Cucktrek: Making Money Never Felt So Good

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:58 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:04 pm
:manuel: would be cool, but the CVT just isn't as horrible as I thought it would be.
I’m sure it’s better than my anemic 6sp in the taco. My #1 complaint is lack of power in this thing
I prefer it to the GM 6-speeds I've experienced, along with any other not great slushbox. The tech has really come a long way. I'd still prefer a :manuel: for driving :doe: but I will say letting the car drive itself takes the transmission out of the equation. The ability to tune out a bit is nice. Dangerous, but nice.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:23 pm I understand the utility of this thing and I am primarily ok with it because you can pawn it off on Infamous at some point. Until the fickle winds of womanhood blow again.
Also people who live in glass houses should not throw stones and there ain't nothing special going on in the Desert Garage ATM. I'm writing this move off to necessity. Further
I sayeth not.
I think of it as your GMT 800. It carries the same amount of people is faster and gets 2x the mpg. So everything you need and nothing you don't. It makes sense to have one Utilitarian machine in the garage.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:31 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:23 pm I understand the utility of this thing and I am primarily ok with it because you can pawn it off on Infamous at some point. Until the fickle winds of womanhood blow again.
Also people who live in glass houses should not throw stones and there ain't nothing special going on in the Desert Garage ATM. I'm writing this move off to necessity. Further
I sayeth not.
I think of it as your GMT 800. It carries the same amount of people is faster and gets 2x the mpg. So everything you need and nothing you don't. It makes sense to have one Utilitarian machine in the garage.
It does. Plus he can probably kick the shit out of this thing for 80K miles and it will still be worth $22K.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:33 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:31 pm

It does. Plus he can probably kick the shit out of this thing for 80K miles and it will still be worth $22K.
That's the name of the game and why people <3 subarus.

You get one at sticker new... Drive the piss out of it for 80-100k miles and sell for 70% of msrp. And in that time frame you do nothing but oil changes and 1 set of tires...

Then sell it off to some sucker who will have to "service" the head gasket etc. They are 100% bulletproof until 100k miles and then just disintegrate into dust after
ChrisoftheNorth

I sayeth not.
Here's the problem and why the self-loathing is so bad...I actually don't think there was a better move, regardless of the wife situation. I don't feel like I settled at all because there isn't a single vehicle for under $30k all-in that I'd rather have for what I personally want/need. That includes the MINIs I was considering. Yes, after living with the CTrek I like it better than I think I would have the Countryman, and certainly more than the Clubman. The whole small AWD lifted hatchback thing is my ideal vehicle. I've been driving :truk: for so long that I forgot how much I loved compact sized hatchbacks, and this thing fixes the drawbacks of most that are too low to the ground to handle the terrain/weather where I am. Garbage roads are ZFG, there's no scraping the front fascia going into an uneven dirt parking lot, it handles 2 tracks just fine, it just goes anywhere without drama. Nobody else makes a vehicle like this, you're forced into a tall box thing most of the time that I really don't want. I probably would have liked an Alltrack, but I think Subaru's tech and reliability is superior, not to mention I would have paid just as much for one as I did this new Subaru.

If only they made a turbro :manuel: but with the 2.5, this thing is 80-90% of the way to perfect.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:26 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:50 pm

I thought it sounded pretty cool in that video, I would probably :doit: but not if it was a vehicle I was sharing with :tits: like in this case.

The CVT thing... it really depends manufacturer to manufacturer. Some of the Youtube auto people have continually said Subie does it best. The Nissan and Honda ones are pretty fucking painful to deal with.
Every CVT I've ever driven before this is horrific. Nissan and Honda mostly, and I still have some PTSD from earlier Subaru units. But damn, they managed to figure it out in the newer stuff. In theory, a CVT is the perfect transmission, just needed some fine tuning to make it more livable.

It has paddle shifters, I still haven't tried them yet because they seem :butwhy:
:iono: I think the paddles would be pretty useful in the mountains. I rented that Prius recently in HI and in the past had a Pathfinder in HI (worst vehicle I've ever rented), both CVT. It is really fucking annoying going down huge hills with no gears.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:48 pm
I sayeth not.
Here's the problem and why the self-loathing is so bad...I actually don't think there was a better move, regardless of the wife situation. I don't feel like I settled at all because there isn't a single vehicle for under $30k all-in that I'd rather have for what I personally want/need. That includes the MINIs I was considering. Yes, after living with the CTrek I like it better than I think I would have the Countryman, and certainly more than the Clubman. The whole small AWD lifted hatchback thing is my ideal vehicle. I've been driving :truk: for so long that I forgot how much I loved compact sized hatchbacks, and this thing fixes the drawbacks of most that are too low to the ground to handle the terrain/weather where I am. Garbage roads are ZFG, there's no scraping the front fascia going into an uneven dirt parking lot, it handles 2 tracks just fine, it just goes anywhere without drama. Nobody else makes a vehicle like this, you're forced into a tall box thing most of the time that I really don't want. I probably would have liked an Alltrack, but I think Subaru's tech and reliability is superior, not to mention I would have paid just as much for one as I did this new Subaru.

If only they made a turbro :manuel: but with the 2.5, this thing is 80-90% of the way to perfect.
Eh, turbos kind of suck (and blow :iswydt: ). 2.5 with :manuel: would be dope though.

Having driven the Bang Bus for so long, coming out of a :truk: into any sort of car is fucking :amazing: .
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:47 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:33 pm

You get one at sticker new... Drive the piss out of it for 80-100k miles and sell for 70% of msrp. And in that time frame you do nothing but oil changes and 1 set of tires...

Then sell it off to some sucker who will have to "service" the head gasket etc. They are 100% bulletproof until 100k miles and then just disintegrate into dust after
I've never paid attention to Crosstrek values before this, but...

https://www.vroom.com/inventory/subaru- ... C9MH244823

That car is equipped just like mine but in an actual color. It's more than I paid for mine and it has 10k miles on it. :mindblown: I know that's just the market right now, but I actually think 2.5 vehicles could really hold their value well.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:55 pm

That car is equipped just like mine but in an actual color. It's more than I paid for mine and it has 10k miles on it. :mindblown: I know that's just the market right now, but I actually think 2.5 vehicles could really hold their value well.
I haven't seen a used cross trek here for under 20k for the last 3 years. If you don't load em up with options they don't depreciate... strong price floor on these. Which is why I was considering a new one...
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:52 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:26 pm
Every CVT I've ever driven before this is horrific. Nissan and Honda mostly, and I still have some PTSD from earlier Subaru units. But damn, they managed to figure it out in the newer stuff. In theory, a CVT is the perfect transmission, just needed some fine tuning to make it more livable.

It has paddle shifters, I still haven't tried them yet because they seem :butwhy:
:iono: I think the paddles would be pretty useful in the mountains. I rented that Prius recently in HI and in the past had a Pathfinder in HI (worst vehicle I've ever rented), both CVT. It is really fucking annoying going down huge hills with no gears.
I like the torque of a turbro, but the 2.5 really is decent.

The Crosstrek somehow engine brakes. It must be its ability to "shift" where it just stays in a certain ratio, but we have a lot of somewhat steep hills around us, and the car maintains speed really well going down them. There's very few downsides to the transmission, other than the lack of a clutch pedal.
max225

Is that one more loaded with those seats?
ChrisoftheNorth

The seats. These are unique to the sport trim, but listed as water repellant right on the window sticker, they mimic wetsuit material. They're surprisingly soft and supple, but as I mentioned, we often drive back from the boat in damp bathing suits, it's really nice to not worry about setting a towel down to sit on first. They're really easy to wipe clean too. Not sure farts can penetrate them either.

I haven't experienced particular breathability issues with them yet, even in heat. No worse than a leather seat in that regard. The cleaning aspect is worth it to me.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:02 pm

Ha, jumped the gun. Nope, that car is exactly like mine, including the interior.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:03 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:02 pm

Ha, jumped the gun. Nope, that car is exactly like mine, including the interior.
:neat: I didn't know they came like that. This is a really nice trim level IMO
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Making me regret less the decision to spring for the Outback. Glad you're enjoying the Subie!
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:05 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:03 pm
:neat: I didn't know they came like that. This is a really nice trim level IMO
I didn't know much about them either, I learned about the Sport as I was standing next to it and the :dillerman: gave me the run-down. The Sport is pretty awesome. Poverty headlights are probably the biggest complaint most would have, but the halogens are pretty damned good.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:06 pm Making me regret less the decision to spring for the Outback. Glad you're enjoying the Subie!
Your dread kind of made me want to create this thread. I think you're going to hate it less than you expect to, you might actually be pleasantly surprised.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:14 pm
coogles wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:06 pm Making me regret less the decision to spring for the Outback. Glad you're enjoying the Subie!
Your dread kind of made me want to create this thread. I think you're going to hate it less than you expect to, you might actually be pleasantly surprised.
Thanks brotha. :like:

I agree with you on the tablet thing, though. I have a feeling there will be some major :rage: moments with trying to do shit while driving. I very much wish it had the older center stack like the other models in the lineup.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:02 pm Image

The seats. These are unique to the sport trim, but listed as water repellant right on the window sticker, they mimic wetsuit material. They're surprisingly soft and supple, but as I mentioned, we often drive back from the boat in damp bathing suits, it's really nice to not worry about setting a towel down to sit on first. They're really easy to wipe clean too. Not sure farts can penetrate them either.

I haven't experienced particular breathability issues with them yet, even in heat. No worse than a leather seat in that regard. The cleaning aspect is worth it to me.
:notbad:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Those seats are :neat:
Desertbreh

Apex wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:10 pm Those seats are :neat:
LOL. Not wholly unlike Max's seat selection in his C8
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:32 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:14 pm
Thanks brotha. :like:

I agree with you on the tablet thing, though. I have a feeling there will be some major :rage: moments with trying to do shit while driving. I very much wish it had the older center stack like the other models in the lineup.
Yea...so that's going to suck and/or take some adjustment. We voiced concern with the screen in the Outback with our :dillerman: and he said that voice recognition has gotten really good and you can just talk to the car to make it do things. I countered that fucking google "assistant" can only understand me maybe half the time and I didn't have much faith in a car company doing better since I work for one. We all chuckled and he admitted that they've been getting a lot of complaints about the Outback screen.

It's cheaper for the company and has some glitz to be like :triggered: TESLA :triggered: , but I just don't like these do-all screens. My JT had a do-all 7" screen and it sucked. I guess the larger screen could help, but if things are kept independent then it's easier to use on the fly. I just love the separate screens and physical controls in the Crosstrek.

Another weird thing...we were cross shopping the Crosstrek and Outback. I really wanted proximity entry because I HATE taking the keyfob out of my pocket to unlock a car with pushbutton start. The Crosstrek Sport gets it, but the Outback Premium they had in stock didn't and was $3k more.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:11 pm
ITT The Crosstrek Sport gets C8 Corvette seats.
Desertbreh

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:13 pm

ITT The Crosstrek Sport gets C8 Corvette seats.
:dat:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

:mindblown:

Easy cleanup when the softcore boat shoot goes hardcore. :hubba: