Command Chief Master Sirloin

Apex wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:34 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:11 pm

LOL. Not wholly unlike Max's seat selection in his C8
:mindblown:

Easy cleanup when the softcore boat shoot goes hardcore. :hubba:
:dat:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Apex wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:34 pm

:mindblown:

Easy cleanup when the softcore boat shoot goes hardcore. :hubba:
Nah, that progression just happens on the boat. Marine vinyl cleans really easy.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Apex wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:10 pm Those seats are :neat:
How dare you insult Kentucky’s finest foreskin leather !
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:12 pmYea...so that's going to suck and/or take some adjustment. We voiced concern with the screen in the Outback with our :dillerman: and he said that voice recognition has gotten really good and you can just talk to the car to make it do things. I countered that fucking google "assistant" can only understand me maybe half the time and I didn't have much faith in a car company doing better since I work for one. We all chuckled and he admitted that they've been getting a lot of complaints about the Outback screen.

It's cheaper for the company and has some glitz to be like :triggered: TESLA :triggered: , but I just don't like these do-all screens. My JT had a do-all 7" screen and it sucked. I guess the larger screen could help, but if things are kept independent then it's easier to use on the fly. I just love the separate screens and physical controls in the Crosstrek.

Another weird thing...we were cross shopping the Crosstrek and Outback. I really wanted proximity entry because I HATE taking the keyfob out of my pocket to unlock a car with pushbutton start. The Crosstrek Sport gets it, but the Outback Premium they had in stock didn't and was $3k more.
I would 100% do a Crosstrek or a Forester if they’d fit 3 car seats. Either would be cheaper and do everything I’d need it to, plus not have that added negative of the huge screen. Sadly neither quite works, though.

Fingers crossed I get used to it, I guess.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:31 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:12 pmYea...so that's going to suck and/or take some adjustment. We voiced concern with the screen in the Outback with our :dillerman: and he said that voice recognition has gotten really good and you can just talk to the car to make it do things. I countered that fucking google "assistant" can only understand me maybe half the time and I didn't have much faith in a car company doing better since I work for one. We all chuckled and he admitted that they've been getting a lot of complaints about the Outback screen.

It's cheaper for the company and has some glitz to be like :triggered: TESLA :triggered: , but I just don't like these do-all screens. My JT had a do-all 7" screen and it sucked. I guess the larger screen could help, but if things are kept independent then it's easier to use on the fly. I just love the separate screens and physical controls in the Crosstrek.

Another weird thing...we were cross shopping the Crosstrek and Outback. I really wanted proximity entry because I HATE taking the keyfob out of my pocket to unlock a car with pushbutton start. The Crosstrek Sport gets it, but the Outback Premium they had in stock didn't and was $3k more.
I would 100% do a Crosstrek or a Forester if they’d fit 3 car seats. Either would be cheaper and do everything I’d need it to, plus not have that added negative of the huge screen. Sadly neither quite works, though.

Fingers crossed I get used to it, I guess.
I think you will. We all will have to eventually, it's the way of the future for the industry.

The good thing is the system seems pretty snappy. The small one in our CTrek is really decent, I prefer it to the poverty Unconnect systems. I played with the one in the Outback and it worked really well. I think it's more us getting with the times as we get old and the world changes around us.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:45 pm I think you will. We all will have to eventually, it's the way of the future for the industry.

The good thing is the system seems pretty snappy. The small one in our CTrek is really decent, I prefer it to the poverty Unconnect systems. I played with the one in the Outback and it worked really well. I think it's more us getting with the times as we get old and the world changes around us.
We should only have to if we can actually remove the human responsibility for driving, though. Climate controls through a touchscreen are the dumbest idea ever in a car that actual needs a human to pilot it. :deadhorse: The one in the Outback does work really well when you're stationary, though, I agree. It uses separate processors for the audio and the chassis control/HVAC functions, so neither is supposed to bog down the other and in my limited interactions that seemed to hold true. Still, I know I'll miss the simplicity of the GTI. This first generation of MQB cars gets SO much right, IMO. There are physical control for everything you need, and the touchscreen works well for the things where otherwise you'd have 1,000 buttons, like radio presets, or more detailed functions that you should really only be messing with while parked anyway.

I've enjoyed the shit out of the GTI once I got past the initial dealership fuckery and fixed the suspension, but its departure just means eventually I'll be able to add a focused sports car to the garage that I should enjoy even more.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:55 pm Glad you're enjoying it, man! There really is a reason these are ubiquitous, they fit the needs of many very well, and I agree that they're less depressing than a regular CUV, and IMO, less depressing than any other Subie besides WRS, STI, or BRZ.

Not a bad car at all, and you're in good company. DFD 2021: Cuck Edition is definitely a thing.
:fuckyeah:
But really...
:whocares:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

coogles wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:03 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:45 pm I think you will. We all will have to eventually, it's the way of the future for the industry.

We should only have to if we can actually remove the human responsibility for driving, though. Climate controls through a touchscreen are the dumbest idea ever in a car that actual needs a human to pilot it. :deadhorse: The one in the Outback does work really well when you're stationary, though, I agree. It uses separate processors for the audio and the chassis control/HVAC functions, so neither is supposed to bog down the other and in my limited interactions that seemed to hold true. Still, I know I'll miss the simplicity of the GTI. This first generation of MQB cars gets SO much right, IMO. There are physical control for everything you need, and the touchscreen works well for the things where otherwise you'd have 1,000 buttons, like radio presets, or more detailed functions that you should really only be messing with while parked anyway.

I've enjoyed the shit out of the GTI once I got past the initial dealership fuckery and fixed the suspension, but its departure just means eventually I'll be able to add a focused sports car to the garage that I should enjoy even more.
Mk7 interface really is well thought out. It's a solid 4.5/7
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:02 pm Image

The seats. These are unique to the sport trim, but listed as water repellant right on the window sticker, they mimic wetsuit material. They're surprisingly soft and supple, but as I mentioned, we often drive back from the boat in damp bathing suits, it's really nice to not worry about setting a towel down to sit on first. They're really easy to wipe clean too. Not sure farts can penetrate them either.

I haven't experienced particular breathability issues with them yet, even in heat. No worse than a leather seat in that regard. The cleaning aspect is worth it to me.
Dayum, those seats are :jizz:
ChrisoftheNorth

Irish wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:19 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:02 pm Image

The seats. These are unique to the sport trim, but listed as water repellant right on the window sticker, they mimic wetsuit material. They're surprisingly soft and supple, but as I mentioned, we often drive back from the boat in damp bathing suits, it's really nice to not worry about setting a towel down to sit on first. They're really easy to wipe clean too. Not sure farts can penetrate them either.

I haven't experienced particular breathability issues with them yet, even in heat. No worse than a leather seat in that regard. The cleaning aspect is worth it to me.
Dayum, those seats are :jizz:
They are surprisingly nice and comfortable. Also decently supportive. The cleanability is even better.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:03 pm

We are decades+ away from being able to entirely remove the human responsibility of driving. Letting the CTrek drive itself and seeing where it trips up has made me even more aware of this. Especially where I live on 2 lane roads, it's often where I need to cross the center line to get around a bicyclist or pedestrian walking along the water near the shoulder safely, an autonomous car will be confused AF. Worse is detecting the pedestrian or bicyclist with trees, mailboxes, and whatnot whizzing by I'm not sure a vehicle will ever figure that out 100%. And this is just one case, I'm sure there's hundreds more like mountains out west, etc.

That said, I finally see value in these semi-autonomous driving systems. It really is nice to let your brain relax a tad, and you spend more time keeping an eye out for things that need your intervention than watching every little thing. But what still concerns me is the same thing that always has...people will get lazy, and that will get dangerous fast. Every now and then the system will lose track of the middle lines on a curve and push the car toward oncoming traffic. When it does, it freaks out and turns the system off, but if you weren't paying attention at all (like most :derp: s wouldn't), that situation could be deadly. While it manages curves way better than I thought it would, I still leave the system off on curves because I just can't trust it (and the driver shouldn't in that case).

In terms of the HMI, buttons have long proven to be superior. It's just unfortunate that people fell in love with the giant Tesla screen and MFGs realized they could give people whiz bang tech while saving money. A win/win for the mfg, and the customer is dazzled for a while, until they realize the lack of physical buttons and separate controls suck. The good news is that usually big ass screen have a lot of real estate for "buttons" that stay put to make it easier to use.
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Hell, I have a hard time even just trusting the Adaptive cruise in the T-Reg. In Regular mode it applies the brakes a half second later than I would and much harder..... that is nerve racking AF. Its better in Comfort mode but its is still way harder on the brakes than I am. Shocker.
ChrisoftheNorth

Irish wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:04 pm Hell, I have a hard time even just trusting the Adaptive cruise in the T-Reg. In Regular mode it applies the brakes a half second later than I would and much harder..... that is nerve racking AF. Its better in Comfort mode but its is still way harder on the brakes than I am. Shocker.
That was always my biggest criticism of adaptive cruise...it's more reactive than proactive. I was always taught to look many cars ahead when driving, and obviously the system can really only see one car ahead, so it slams on the brakes and reacts to what's immediately in front. Every system I've driven before the Subaru was like this, and I just had no interest in it.

But damn, this Subaru system drives very similar to how I would. When first getting used to it, my foot would hover over the brake pedal constantly "just in case" but right when I feel like I need to put the brakes on, it starts slowing down. It's very easy to trust and use because it doesn't feel artificial or reactionary at all. The only time I don't like it is when a car in front is slowing down to turn right. The system thinks the car is coming to a stop, and drives as such. It keeps applying the brakes even after the person is turned and not in front anymore, even just for a few seconds, which feels like an eternity when I'd naturally be accelerating. It's like the system thinks the car just disappeared and will come back. I usually kill the adaptive cruise when someone is turning, it's just a button and NBD. But just another example of how far off we are from full self driving vehicles.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Mileage seems pretty decent on donkey urine but I guess you do zero city driving.

Glad you’re enjoying it. I’d love to get another Subaru.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:42 pm Mileage seems pretty decent on donkey urine but I guess you do zero city driving.

We'll see how the mileage actually plays out, I still haven't run the tank down yet. :lolol: I love the range, but minimal city driving helps.

Subaru gets a lot right, I understand now why they're so popular.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:38 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:42 pm Mileage seems pretty decent on donkey urine but I guess you do zero city driving.

We'll see how the mileage actually plays out, I still haven't run the tank down yet. :lolol: I love the range, but minimal city driving helps.

Does everything a Jeep does for 30k less and +60% mpg. Why the eff not.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote:
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:38 pm We'll see how the mileage actually plays out, I still haven't run the tank down yet. Imageol: I love the range, but minimal city driving helps.

Renegade is the :jeep: that most people should buy. Especially the hybrid that Daimler/Fiat/Stellantis refuse to sell here because reasons.
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:54 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:38 pm

Except flex at the mall.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:00 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:54 pm

Except flex at the mall.
Not if you park at REI or L.L. Bean
Desertbreh

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:42 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:00 pm

Except flex at the mall.
Not if you park at REI or L.L. Bean
Well done.
max225

CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

SOON

CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:02 am https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/ ... 64253.html

Any interest in non :truck: 's ?
This makes me wish I bought the Buick Rainier V8 I looked at for my dad a couple weeks ago. V8 BOF cush mobile.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:56 pm
max225 wrote:
Renegade is the :jeep: that most people should buy. Especially the hybrid that Daimler/Fiat/Stellantis refuse to sell here because reasons.
I like the Renegade, thought about going that route, but the Subaru is still a better value and I prefer driving what feels like a hatchback instead of a box.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:02 am https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/ ... 64253.html

Any interest in non :truck: 's ?
Sure, a cheap Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade is on the list. I really just need something that can tow the boat.