OT XXX: COVID Off Topic

Want to pledge allegiance to the Drumpf? Clash with Caspian? Scared of the stickers on your mailbox? Let's hear it.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Acid666 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:45 pm Took the wife to the ER at 4am this morning for blood in her urine. She had really bad abdomen pains and it was likely a kidney stone passing thru tubes somewhere else. Was bad enough to warrant a visit. Got there, a slew of about 12 people in the waiting room. Hour goes by and they call her in to draw blood and urine. Back in the waiting room, 3 hours later we talk to a couple of other people and come to find out that they've been there for 14 hours. All of the er units were taken up by people coming in for covid so there was no room to even bring in anyone. I think in our 4 hours there only one person got called in. She started to feel better so we just said fuck this and left.

Fuck this state and its idiot right wing retards. All the other hospitals are just as full. And lousiana is probably the highest infection rate in the world currently. But we got our freedoms! Yay!
:rage:
Something anti-vaxxers don't take into account is the supreme selfishness of their position. It's not a decision that only effects them. Your wife and the other people in that ER were inconvenienced, and possibly put in danger, because of people who refuse to get the shots. I also feel bad for the ER docs, nurses, and staff that are now working massive overtime.

I'm sorry for your wife. Hopefully she'll pass the stone soon.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:43 pm Time for a little update on my delta friend. She seems fine, no headaches or runny nose, pretty much as if she doesn’t even have the virus in the system. Although she can’t taste or smell.

Also she did get the virus at one of those weddings (which again, all outdoors as turkey still bans indoors). But, she got it someone that you can tell they’re sick and it turned out that she found out she was positive beforehand. Basically she went knowing she had COVID. :disgust:
The last sentence is just :mindblown: :wtf: :disgust:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Acid666 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:45 pm Took the wife to the ER at 4am this morning for blood in her urine. She had really bad abdomen pains and it was likely a kidney stone passing thru tubes somewhere else. Was bad enough to warrant a visit. Got there, a slew of about 12 people in the waiting room. Hour goes by and they call her in to draw blood and urine. Back in the waiting room, 3 hours later we talk to a couple of other people and come to find out that they've been there for 14 hours. All of the er units were taken up by people coming in for covid so there was no room to even bring in anyone. I think in our 4 hours there only one person got called in. She started to feel better so we just said fuck this and left.

Fuck this state and its idiot right wing retards. All the other hospitals are just as full. And lousiana is probably the highest infection rate in the world currently. But we got our freedoms! Yay!
Dude, this is terrible. I really hope she gets better soon. Could also be a UTI that progressed into a bladder infection (has happened to my wife a few times, been to the ER a few times too), so you may not want to just ignore it entirely if it doesn't improve.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

D Griff wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:35 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:43 pm Time for a little update on my delta friend. She seems fine, no headaches or runny nose, pretty much as if she doesn’t even have the virus in the system. Although she can’t taste or smell.

Also she did get the virus at one of those weddings (which again, all outdoors as turkey still bans indoors). But, she got it someone that you can tell they’re sick and it turned out that she found out she was positive beforehand. Basically she went knowing she had COVID. :disgust:
:dat: also :derp: :fullretard: theres a perfectly good reason why people are hesitant to go to weddings, its because of people like them. Also why zilhuge had been :rage: as well. People will have to learn one way or another.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Just found out my anti-vaxxer MIL has COVID. FIL had what he thought was a sinus infection that didn't improve with an antibiotic, and now my MIL is the sickest she's been in her life. Seems it's impacting her kidneys as they thought she must have had a kidney stone, but after they thought it had passed things didn't improve. Not sure if she's been officially admitted or not yet, but she's been sick for a few days now and it's only getting worse. Halfway between :rage: at their indifference about the whole thing and worried sick both for her and my wife. Fuck.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

coogles wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:14 am Just found out my anti-vaxxer MIL has COVID. FIL had what he thought was a sinus infection that didn't improve with an antibiotic, and now my MIL is the sickest she's been in her life. Seems it's impacting her kidneys as they thought she must have had a kidney stone, but after they thought it had passed things didn't improve. Not sure if she's been officially admitted or not yet, but she's been sick for a few days now and it's only getting worse. Halfway between :rage: at their indifference about the whole thing and worried sick both for her and my wife. Fuck.
I have a really hard time finding sympathy for anti vaxxers getting sick. But I haven't had someone close to me like this be anti vax and get sick. Hopefully there's room in the hospital. It's just incredible the indifference and :aintcare: until it's too late.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I feel the same way, and my wife is almost more angry with her parents than she is scared or sad, but there are obviously elements of the latter. As for my MIL's health evidently her oxygen levels are fine and she's being sent home. My wife just ordered a pulse-ox meter and sent it to their house.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:33 pm
D Griff wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:35 am

:dat: also :derp: :fullretard: theres a perfectly good reason why people are hesitant to go to weddings, its because of people like them. Also why zilhuge had been :rage: as well. People will have to learn one way or another.
There are 20 other solid reasons not to go to weddings other than avoiding the VID.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh

coogles wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:34 am I feel the same way, and my wife is almost more angry with her parents than she is scared or sad, but there are obviously elements of the latter. As for my MIL's health evidently her oxygen levels are fine and she's being sent home. My wife just ordered a pulse-ox meter and sent it to their house.
It is strange times where your parents can get sick and part of you thinks "you have it coming"
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:54 pm It is strange times where your parents can get sick and part of you thinks "you have it coming"
No doubt. There are elements of "I told you so" and a desire for them to recover quickly and without long-term complications all at once. They are or at least were entirely anti-vaccine, but simultaneously were going to the gym, not wearing masks while out shopping/etc., seeing clients (both realtors) regularly, and generally taking zero precautions of any kind. I continue to be unable to understand how someone can at the same time think the vaccine is too potentially harmful to risk getting, but also give zero fucks about protecting themselves from contracting the actual virus, yet here we are.
Desertbreh

coogles wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:04 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:54 pm It is strange times where your parents can get sick and part of you thinks "you have it coming"
No doubt. There are elements of "I told you so" and a desire for them to recover quickly and without long-term complications all at once. They are or at least were entirely anti-vaccine, but simultaneously were going to the gym, not wearing masks while out shopping/etc., seeing clients (both realtors) regularly, and generally taking zero precautions of any kind. I continue to be unable to understand how someone can at the same time think the vaccine is too potentially harmful to risk getting, but also give zero fucks about protecting themselves from contracting the actual virus, yet here we are.
Yep.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:53 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:33 pm

There are 20 other solid reasons not to go to weddings other than avoiding the VID.
Bridezilla is not one of them. I’d love to witness a meltdown of epic proportions.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

My two at home tests were neg. :fuckyeah:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

coogles wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:04 pm
Here are my recent thoughts on COVID and vaccines in general, feel free to remind me that I'm a :derp: and you're welcome to educate me with the personal knowledge and experiences that you've been exposed to throughout this ordeal and with life in general:

I'm really :notsure: about the safety of mRNA tech, yeah it's been around for 20 years as it has been developed to protect us from SARS; However, it was never mass distributed until this year. I am concerned that the number of :wap: individuals who are compromised in other ways are not able to handle the stress of this type of vaccination to their systems. Anecdotally speaking, the following people I know have been affected by being vaccinated recently, and I'm thinking that more info will emerge over time, especially once people are going to be taking third doses assuming that this is even a thing.

My FIL went from helping me move furniture, and a summer of kicking soccer balls, swimming, and running with the kids who climb all over the poor guy, to chest and jaw pain two to three weeks after having his second Pfizer shot, with nothing more then a walk and mild gardening. He does have a small belly, but splits his meals with his wife on almost all occasions, gardens two hours a day, mows his own lawn and multiple neighbor's lawns, and has no history of heart conditions, heart attacks, cholesterol, etc in his family. He doesn't smoke, and maybe has one beer, or splits one beer with dinner.

Another case scenario, my friend's aunt, old lady dies two days after her second Pfizer shot, heart attack.

A healthy, lean 55 yr old Indian dude who doesn't smoke or drink, works with my weekend sub-contractor buddy at his weekday job dies of a stroke two days after his second Pfizer jab.

Two other guys in the warehouse facility at Noble trade (buddy daytime gig) got jabbed and had heart attacks after their second Pfizer shot.

A tow motor operator at FCA, 62 yrs old, dies a couple of days after his second A-Z shot at work, falls off his tow motor with a massive heart attack. Wasn't the healthiest dude I've come by :doe: , and this brand was taken off the market.

So here's the thing, I'm not against vaccines, in fact I had an extra dose of Meningitis vaccine administered two years ago with my older son when our family doctor mentioned that there was a break out in adjoining cities (Brampton and Mississauga), and that's close enough to us to be a concern for me. I specifically told myself that I'd wait as long as I can to see what long-term discoveries emerge from this new vaccine technology, but in the mean time I do everything possible to reduce my risk. I carry a box of medical masks in my car, as well as disposable gloves, sanitizer, and cloth masks for random outdoor walks, etc. Restaurants have assigned procedures here, where we can only take masks off at our seats, and servers never take theirs off. I hate the pandemic as much as everyone else does, and I know that COVID has very dangerous side effects that meet or exceed my biggest concerns with the vaccines. However, it is the medical industry's responsibility to maintain their promissory oath to society to "do no harm", and right now I'm not convinced that they are putting in the right kind of effort to ensure that they are doing so. I guess we'll see how the human body reacts to these new "proteins" once the weaker/unhealthy population are exposed to a third "booster" dose. If people are inclined, as I have been recently, they will be able to discover countless "anecdotal" cases of similar negative effects of failing or damaged organs after their second jabs. It is enough feedback for me to take pause, and I know that will piss people off, especially those who are willing to sever ties with family over their decision to hold back on being vaccinated, etc., but that's how I feel and I'm :ohwell: on what other's think at this point in my life.

The world changed for me when I had two children, and managing risks has become a "family affair", my wife whole-heartedly believes that vaccination is the right move and she's had two Moderna jabs. So we agree that we should balance our risks in this way, and at this time. If COVID becomes our reality, wife should be fine, and I'll probably be worse for wear; and if the vaccines are harmful to us, then I'll be okay to raise our kids and she'll bear the brunt of that risk. This will likely change for us, as corps and governments demand vaccination documents to life a normal life. At that point I'll join you guys and more then likely fair well, so I'm not going down with this ship, merely waiting longer. Anyone who tells me that I'm putting others at risk by not being vaccinated can fuck themselves, there's plenty of evidence even from the most pro-vax media that states that vaccinated population can still catch and spread COVID, so that's moot point to me.

Case counts here are starting to climb, borders to double-vacced US citizens are open on this end, even though it is apparent that you can be vaccinated, and still carry COVID, in many cases completely undetected. We were at 300 new cases/day for our 14 MM provincial population last week, and it's now 600 this week. Time for the shit-show to begin, and I suspect a major resurgence as is seen in many parts of the world RN. I'm very much :popcorn: on how all this unfolds, but I feel for the older population who may very well be living a Russian Roulette life, and really not sure which bullet will get them first. :sad:

I know basically almost all of you are pro-vaccine, and you place :science: at the pinnacle of decision making strategy, which I agree with as I mentioned before. However, I feel that it should be in everyone's best interest to look into possible risks associated with this new technology, and approach it with the scrutiny that the subject matter deserves.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I carry a box of medical masks in my car, as well as disposable gloves, sanitizer, and cloth masks for random outdoor walks, etc.
I don't discount your stories of people having problems with the vaccines at all. Now, do I believe the risk of having health problems from the vaccine are lower than than from actually getting COVID-19? Yes, I do. But there's also the probability of getting COVID vs not catching it, versus a 100% chance of getting the vaccine if that needle goes in your arm. You're reducing the likelihood of getting COVID by practicing the above while making the conscious decision to not get vaccinated. I personally don't have a problem with this, I have a problem with the nearly 100% overlapping Venn diagram of people who simultaneously don't want to get vaccinated, don't want to wear a mask, and don't want any kind of COVID-related restrictions on society at all. The last two aren't compatible with the first unless you think SARS-CoV-2 isn't a real thing. There are enough empty chairs at dinner tables by now to tell us that it is, and I'm praying I don't end up having one in my family.
razr390

coogles wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:29 pm
I carry a box of medical masks in my car, as well as disposable gloves, sanitizer, and cloth masks for random outdoor walks, etc.
I don't discount your stories of people having problems with the vaccines at all. Now, do I believe the risk of having health problems from the vaccine are lower than than from actually getting COVID-19? Yes, I do. But there's also the probability of getting COVID vs not catching it, versus a 100% chance of getting the vaccine if that needle goes in your arm. You're reducing the likelihood of getting COVID by practicing the above while making the conscious decision to not get vaccinated. I personally don't have a problem with this, I have a problem with the nearly 100% overlapping Venn diagram of people who simultaneously don't want to get vaccinated, don't want to wear a mask, and don't want any kind of COVID-related restrictions on society at all. The last two aren't compatible with the first unless you think SARS-CoV-2 isn't a real thing. There are enough empty chairs at dinner tables by now to tell us that it is, and I'm praying I don't end up having one in my family.
This is a great way of putting it.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I am guessing that there is a very large population that thinks this virus is :fakenews: , which is utterly
rediculous, and scary. I don't see a lot of people around me disregarding the virus as such, so I guess I'm not at a boiling point. I certainly would be if there were such a strong devide among those who are taking this virus seriously, and those who aren't, but the majority of my community doesn't act irresponsibly.

Rudy is right, your expression of your viewpoint are really good. Thanks for your coherent and reasonable thoughts on the topic. I'm very conflicted with how I feel about next steps right now, and being able to have these rational exchanges helps a lot at this time. Appreciate it.
razr390

Tarspin wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:16 pm

I am guessing that there is a very large population that thinks this virus is :fakenews: , which is utterly
rediculous, and scary. I don't see a lot of people around me disregarding the virus as such, so I guess I'm not at a boiling point. I certainly would be if there were such a strong devide among those who are taking this virus seriously, and those who aren't, but the majority of my community doesn't act irresponsibly.

Rudy is right, your expression of your viewpoint are really good. Thanks for your coherent and reasonable thoughts on the topic. I'm very conflicted with how I feel about next steps right now, and being able to have these rational exchanges helps a lot at this time. Appreciate it.
You know your circumstances better than any of us, and you’re not being reckless about it, so at the end of the day your risk tolerance is what it is. We can’t be kids about this. All we can do is just ensure we are all doing everything in our power to help prevent the spread. This virus is real, being dumb about it is dumb. Plenty of empty chairs at family dinners this holiday season to vouch for how real it is.
wap

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:26 am
coogles wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:14 am Just found out my anti-vaxxer MIL has COVID. FIL had what he thought was a sinus infection that didn't improve with an antibiotic, and now my MIL is the sickest she's been in her life. Seems it's impacting her kidneys as they thought she must have had a kidney stone, but after they thought it had passed things didn't improve. Not sure if she's been officially admitted or not yet, but she's been sick for a few days now and it's only getting worse. Halfway between :rage: at their indifference about the whole thing and worried sick both for her and my wife. Fuck.
I have a really hard time finding sympathy for anti vaxxers getting sick. But I haven't had someone close to me like this be anti vax and get sick. Hopefully there's room in the hospital. It's just incredible the indifference and :aintcare: until it's too late.
:dat:

Still, hope everything works out, Coogs.
wap

razr390 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:00 pm My two at home tests were neg. :fuckyeah:
:megusta:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

A hint of honesty from overseas countries like Singapore, as they stand by their citizens who in this case have experienced severe heart problems after being vaccinated. The documented rate of this condition is less than 1/100,000 but I think there is flawed/manipulation in that recording. At very least, I hope that people who know they have heart conditions consider the implications of this risk.

https://financialpost.com/pmn/business- ... ets-166000
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

wap wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:30 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:26 am
:dat:

Still, hope everything works out, Coogs.
Thanks dude. We FaceTimed with the in-laws last night and MIL was passed out in bed at 7:30pm. She looked...not great. The doctors are saying the pain she's feeling near her kidneys is actually pneumonia in the bottom of her lungs, although they're still saying there's evidence she passed a kidney stone. Who knows. Her O2 levels were still fine, though, so they sent her home with a cocktail of meds for now. We told my FIL to monitor those O2 levels closely, but he still is acting like this is all no big deal. Like MFer, you just took your wife to the ER due to COVID-related symptoms and you think this is no big deal? Biting my tongue the next time I see them is going to be difficult at best.
razr390

Looks like boosters are set to be recommended 8 months after the last dose you had.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

razr390 wrote:Looks like boosters are set to be recommended 8 months after the last dose you had.
The phrasing I read was within 8 months, but who knows. The wife just got hers on Sunday. I'm probably going to grab one this week if I can. Our local Walgreens wanted actual proof of qualifications so I couldn't get one when she did.

I might go somewhere else and say that I haven't gotten any shots yet vs waiting for months to be considered eligible.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

LOL @ Trump's shit this morning or last night blaming the surge in Covid on Biden.. bro, you started all of this by making it a political thing and not just mandating masks and shit from the top down. Idiot.