Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:48 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:43 pm

Yeah Schwinn Stingray as ultimate exploration tool for 8 year olds has gone the way of the dodo bird.
:fuckyeah: I had a Stingray too. Red, with black banana seat and angel bar handle bars. :wub:

You have one?
Yellow, with all the other aforementioned accoutrements. The really bitching ones were five speeds with the big ass mounted shifter, nice examples of which now sell for what carbon bikes do on the bike thread.

Not quite but wow. https://www.ebay.com/itm/133756188439?h ... SwS79gmJXX
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

[user not found] wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:57 pm So, you’ve probably reached a point where you can start free styling a bit.

My intent with the PZ program was to track your progress, and see what kind of measurable fitness gains you might have over the course of the program, but I figured the program would ramp up more over time, and not just be a bunch of Z3-Z4 workouts. I’ve done a ton of Wilpers’ PZ classes that have you work from Z3-Z7 - so I’m confused as to why there isn’t more of that style PZ class in that program.

What I’ve done over the past few years with the Peloton and real riding, is do a 3 weeks on, one week off kind of training. Take three weeks to ramp up, with #3 being the hardest, then do active recovery on the “off” week. That’s where I’d throw in the Z3 endurance classes.

In terms of scheduling your week, that’s up to you. I’ve traditionally left a day between most of my hard workouts for recovery. Tabata or HIIT+Hills on Tuesdays, off Wednesdays, and 45-60 minutes of training on Thursdays. Could be Sweat Steady (deceptively difficult), could be more tabata or HIIT, could be a PZ class that ranges from Z4-Z7. Weekends, go big on Saturday or Sunday with a 60 minute effort plus warmup and cool down.

Something I’ve started doing recently is building custom class stacks - I’ll do a 10-20 minute climb class followed by 30 mins of tabata or HIIT. It’s brutal and awesome.
Thanks Zack, that makes a lot more sense to me than doing low intensity work all the time given the short class durations. Maybe that program is for people who have no base of fitness at all? I'm certainly no seasoned cyclist but I'm not totally starting from scratch, either.

I managed to get a spot in the summer hockey league starting June 10, so moving forward cycling frankly won't be my #1 priority. Games are Thursday nights, so I'll have to program my rides around those days to make sure I'm fresh going into Thursday. I figure Friday or Saturday I'll do a true low intensity, active recovery type of ride and pair it with some slow flow yoga to get the hips mobile again, take a total rest day and then do a my biggest HIIT & hills or Tabata workout Sunday. Tuesday I'll do a longer probably 45 minute Z3-Z5 type class, and that'll be it.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:59 pm
wap wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:48 pm

:fuckyeah: I had a Stingray too. Red, with black banana seat and angel bar handle bars. :wub:

You have one?
Yellow, with all the other aforementioned accoutrements. The really bitching ones were five speeds with the big ass mounted shifter, nice examples of which now sell for what carbon bikes do on the bike thread.

Not quite but wow. https://www.ebay.com/itm/133756188439?h ... SwS79gmJXX
:ohdang:
My buddy who lived down the street from me back in the Bronze Age had one just like that, same color and everything. I always thought that shifter was :tits: but it would have destroyed your :balls: if you hit something and suddenly slid forward off the seat. :lol:
Also, I forgot it had hand brakes. Mine just had the rear coaster brake which allowed for epic fish tail skids. :megusta:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

These were what the divorced parents, only children got in my town... (Along with real vintage Army Jackets, Timberland boots and Puma Sneakers)

Alas, I had a Huffy.... still, it got me further from home than I had any business being at a young age and I was happy to have it....

wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Irish wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:15 am These were what the divorced parents, only children got in my town... (Along with real vintage Army Jackets, Timberland boots and Puma Sneakers)

Alas, I had a Huffy.... still, it got me further from home than I had any business being at a young age and I was happy to have it....

Damn. I still remember the TV commercials for that Huffy Thunder Road.
Dat song:
"Huffy's got a bike with style. Huffy's Thunder Road!"
Last edited by wap on Tue May 11, 2021 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

[user not found] wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:07 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:57 pm We hit the rail trail to the pier and then back to the pub by here on Saturday for the wife's inaugural ride on her road bike. She needs a lot of help with basic starting and stopping, standing, sitting, shifting, etc. I lowered her seat so she can at least tip toe on the ground while seated, but she's still dangerously awkward and blew halfway through an intersection because she was trying to use her toes to stop instead of the brakes...

That stuff all comes naturally to me because I lived on a bike from age ~5 to 15. How else does one learn it?
I’m assuming she doesn’t have a mechanical bone in her body if she’s unable to grasp the basic operation of bicycle controls.

Good luck.
:dat:

It is very frustrating, I am curious to hear about Mrs. Troy's progress. I wish my wife would be a bit more tuned into this stuff as she is decently strong and has OK endurance... but you can't really teach someone stuff they are not interested in learning.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:43 pm
wap wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:28 pm

:notwrong: , just a whole different world these days. :wap:
Yeah Schwinn Stingray as ultimate exploration tool for 8 year olds has gone the way of the dodo bird.
Now 8-18 year olds think the iPad is the ultimate exploration tool :disgust: :crang:

I am with y'all though, I find it quite odd that adults don't know how to use gears and stuff on bikes, it's all quite intuitive when you started learning it in single digit age years because it was the only way to :gtfo: of the house.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Now that I think about it, I almost never had bikes with gears. For most of the time I only had the rear coaster brake too, but I did upgrade to a chrome Mongoose around 11 or 12 with front and rear hand brakes. I never had anything bigger than that 20" BMX style bike until I bought my motobecane 2 years ago, even though I got to be about as tall as I am now.

The idea of riding a huge bike where my feet can't touch the ground never entered my mind... of course I rarely if ever rode more than 2 miles at a time too.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:55 am Now that I think about it, I almost never had bikes with gears. For most of the time I only had the rear coaster brake too, but I did upgrade to a chrome Mongoose around 11 or 12 with front and rear hand brakes. I never had anything bigger than that 20" BMX style bike until I bought my motobecane 2 years ago, even though I got to be about as tall as I am now.

The idea of riding a huge bike where my feet can't touch the ground never entered my mind... of course I rarely if ever rode more than 2 miles at a time too.
:jimp:

Mongoose and Redline were the shit in the late 70s.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar

Desertbreh wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:55 am Now that I think about it, I almost never had bikes with gears. For most of the time I only had the rear coaster brake too, but I did upgrade to a chrome Mongoose around 11 or 12 with front and rear hand brakes. I never had anything bigger than that 20" BMX style bike until I bought my motobecane 2 years ago, even though I got to be about as tall as I am now.

:jimp:

Mongoose and Redline were the shit in the late 70s.
They still were to me in the 90s. My final bike around 13 or 14 was a Redline 640 freestyle with the gyro brakes so you could spin the handlebars infinitely, twin top tubes to stand on for doing tricks, front and rear pegs, etc.

https://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/redline/79020

Dunno how I never hurt myself on either of those bikes taking them off sweet jumps and doing stupid tricks. :alpo: luck...
troyguitar

I also finally ordered a rear rack for my Trek, so soon will be able to use it more for transportation/errands. I still need to figure out some kind of panniers or similar. Moving groceries or takeout food/drinks is definitely a challenge with only a backpack... Being able to transport a pizza is important.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:55 pm I also finally ordered a rear rack for my Trek, so soon will be able to use it more for transportation/errands. I still need to figure out some kind of panniers or similar. Moving groceries or takeout food/drinks is definitely a challenge with only a backpack... Being able to transport a pizza is important.
:nice: in4pics

I have the old ass rack from my mom's bike I may put on the Raleigh but it seems like the more modern stuff offers some better mountain/carrying options. Being able to pick up food more easily would certainly save some trips in the car.

I commuted to the office for the first time in over a year by bike this AM. It is a lot better now that I'm stronger and more importantly it's not winter. I took a 12-13 mile route that is far nicer than the most direct 7 mile route. I am trying something else on the way home, we'll see how that goes. I joined Planet Shitness which is a mile from the office, so that was perfect for showering (I just put my shit in a backpack for the time being).
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:55 pm I also finally ordered a rear rack for my Trek, so soon will be able to use it more for transportation/errands. I still need to figure out some kind of panniers or similar. Moving groceries or takeout food/drinks is definitely a challenge with only a backpack... Being able to transport a pizza is important.
What panniers fit a $5 Hot ‘n Ready?
None. Pizzas need to be transported while level.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

💀 indeed. Nice work sir.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote:
coogles wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:41 pm Image indeed. Nice work sir.
I was supposed to hold the same resistance for each interval but I decided to dial up the heat and add one percentage point per interval.

Those last two to three intervals per set hurt. :lol:
:lolol: I’d bet they did.

My ride this morning was a struggle. I probably shouldn’t have gone for a HIIT class today because my legs were still sort of blown up from yesterday. I’ve been working on Nordic curls and hip flexor strength a lot lately and my legs let me know pretty quickly they hadn’t forgotten those sets yesterday. It was my first real HIIT class since getting back on the bike too, and the “recoveries” weren’t really recoveries at all for me. The low intervals at the recommended resistance levels and cadence were still around 200 watts in places, which just wasn’t low enough for me to flush things out. I need to come back down to 160 or so to be able to feel like I’m ready for another 300+ effort. I tried getting that average over 200 today but it just wasn’t happening. Next time.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:30 pm
[user not found] wrote:
What panniers fit a $5 Hot ‘n Ready?
None. Pizzas need to be transported while level.
:dat:

Bungee cord to the rack or :gtfo: in my opinion.
troyguitar

coogles wrote:
D Griff wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:05 am :word:

That CAAD 9 you linked looks solid but it seems a bit pricey for a 12ish year old bike... but I guess that's just the world we live in :disappoint:
More than a bit. It took forever to sell my (nicer IMO) CAAD10 back in 2017 or 18 or whenever and I only got $600 for it IIRC. :disappoint: indeed

Carbon 56cm Felt FR6, $1300 in IL.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:26 am
coogles wrote:
More than a bit. It took forever to sell my (nicer IMO) CAAD10 back in 2017 or 18 or whenever and I only got $600 for it IIRC. :disappoint: indeed

That is pretty sweet.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:14 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:26 am

That is pretty sweet.
:notbad:

There's also this one, which is admittedly above what I've thought of spending but dang, is nice.

https://www.theproscloset.com/products/ ... -2013-56cm
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

So, who all has had a bike fit done? I have some ongoing knee discomfort... thinking of springing for this, it is :waxer: but possibly worth it? http://uptowncyclescharlotte.com/retul-fitting/

There are other shops around that can do a basic fitting for $100-200, I think I might just opt for "the good shit" in this case.

Thoughts from the experts?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:24 pm So, who all has had a bike fit done? I have some ongoing knee discomfort... thinking of springing for this, it is :waxer: but possibly worth it? http://uptowncyclescharlotte.com/retul-fitting/

There are other shops around that can do a basic fitting for $100-200, I think I might just opt for "the good shit" in this case.

I had one done when I bought the CAAD back in 2012, but it was just the shop's "bronze" level fitting. https://www.bgindy.com/articles/bicycle ... s-pg22.htm

The guy adjusted the saddle fore/aft, and stem height, length, and angle. Unfortunately, the dude set me up as if I was an experienced cyclist and was planning to enter a race the next day, and it was way too aggressive. I think if I would have known better what I wanted out of the bike, the session would have been a lot more useful. That said, if you're having some discomfort, I'd go for the full motion-based fit. $300 is nothing compared to fixing injuries on the back end. You ride enough, I'd opt for the full spa treatment. At the very least get the cleat adjustment as well, though.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:So, who all has had a bike fit done? I have some ongoing knee discomfort... thinking of springing for this, it is :waxer: but possibly worth it? http://uptowncyclescharlotte.com/retul-fitting/

Go for the full service thing or don't bother IMO. I only had more basic services available in NY and for people like us who aren't afraid to fix/move/try/read shit ourselves there wasn't much value in it.

Related: I found a Fizik Arione Tri 2 seat for $20 on Facebook last week and it made my trek way better for me. Apparently the Tri version has more padding than the $200 carbon one I have on the SuperX, so it's even tolerable with normal street clothes on. I did a full hour on it on Saturday in gym shorts NFG.

Next I'm going to throw a 1x crankset on it, ordered a 48T one off aliexpress because almost no one makes road sized 1x cranksets. I wanted 50T but they're all out of stock. :ohwell:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:26 pm
D Griff wrote:So, who all has had a bike fit done? I have some ongoing knee discomfort... thinking of springing for this, it is :waxer: but possibly worth it? http://uptowncyclescharlotte.com/retul-fitting/

Go for the full service thing or don't bother IMO. I only had more basic services available in NY and for people like us who aren't afraid to fix/move/try/read shit ourselves there wasn't much value in it.

Related: I found a Fizik Arione Tri 2 seat for $20 on Facebook last week and it made my trek way better for me. Apparently the Tri version has more padding than the $200 carbon one I have on the SuperX, so it's even tolerable with normal street clothes on. I did a full hour on it on Saturday in gym shorts NFG.

Next I'm going to throw a 1x crankset on it, ordered a 48T one off aliexpress because almost no one makes road sized 1x cranksets. I wanted 50T but they're all out of stock. :ohwell:
Curious to hear how the Aliexpress ring works out, I will be buying similar for the Raleigh soon!

Thanks for the feedback on the fit. My main driving force is some knee pain, seems worth a try if it could prevent injury.

I need to do some saddle shopping as well. :whocares: about slightly more weight if it means you're comfy. I figure the fit may be an opportunity to try some saddles and shoes as well hopefully.
troyguitar

Yeah I tried 8 or 10 different saddles at the store, that was the main benefit for me. Fizik Arione is the only shape that I have ever felt OK on so far (I hesitate to call it actually comfortable). The carbon version is good with padded shorts, this Tri version works with anything :doe: which is perfect for my use now.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:01 pm Yeah I tried 8 or 10 different saddles at the store, that was the main benefit for me. Fizik Arione is the only shape that I have ever felt OK on so far (I hesitate to call it actually comfortable). The carbon version is good with padded shorts, this Tri version works with anything :doe: which is perfect for my use now.
Yeah I'd like something on the Ribble that goes well with a chamois, I may try out a Brooks on the Raleigh, I want that to look cool and be passable sans cycle shorts as well as with.