a young age to care about others, and that you're part of a larger interconnected community, you tend to be more progressive throughout life as opposed to those in your example who just build wealth for themselves and are :nope: about paying taxes that just benefit "those people", etc.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

wap wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:07 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:40 pm

I agree with this (your financial class progression mirrors mine), and what :mahtroy: said above about getting educated and traveling outside the country, and I'll add that there's another component to this, and that is empathy. If you're taught from a young age to care about others, and that you're part of a larger interconnected community, you tend to be more progressive throughout life as opposed to those in your example who just build wealth for themselves and are :nope: about paying taxes that just benefit "those people", etc.
Like coogs, I was born and raised catholic, alter server, confirmed, all of it. Hell, even got married in the Catholic church.

What I find ironic is the basic teachings of the church around love, acceptance and empathy are what ultimately made me realize that the church is a two faced crock of shit. Taking those basic good human principles, then leaving my bubble and experiencing other ways of life exposed how crappy the church is and how much selfish tunnel vision most of the country has when it comes to others and empathy.

I've developed what I guess I'd call conditional empathy. Maybe an oxymoron, but I want to help others that want to help themselves. People with their heads buried in the sand looking out for only themselves should have only themselves to depend on. That includes anti vaxxers. Sorry not sorry.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:47 am

Like coogs, I was born and raised catholic, alter server, confirmed, all of it. Hell, even got married in the Catholic church.

What I find ironic is the basic teachings of the church around love, acceptance and empathy are what ultimately made me realize that the church is a two faced crock of shit. Taking those basic good human principles, then leaving my bubble and experiencing other ways of life exposed how crappy the church is and how much selfish tunnel vision most of the country has when it comes to others and empathy.

I've developed what I guess I'd call conditional empathy. Maybe an oxymoron, but I want to help others that want to help themselves. People with their heads buried in the sand looking out for only themselves should have only themselves to depend on. That includes anti vaxxers. Sorry not sorry.
Without getting into the whole church/religion = bad thing, the bolded is VERY dependent on the individual church.

That said, I do find it amusing when people, claiming to be Christian, pass judgement onto others for whatever various reason.

Like bruh, you’re just gonna ignore one of the pillars of Christianity while proclaiming how important God is in your life.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:47 am Like coogs, I was born and raised catholic, alter server, confirmed, all of it. Hell, even got married in the Catholic church.

I have utmost respect for that opinion, and I know a lot of people in this country share it. It makes me sad, though, knowing that Christianity has in many ways been twisted into this way to separate believers from non-believers, the faithful from the unfaithful, the "clean" versus the "unclean", and basically a way to separate from and look down upon others. The obsession with homosexuality and "traditional" marriage being the key example. I'm no Biblical scholar, but there are examples all throughout the new testament of Jesus having fellowship with classes of people who back then would have been considered "undesirables". The church I was raised in was built in the late 1800s in the middle of farm fields, but the city grew around it and today it's a basically 100% black, very poor neighborhood. The church has done frankly an unbelievable amount of charitable work to rehab and build safe, livable homes in the neighborhood, provide programming for neighborhood kids, food drives and clothing and toy donations, and on and on. It tries really hard to benefit the community around it even though the church is almost exclusively suburban white folks. It's not trying to shut non-Christians out, it welcomes them in with open arms. It's generous and loving. That's the church I know. And when I see it manifested another way on cable news it blows my mind, because that's not at all what I've ever experienced. But I know it's out there and that the church I came to know is probably the outlier, not the other way around.
wap

I maintain (and I think you'd agree with this), that empathy can and often does exist for a person outside of any religious affinity or affiliation. In other words, no church has a monopoly on teaching and practicing empathy. Oftentimes, I find :jesus: freaks to be some of the most 2-faced fakes when it comes to true empathy, using the bible as an excuse for their selfish, uncaring behavior.

I agree with the bolded.
wap

4zilch wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:10 am

Without getting into the whole church/religion = bad thing, the bolded is VERY dependent on the individual church.

That said, I do find it amusing when people, claiming to be Christian, pass judgement onto others for whatever various reason.

Like bruh, you’re just gonna ignore one of the pillars of Christianity while proclaiming how important God is in your life.
:dat:
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:40 am

I maintain (and I think you'd agree with this), that empathy can and often does exist for a person outside of any religious affinity or affiliation. In other words, no church has a monopoly on teaching and practicing empathy. Oftentimes, I find :jesus: freaks to be some of the most 2-faced fakes when it comes to true empathy, using the bible as an excuse for their selfish, uncaring behavior.

I agree with the bolded.
Oh, I absolutely agree. And I also agree that it varies by church. To write all off as bad is just as bad as them writing "non believers" off.

What's sad is I believe that core church principles and especially the bible are excellent guides to empathy and how to be a good human in general. Especially when taught at an early age, it can really make a good foundation. I've read the book, I have a friend who had a masters in Bible theology who's confirmed, it's a legit excellent book of examples of ways to live life well.

But that same friend is gay and was shunned from his church when he came out in his 30s. He lost his entire life including his family and had to start over. All because he's gay. He even went to a pray the gay away thing that (obviously) failed in an attempt to not lose his life. He and I have talked extensively about it, and incredibly because of his background with the bible, he still stands up for it in theory, just admits that people have destroyed it over the years.

I know good churches exist. I really shouldn't discredit all of them. While I'm firmly in the atheist camp personally, I can admit there's immense potential value in religion for many. It's just not one sized fits all, just like life.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:13 am

I agree with the bolded.
Oh, I absolutely agree. And I also agree that it varies by church. To write all off as bad is just as bad as them writing "non believers" off.

What's sad is I believe that core church principles and especially the bible are excellent guides to empathy and how to be a good human in general. Especially when taught at an early age, it can really make a good foundation. I've read the book, I have a friend who had a masters in Bible theology who's confirmed, it's a legit excellent book of examples of ways to live life well.

But that same friend is gay and was shunned from his church when he came out in his 30s. He lost his entire life including his family and had to start over. All because he's gay. He even went to a pray the gay away thing that (obviously) failed in an attempt to not lose his life. He and I have talked extensively about it, and incredibly because of his background with the bible, he still stands up for it in theory, just admits that people have destroyed it over the years.

I know good churches exist. I really shouldn't discredit all of them. While I'm firmly in the atheist camp personally, I can admit there's immense potential value in religion for many. It's just not one sized fits all, just like life.
Man, that's so fucked up for your friend. :amaze: that he hasn't totally turned his back on his religion. I don't think I could do that in his shoes.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Here's a pro-vaxxer taking her kid to a clinic, and the aftermath. You guys can at least appreciate that this is a scary time, and more people then are being documented are having serious side effects and dying.

I personally don't think vaccinating a kid who has 0.02% chance of dying from COVID should be forced to take this risk. We know that vaccinated people are still carriers, don't we?

:whocares:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:43 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:53 pm

There are 20 other solid reasons not to go to weddings other than avoiding the VID.
Dude For real, Ive been to some weddings that I barely remember (not the :drunk: kind) to people which aren’t even friends to begin with, but rather than being related to one of the attendees. They can be fun (especially free food and booze on their expense), but definitely NOT worth traveling across the country for it, let alone using a vacay day off solely for it too. At that point I rather use my 3-4 day vacay in Cancun and the like, which spending money for a flight and hotel is more worth it.
Funny that you bring that up. The last wedding I went to (which may be the last wedding I went to) was in June, by sister in law's 2nd daughter getting married. Being a fairly ancillary part of the wedding, I figured nobody would pay me any mind and I spent the afternoon before the event in a lovely oyster house with the Mrs. doing.......a little too much pre-func. This was apparently observed by my sister in law, who, after 3 decades of off and on alcohol and prescription drug issues, is now sober and fairly high and mighty about it. Not my best moment. Just thought I would pass on a CSB about your purportedly old and wise forum bro acting like an asshat. I didn't do anything overtly stupid other than stumble onto the bus taking us away from the event. Like the country song says, a little "too much fun."
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:07 pm Back on topic...

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandso ... rml&f=1001

:thisisfine:
Canucks are fairly heavily vaccinated (72.3% single dose, 64.5% double dosed), but I don't know that people will continue to take another shot every six months. There are plenty of people like my wife who are still dealing with really nasty side effects two weeks after their second dose (Moderna x2). She is afraid that she'll get even more messed up if she takes a third shot. This can't be that uncommon!

I think this virus will run its course one way or another. Governments can only do so much before it becomes illegal. I am basically taking the stance that we're fucked both ways. If you think you'll live a long and healthy life getting injected with this foreign matter every six months then I'm truly impressed in that confidence level. It's either that or facing the risks of getting the 'VID which will also fuck people up.

My wrap-up thought of the day is that we're pretty much fucked. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't case scenario.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

:doomed:

I finally slept from about 730 to 11 AM this morning (after zero sleep the previous night) and that seemed to take care of 95% of the effects. I'm back to my normal tired and sore self.
wap

I agree with the bolded.

Show this to your friend:
https://news.yahoo.com/catholic-officia ... 20987.html
Analyses of cellphone data obtained by a conservative Catholic blog seemed to show priests at multiple levels of the Catholic hierarchy in both the United States and the Vatican using the gay hookup app Grindr.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I agree with the bolded.

I agree that there are many good people use church as an escape, and a way to center themselves. So there is value in religion, but I personally don't have any connection to these entities. Finding the baseline good lessons and applying them to the world we live in is about the most I am willing to entertain.

It's my opinion that churches have turned into oppressive manipulative tools to strip people of their dignity and individuality. They are deplorable, and the majority of these "houses of God" should be lit on fire and let burn to the ground. This shit they call Catholicism is a joke, that goes for most Christian sects, Orthodox :bs: is the same shit. Don't even get me started on the oppressive structure formulated by Muslim faith.

I'm on the fence about Judaism, and have to admit that it at least builds their followers up and brings them a sense of confidence in an empowering way. I kind of like the Buddhist method of building inner strength, coping mechanisms that are actually helpful in day to day life. That's about it, people should know how to be good in this day and age, treat others the way you want to be treated.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Pfizer has received full FDA approval.

Anti-vax crowd right now:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:29 am Pfizer has received full FDA approval.

:lol:
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
wap

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:29 am Pfizer has received full FDA approval.

:lolgasm:
Well done.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Anyone have reduction of lung capacity a couple weeks after their 2nd Moderna shot? My pro-vaccine wife is having an increasingly difficult time breathing, she was winded going to the beach and last night felt tightness in her chest and more trouble.

She's going to a local clinic to have her vitals tested. I can't make this shit up, and I'm sure that her symptoms are just :fakenews: /anecdotal and it won't make it onto Wap's list of side effects, but she has no other lifestyle changes aside from her shot.
wap

Tarspin wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:43 pm Anyone have reduction of lung capacity a couple weeks after their 2nd Moderna shot? My pro-vaccine wife is having an increasingly difficult time breathing, she was winded going to the beach and last night felt tightness in her chest and more trouble.

She's going to a local clinic to have her vitals tested. I can't make this shit up, and I'm sure that her symptoms are just :fakenews: /anecdotal and it won't make it onto Wap's list of side effects, but she has no other lifestyle changes aside from her shot.
:bruh:
I am not an ideologue.

If I could find the damn list I'd update it. :lol:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:14 pm
Tarspin wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:43 pm Anyone have reduction of lung capacity a couple weeks after their 2nd Moderna shot? My pro-vaccine wife is having an increasingly difficult time breathing, she was winded going to the beach and last night felt tightness in her chest and more trouble.

I am not an ideologue.

LOL ok man, no worries... I'm busting balls. The phone in nurse thinks it's a swollen heart and wants her to have x-rays right away. Myocardiosis or something.... hopefully they can medicate to reduce the swelling. Lots of :popcorn:
wap

Tarspin wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:29 pm
wap wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:14 pm

I am not an ideologue.

LOL ok man, no worries... I'm busting balls. The phone in nurse thinks it's a swollen heart and wants her to have x-rays right away. Myocardiosis or something.... hopefully they can medicate to reduce the swelling. Lots of :popcorn:
Myocarditis?

Shit. Hope they can fix her up soon. :(