Northern MI Cucklyfe: Floating Garage Edition

Strut your greasy stuff!
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:14 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:31 pm Image

Not sure anyone cares, but as predicted the stupid CT is growing on me. I haven't really driven it a ton because I don't really go anywhere, but we find ourselves taking it more than the JL when we do. :tits: even choses to drive it over the JL on her own. She said she likes how high it is (I swear it has more ground clearance than my JTR did) and how comfy it is, but still prefers her JL because it has heated features.

There's no highways around me, so it's all been city. The 3.21 gears have proven to be perfectly fine, and the engine has plenty of power. It doesn't even really feel "slow" now that I've gotten the hang of driving it, it just feels 100% adequate. It hasn't shifted into 8th gear in a week since I don't drive over 60 anywhere, but to me, a transmission with that many gears makes sense to have a highway-only gear. The thing works perfectly fine around town, and that's been the biggest surprise TBH. We'll see how it tows, but I'm not towing heavy things (boat is 4k with trailer, glamper is 3k)...so I suspect it'll again be 100% adequate and probably handle towing duty better than the JT due to size.

Speaking of, the other surprise is how quickly I've adapted to its size. I mentioned it before, but the seating position combined with the cowl/hood height gives the driver a much more commanding view out compared to a GM full size. As a result, the truck just feels less massive and more manageable. The side windows are massive, the rear window is massive, the bumpers don't stick out much at all, so you know where the corners of the truck are. Parking hasn't been a huge issue, but I still don't take it downtown. Overall, I'm amazed how comfortable I am driving it.

The rotary shifter is fantastic. This is my first vehicle with it, and the ease of use combined with the space savings is incredible. I'll write up more detail in another post with photos, but this one little spot in the dash essentially replaces the entire center console in a JL/T, and it's easier to use!

Overall, this is working out. I don't even care about the tiny radio and other poverty. It just doesn't bother me because it's a truck and nothing more. But it still feels lightyears nicer than an old truck with the same features. I find myself being more excited about what it will enable (roof top tent, boat, etc) than caring about the vehicle itself. It's been a nice mental break and maybe just MAYBE I can be done with car :plac: shit for good.
I care. How's the back seat in that nasty bitch?
I'm 5'10 ish, and I could sit behind myself fine for a couple hours without complaint. The back rest is very upright, but it's more than adequate for a :doge: or the occasional passengers.

Also I love watching the rotary shifter turn itself into park if you turn the truck off while it's in "D"
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Not sure anyone cares, but as predicted the stupid CT is growing on me. I haven't really driven it a ton because I don't really go anywhere, but we find ourselves taking it more than the JL when we do. :tits: even choses to drive it over the JL on her own. She said she likes how high it is (I swear it has more ground clearance than my JTR did) and how comfy it is, but still prefers her JL because it has heated features.

There's no highways around me, so it's all been city. The 3.21 gears have proven to be perfectly fine, and the engine has plenty of power. It doesn't even really feel "slow" now that I've gotten the hang of driving it, it just feels 100% adequate. It hasn't shifted into 8th gear in a week since I don't drive over 60 anywhere, but to me, a transmission with that many gears makes sense to have a highway-only gear. The thing works perfectly fine around town, and that's been the biggest surprise TBH. We'll see how it tows, but I'm not towing heavy things (boat is 4k with trailer, glamper is 3k)...so I suspect it'll again be 100% adequate and probably handle towing duty better than the JT due to size.

Speaking of, the other surprise is how quickly I've adapted to its size. I mentioned it before, but the seating position combined with the cowl/hood height gives the driver a much more commanding view out compared to a GM full size. As a result, the truck just feels less massive and more manageable. The side windows are massive, the rear window is massive, the bumpers don't stick out much at all, so you know where the corners of the truck are. Parking hasn't been a huge issue, but I still don't take it downtown. Overall, I'm amazed how comfortable I am driving it.

The rotary shifter is fantastic. This is my first vehicle with it, and the ease of use combined with the space savings is incredible. I'll write up more detail in another post with photos, but this one little spot in the dash essentially replaces the entire center console in a JL/T, and it's easier to use!

Overall, this is working out. I don't even care about the tiny radio and other poverty. It just doesn't bother me because it's a truck and nothing more. But it still feels lightyears nicer than an old truck with the same features. I find myself being more excited about what it will enable (roof top tent, boat, etc) than caring about the vehicle itself. It's been a nice mental break and maybe just MAYBE I can be done with car :plac: shit for good.
I really appreciate the simplicity and practicality of this purty bloo thang.....
Irish

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:20 pm

I'm 5'10 ish, and I could sit behind myself fine for a couple hours without complaint. The back rest is very upright, but it's more than adequate for a :doge: or the occasional passengers.

Also I love watching the rotary shifter turn itself into park if you turn the truck off while it's in "D"
Fuuuq, I wish we had this feature......I do this all the time when I drive wife unit's T-Reg ..... dat :manuel: lyfe :doe:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Irish wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:27 pm

Fuuuq, I wish we had this feature......I do this all the time when I drive wife unit's T-Reg ..... dat :manuel: lyfe :doe:
My M3 didn’t have park. How about :dat: and I sorta missed it
Irish

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:31 pm
Irish wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:27 pm

My M3 didn’t have park. How about :dat: and I sorta missed it
Yeah...I got so used to just turning my GTI off in gear that I do it in her autotragic as well....
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:33 pm

Yea I hear ya. I mean to be honest the soggy cuckoma (01 extended cab) I have sitting in the driveway does everything "truck" related I needed it to do. Even with crack windows/non power locks and a whopping 150hp and 4 speeds, it hits 90mph. Doesn't need to be faster, and I don't need any other features.

That's just a pointless "want" not a need. Your truck is obviously levels nicer and comes with most amenities and 4x4, should do just fine.

Glad you're enjoying it :)
"Enjoying" is a stretch. But I don't hate it as much as I thought I would, so that's a win.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Yea, the back seat is just like any other double/quad/ext cab truck. Works best as a storage shelf, which is what I use mine for. I haven't sat in the back, and haven't had people back there, but it'll work in a pinch I'm sure.

I haven't turned the truck off in anything other than park yet. I'll have to try it next time and watch the knob. :hue:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Well, the size of the CT is starting to wear on us. This truck overall is sort of proving to be a fail. Not that I'm surprised, but the thing is just not great. It's a great couch, and it hauls a lot, but being an only vehicle and dealing with parking in tight areas is getting old. :tits: pretty much hates it, as do I.

Cons:
Terrible fuel economy, it cannot crack 19, even with driving 55-60 with no stopping most of the time, this results in shitty range with a 23gal fuel tank
Huge, and it's getting old
Slow, the 3.21 gears should never ever ever be available with a car engine in a giant vehicle. It's embarrassingly bad

Pros:
Comfy AF...the seats are incredible
Big bed...has more space than I need for hauling

The more we talk, I think the next move will be a ZR2 extended cab 6' bed. We both loved our ZR2. The size is perfect, it drives great, it's quiet, fuel efficiency is the same as the CT, and with the ext cab and long bed, I can still get the bed utility I like from the CT without the overall size. Probably start looking for one in the fall hoping that vehicle supply improves by then and just send the CT back to hell at the end of the lease.

Then if we need a 2nd car, I've got the wife pretty into the idea of a MINI or Abarf. That would be ideal for shooting around town and doing mindless highway drives where FE is king. Something like this would be :neat:

https://www.motorcitymini.com/used/MINI ... 24cfd0.htm

AWD, decent space, tons of features, :manuel: This one even has a pretty :neat: color combo.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:26 am Well, the size of the CT is starting to wear on us. This truck overall is sort of proving to be a fail. Not that I'm surprised, but the thing is just not great. It's a great couch, and it hauls a lot, but being an only vehicle and dealing with parking in tight areas is getting old. :tits: pretty much hates it, as do I.

Cons:
Terrible fuel economy, it cannot crack 19, even with driving 55-60 with no stopping most of the time, this results in shitty range with a 23gal fuel tank
Slow, the 3.21 gears should never ever ever be available with a car engine in a giant vehicle. It's embarrassingly bad

Pros:

The more we talk, I think the next move will be a ZR2 extended cab 6' bed. We both loved our ZR2. The size is perfect, it drives great, it's quiet, fuel efficiency is the same as the CT, and with the ext cab and long bed, I can still get the bed utility I like from the CT without the overall size. Probably start looking for one in the fall hoping that vehicle supply improves by then and just send the CT back to hell at the end of the lease.

Then if we need a 2nd car, I've got the wife pretty into the idea of a MINI or Abarf. That would be ideal for shooting around town and doing mindless highway drives where FE is king. Something like this would be :neat:

AWD, decent space, tons of features, :manuel: This one even has a pretty :neat: color combo.
Wild interior.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:26 am Well, the size of the CT is starting to wear on us. This truck overall is sort of proving to be a fail. Not that I'm surprised, but the thing is just not great. It's a great couch, and it hauls a lot, but being an only vehicle and dealing with parking in tight areas is getting old. :tits: pretty much hates it, as do I.

Cons:

Pros:

As this forum wide Mini Circle Jerk continues to escalate, I went to the Mini site to peruse the offerings. No :manuel: but that JCW ALL4 Clubman looks pretty bad ass and very versatile. 301hp, AWD, and room for some stuff while not being yuge. :notbad:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:25 pm

Cons:

Pros:

As this forum wide Mini Circle Jerk continues to escalate, I went to the Mini site to peruse the offerings. No :manuel: but that JCW ALL4 Clubman looks pretty bad ass and very versatile. 301hp, AWD, and room for some stuff while not being yuge. :notbad:
They are pretty good cars. And the automatics are pretty darn good too.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Cons:

Pros:

MINI depreciation almost makes BMW depreciation palatable.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Apex wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:31 pm

Yeah. I would trade the 440i for something else if I wasn't just getting to the flatter part of the depreciation curve. Sometimes you just have to grow up and stop hating money.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Cons:

Pros:

The Clubman is our perfect car. AWD for the snow we get, 4 doors for people but still some cargo room, still somewhat fun to drive and unique, while being relatively efficient and decently comfortable. I'd go check out this funky one I posted because I want a :manuel: but :tits: hates "car shopping "and refuses, I just want to see what it's like to determine if it belongs on the list at all :ohwell: . It'll remain high on the list if we decide we need a 2nd vehicle for sure.
ChrisoftheNorth

The value of these used ones is :impressive: but I'd never buy a new one.

That Clubman has HUD, Navi, pano sunroof, :fancy: leather, AWD, 4 years old with below avg miles for $22k with a new MSRP of $41k :mindblown: . AND being CPO, it gets more warranty.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:08 pm

That Clubman has HUD, Navi, pano sunroof, :fancy: leather, AWD, 4 years old with below avg miles for $22k with a new MSRP of $41k :mindblown: . AND being CPO, it gets more warranty.
Mine had msrp of 44,600 and I got it for around 25otd or 23ish pre tax and it’s now 17k don’t be fooled to think that they will stay around this price point. That clubman will be 10k in 2 years
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:51 pm

Mine had msrp of 44,600 and I got it for around 25otd or 23ish pre tax and it’s now 17k don’t be fooled to think that they will stay around this price point. That clubman will be 10k in 2 years
Oh, not arguing the future depreciation, I'd expect it to be horrid. But, it's a pretty solid value at $22k right now IMO. I'd rather buy it in 2 years for $10k :doe: and that's what's most likely.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

The ZR2 can tow the boat?
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:34 am The ZR2 can tow the boat?
Yep, though not with a ton of room. 5k towing capacity, boat+trailer+fuel is ~4k lbs.

That's the hard part, I really need a vehicle around that can tow 5k lbs for the boat. But I'm really over having the giant truck. I like having a bed for cargo stuff, but even then after this year those needs will diminish too.

There just aren't any off-roady SUVs that can tow 5k lbs. And yes, I want something that I can take camping in the woods. Doesn't need to be lifted on 40's, but needs to be more than a Subaru.

A Grand Cherokee Trailhawk would be a fantastic option, but the wife hates them for some reason. We both loved the ZR2, and if I can keep the long bed, it's a perfect solution.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Panamera towing capacity is 4800 lbs.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:42 am
Yep, though not with a ton of room. 5k towing capacity, boat+trailer+fuel is ~4k lbs.

That's the hard part, I really need a vehicle around that can tow 5k lbs for the boat. But I'm really over having the giant truck. I like having a bed for cargo stuff, but even then after this year those needs will diminish too.

There just aren't any off-roady SUVs that can tow 5k lbs. And yes, I want something that I can take camping in the woods. Doesn't need to be lifted on 40's, but needs to be more than a Subaru.

A Grand Cherokee Trailhawk would be a fantastic option, but the wife hates them for some reason. We both loved the ZR2, and if I can keep the long bed, it's a perfect solution.
What’s the road like from the boat storage to the lake? Elevation changes ? 75mph speed limits ?
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

troyguitar wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:45 am Panamera towing capacity is 4800 lbs.
:fuckyeah:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

That blue stitched leather is pretty fucking sick. I do enjoy the unique color combos on MINIs. They also seem like a sort of terrible buy, cool up front but then you lose your ass and will likely want out in a few years as they age and maybe become unreliable.

I do have hope that the more modern ones will be solid over the years in comparison to the old.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:45 am Panamera towing capacity is 4800 lbs.
Unfortunately, I can't afford the maintenance. Wife LOVES Panameras.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:42 am

:lol: was just about to mention that until the last line. Trailhawk with the Hemi would be :muah: