Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
haleyann
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Forester & Fiata

wap wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:48 pm
haleyann wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:47 pm He offered the full estimate, $23,700. Inspection went really well, he said he couldn’t find any dents or scratches (they’re definitely there lol). So I’m selling it, and I get a $200 bonus for selling on the spot. :notbad:
So $23,900 then? :notbad: indeed! :like:
Yep! Pretty happy about it.

The only issue is the remote start, since it’s aftermarket they have to do an inspection and if they don’t like the way it was installed they’ll send the car back. So fingers crossed.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

haleyann wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:45 pm
wap wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:48 pm

So $23,900 then? :notbad: indeed! :like:

The only issue is the remote start, since it’s aftermarket they have to do an inspection and if they don’t like the way it was installed they’ll send the car back. So fingers crossed.
Oh wow.
I guess for future reference it would be a good idea to remove an aftermarket gadget like a remote start.

Good luck with this.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
haleyann
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

wap wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:53 pm
haleyann wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:45 pm

Oh wow.
I guess for future reference it would be a good idea to remove an aftermarket gadget like a remote start.

Good luck with this.
Didn’t even think about it because I had it professionally installed.
wap

haleyann wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:57 pm
wap wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:53 pm

Oh wow.

Good luck with this.
Didn’t even think about it because I had it professionally installed.
Ah. Then you'll probqbly be fine then.
haleyann
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Who in New York can go check this out for me?

Gotland Green Allroad
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Googled pics.... the Green A4 is :fap:

It reminded me of this, which I sat in at the last Auto Show for way too long. Brand new it was over $100k and I contemplated how or why I should ever own such a vehicle. Blue on light int:

https://www.cargurus.ca/Cars/l-Used-201 ... =301684791
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

So, for anyone considering selling a car online, Vroom did absolutely nothing when it came to inspections and appraisals. They gave me an offer online, I dropped it off with the shipper, and I got the check for what they offered 2 days. Vroom doesn't seem to offer as much as shift, but it's an :impressive: hands off experience.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

I presume shift is the new alternative to carvana and vroom
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
ChrisoftheNorth

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:32 am I presume shift is the new alternative to carvana and vroom
Yep, same business model.

It appears that they offer the highest prices, but also have a more stringent process like inspections and in person offers. Seems like a bait and switch to me, but Haley had a good experience so it must not be too bad.

Vroom was incredible for how hands off it was. I also had no choice because shift doesn't operate where I live. Vroom was still $1,500 more than Carvana.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Detroit wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:59 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:32 am I presume shift is the new alternative to carvana and vroom

It appears that they offer the highest prices, but also have a more stringent process like inspections and in person offers. Seems like a bait and switch to me, but Haley had a good experience so it must not be too bad.

Vroom was incredible for how hands off it was. I also had no choice because shift doesn't operate where I live. Vroom was still $1,500 more than Carvana.
Like in a :aintcare: fashion or covid purposes? Carmax did the similar process when I sold the GTI, but they asked me to open all the doors, start the engine, etc.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
ChrisoftheNorth

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:19 am
Detroit wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:59 am

Like in a :aintcare: fashion or covid purposes? Carmax did the similar process when I sold the GTI, but they asked me to open all the doors, start the engine, etc.
Vroom didn’t check the vehicle at all other than a photo of the odometer. I dropped it off at the shipper and got a check for the full amount 2 days later. That’s the least effort I’ve ever put into a vehicle sale period...including trading in.

Might have been because my vehicle was in high demand, but I loved how easy it was.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Detroit wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:22 am

Vroom didn’t check the vehicle at all other than a photo of the odometer. I dropped it off at the shipper and got a check for the full amount 2 days later. That’s the least effort I’ve ever put into a vehicle sale period...including trading in.

Might have been because my vehicle was in high demand, but I loved how easy it was.
It was practically brand new, so short of physical damage or abuse there shouldn't be anything to look at. We don't have these services cross border, but I'd off my car this was as long as the purchase price is in line with market value. I am surprised that they even make money being as generous as they are.

Gotta say, ever time I buy a car I'm on the hook for enough peripheral expenses to make me not want to :doit: Just the thought of taxes, fees, winter wheels, etc, plus a new car note make me want to avoid flipping cars unless absolutely necessary. 0/7 :plac: desire this year. :disappoint:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Yeah, I would assume most here would do well with Shift since we pretty much all take above average care of our vehicles. I imagine it is :rage: inducing to the general public since most cars I see seem to be trashed, even relatively new ones.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:43 am

It was practically brand new, so short of physical damage or abuse there shouldn't be anything to look at. We don't have these services cross border, but I'd off my car this was as long as the purchase price is in line with market value. I am surprised that they even make money being as generous as they are.

Gotta say, ever time I buy a car I'm on the hook for enough peripheral expenses to make me not want to :doit: Just the thought of taxes, fees, winter wheels, etc, plus a new car note make me want to avoid flipping cars unless absolutely necessary. 0/7 :plac: desire this year. :disappoint:
We have zero plans to replace the JL for 6 mos at least...maybe even longer. We owned it outright, and will buy the next vehicle cash, so the peripheral expenses are minimal. Sales tax and reg are the biggest costs, but the next vehicle will cost half of what the JL did, so even that isn't terrible.
haleyann
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

D Griff wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:47 am

Yeah, I would assume most here would do well with Shift since we pretty much all take above average care of our vehicles. I imagine it is :rage: inducing to the general public since most cars I see seem to be trashed, even relatively new ones.
Yeah the guy was telling me stories of people who got their prices knocked down for damage or only having one key fob ($200 deduction) but it sounds like if you’re honest about the cars condition online you’re going to get the full price.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Shift is only available to select markets :doe:

Shift is an online marketplace for buying and selling used cars.[1] Founded in 2014, Shift is an American company based in San Francisco’s Mission District.[2] As of 2019, the company offers its services in San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Jose and San Diego, California as well as Portland, Oregon.[3][4]
haleyann
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Irish wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:28 pm Shift is only available to select markets :doe:

Shift is an online marketplace for buying and selling used cars.[1] Founded in 2014, Shift is an American company based in San Francisco’s Mission District.[2] As of 2019, the company offers its services in San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Jose and San Diego, California as well as Portland, Oregon.[3][4]
Now in Seattle, and opening in Texas and Arizona as well
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

haleyann wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:48 pm
Irish wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:28 pm Shift is only available to select markets :doe:

So Best Coast only :sass:
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: occasionally

D Griff wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:34 pm

Correct. :trollface:

I'm glad we have all these companies popping up that are funded by VCs so we can get near private party prices for selling without actually having to deal with people. Makes it so easy.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Update with my GTI. Car has been at dealer since Saturday. They repaired the flat tire that I got as I arrived there. No formal diagnosis on the misfire. They already escalated it to Volkswagen Technical Assistance or whatever they call it. They said they should have a formal diagnostic tomorrow-ish. I’m gonna bitch them out for a loaner/rental reimbursement soon as I need a car.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
haleyann
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

D Griff wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:34 pm

Well yeah.

I don't have carvana here. Closest hub is southern california. So it makes up for it. Other than Shift seems to offer significantly better prices than the others.
wap

razr390 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:40 pm Update with my GTI. Car has been at dealer since Saturday. They repaired the flat tire that I got as I arrived there. No formal diagnosis on the misfire. They already escalated it to Volkswagen Technical Assistance or whatever they call it. They said they should have a formal diagnostic tomorrow-ish. I’m gonna bitch them out for a loaner/rental reimbursement soon as I need a car.
They didn't already give you a loaner?? :wtf:
razr390

wap wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:53 pm
razr390 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:40 pm Update with my GTI. Car has been at dealer since Saturday. They repaired the flat tire that I got as I arrived there. No formal diagnosis on the misfire. They already escalated it to Volkswagen Technical Assistance or whatever they call it. They said they should have a formal diagnostic tomorrow-ish. I’m gonna bitch them out for a loaner/rental reimbursement soon as I need a car.
Very small volume dealership. They have a few loaners but all were out with other people. Thankfully we have the wife's jetta that I can derp in, but I'd prefer to get a car for my troubles. I'll raise hell tomorrow afternoon if I hear nothing back and still have no loaner/rental
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
wap

razr390 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:14 pm
wap wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:53 pm

Very small volume dealership. They have a few loaners but all were out with other people. Thankfully we have the wife's jetta that I can derp in, but I'd prefer to get a car for my troubles. I'll raise hell tomorrow afternoon if I hear nothing back and still have no loaner/rental
:word:
Good luck mang, and keep us posted.
razr390

wap wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:19 pm
razr390 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:14 pm

:word:
Good luck mang, and keep us posted.
I am fairly surprised they escalated to VTA already, usually that's what they'll do if I come back with the same issue after initial diagnostic. Gives me some hope that it could get fixed right the first time. :iono: I am thinking it's an injector. Not eliminating carbon buildup as a possibility, but I italian tune up the car at least once a week and I'm only at 54k. I have a friend with a 2016 who has an all highway commute and he drives it like a grandma and is at 95k and had no carbon issues. So :iono:

Warranty doesn't cover carbon cleaning, but I might work with the dealer or VWOA and see if they'd be willing to goodwill considering I am still under full factory warranty until 72k