OT 20: rotisserie roller coaster

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:53 pm
razr390 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:22 pm Speaking of laptops, :tits: started her own small crafts business and was using my 2019 MacBook Pro 95% of the time. She paid me a few hundo for it because she needs it for her business and already has all of her stuff on it. So I used that money and got the base entry level MacBook Air for $900. It has Apple’s proprietary M1 chip and it is fucking insane. The $900 air is faster and more efficient than the Intel Chip MBP I got for $1,800 two years earlier.

MBP has better components for more professional use and also has more ports available which she needs to connect to her printers and cutting machines and stuff so it’s a win-win.

She already sticker-bombed the laptop with pink shit. :disgust:

Pretty happy with the purchase. I am an Apple retard though. But now that I have modern gear across the board the seamless integration for using everything is :mindblown:
IN your defense, I have really loved the Apple laptops I've had (I've owned the OG MacBook and 2 Pros, one from work, one the aforementioned one I got on the way cheap from my wife's employer)... I have had three different Dells from three different companies and they are absolute dogshit comparatively in basically every way. They run clunkier, they break more, they just look/feel cheap, the track pads are fucking heinous, built in audio is shit, etc.

Now, the Apple phones are more of a 3/7 to me, my iTrude 8 is starting to be shitty just because Apple wants it to be shitty, IMO. They are :nice: but I think I like Pixels better and they're not $1200.
I still use my 8+ for my phone in Turkey and that thing still runs strong, doesn't feel dated. Only problem I had was I could only hear the voice of my calls through a speaker, which Ive gotten that fixed around $40, works great. Now my murican Xr is doing the same, but why bother when Im waiting for the 13 to be released.

Honestly other than not having home buttons, only good thing that worth the upgrade is the camera on the 12 imo
Last edited by MexicanYarisTK on Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:12 pm
Detroit wrote: That's what I thought. I think there's some subtle differences between the quality of components, but IDGAF
Screen quality is the thing that is often the big difference between otherwise similar models, but the two you posted are both the same decent IPS LCD and they have good hard drives and RAM so you'd 100% be good with the cheaper one. If I hadn't spent $5000 recently on bikes and music shit I would almost get someone with a membershit to buy me one...

but my now ~4 year old HP is still trucking along fine and only showing its limitations in how slowly it renders video files after making edits. I guess I'll keep :waiting: until it has a problem or I end up doing a lot more video work.
The only other thing I'm curious about is the build quality. The $800 one is all metal, and rivals an Apple for build quality IMO. Keyboard is really nice, the power button has a fingerprint reader in it for unlocking, the touchpad is nicely integrated and very sensitive and the screen is a very sensitive touchscreen. It's REALLY nice. I wonder if the $500 is plastic where the other is metal? Or something else is shitty? There has to be something making up the cost difference?

Maybe I'll just buy the $500 one and decide which one to keep when it comes.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:14 pm Yea specs don't really matter for anyone not gaming anymore. Especially for most work. The screen resolution certainly does. I had a 720p in my last laptop and wanted to blow my god damn brains out. It was unusable. However, 1080p is the bare minimum IMO. Anything less makes it a paperweight good for watching movies.
Yea, I want a 14" 1080p screen minimum. Makes the biggest difference. The dude at Costco was really knowledgeable about computers and recommended 8gb RAM minimum for video conferencing since I'm using it for interviews. My 10yo MBP has 4, so 8 is :mindblown: to me. This one has 12. The first desktop my family had in the 90s had a 10gb hard drive. :lolol:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:22 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:12 pm Screen quality is the thing that is often the big difference between otherwise similar models, but the two you posted are both the same decent IPS LCD and they have good hard drives and RAM so you'd 100% be good with the cheaper one. If I hadn't spent $5000 recently on bikes and music shit I would almost get someone with a membershit to buy me one...

but my now ~4 year old HP is still trucking along fine and only showing its limitations in how slowly it renders video files after making edits. I guess I'll keep :waiting: until it has a problem or I end up doing a lot more video work.
The only other thing I'm curious about is the build quality. The $800 one is all metal, and rivals an Apple for build quality IMO. Keyboard is really nice, the power button has a fingerprint reader in it for unlocking, the touchpad is nicely integrated and very sensitive and the screen is a very sensitive touchscreen. It's REALLY nice. I wonder if the $500 is plastic where the other is metal? Or something else is shitty? There has to be something making up the cost difference?

I mean... those "intangibles" do matter. This Dell I have from work is so plasticy and it honestly just feels like a piece of shit. It looks cheap, the keyboard is kinda meh, and the trackpad damn near unusable. I carry a mouse with me on all trips, annoying, but that is how bad it is. I would be willing to pay a little more for something I spend a lot of time using just for it to look and feel better.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

razr390 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:58 pm

IN your defense, I have really loved the Apple laptops I've had (I've owned the OG MacBook and 2 Pros, one from work, one the aforementioned one I got on the way cheap from my wife's employer)... I have had three different Dells from three different companies and they are absolute dogshit comparatively in basically every way. They run clunkier, they break more, they just look/feel cheap, the track pads are fucking heinous, built in audio is shit, etc.

Now, the Apple phones are more of a 3/7 to me, my iTrude 8 is starting to be shitty just because Apple wants it to be shitty, IMO. They are :nice: but I think I like Pixels better and they're not $1200.
Most flagship phones are all at $1k or so +/- $200

I have a work iPhone SE (new model, looks like an 8 design wise) and it’s working fine.

The MacBook Air was on sale, for $900 it’s one of the best “deals” given that it has that M1 chip.
That is kind of my point, the iPhone 8 is perfect but because it's 2.5 years old, it is just sort of slowly committing suicide for reasons. I think I can make it work for at least another 1-2 years though. I really don't care to waste money upgrading.

:tits: got a 12 something and the camera is certainly :tits: I actually like mine more in every other way than hers (I think the home button is :nice: , I like that it's smaller, etc).
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:12 pm Screen quality is the thing that is often the big difference between otherwise similar models, but the two you posted are both the same decent IPS LCD and they have good hard drives and RAM so you'd 100% be good with the cheaper one. If I hadn't spent $5000 recently on bikes and music shit I would almost get someone with a membershit to buy me one...

Those 2 should have the same chassis, screen, and touchpad. The difference appears to be in the motherboard/cpu/ram.

The higher end Intel-based version has gigabit wifi vs "only" 500ish Mbps, 3200 MHz vs 2666 RAM, Bluetooth 5.1 vs 5.0, full USB-C capability for connecting a :dock: that does charging and connecting all devices in one cable, has a :whocares: fingerprint reader.

If you want to use a USB-C dock, you'll be SOL on the cheaper one and have to run 3 cables instead of one. Otherwise you likely won't notice a thing - if anything the AMD chip is actually faster in many applications.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:27 pmtestes
:balls: :iono:
:notsure:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

razr390 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:22 pm Speaking of laptops, :tits: started her own small crafts business and was using my 2019 MacBook Pro 95% of the time. She paid me a few hundo for it because she needs it for her business and already has all of her stuff on it. So I used that money and got the base entry level MacBook Air for $900. It has Apple’s proprietary M1 chip and it is fucking insane. The $900 air is faster and more efficient than the Intel Chip MBP I got for $1,800 two years earlier.

MBP has better components for more professional use and also has more ports available which she needs to connect to her printers and cutting machines and stuff so it’s a win-win.

She already sticker-bombed the laptop with pink shit. :disgust:

Pretty happy with the purchase. I am an Apple retard though. But now that I have modern gear across the board the seamless integration for using everything is :mindblown:

Can confirm most of :dat: from the one Dell laptop I bought a few years ago. It needed a battery after just 2 years and in it's 3rd year the fucking hinges broke to the point that I can't close the thing any more. :|
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:42 pm
Detroit wrote: The only other thing I'm curious about is the build quality. The $800 one is all metal, and rivals an Apple for build quality IMO. Keyboard is really nice, the power button has a fingerprint reader in it for unlocking, the touchpad is nicely integrated and very sensitive and the screen is a very sensitive touchscreen. It's REALLY nice. I wonder if the $500 is plastic where the other is metal? Or something else is shitty? There has to be something making up the cost difference?

Those 2 should have the same chassis, screen, and touchpad. The difference appears to be in the motherboard/cpu/ram.

The higher end Intel-based version has gigabit wifi vs "only" 500ish Mbps, 3200 MHz vs 2666 RAM, Bluetooth 5.1 vs 5.0, full USB-C capability for connecting a :dock: that does charging and connecting all devices in one cable, has a :whocares: fingerprint reader.

If you want to use a USB-C dock, you'll be SOL on the cheaper one and have to run 3 cables instead of one. Otherwise you likely won't notice a thing - if anything the AMD chip is actually faster in many applications.
Yeah and good luck finding >500 mbps wifi :lolol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Just had a third interview with Harman... still pretty sure I will be getting an offer from them... not sure what I should do :lolol: :crang:

Probably stick with the current job :disgust:
wap

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:54 pm Just had a third interview with Harman... still pretty sure I will be getting an offer from them... not sure what I should do :lolol: :crang:

Can't really decide until you get the offer :doe: , no?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:12 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:54 pm Just had a third interview with Harman... still pretty sure I will be getting an offer from them... not sure what I should do :lolol: :crang:

:notwrong: so I'm probably wasting too much time thinking about it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

When is the offer coming :hibachi:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:25 pm

I find over-thinking life's big decisions is never a waste of time. Good luck with the interviews and job hunting broseph!
wap

Yep.

You'll know :wat: to do if/once you see the offer.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Smoke a blunt and take the misses to pound town a few times to keep your mind off it.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:42 pm
Detroit wrote: The only other thing I'm curious about is the build quality. The $800 one is all metal, and rivals an Apple for build quality IMO. Keyboard is really nice, the power button has a fingerprint reader in it for unlocking, the touchpad is nicely integrated and very sensitive and the screen is a very sensitive touchscreen. It's REALLY nice. I wonder if the $500 is plastic where the other is metal? Or something else is shitty? There has to be something making up the cost difference?

Yea, I don't care about any of that stuff. And neither does anyone else apparently, I just went to the website to buy one and it's listed as out of stock now.

:ohwell:
ChrisoftheNorth

Maybe, but you and I are facing somewhat similar dilemmas in the big vs smaller company debate. It's worth considering a bit more before :nope:

Think about why you started applying in the first place. Are there certain elements that made you want to leave that changed? If so, are those changes temporary? I wouldn't focus so much on compensation, but more on development and the opportunity to find somewhere you truly enjoy. This place has been a bit of a rollercoaster for you, :notsure: it's worth spending major time at. Harmon is a big company that could provide a lot more development opportunity.

My focus is almost entirely on culture this go round.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:58 pm

Maybe, but you and I are facing somewhat similar dilemmas in the big vs smaller company debate. It's worth considering a bit more before :nope:

Think about why you started applying in the first place. Are there certain elements that made you want to leave that changed? If so, are those changes temporary? I wouldn't focus so much on compensation, but more on development and the opportunity to find somewhere you truly enjoy. This place has been a bit of a rollercoaster for you, :notsure: it's worth spending major time at. Harmon is a big company that could provide a lot more development opportunity.

My focus is almost entirely on culture this go round.
Yeah, the thing is... I think I'm mostly excited about Harman due to the fact that they have a Pro Audio Division, which I would much rather do... but this role isn't in it. Upon further research, it also seems like their Pro division is kind of dying/not a market leader. :iono: It seems maybe not worth it to hope that it will lead to something in the Pro division later on.

It is also a big corp and I have reservations about that. My previous company was 125 people worldwide, current is 1500 people. I honestly enjoyed the smaller company more, corp. stuff is sort of :rolleyes:

I really just need to stop giving a shit and try to be happy as a cog.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

wap wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:06 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:27 pmtestes
No kukunamou for constantinopoli
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Fucking eh, I got word that everything was approved so I can actually close. Should get confirmation in the morning if we are still on for Monday.

I called in favors all the way up to SVPs who have the ear of the COO. Big orgs suck and this acquisition in a year or so will put me in the 15th largest bank in the country, but I’m well liked enough to get people to go out on a limb for me.

I broke out in tears when I heard the news everything was approved.
wap

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:12 pm
wap wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:06 pm
No kukunamou for constantinopoli
:lol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:16 pm Fucking eh, I got word that everything was approved so I can actually close. Should get confirmation in the morning if we are still on for Monday.

I called in favors all the way up to SVPs who have the ear of the COO. Big orgs suck and this acquisition in a year or so will put me in the 15th largest bank in the country, but I’m well liked enough to get people to go out on a limb for me.

:amaze:

That is awesome news man! Fingers crossed for Monday!
wap

Apex wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:16 pm Fucking eh, I got word that everything was approved so I can actually close. Should get confirmation in the morning if we are still on for Monday.

I really wanted to post :idbu: just based on all your previous :mahtroy: luck with this whole fucking :haus: :dill: but man, that is so :fuckyeah: to finally hear!! Really glad for you. We all know how tortuous this thing has been for you and your fam. RCrossing fingers that there are no more surprises between now and Monday!