Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

[user not found] wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:20 am
SAWCE wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:51 pm

As someone who really doesn’t know any of this stuff, will it
A) be a noticeable difference
B) be cheaper to buy it like that up front than to buy the basic bitch spec and upgrade later if I feel I need them

Or is upgrading those things afterwards not an option?
You may not notice a difference initially but over time the GRX stuff will hold up better, also since you’re not a small dude, the GRX cranks are definitely stiffer.

Also, yes - 100% cheaper to do it now than upgrade later.
Thank you sir!

LBS has the cheaper version in stock, so I’ll go see how that fits and have them order the GRX for me in whatever size I’ll need or talk to them about something similar.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

:impressive: Repptar
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

SAWCE wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:42 am
[user not found] wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:20 am

You may not notice a difference initially but over time the GRX stuff will hold up better, also since you’re not a small dude, the GRX cranks are definitely stiffer.

Also, yes - 100% cheaper to do it now than upgrade later.
Thank you sir!

LBS has the cheaper version in stock, so I’ll go see how that fits and have them order the GRX for me in whatever size I’ll need or talk to them about something similar.
So as someone who was recently in your shoes, I'll throw in my two cents. I would just get the lower cost one if you ride it and like it.

1. It's available now (this is saying a lot, waits can be 6+ months to get a bike)
2. You're not a :plac: kinda guy. I bet you will like the bike and keep it for many years. Given that, :whocares: about resale value.
3. The stuff will perform just fine and be pretty robust for day-to-day use.

If you're into the All City I would just :doit: :iono:

Cyclists tend to get a little bit overly caught up in numbers/specs/equipment, the best bike is the one you can just go ride.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:02 pm Image

Tough race. Very hot, 85+ at 9a for the start, first half of the first lap had me thinking, “why am I doing this?” I just let the field go and took last wheel at the start.

Once I got through the greasy creek crossing, I got into a groove and started picking people off. Bike felt dialed for once. Nutrition and hydration was on point, never cramped, never had any issues. Heartrate was in VTEC the whole time.

Nice ride dude! Those are some wild heart rates, my heart is more of an :ellisjuan: than an F20C.

I was a bit of a lazy/ :fatty: this week but had a great solo ride this morning. It felt muggy as hell but just went out to have fun, go hard for a few segments I've been chasing, and check out a couple of new roads. I wound up grabbing one KOM I've missed a couple of times and getting 2/890 on another segment. I will probably give it another go tomorrow.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

D Griff wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:37 pm
SAWCE wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:42 am

Thank you sir!

So as someone who was recently in your shoes, I'll throw in my two cents. I would just get the lower cost one if you ride it and like it.

1. It's available now (this is saying a lot, waits can be 6+ months to get a bike)
2. You're not a :plac: kinda guy. I bet you will like the bike and keep it for many years. Given that, :whocares: about resale value.

Cyclists tend to get a little bit overly caught up in numbers/specs/equipment, the best bike is the one you can just go ride.
Definitely something to consider. I’m not planning on :plac: ever. Ride it until it no longer serves my needs. That said, if the $500 gets me another year or two of riding, I’d call that worthwhile..
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

It's nice to see someone else has heart rates like mine. I feel like I have to hit 180+ bpm to be anything beyond dangerously slow. 140? That's for riding 5 mph.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:54 pm
D Griff wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:37 pm

Definitely something to consider. I’m not planning on :plac: ever. Ride it until it no longer serves my needs. That said, if the $500 gets me another year or two of riding, I’d call that worthwhile..
:iono: I rode a bike thousands of miles last year with a Shimano 2X6 setup from the 1990s that is sooo much worse than anything new and it still works perfectly fine. I definitely like my (relatively) :fancy: Shimano 105 on the new bike, but is it really necessary? Nah. Pretty much any of this stuff will last indefinitely if taken care of decently well.

All things being equal I would just pay the $500 and get the nicer one because why not on something you'll have for many years, but if you want to get out and ride I wouldn't let it hold you back if the lower cost one is what's available.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

I'm not usually into black bikes, but I'm pretty into this one. That flake in the paint is pretty rockin', and the gold is a nice touch.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353509386896?_ ... %7Ciid%3A1

I contacted the seller directly and they said it'd be $2,200 shipped, which seems high considering a brand new SL6 Tarmac 105 with rim brakes would be $2,600 if you could actually find one, but I guess that's the world today.

Assuming I like the Emonda once it comes in, I guess it comes down to - carbon frame with with the last-gen 105 groupset and rim brakes, or the newest 105 goodness with disc brakes and through-axles but with an alloy frame? If I was sure I'd never upgrade either bike, I'd for sure go with the Tarmac due to what should be a better ride quality. But if I decide to upgrade the wheels on either bike, I'd be hesitant to do that on the Tarmac considering it's a QR rim brake bike and I'd be less likely to be able to take them to another one. I could get the Emonda, upgrade wheels, bars, etc. if I want to, then if I ever want to go with a carbon bike I could presumably just do a frame swap.

:iono:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:22 pm I'm not usually into black bikes, but I'm pretty into this one. That flake in the paint is pretty rockin', and the gold is a nice touch.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353509386896?_ ... %7Ciid%3A1

I contacted the seller directly and they said it'd be $2,200 shipped, which seems high considering a brand new SL6 Tarmac 105 with rim brakes would be $2,600 if you could actually find one, but I guess that's the world today.

Assuming I like the Emonda once it comes in, I guess it comes down to - carbon frame with with the last-gen 105 groupset and rim brakes, or the newest 105 goodness with disc brakes and through-axles but with an alloy frame? If I was sure I'd never upgrade either bike, I'd for sure go with the Tarmac due to what should be a better ride quality. But if I decide to upgrade the wheels on either bike, I'd be hesitant to do that on the Tarmac considering it's a QR rim brake bike and I'd be less likely to be able to take them to another one. I could get the Emonda, upgrade wheels, bars, etc. if I want to, then if I ever want to go with a carbon bike I could presumably just do a frame swap.

:iono:
That is a ripoff, that is what my bike was new shipped (well, $2650ish but less the custom paint it's equal) and it's basically the same build but with hydro discs and new.

Carbon frame is :nice: :doe:

FWIW I don't really think disc brakes are at all necessary on a road bike unless you're going to go do the Skyline Drive in freezing rain like [user not found] and I accidentally did :lolol: Even then he survived with rim brakes on carbon wheels. They do feel good, look good, and are easier to service :doe:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:33 pm That is a ripoff, that is what my bike was new shipped (well, $2650ish but less the custom paint it's equal) and it's basically the same build but with hydro discs and new.

FWIW I don't really think disc brakes are at all necessary on a road bike unless you're going to go do the Skyline Drive in freezing rain like [user not found] and I accidentally did :lolol: Even then he survived with rim brakes on carbon wheels. They do feel good, look good, and are easier to service :doe:
The Ribble is no doubt a great :dill:, but I'd have to wait until the very end of the year or January 2022 for one now. I've done this to myself. :ohwell:

I agree with you on the disc brake thing. I never had a problem with rim brakes, but I also don't have huge hills to go down or ride in the wet, so to me it makes no difference.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:46 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:33 pm That is a ripoff, that is what my bike was new shipped (well, $2650ish but less the custom paint it's equal) and it's basically the same build but with hydro discs and new.

The Ribble is no doubt a great :dill:, but I'd have to wait until the very end of the year or January 2022 for one now. I've done this to myself. :ohwell:

I agree with you on the disc brake thing. I never had a problem with rim brakes, but I also don't have huge hills to go down or ride in the wet, so to me it makes no difference.
It is pretty hilly here but it just still doesn't matter on a road bike that much.

I am just hoping you love the Trek, I think that's a solid bet.

I've honestly never ridden an aluminum road bike so I just don't know how good they are or aren't, people say they've come quite a distance though. I will say, steel still rides quite a bit better than carbon.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:49 pm It is pretty hilly here but it just still doesn't matter on a road bike that much.

I am just hoping you love the Trek, I think that's a solid bet.

I've honestly never ridden an aluminum road bike so I just don't know how good they are or aren't, people say they've come quite a distance though. I will say, steel still rides quite a bit better than carbon.
I'm hoping so too. I just, well, loved the Aethos minus the stupid flappy paddle shifting. Felt so weird. But the ride was incredible, the geometry was lower than I remember the Emonda being but still quite comfortable. And obviously a two generation older Tarmac does not equal a new Aethos, but the geo is the same.
troyguitar

Got the Gravity machine all done finally. Now to get the Cannondale taken apart and boxed up to ship out, then maybe finish off my own bike and eventually ride the thing... :derp:

This one is shiny now :doe:

ImageImageImage
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:jimp: :dedong: :impressive: :megusta: :hue:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

:nice:

That's a good-looking bike.
troyguitar

Her bike might be nicer than mine now, but I figure she needs to have no excuses not to ride it.

I did actually get out on mine for a few errands today and tested out the SPD sandals. They seem pretty great as a middle ground option. Comfy to walk in but gets you 99% of the benefit of :fullretard: road shoes... and the double sided aspect is great when you have to stop at every block.

I think that I need a shorter stem to go with these carbon aero bars :doe: - I didn't realize that they have a 107mm reach so I'm stretched out a bit too much with the 120mm stem. Dunno, it could also be a matter of getting used to it. Fast guys seem to universally ride with super long reaches.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

SAWCE wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:02 pm Bicycle brethren. I’ve still been eyeing the All City Space Horse that one of you suggested I look at. Question though, when comparing the GRX to the Tiagra, is the GRX worth the extra $500? That money gets you hydraulic disc brakes vs the standard mechanical disc brakes and GRX 400 or 600 groupset vs the standard Tiagra or FSW groupset.
They are both 10 speed groupsets. They will shift basically the same. Lisa has Tiagra on her bike and it works great.

GRX bike will have hydro discs which will feel a ton more powerful. The rear derailleur also has a clutch in it to keep it from flopping around when you go off road and keep the chain from falling. My bike has cable disc and no clutch and it does just fine for the gnarly mountain bike trails I ride.

Basically if you’re going off road on it the GRX is specd nicer. If you’re just going to be riding around on the road or bike paths they will feel identical.

These are basically the same as my bike so ask any questions you want. They won’t feel fast and they’re heavy compared to aluminum or carbon. But my steel bike is my favorite bike I’ve ever owned. It got way better with nicer wheels which were $500 on the nose... the brakes and all are nice but better wheels are where you’ll notice the real differences.
troyguitar

I rode slowly on the path today. :whocares:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

YouTube knows I've been watching bike crap, and decided to send me two channels with "close call" videos between bikes and cars, although the one dude actually got hit in one of them by a car that took a turn too tight while he was dead stopped. Definitely makes me want to get a road bike. :nope: Shit like that is why I never rode on public roads and focused on MTB in the first place.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:39 pm I rode slowly on the path today. :whocares:
Riding is riding dude. Getting outside is 5/7.
I'm having :plac: or just project bike daydreams now that I kinda sorta have some time to ride/wrench. This thing looks awesome:

The superx was delivered to the buyer in the blessed lands today. I'm waiting to hear that it made the journey unharmed before I spend any money. Pros Closet ended up getting beat right at the wire by a private party buyer. $2700 :plac: profit after fees/shipping. :troywax:

I kind of want to try a Chinese 1x groupset for :science: and it would be hilarious to do that on an S-works frame.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:Would you paint the frame?
It's already chameleon metallic blurple, I'd throw parts on it and ride it. Chips and scratches are great IMO.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:44 pm
[user not found] wrote:Would you paint the frame?
It's already chameleon metallic blurple, I'd throw parts on it and ride it. Chips and scratches are great IMO.
:dat:

I was worried about scratches and stuff for the first month or two after spending an extra $350 for my Sprite paint job. At the end of the day, you’re riding in the elements and it will get rocks hitting it and stuff. Better to have someone else make the first imperfections and :aintcare:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

coogles wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:52 am https://www.theproscloset.com/products/ ... vanced-1-m

~$1k more than they gave me. :notbad:
And sold. That was fast. :impressive:

I hopped on the Emonda ALR 5 today. I dunno, I didn't care for it much. Maybe it's because I have the Peloton set up so upright and because I rode the FX not too long ago, but I found the riding position really uncomfortable and the ride brutal. Maybe it's the 25s on the Emonda vs 32s on the FX, or maybe it's the contrast from having been on the Aethos last. No idea, but I remain road bike-less.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:14 pmSounds like you need a Domane/Synapse.
I think I’m just a :pussy: I’m only 34 and about 1” from being able to bend over and out my palms flat on the floor ice cold. I should be able to ride a regular road bike. It’d probably fine with some tubeless 28s, I dunno.