Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Tarspin wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:42 pm After thoughts:
-I'm going to through the black mirror caps back on for that blue/black theme
-18s feel so much better on the car
-after a few rips up and down some country roads, I'm glad that I made this move. 19s are just silly
:dat:

Car still looks good!

I'm :amaze: at how quickly the rotors get surface rust, even from just washing it. Happened to me this past Saturday. The grinding noise is just fading today. :lol:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

wap wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:09 pm
-after a few rips up and down some country roads, I'm glad that I made this move. 19s are just silly

Car still looks good!

I'm :amaze: at how quickly the rotors get surface rust, even from just washing it. Happened to me this past Saturday. The grinding noise is just fading today. :lol:
Thanks, I like the look a lot, the phone butchers any pic i take with high contrast. :disappoint:

Yeah the rotors are instantly rusty post-wash. I got a lot of miles out of mine so :aintcare:
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:37 pm New BRZ starts under $29k. If I ever did another fun car, this is extremely tempting.
For real. Probably the most exciting car to come out in awhile.

If S2000 prices continue to run away, it doesn't sound like a bad idea to sell it and buy a new BRZ. Scratches the :plac: itch, and rids myself of 20 year old car problems.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Car still looks good!

Yeah, mine will flash with rust if it rains enough overnight. Though, the noise is finished by the time I get to the end of my street. :iono:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Huckleberry wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:39 am

Car still looks good!

Yeah, mine will flash with rust if it rains enough overnight. Though, the noise is finished by the time I get to the end of my street. :iono:
Mine too, usually. :notsure: why this time took 2 days but it seems back to normal now. :iono:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Completed another 1500 mile road trip over the last 4 days in the :taco: . 19.3mpg in case anyone cares. This is certainly living up to my expectations.

Also PSA do not go to LA. That place has turned into an epic cesspool. However auxiliary cities around LA on the beach are still nice.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:15 am Completed another 1500 mile road trip over the last 4 days in the :taco: . 19.3mpg in case anyone cares. This is certainly living up to my expectations.

Also PSA do not go to LA. That place has turned into an epic cesspool. However auxiliary cities around LA on the beach are still nice.
:like:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:15 am Completed another 1500 mile road trip over the last 4 days in the :taco: . 19.3mpg in case anyone cares. This is certainly living up to my expectations.

19.3 is pretty damned decent IMO.

LA has always been a cesspool :disgust:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:40 pm

I don't know man... I have been pretty much 1-3 times a year over the last 20 years... and this is by FAR the worst. It strongly reminds me of this.

19.3 is an AVERAGE. Including some obligatory LA traffic. And quite a bit of "in town" driving as well as sustained 75-90 freeway cruise speeds.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Right? Max, were you there in 1923 or something?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:08 pm

:iono: my friends went to UCLA for their undergrad/grad and PhD programs so I have been since 05.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Desertbreh wrote:
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:40 pm 19.3 is pretty damned decent IMO.

Huh?

I've never been but it was and AFAIK still is the rock music capital of the world since the 1970s.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:25 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:08 pm

:iono: my friends went to UCLA for their undergrad/grad and PhD programs so I have been since 05.
Well obviously it's a super spotty town. What is it that has you on the "whole thing is a shithole" bandwagon. Homeless?
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:31 pm
Desertbreh wrote:
Huh?

I've never been but it was and AFAIK still is the rock music capital of the world since the 1970s.
That may be true but too many people, too much traffic, too much squalor. Your rock music capital thing sounds like fun....but not lately.
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

@max225 .I thought you were renting an EV for the weekend? Deets?
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:58 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:31 pm Huh?

That may be true but too many people, too much traffic, too much squalor. Your rock music capital thing sounds like fun....but not lately.
:hibachi:

Tesla model X100D is coming this friday at 6pm... expect long ass :whocares: info with data points/consumptions/performance etc.
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:26 pm

Tesla model X100D is coming this friday at 6pm... expect long ass :whocares: info with data points/consumptions/performance etc.
I am super interested in your assessment
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:31 pm Huh?

Those of us who grew up in the Midwest and parta of the east coast glamorize the hell out of LA. Rock capital, movie capital, it's where all the cool shit seems to originate from...a mystical area where everyone is gorgeous and cool AF, a far cry from boring go hum Midwest white suburbia.

Then you go there, or worse MOVE there and the reality is a cold bum hand slap in the face. The feeling of mystique turns to mistake and all you want to do is escape.

Sure, areas of Malibu, Santa Monica, and Brentwood are cool, but they're outliers and rare. Ventura county is where it's at in SoCal, but only because it's nothing like most of LA. Orange County is just a bunch of Trump loving brodozer driving douchers hell bent on outdoing one another, but some beaches are nice. I really liked Laguna Beach and the area of Irvine along Irvine park before it got built up.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Irish wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:38 pm

Same!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:41 pm

Those of us who grew up in the Midwest and parta of the east coast glamorize the hell out of LA. Rock capital, movie capital, it's where all the cool shit seems to originate from...a mystical area where everyone is gorgeous and cool AF, a far cry from boring go hum Midwest white suburbia.

Then you go there, or worse MOVE there and the reality is a cold bum hand slap in the face. The feeling of mystique turns to mistake and all you want to do is escape.

Sure, areas of Malibu, Santa Monica, and Brentwood are cool, but they're outliers and rare. Ventura county and San Diego County are where it's at in SoCal, but only because it's nothing like most of LA. Orange County is just a bunch of Trump loving brodozer driving douchers hell bent on outdoing one another, but some beaches are nice. I really liked Laguna Beach and the area of Irvine along Irvine park before it got built up.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:42 pm

Same!
Yeah I'd pretty much spend the whole weekend fucking with it.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:58 pm That may be true but too many people, too much traffic, too much squalor. Your rock music capital thing sounds like fun....but not lately.

Sure, areas of Malibu, Santa Monica, and Brentwood are cool, but they're outliers and rare. Ventura county is where it's at in SoCal, but only because it's nothing like most of LA. Orange County is just a bunch of Trump loving brodozer driving douchers hell bent on outdoing one another, but some beaches are nice. I really liked Laguna Beach and the area of Irvine along Irvine park before it got built up.
I mean, everyone that I want to play with or see either lives there or spends a lot of time there. I can see it not being worth it for anything else, that's not surprising. I'm certainly not willing to rent a shitty apartment and spend 4 hours a day in gridlock to be part of that scene. If I were 20 years younger with my current skill level and thus had some chance of "making it" then that would be a different story.

I know that I will never be anything beyond a no-name semi-pro though so there's no point in trying to move anywhere like LA, NYC, London, Austin, or New Orleans.
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: occasionally

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:41 pm

I grew up in the suburbs of LA and then moved north a few months after graduating college. My family is still there but I'd have really hard time ever moving back.

I'd move to Santa Barbara tomorrow :doe: if it wasn't so expensive.
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: occasionally

+1

:popcorn:
max225

I can't post my long ass rant about LA... getting a server error... 6x and counting ... wtf