Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

razr390 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:35 pm
wap wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:19 pm

:word:
Good luck mang, and keep us posted.
I am fairly surprised they escalated to VTA already, usually that's what they'll do if I come back with the same issue after initial diagnostic. Gives me some hope that it could get fixed right the first time. :iono: I am thinking it's an injector. Not eliminating carbon buildup as a possibility, but I italian tune up the car at least once a week and I'm only at 54k. I have a friend with a 2016 who has an all highway commute and he drives it like a grandma and is at 95k and had no carbon issues. So :iono:

Warranty doesn't cover carbon cleaning, but I might work with the dealer or VWOA and see if they'd be willing to goodwill considering I am still under full factory warranty until 72k
I'm guessing not carbon as you don't have a lot of miles and it sounds like you drive it "properly" :hubba: . Plus, as has been mentioned, I think carbon buildup is less of an issue with the current gen of the EA888. FWIW, my Mk6 had 72k-ish miles on it when fucking Stuart murdered it and it didn't need a carbon cleaning.

I'm guessing a coil pack or injector.

Let us know what they tell you.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

wap wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:45 pm
razr390 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:35 pm

I am fairly surprised they escalated to VTA already, usually that's what they'll do if I come back with the same issue after initial diagnostic. Gives me some hope that it could get fixed right the first time. :iono: I am thinking it's an injector. Not eliminating carbon buildup as a possibility, but I italian tune up the car at least once a week and I'm only at 54k. I have a friend with a 2016 who has an all highway commute and he drives it like a grandma and is at 95k and had no carbon issues. So :iono:

Warranty doesn't cover carbon cleaning, but I might work with the dealer or VWOA and see if they'd be willing to goodwill considering I am still under full factory warranty until 72k
I'm guessing not carbon as you don't have a lot of miles and it sounds like you drive it "properly" :hubba: . Plus, as has been mentioned, I think carbon buildup is less of an issue with the current gen of the EA888. FWIW, my Mk6 had 72k-ish miles on it when fucking Stuart murdered it and it didn't need a carbon cleaning.

I had coils replaced with plugs. Only other thing is injector.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
wap

razr390 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:56 pm
wap wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:45 pm

I had coils replaced with plugs. Only other thing is injector.
Oh yea, right. I forgot. :derp:
razr390

I got called about 10 minutes ago. VTA recommended they replace the injector (only one I believe, since the P0303 code is the persistent one affecting only Cylinder 3). Advisor apologized for the delay but told me dealing with VTA is a "meticulous" process that requires them to test, document, re-test, document and send all information in for their review/approval. They wanted to make sure my car maintains warranty if this issue persists, and VTA would only continue to honor it for this specific reason if everything was done by the book.

Thankfully they have a brand new injector on-hand at the parts department, so they will swap it and car should be ready by 6PM today!

No mention whatsoever of carbon buildup during this process. I assume VTA would have told the technician to use a borescope and take a look at all cylinder banks as part of their diagnostic process if they hadn't done it already.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

D Griff wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:39 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:35 pm

It needs an oil change bad. I averaged 80-90 my last 3k miles or so and the oil temp at those speeds is 240+
Dang, just cruising in 6th on the highway? :mindblown:
Yeah. It ain't care about hills in 6th because it's turning 3500rpm at those speeds.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Irish wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:58 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:35 pm

It needs an oil change bad. I averaged 80-90 my last 3k miles or so and the oil temp at those speeds is 240+
What year is this bish? Do you have a car thread on here? In4deets.... my son has a A5
2001 Audi S4. No thread it's just my BEATR daily. Bone stock and was kept really nice by the original owner for 19 years.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

razr390 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:16 am I got called about 10 minutes ago. VTA recommended they replace the injector (only one I believe, since the P0303 code is the persistent one affecting only Cylinder 3). Advisor apologized for the delay but told me dealing with VTA is a "meticulous" process that requires them to test, document, re-test, document and send all information in for their review/approval. They wanted to make sure my car maintains warranty if this issue persists, and VTA would only continue to honor it for this specific reason if everything was done by the book.

Thankfully they have a brand new injector on-hand at the parts department, so they will swap it and car should be ready by 6PM today!

No mention whatsoever of carbon buildup during this process. I assume VTA would have told the technician to use a borescope and take a look at all cylinder banks as part of their diagnostic process if they hadn't done it already.
I would assume nothing and ask about it. Maybe even call ahead and ask in case it managed to slip everyone's minds.
razr390

Huckleberry wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:25 pm
razr390 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:16 am I got called about 10 minutes ago. VTA recommended they replace the injector (only one I believe, since the P0303 code is the persistent one affecting only Cylinder 3). Advisor apologized for the delay but told me dealing with VTA is a "meticulous" process that requires them to test, document, re-test, document and send all information in for their review/approval. They wanted to make sure my car maintains warranty if this issue persists, and VTA would only continue to honor it for this specific reason if everything was done by the book.

I would assume nothing and ask about it. Maybe even call ahead and ask in case it managed to slip everyone's minds.
My game plan is to have it be brought up if/when it pops again and have them cover it under warranty as an inconvenience/goodwill considering they did not mention it to me the first time.

Carbon cleaning isn’t usually a warrantied item.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

razr390 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:51 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:25 pm

My game plan is to have it be brought up if/when it pops again and have them cover it under warranty as an inconvenience/goodwill considering they did not mention it to me the first time.

:bruh: this is a VW economy car. You are making it seem like a. they owe you something and b. the car needs all kinds of special treatment. Just drive and enjoy and don't worry about trying to beat up the :dillerman: for free services, loaner cars, etc.

I have never been offered a loaner car in my life, we aren't talking about Porsches here.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:00 pm

:bruh: this is a VW economy car. You are making it seem like a. they owe you something and b. the car needs all kinds of special treatment. Just drive and enjoy and don't worry about trying to beat up the :dillerman: for free services, loaner cars, etc.

I have never been offered a loaner car in my life, we aren't talking about Porsches here.
Do you even send your Advisors to Turks and Caicos?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:04 pm

Do you even send your Advisors to Turks and Caicos?
:nope:

The free oil changes on the :jeep: are the extent of :dillerman: service for me. We have one more of those on deck and then it's on to Walmart oil jug changes in the carport.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Wow. Calling the GTI an economy car AND attacking the mantra that the auto service advisor relationship is more important than the marital relationship, all in one post. Might want to consider a week of self imposed ban, Dan.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I really do like GTIs, I think they are one of the best all around cars in the world... but they don't exactly entitle one to the 1%er service level, it is a $30K hatchback.
razr390

:bruh:

They have loaners. They were just all out. This shit matters to me because I have a kid and I actually still go into the office. It affects my ability to be efficient. And the car is UNDER WARRANTY, which carries a specific level of expectation in service. BTW, extended warranty repairs also offer rental car reimbursements. I was airing my grievance with the fact that they couldn’t do that until they had a formal diagnosis.

I’m not trying to get a free service. I’m saying that I wouldn’t want to pay $400 for carbon cleaning at 54k miles if the car doesn’t need it. They had the car for 5 days (today). They were on the phone with VW technical engineers to diagnose EVERYTHING that can cause a misfire on the car. If they didn’t check carbon build up, how is that my fault?

I only said it if they try to play that carbon buildup card if I bring the car in should it have the same issue.

Between work, home, family, and everything else, this is the last thing I need to keep worrying about. So maybe try to understand where I’m coming from? Your reaction seems infantile.
razr390

I don’t go into the dealer or the service bay swinging dick and asking them to kiss my feet. But when I was told diagnostic time would take 1-2 days if it’s “longer” I’d get a loaner BY THE ADVISOR, and then they come back with well we are all out of loaners and rental reimbursements only apply after a formal diagnostic is made, you can understand my frustrations.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

razr390 wrote:I don’t go into the dealer or the service bay swinging dick and asking them to kiss my feet. But when I was told diagnostic time would take 1-2 days if it’s “longer” I’d get a loaner BY THE ADVISOR, and then they come back with well we are all out of loaners and rental reimbursements only apply after a formal diagnostic is made, you can understand my frustrations.
Did you even treat him to a spa day?
razr390

troyguitar wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:25 pm
razr390 wrote:I don’t go into the dealer or the service bay swinging dick and asking them to kiss my feet. But when I was told diagnostic time would take 1-2 days if it’s “longer” I’d get a loaner BY THE ADVISOR, and then they come back with well we are all out of loaners and rental reimbursements only apply after a formal diagnostic is made, you can understand my frustrations.
Did you even treat him to a spa day?
Whoops I guess that’s where I fucked up. I’ll do better next time.
razr390

And this is more related to the frustrations with this dealer. I’ve been to other dealers in Virginia and FL who literally went out of their way to take care of the customers. Here you have to literally ask them twice because they’ll forget what they told you.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

razr390 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:27 pm And this is more related to the frustrations with this dealer. I’ve been to other dealers in Virginia and FL who literally went out of their way to take care of the customers. Here you have to literally ask them twice because they’ll forget what they told you.
:word: I mean, if the :dillerman: sucks, I get being frustrated.

Are there any other options in your area? Surely there must be multiple V-dub Rape Palaces in San Antonio.
razr390

D Griff wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:31 pm
razr390 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:27 pm And this is more related to the frustrations with this dealer. I’ve been to other dealers in Virginia and FL who literally went out of their way to take care of the customers. Here you have to literally ask them twice because they’ll forget what they told you.
:word: I mean, if the :dillerman: sucks, I get being frustrated.

Are there any other options in your area? Surely there must be multiple V-dub Rape Palaces in San Antonio.
2 others. This one is the closest and I’ve done some maintenance work in the past with them so my car’s history is apparent for any repairs.
max225

I never had those “service” experiences you guys speak of. So it’s hard for me to relate and say if I don’t get a loaner my kid will suffer. They just don’t give a shit around here. Warranty and price point of vehicle have no bearing on the service
razr390

max225 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:52 pm
I never had those “service” experiences you guys speak of. So it’s hard for me to relate and say if I don’t get a loaner my kid will suffer. They just don’t give a shit around here. Warranty and price point of vehicle have no bearing on the service
I didn’t use a my kid will suffer card. I used a dude it’s been over 5 days and I need my car and so does my wife due to our schedules and the kid.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Well, when you don’t go to a dealer they typically don’t provide loaners… :hue:
max225

razr390 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:00 pm
max225 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:52 pm

I didn’t use a my kid will suffer card. I used a dude it’s been over 5 days and I need my car and so does my wife due to our schedules and the kid.
I’m not giving you shit I’m just saying low expectations are key, because most dealers are
Shit.
wap

:nice:
I've always had good luck when my :dillerman: had to escalate an issue to a regional tech, or whatever they're called. I'm sure it'll be good now.