Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

In any case, I'm not sure where/when I expressed the desire to be some elite race-winning cyclist.

I want to stop getting slower and stop being tired/sore 24/7. A 90 minute ride trying as hard as I can leaves me tired and sore for 3-5 days. If that's not enough effort, then I am simply not willing to put in enough effort... because I have other more important shit to do that's already being ignored or half-assed since the bike is making me so tired.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:48 pm
Desertbreh wrote:
right?
Meanwhile here are 2 of the local guys I can't even attempt to keep up with:

ImageImage
Size =/= strength. Some of the most elite powerlifters are little dudes. Seriously take a day off of cycling and hit the weights once a week, your speed will improve as your strength does.

If you're that sore for that long after your rides (3-5 days) you aren't getting enough sleep or protein. If you don't want to eat more animal protein, supplement with whey, casein, or a blend of the two. Keep fats away from your post-cycle meals, and just eat some of your carbs for the day and a portion of protein. Easy one I do after a workout is a rice cake with some salt and honey on it, then 50g of whey protein in a shaker. Shit, mix the whey into some greek yogurt before your ride, pop it in the freezer, and pull it out when you get home for a post-ride high protein ice cream treat.

If you do supplement with whey/casein, you can spike it with additional amino acids and glutamine as well.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:07 pm In any case, I'm not sure where/when I expressed the desire to be some elite race-winning cyclist.

I want to stop getting slower and stop being tired/sore 24/7. A 90 minute ride trying as hard as I can leaves me tired and sore for 3-5 days. If that's not enough effort, then I am simply not willing to put in enough effort... because I have other more important shit to do that's already being ignored or half-assed since the bike is making me so tired.
Dude it's been said 1,000 times. You need to put in less effort. More than half of the rides I've been doing during this 5 week program never get me beyond Zone 3. So although my FTP going into the program was set at 209 I'm never going over 180-190 watts and even then I'm only doing that for 4-8 minutes at a time, and doing an active recovery for a couple minutes between efforts at ~140-150 watts. And then I'm only doing that for 45 minutes 2 out of 3 days/rides per week. The proof will be in the pudding when I test again at the end of next week, but it feels like it's working.
troyguitar

coogles wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:07 pm In any case, I'm not sure where/when I expressed the desire to be some elite race-winning cyclist.

Dude it's been said 1,000 times. You need to put in less effort. More than half of the rides I've been doing during this 5 week program never get me beyond Zone 3. So although my FTP going into the program was set at 209 I'm never going over 180-190 watts and even then I'm only doing that for 4-8 minutes at a time, and doing an active recovery for a couple minutes between efforts at ~140-150 watts. And then I'm only doing that for 45 minutes 2 out of 3 days/rides per week. The proof will be in the pudding when I test again at the end of next week, but it feels like it's working.
Huh? Zil keeps saying that I'm not pushing hard enough. Apparently repeated sprints from stop signs don't count as intervals. In a given ride I do a zero to 20-25 sprint followed by a few minutes at 18-20 to the next intersection. Stop, wait for traffic, repeat around 10 or so times per hour.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:42 pm Huh? Zil keeps saying that I'm not pushing hard enough. Apparently repeated sprints from stop signs don't count as intervals. In a given ride I do a zero to 20-25 sprint followed by a few minutes at 18-20 to the next intersection. Stop, wait for traffic, repeat around 10 or so times per hour.
Intervals are important, but you can only do that kind of workout so often before getting burnt the fuck out. Those zone 2 & zone 3 workouts are sneaky tough - almost more mentally than physically in that I want to hammer away although I know keeping my output in those zones is important - but I do work up one heck of a sweat even in the cool basement. 5 of the first 6 rides in the program I never got out of Zone 3. It's ramped up a bit since then, but it starts all over again if you just repeat the approach over and over.

You have a smart trainer, right? I truly think you'd be well-served by getting a TrainerRoad subscription or similar. Find out your FTP, then structure a program around that. IIRC you have a power meter too - you can do your structured rides outside using that service as well.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:42 pm
coogles wrote:
Huh? Zil keeps saying that I'm not pushing hard enough. Apparently repeated sprints from stop signs don't count as intervals. In a given ride I do a zero to 20-25 sprint followed by a few minutes at 18-20 to the next intersection. Stop, wait for traffic, repeat around 10 or so times per hour.
And there you go... while you're moving it sounds like you're averaging over 18 mph the entire time. The lights really rob the speed.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:50 pm Anyways…

Some local stravasshole stole my home KOM the other day by one second, so I just tried to take it back at the tail end of my ride for shits and giggles.

If I can do that with tired legs and a headwind… he’s going to rue the day I hit it with fresh legs and a tailwind.

Also, new Blacklist kit came in the mail today. :fuckyeah:

Stravasshole :lolol:

New kit is :muah:
troyguitar

Another week goes by and I'm down another ~ mile per hour for the same effort.

I went hard on Monday, did a recovery ride on Tuesday, took Wednesday and Thursday off, then went out today after sleeping 12 hours every night this week, eating better and drinking less and stretching more, and... went even fucking slower. 16.2 mph at 171 bpm. Time to sell the :fancy: bike as I obviously don't have any use for the motherfucker. :ohwell:
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:25 pm
[user not found] wrote:
Easy there, fuzzy little man peach.

We're still waiting for you to try some structured training, intervals, anything we suggest, other than endlessly comparing your efforts to my own.
I'm comparing myself to myself.

I was faster in July of 2020, when I had been riding for all of a month. On a slow ass bike with slow tires and hills.

No fucking intervals were done back then.

I did 30+ miles at 17+ mph. I can't do it anymore.
Do we ignore the regional/climate variable?
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
troyguitar

razr390 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:25 pm I'm comparing myself to myself.

I was faster in July of 2020, when I had been riding for all of a month. On a slow ass bike with slow tires and hills.

No fucking intervals were done back then.

I did 30+ miles at 17+ mph. I can't do it anymore.
July afternoons up North are pretty much the same as here, so yeah.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:52 pm
razr390 wrote:
July afternoons up North are pretty much the same as here, so yeah.
What about altitude relative to sea level?
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
troyguitar

razr390 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:52 pm July afternoons up North are pretty much the same as here, so yeah.
What about altitude relative to sea level?
~1000 ft vs zero, so I should be faster down here if anything.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Troy needs an aero helmet
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:33 pm Troy needs an aero helmet

Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:48 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:33 pm Troy needs an aero helmet

One of my life dreams came true during my week long work from the beach secret getaway near Asbury Park. I saw a lady biking with an aero helmet that was on backwards. Dead serious. It was amazing.
Johnny_P

https://velo-orange.com/collections/pol ... 1680332937

This looks awesome. Should I do it? Make the ultimate dad bike? Swept back flat bars and a baby seat? Diaper bag front rack? 1x9? Hamburger bell?
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:10 pm

One of my life dreams came true during my week long work from the beach secret getaway near Asbury Park. I saw a lady biking with an aero helmet that was on backwards. Dead serious. It was amazing.
:amazing:
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:12 pm https://velo-orange.com/collections/pol ... 1680332937

This looks awesome. Should I do it? Make the ultimate dad bike? Swept back flat bars and a baby seat? Diaper bag front rack? 1x9? Hamburger bell?
#sendit
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:10 pm

This is insane :lolol: I mean… you have to be pretty srsbzn to get an aero helmet, right??
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:12 pm https://velo-orange.com/collections/pol ... 1680332937

YOLO! I think you should do it if it makes you happy. I mean, you gave up the STI… you deserve some bike fun. You could probably get out and ride more if you could take him with, plus get bonus points with Lisa for giving her a bit of alone time.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:29 pm Another week goes by and I'm down another ~ mile per hour for the same effort.

I went hard on Monday, did a recovery ride on Tuesday, took Wednesday and Thursday off, then went out today after sleeping 12 hours every night this week, eating better and drinking less and stretching more, and... went even fucking slower. 16.2 mph at 171 bpm. Time to sell the :fancy: bike as I obviously don't have any use for the motherfucker. :ohwell:
Headwind? Humidity? Temperature?

There are so many variables when you compare ride to ride.

Look at your heart rate data, look at the weather, think about your perceived exertion.

You can’t expect instant change either.

The power zone program Coogles is doing is 5 weeks long. Think about that.

Implement changes, stick to a plan, and see how things look in a few weeks. I’m not going to tell you to stop beating yourself up because I know that’s useless against perfectionists with anxiety, but… you’ve gotta be patient.

It took me 7 years to be fit enough to take back a KOM that was stolen from me in 2014. Fitness takes time man.
6 weeks ago on the same route in the same conditions but on the "slow" bike I did 16.6 mph at 153 bpm. 2 weeks ago on the fast bike I did 17.0 at 168 bpm. Today also on the fast bike it's 16.2 at 171 bpm.

This isn't one ride vs another, I'm summarizing the trend. Almost every ride has been slower than the last since ~January, to the point where I am now as slow as I was when I first started riding a bike.

6 full months of getting slower and slower, erasing every bit of fitness I had ever gained... Is 6 months not long enough to spot a trend?
Johnny_P

If you’re doing more stop and go because of lights your avg speed will be fucked.
Apex

Brick Farm Market :drool:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

200W for 5.5hrs is insane. If I am actually faster than Troy ( :notsure: on that, BTW ), the gap between me and Troy is WAY smaller than between me and Zack. :lol:

This was the last work session on the bike before the two deload rides next week and then the FTP test. I was pretty beat after this one - still a bit sore from Friday’s squat session and definitely not feeling like being on the bike this morning. Stuck it out, though.

The two rides programmed before the FTP test are pretty light Z2/Z3 spins, and I’ll stick to bodyweight in the lower body workouts this week too. That should keep me fresh enough to peak for the test next weekend.

coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:04 am 200W is estimated - doesn't take into account headwinds or tailwinds.

I guess I should invest in at least a Stages crank arm so we can see exactly what I'm putting out on the road.

Good job on sticking it out through the class Coogs. :like:
Thanks amigo. I really want a power meter too. I have a perfect training loop close to the house and I’d like to essentially repeat this program using my new FTP result, but at least for the “endurance” type of rides, do them out on the road.