Shopping in the worst car market ever...Summer 21 Plac Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:27 am I just don't get that much enjoyment out of an overpriced sporty car, there's nowhere to really enjoy them anyway.
:trollface: The irony of this while also owning a boat...
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

razr390 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:09 pm
wap wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:54 am

:notsure:
My bad, I only drove one once, have a friend who drives multiple Audis and drive Q3’s as loaners and another friend who worked in sales at one of the highest volume Audi dealers to back me up.

:fakenews: tho
:bruh:
You know RL experience doesn’t mean shit around here.
Apex

MrH42 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:11 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:27 am I just don't get that much enjoyment out of an overpriced sporty car, there's nowhere to really enjoy them anyway.
I don’t get the irony?

His boat is docked outside his house which is overlooking a Great Lake in MI. He can go WOT between his pr0n shoots daily, even hourly if he wants to; ZFG.
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: occasionally

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:09 pm
HerrBerlin wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:49 am

75ish% of the miles I put on my cars are from road trips a few times a year. The other 25% is on pitted out city streets barely breaking 30mph, which is my daily driving.

I'd like something that has the following:
  • Decent fuel economy
  • Comfortable on long drives
  • Ability to drive on service roads
  • Decent cargo space for trips and :doge:
  • Automatic :(
  • Something where I won't care about every scratch/imperfection
Dropping the Type R to 18s would solve some of my complaints, but it still would limit places I can take it to and how much time I spend thinking about how it (is this space for enough away? Is that a new swirl mark? Etc). I want a car that complements my life, not a car that I have to sacrifice certain things for.

I'll admit I totally buy into the Subaru lifestyle brand which is why I don't think I'd find any of them completely soulless. My immediate family has had many and loved them all. Hell, I'm pretty sure my brother likes his Crosstrek more than his M4.
Man, so much this. It's why I like the Crosstrek so much. It just does what I want and manages to inject a bit of sportiness that makes it feel fun enough to not be soul sucking. A lifted hatchback is not the same as most crossovers on the market. It's why I see the appeal of the Outback too. We just didn't want a car that big, and the budget fit the Crosstrek Sport better than a 2.4t Outback.
Agreed. I'm glad someone understands where I'm coming from. :lol:

If they threw the 2.4t in the Crosstrek it'd be a no brainer for me since the Outback is a bit bigger than what I want, but the Outback would also be a great road trip cruiser.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Not really? He lives on a lake. Lol

That’s the equivalent of living in a hangar on Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca with a sports car.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

Apex wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:12 pm

My bad, I only drove one once, have a friend who drives multiple Audis and drive Q3’s as loaners and another friend who worked in sales at one of the highest volume Audi dealers to back me up.

You’re right.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Apex

razr390 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:18 pm

You’re right.
Quoted because I’ll never hear this again. :lolol:
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

coogles wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:39 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:27 amFor me, it's any other toy. Cars just aren't that important to me anymore. I'm happy with my boat, the bicycles, and the opportunity for others (like a side by side). I just don't get that much enjoyment out of an overpriced sporty car, there's nowhere to really enjoy them anyway.
Right, you're clearly over having something sporty. Personally I enjoy my GTI every single time I hop behind the wheel - it gives me something to have a bit of fun with every time I have to go anywhere.
:dat: I still enjoy mine even if I drive it like a grandma 80% of the time .... I really don't ever want to back to go back to a :toaster:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

wap wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:54 am

:notsure:

:sass:
I just figured being MQB it'd drive sort of like a lifted :gorf:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

MrH42 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:11 pm :trollface: The irony of this while also owning a boat...
Not really? He lives on a lake. Lol

That’s the equivalent of living in a hangar on Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca with a sports car.
Apex wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:14 pm

I don’t get the irony?

His boat is docked outside his house which is overlooking a Great Lake in MI. He can go WOT between his pr0n shoots daily, even hourly if he wants to; ZFG.

Didn't realize he lived on a lake.

I just think the same thing about boats. Hugely expensive and you have to tow it to drop it in, very few places you can use it, etc. Game changes a bit if you're on a body of water.
wap

You’re right.
But he has RL experience of being told his RL experience is :wrong: so he must be :wrong: here, too.

:wrong: ception :mindblown:
wap

Apex wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:21 pm

You’re right.
Quoted because I’ll never hear this again. :lolol:
:wrong:
wap

Irish wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:29 pm
coogles wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:39 am

Right, you're clearly over having something sporty. Personally I enjoy my GTI every single time I hop behind the wheel - it gives me something to have a bit of fun with every time I have to go anywhere.
:dat: I still enjoy mine even if I drive it like a grandma 80% of the time .... I really don't ever want to back to go back to a :toaster:
I'm in this camp, too. We have a (damn fine) :toaster: in the H and I have my fun Blue Meanie that's also pretty utilitarian. We've been using it to bring hope shit tons of Ikea shit that would not fit in the admittedly large H trunk.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:15 am

What do you want out of a car right now?
75ish% of the miles I put on my cars are from road trips a few times a year. The other 25% is on pitted out city streets barely breaking 30mph, which is my daily driving.

• Decent fuel economy
Dropping the Type R to 18s would solve some of my complaints, but it still would limit places I can take it to and how much time I spend thinking about how it (is this space for enough away? Is that a new swirl mark? Etc). I want a car that complements my life, not a car that I have to sacrifice certain things for.

I'll admit I totally buy into the Subaru lifestyle brand which is why I don't think I'd find any of them completely soulless. My immediate family has had many and loved them all. Hell, I'm pretty sure my brother likes his Crosstrek more than his M4.
I’m with you on most points other than the whole swirl mark/dent etc. how is a Subaru more durable than a Honda here? It sucks to have that on any vehicle. Also I also don’t see the point in babying a civic it’s a civic it’s not a Chiron. It’s meant to be driven. 18s should do wonders for the ride. Just get out there and enjoy it
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:44 pm

• Decent fuel economy

I’m with you on most points other than the whole swirl mark/dent etc. how is a Subaru more durable than a Honda here? It sucks to have that on any vehicle. Also I also don’t see the point in babying a civic it’s a civic it’s not a Chiron. It’s meant to be driven. 18s should do wonders for the ride. Just get out there and enjoy it
Gratuitous and hideous unpainted plastic bumpers kind of helps?
max225

MrH42 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:47 pm

Since when do subarus have unpainted bumpers ?
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:49 pm
MrH42 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:47 pm

There's a lot of black plastic on mine

max225

MrH42 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:50 pm

I see, well that sort of shit scratches also, my Tacoma wheel arches are quite prone to it. And spending 40k on a Subaru and scratching it to shit sounds just as appealing as doing it to a CTR.

I just don’t get the argument.
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

• Decent fuel economy

Not saying it's more durable, just that I wouldn't care if any of that happened on a Subaru appliance I own, while I care greatly about every little imperfection on the Type R for whatever reason.
razr390

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:52 pm

I see, well that sort of shit scratches also, my Tacoma wheel arches are quite prone to it. And spending 40k on a Subaru and scratching it to shit sounds just as appealing as doing it to a CTR.

I think the argument being made here isn’t oh my god I want to buy a $40k thing on wheels and scratch it up.

I think it’s more the Civic Type R is more of a headache in the sense that you care more for s purpose built enthusiast car. Versus if you have a utilitarian car where you still don’t want it to get scratched or whatever but if it happens you understand that your car is just the car. Versus worrying about resale value, etc bullshit.
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Yeah, I may be :wrong: but I think that looks great.
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

razr390 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:57 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:52 pm

I think the argument being made here isn’t oh my god I want to buy a $40k thing on wheels and scratch it up.

I think it’s more the Civic Type R is more of a headache in the sense that you care more for s purpose built enthusiast car. Versus if you have a utilitarian car where you still don’t want it to get scratched or whatever but if it happens you understand that your car is just the car. Versus worrying about resale value, etc bullshit.
:dat: :dat: :dat:

That's exactly it.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

wap wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:35 pm

:sass:
I just figured being MQB it'd drive sort of like a lifted :gorf:
I've never driven a golf, but it drives like a Crosstrek version of an A3. Not sure I'd qualify that as a piece of shit, but different strokes. :iono:
max225

HerrBerlin wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:59 pm
razr390 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:57 pm

:dat: :dat: :dat:

That's exactly it.
I think that’s just a justification for selling it which doesn’t really make sense. Getting your shit fked up whether it is a Camry or a Supra feels the same imo especially at similar price points.

I do get the hassle of the manual, giant wheels and attention of the huge wing though.

I mean this is why I put 20x the miles on my Tacoma over the mini even though the mini is more “fun” to drive.

There really isn’t a lot to chose from given your requirements. Rav 4prime perhaps… good mpg and comfortable, with a lot of space etc just narrows things down significantly.

I would base model defender… at least it has some character but it doesn’t fit the mpg request. There really isn’t anything that gets 25+ and is fun
Last edited by max225 on Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Desertbreh

DFD Lesbo Wagon Owners Association takes wings.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.