Tire Kicking By Griff

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:09 am I am in a weird spot here because I think the MINIs are really cool and the wife would be in support of them... but the fact of the matter is, it's actually a more costly car and not as good as the R. The other fact of the matter is, I'm not paying $40K for a used Civic or $45K for a new one, just kind of an annoying place to be in.

She said we can sit down and discuss the budget this weekend or sometime soon so we'll see. I'm just kind of dreading the conversation to be honest, I am a shit communicator and don't always handle these things well, which is funny given my profession is sales.
I just think the Hype R is too much. To me, a JCW strikes the perfect balance of restrained and flashy. Funky, unique, but still somewhat restrained, they're really unique. Add in the fact that you can get a few years used one for half of new MSRP, they're extremely appealing.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:16 am Griff should get a 400Z
:notbad: or a new BRZ.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:18 am
That sounds fun too.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
That might be the coolest option of all, though a 17-21 model will hopefully be cheap once the 22 is available.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:26 am
That sounds fun too.
Both look quite good.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:28 am
Detroit wrote: :notbad: or a new BRZ.
That might be the coolest option of all, though a 17-21 model will hopefully be cheap once the 22 is available.
I just REALLY like the way the new one looks. Premium while being youthful "fun", reasonably nice looking interior, still :manuel: and engine updates will probably make at an ideally balanced car that won't cost a fortune. It's really the only new sporty vehicle I'm remotely interested in.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:28 am That might be the coolest option of all, though a 17-21 model will hopefully be cheap once the 22 is available.
I just REALLY like the way the new one looks. Premium while being youthful "fun", reasonably nice looking interior, still :manuel: and engine updates will probably make at an ideally balanced car that won't cost a fortune. It's really the only new sporty vehicle I'm remotely interested in.
The new one looks like a front engine Cayman, which is indeed great. I like the current BRZ too but not the 86 (except for the green color obviously).
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:35 am
Detroit wrote: I just REALLY like the way the new one looks. Premium while being youthful "fun", reasonably nice looking interior, still :manuel: and engine updates will probably make at an ideally balanced car that won't cost a fortune. It's really the only new sporty vehicle I'm remotely interested in.
The new one looks like a front engine Cayman, which is indeed great. I like the current BRZ too but not the 86 (except for the green color obviously).
I also prefer the BRZ to the FR-S in the current gen. But the new one with "Cayman" styling is really :megusta:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:07 am
HerrBerlin wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:53 pm

:dat:

Get what you really want so you can avoid having to :plac: whatever compromise you go with soon after. I went through the same thing with the Type R by buying my mk7 as a compromise, thinking I'd be okay with it long term.

Yeah it's $40k, but it will probably still be worth $35k in three or four years.
Yeah this is why I'm kind of ignoring the GTI suggestions. I had a GTI. It truly is a great car, it does everything well, but I just never really loved it and I don't think I'm going to start.

It's funny about Desert and others saying the Type R is too flamboyant, and that is exactly why a GTI just doesn't do it for me, it isn't flamboyant enough. I am a bit of a flamboyant dude, I think the C5 has lasted so long for me because it offers quite a bit of drama.

The Type R drives well, is practical and also kind of outrageous, which is cool to me. A neon green Civic Si is at least fun to look at and still drives well. Minis are unique and fun and still somewhat practical.

This is a blanket statement but many German cars are just too staid for my tastes, I found both my GTI and 328i boring, neither were bad cars in any way and I objectively like a lot about them, but they just don't get me excited.
:impressive:

I think they need an "old guy" spoiler/wing option. Just something at 50% of the fast and furious level of the current model. It's a cool car and would cross-shop it hard against a VW R.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

This is really the answer, I just think a well optioned one is going to be out of the discussed price range. RWD, new car, great power, and dat flamboyance.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar

Desertbreh wrote:
D Griff wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:07 am Yeah this is why I'm kind of ignoring the GTI suggestions. I had a GTI. It truly is a great car, it does everything well, but I just never really loved it and I don't think I'm going to start.

It's funny about Desert and others saying the Type R is too flamboyant, and that is exactly why a GTI just doesn't do it for me, it isn't flamboyant enough. I am a bit of a flamboyant dude, I think the C5 has lasted so long for me because it offers quite a bit of drama.

The Type R drives well, is practical and also kind of outrageous, which is cool to me. A neon green Civic Si is at least fun to look at and still drives well. Minis are unique and fun and still somewhat practical.

This is a blanket statement but many German cars are just too staid for my tastes, I found both my GTI and 328i boring, neither were bad cars in any way and I objectively like a lot about them, but they just don't get me excited.

I think they need an "old guy" spoiler/wing option. Just something at 50% of the fast and furious level of the current model. It's a cool car and would cross-shop it hard against a VW R.
They made that for the ROW but not the US because murica. Smaller spoiler, smaller wheels, and extra sound deadening in the trunk:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3101 ... otos-info/
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:51 am
Desertbreh wrote:

They made that for the ROW but not the US because murica. Smaller spoiler, smaller wheels, and extra sound deadening in the trunk:

Interesting. Yeah, this would be far more attractive to me. I mean, it's not like they turned it into a Charcoal A4, which seems to be Griff's problem with German cars.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:55 am
troyguitar wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:51 am They made that for the ROW but not the US because murica. Smaller spoiler, smaller wheels, and extra sound deadening in the trunk:

Interesting. Yeah, this would be far more attractive to me. I mean, it's not like they turned it into a Charcoal A4, which seems to be Griff's problem with German cars.
This is stupid. How will others know I blew 65k on a civic. The wing at least is beacon of excess that others can feast their eyes on in jealousy.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:03 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:55 am

This is stupid. How will others know I blew 65k on a civic. The wing at least is beacon of excess that others can feast their eyes on in jealousy.
Unless it is attached to an actual race car doing real downforce at over 150 mph, the wing is a beacon of JDM vapebro to me.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:05 pm
max225 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:03 pm

Unless it is attached to an actual race car doing real downforce at over 150 mph, the wing is a beacon of JDM vapebro to me.
You’re not the target audience; mr I need a V8 to escape the cartels south of the border.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

This is more likely than the Z, which would be more expensive than a Type R I'm sure, especially in the near term.

I kind of want out of the :poorvette: now though, I feel like it is just a ticking time bomb. The diff whines/leaks a bit, the clutch needs to be replaced, the harmonic balancer has never been done, can't keep the CEL away, it goes through batteries/cranks slow... :iono: I have just lost interest in dealing with all of this and don't want to spend $4K on it when I know I'll still want to :plac: it six months later.

I have been a :poorvette: lover/apologist for a long time, I'm seven fucking years into owning this car. I think I'm just sort of done with it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:17 am
D Griff wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:09 am I am in a weird spot here because I think the MINIs are really cool and the wife would be in support of them... but the fact of the matter is, it's actually a more costly car and not as good as the R. The other fact of the matter is, I'm not paying $40K for a used Civic or $45K for a new one, just kind of an annoying place to be in.

She said we can sit down and discuss the budget this weekend or sometime soon so we'll see. I'm just kind of dreading the conversation to be honest, I am a shit communicator and don't always handle these things well, which is funny given my profession is sales.
I just think the Hype R is too much. To me, a JCW strikes the perfect balance of restrained and flashy. Funky, unique, but still somewhat restrained, they're really unique. Add in the fact that you can get a few years used one for half of new MSRP, they're extremely appealing.
See, this is the mixed blessing thing, it's a car that is cheap now but it depreciates $5K/year. That is seriously :waxer: to own.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:07 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:05 pm

You’re not the target audience; mr I need a V8 to escape the cartels south of the border.
I still appreciate the car though. Manual only, handles great, LSD, roomy back seat, hatchback. Simple JDM performance like an Integra Type R. It would be far more enjoyable to me than the plastic fantastic I would bet. But wait....there's a Formula 1 wing on it announcing my flamboyance.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:13 pm
This is more likely than the Z, which would be more expensive than a Type R I'm sure, especially in the near term.

I kind of want out of the :poorvette: now though, I feel like it is just a ticking time bomb. The diff whines/leaks a bit, the clutch needs to be replaced, the harmonic balancer has never been done, can't keep the CEL away, it goes through batteries/cranks slow... :iono: I have just lost interest in dealing with all of this and don't want to spend $4K on it when I know I'll still want to :plac: it six months later.

I have been a :poorvette: lover/apologist for a long time, I'm seven fucking years into owning this car. I think I'm just sort of done with it.
I would think so.
max225

Hey man I get it... that’s exactly why I got rid of mine too. Didn’t want to deal with a future clutch, paint issues and general old car shit. And that was at 1/2 the miles you got and 1/2 the age.

Start sending emails to honderp dealers and stop wasting your time trying to get something cheaper.

The only other car I would cross shop with the civic is the m2. They are at similar price points
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:15 pm
max225 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:07 pm

I still appreciate the car though. Manual only, handles great, LSD, roomy back seat, hatchback. Simple JDM performance like an Integra Type R. It would be far more enjoyable to me than the plastic fantastic I would bet. But wait....there's a Formula 1 wing on it announcing my flamboyance.
It’s not simple at all :doe: high strung i4 with a bunch of electronics etc, tons of E nannies, e suspension etc. not that it’s a bad thing but this thing won’t go 200k miles on super tech with fram grip filters
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:19 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:15 pm

It’s not simple at all :doe: high strung i4 with a bunch of electronics etc, tons of E nannies, e suspension etc. not that it’s a bad thing but this thing won’t go 200k miles on super tech with fram grip filters
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:25 pm
max225 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:19 pm

:lol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:17 pm

Hey man I get it... that’s exactly why I got rid of mine too. Didn’t want to deal with a future clutch, paint issues and general old car shit. And that was at 1/2 the miles you got and 1/2 the age.

Start sending emails to honderp dealers and stop wasting your time trying to get something cheaper.

The only other car I would cross shop with the civic is the m2. They are at similar price points
I am actually renting a manual M235i in a few weeks on Turo in AZ :popcorn:

I don't think I would like it as much. I suppose I will talk it over more with the wife this weekend and see where we land.
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:44 pm
max225 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:17 pm

I am actually renting a manual M235i in a few weeks on Turo in AZ :popcorn:

I don't think I would like it as much. I suppose I will talk it over more with the wife this weekend and see where we land.
Yea... the non m 2 series just does nothing for me. So I wouldn’t exactly base my buying decision on said rental. The m cars are quite a bit apart from the peasant spec