Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

razr390 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:34 pm I’d rock a minivan. :tits: mom visited with her siblings and had a Chrysler Pacifica rental and it was genuinely :notbad:

Unless you want a specific performance/function/form aspect from a car, a minivan is truly the best bang for buck in terms of utilitarian space and purpose.
When I sold my old spacers, the guy I sold it to daily's a Pacifica (with the vacuum) and we had a nice chat. Also told me how happy he was and his R was his weekend toy.

As for vans, even though the sienna and oddysey is :nice: I'd totally rock this in my fleet, especially for roadtrips.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

New bronco is being made at 150 cars per shift… expected to ramp up as of yesterday

Window stickers are out ! 17/17 mpg rating el oh El

ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:28 pm New bronco is being made at 150 cars per shift… expected to ramp up as of yesterday

Woa! That must be one on 35's? That's...not great.

The question is, how true to real life is it? None of the FCA products I've had come close to label MPG. My GM products tended to meet or beat the label.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:32 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:28 pm New bronco is being made at 150 cars per shift… expected to ramp up as of yesterday

The question is, how true to real life is it? None of the FCA products I've had come close to label MPG. My GM products tended to meet or beat the label.
That was launch edition on 35s I believe. Big cars+tires=shitty mpg. Nothing surprising here.

I find it funny that some expect something better in 2021/22 than prior. There really hasn't been any improvement in MPG since the 90s. Tahoe got 15mpg then and gets 15mpg now. Granted it may be bigger a more "luxurious" but the general rule of thumb still applies for most things.
15 trucks/big suvs
20 mid size trucks/suvs with some power
25 for baby dick suvs/cuvs
30-40 for various "hybrid" monsters.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:02 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:32 pm

That was launch edition on 35s I believe. Big cars+tires=shitty mpg. Nothing surprising here.

I find it funny that some expect something better in 2021/22 than prior. There really hasn't been any improvement in MPG since the 90s. Tahoe got 15mpg then and gets 15mpg now. Granted it may be bigger a more "luxurious" but the general rule of thumb still applies for most things.
15 trucks/big suvs
My 2016 Silverado consistently impressed with fuel economy. That thing had no problem reaching low-to-mid 20's on the highway, which for a truck that size was just remarkable. That truck must have been an anomaly because everything else I've had seems to support exactly what you've noticed. The CT is the worst, it can't crack 18mpg nomatter what I do, and it has the "fuel economy" gears that according to the monroney should get 24 hwy and 19 city. :lolol: nowhere even close IRL.

Mass and aero have more to do with FE than anything else. Which is why things kind of get stuck in the same ranges.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/d/ ... 94921.html

There are some :dill: s out there … seems like a decent way to spend some cash.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

max225 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:28 pm https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/d/ ... 94921.html

There are some :dill: s out there … seems like a decent way to spend some cash.
I prefer the looks of the Z3, personally.
Huckleberry

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:15 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:02 pm

15 trucks/big suvs
My 2016 Silverado consistently impressed with fuel economy. That thing had no problem reaching low-to-mid 20's on the highway, which for a truck that size was just remarkable. That truck must have been an anomaly because everything else I've had seems to support exactly what you've noticed. The CT is the worst, it can't crack 18mpg nomatter what I do, and it has the "fuel economy" gears that according to the monroney should get 24 hwy and 19 city. :lolol: nowhere even close IRL.

Mass and aero have more to do with FE than anything else. Which is why things kind of get stuck in the same ranges.
Yeah, they make the powertrain more efficient, but then offset it by making the vehicle bigger and heavier. It would be interesting to see GM put a current 5.3/10 speed in a GMT-400 and see what kind of EPA rating it would get.

It will never happen, but you know, it would be interesting for :science:.
max225

I am still mildly interested in the Bronco. It is like a defender but without the defender issues like reliability etc... Not that ford is that great but it has got to be better than LR.

The various models are a bit confusing... but Ideally I'd like one without the "Sasquash" 35" mall flex tires... I don't think it would fit vertically in my garage (door).
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:00 pm I am still mildly interested in the Bronco. It is like a defender but without the defender issues like reliability etc... Not that ford is that great but it has got to be better than LR.

The various models are a bit confusing... but Ideally I'd like one without the "Sasquash" 35" mall flex tires... I don't think it would fit vertically in my garage (door).
I bet it'll be just as loud as a Wrangler and get the same gas mileage or worse. The only better element would be the drive with IFS. I'm more interested in the Defender, personally...but yea reliability is :nope:
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:06 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:00 pm I am still mildly interested in the Bronco. It is like a defender but without the defender issues like reliability etc... Not that ford is that great but it has got to be better than LR.

I bet it'll be just as loud as a Wrangler and get the same gas mileage or worse. The only better element would be the drive with IFS. I'm more interested in the Defender, personally...but yea reliability is :nope:
Yea except this thing has a really nice motors in it... even the base 2.3 is better than any of the FCA motors short of the 6.4.
I am curious about ride quality and noise levels for sure. The defender is VERY refined, but obviously doesn't have removable lego blocks. And with the defender I am completely stuck with the engine choices.... the base 2.slow seems too small (defender weighs 500lbs more than a wrangler) and the 3.slow seems far too complicated.

Yesterday I took the mini for a spin and was reminded that motors matter. The taco can't pass anyone without dropping a gear or 2, and is lethargic on the freeway. The mini goes 70-90 in 6th gear in seconds.
max225

Shitty upper dash... seems like only issue I have seen with it... and the ugly number pad. Pricing seems decent also.

Wrangler incentive going to hit 10k next year for sure. Upper end pressures from Defender... all around pressure from bronco across everything else. I am :notsure: what the Wrangler does better other than perhaps long term reliability and aftermarket (for now).
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

The whole post Covid economy is a mad mad mad world of inflation. Gas is $4-$5 (in CA) but we are offering new vehicles that in all likelihood get less than 15 mpg. I went to a local restaurant....not high end but pretty nice. New menu has no prices. You have to touch the item electronically to reveal the price. $21.50 for a club sandwich.....it was suggested that you pair that with a $25 glass of wine? I walked out.
Had my first McDoe in 2.5 years and it will likely be my last. It was like $25 for two people. Are you guys all getting 40% raises?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:43 pm

The whole post Covid economy is a mad mad mad world of inflation. Gas is $4-$5 (in CA) but we are offering new vehicles that in all likelihood get less than 15 mpg. I went to a local restaurant....not high end but pretty nice. New menu has no prices. You have to touch the item electronically to reveal the price. $21.50 for a club sandwich.....it was suggested that you pair that with a $25 glass of wine? I walked out.
Had my first McDoe in 2.5 years and it will likely be my last. It was like $25 for two people. Are you guys all getting 40% raises?
3.5% this year my man. But you gotta remember that some people live at like 10-25% of their income. :yikes:

Did some :math: today...

Commuting 3x a week to work + regular driving will cost me around $320 a month in the taco... and $250 a month in the Mini... $320 a month is pretty cheap still IMO even at $5. (15k miles a year @18mpg)

speaking of restaurants... I mean they are the epitome of inflation at the moment. Nearly fully closed for 1 year in cali... everyone flush with cash ... easiest "experience" one can partake in. Can't wait for Hawaii hotels to cross into 4 figures.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/wolfgang ... 42777.html
“People get paid really well,” Puck said. “Still, it's difficult to find people to work. At Chinois in Santa Monica it's the same thing. I cannot open for lunchtime. Or even at Spago in Beverly Hills, you know, where people, waiters, make $120,000 a year. But I cannot find them.”
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:46 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:43 pm

3.5% this year my man. But you gotta remember that some people live at like 10-25% of their income. :yikes:

Commuting 3x a week to work + regular driving will cost me around $320 a month in the taco... and $250 a month in the Mini... $320 a month is pretty cheap still IMO even at $5. (15k miles a year @18mpg)

speaking of restaurants... I mean they are the epitome of inflation at the moment. Nearly fully closed for 1 year in cali... everyone flush with cash ... easiest "experience" one can partake in. Can't wait for Hawaii hotels to cross into 4 figures.

“People get paid really well,” Puck said. “Still, it's difficult to find people to work. At Chinois in Santa Monica it's the same thing. I cannot open for lunchtime. Or even at Spago in Beverly Hills, you know, where people, waiters, make $120,000 a year. But I cannot find them.”
I feel that some prices are just increased material costs (beef, lumber) and some people are just emerging from this trying to see how much gouging they can get away with.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:53 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:46 pm

I feel that some prices are just increased material costs (beef, lumber) and some people are just emerging from this trying to see how much gouging they can get away with.
If car :dillerman: are any indication. A LOT. I don't understand why everyone all the sudden wants/needs cars more so than ever. Nothing has changed.
max225

I am mildly considering offing the Mini for a 19+ BMW i3 to commute in. Solar is going in Wednesday and It should make me "immune" to gas prices at that point. I don't think I can comfortably make a 100 mile round trip commute in the mini. :yikes:
Huckleberry

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:06 pm

Looks like the 2.3 Bronco is rated at 20 city/22 highway/21 combined, auto or manual. Not great, but not terrible. The biggest thing with the Ecoboost trucks is that the real world results always seem to be much lower than the EPA figures, and there isn't much of an indication that the Bronco can ~err~ buck that trend.
Huckleberry

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:57 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:53 pm

If car :dillerman: are any indication. A LOT. I don't understand why everyone all the sudden wants/needs cars more so than ever. Nothing has changed.
I can't say whether it is true or not, but it seems people are pointing fingers at the urban flight as the main driver behind vehicle demand.
max225

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:30 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:57 pm
I can't say whether it is true or not, but it seems people are pointing fingers at the urban flight as the main driver behind vehicle demand.
That seems like the only plausible explanation.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:33 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:30 pm

That and this being America so an entire year without pissing $6000 in transactional costs down your leg and rolling some more negative equity into your "portfolio" because the ashtrays were full in your Chevy Traverse is a fate worse than death.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:52 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:33 pm

That and this being America so an entire year without pissing $6000 in transactional costs down your leg and rolling some more negative equity into your "portfolio" because the ashtrays were full in your Chevy Traverse is a fate worse than death.
California is paying off rent … after allowing people to stay home for a year and giving them 2x the minimum wage for unemployment.

This fucking card house is starting to look like
2008 all over again. It makes sense … everyone has money or access to nearly free money.
max225

Newer bronco vids are landing finally … man that thing is just so epic …
Even in base 35k trim, you get keyless, power everything, digidash, led headlights, nice 8” screen inside for CarPlay. 2 lockers, 35”s etc.
The 2 door is actually usable for 2 people and 4 in a pinch + it has a trunk 2x the size of the non existent wrangler.

What an absolute win. Honestly I can’t find many faults in it and considering Ford hasn’t made anything like this in ages it is shocking and :amazing: all at once. They took a wrangler and improved on every area … which imo isn’t easy to do at all.

Can’t wait to see some in person. If jeep sells 250k wranglers Ford should be able to sell 350k of these things.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:22 am Newer bronco vids are landing finally … man that thing is just so epic …
Even in base 35k trim, you get keyless, power everything, digidash, led headlights, nice 8” screen inside for CarPlay. 2 lockers, 35”s etc.
The 2 door is actually usable for 2 people and 4 in a pinch + it has a trunk 2x the size of the non existent wrangler.

What an absolute win. Honestly I can’t find many faults in it and considering Ford hasn’t made anything like this in ages it is shocking and :amazing: all at once. They took a wrangler and improved on every area … which imo isn’t easy to do at all.

Can’t wait to see some in person. If jeep sells 250k wranglers Ford should be able to sell 350k of these things.
The question is...why would anyone buy a Wrangler other than the brand and immediate aftermarket support. It is indeed :impressive: what Ford has done here.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
max225 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:22 am Newer bronco vids are landing finally … man that thing is just so epic …

The question is...why would anyone buy a Wrangler other than the brand and immediate aftermarket support. It is indeed :impressive: what Ford has done here.
It's a jeep thing.