Do you even invest?

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Starting to dabble in real stocks. Bought some T and SMG this morning. T should be a good dividend stock to hold onto forever, price does nothing, but the dividend is appealing. Plus I think there's some upside in the business with HBO.

SMG is an attempt to get into pot without getting into pot.

I'd like to pick up some tech, but can't pick one. Anyone have some good tech ETFs? QQQ, VGT, etc?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:47 pm Starting to dabble in real stocks. Bought some T and SMG this morning. T should be a good dividend stock to hold onto forever, price does nothing, but the dividend is appealing. Plus I think there's some upside in the business with HBO.

I'd like to pick up some tech, but can't pick one. Anyone have some good tech ETFs? QQQ, VGT, etc?
I am mixed on dividends... When you get paid you immediately get taxed. So a 10% dividend is more like 5%. Also dividend stocks like Verizon and ATT tend to be pumped for just that. so they have gone no where over time but they do certainly get depressed more so than others.

I can't honestly recommend any stock at the moment. Because it all seems like a shit show.

The market has shifted from "tech" to Crypto/NFT
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:51 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:47 pm Starting to dabble in real stocks. Bought some T and SMG this morning. T should be a good dividend stock to hold onto forever, price does nothing, but the dividend is appealing. Plus I think there's some upside in the business with HBO.

I am mixed on dividends... When you get paid you immediately get taxed. So a 10% dividend is more like 5%. Also dividend stocks like Verizon and ATT tend to be pumped for just that. so they have gone no where over time but they do certainly get depressed more so than others.

I can't honestly recommend any stock at the moment. Because it all seems like a shit show.

The market has shifted from "tech" to Crypto/NFT
I'm treating ATT somewhat as an inflation hedge because the price doesn't move and at least I'll get something back. I don't have much in it, but even 4% actual dividend is better than I'd get with any savings account. And I do think there's upside opportunity with T in particular.

I also think the market is a shitshow, so I'm having a lot of difficulty picking stocks. Most of my "investment" money is just in a managed portfolio with Ally where I can mostly forget about it. I'm just trying my hand at picking some to learn and see how it goes.

I don't understand NFT at all. Crypto seems to be something that might be worth getting into, but even that has me still :wtf: :butwhy:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

If you want good dividends look at MFA as well.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225

Dogecoin baby
Apex
Drives: Abominable

1. :doge:
2. Hodl
3. Moon
4. Lambo
ChrisoftheNorth

I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Sig worthy.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:09 pm
Sig worthy.
:fuckyeah:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:12 pm
wap wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:09 pm

Sig worthy.
:fuckyeah:
:hue:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

:dat: I'm just going to direct extra cash to what's least popular, paying down debt. :foreveralone:
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Jesus I remember buying and selling millions of doge in my ML bot. I did a friend a favor back in the day and he gave me $2 doge and it was like 500k doge, and literally a joke. Well shit. We still have clamcoin I guess.
max225

Tarspin wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:30 pm
:dat: I'm just going to direct extra cash to what's least popular, paying down debt. :foreveralone:
Least popular according to who?
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

clamcoin
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:21 pm
Tarspin wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:30 pm

Talking heads... gotta own some bitcoin, dogcoin, leverage and grab more real estate, interest rates vs stock gainzzz, money is cheap... and on and on.

I haven't looked at that stuff seriously for about two years and I'm happier for it. R you still investing is stocks/etc?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

rockchops wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:49 pmclamcoin
We have all invested in that dood. There may be returns, but its rarely $$
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Tarspin wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:23 am
max225 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:21 pm

Talking heads... gotta own some bitcoin, dogcoin, leverage and grab more real estate, interest rates vs stock gainzzz, money is cheap... and on and on.

I haven't looked at that stuff seriously for about two years and I'm happier for it. R you still investing is stocks/etc?
I didn’t have a too great 2021 with anything I bought... my sole purchase was apple I thought that with pandemic etc everyone glued to phone ... it’ll go up due to people using more and more Apple products for longer periods of time.

But I am still down ... 50k put in and I’m at 48k 6 months later. So I’m staying out for now
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Desertbreh wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:29 am
:mahman:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:57 am
Tarspin wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:23 am

I didn’t have a too great 2021 with anything I bought... my sole purchase was apple I thought that with pandemic etc everyone glued to phone ... it’ll go up due to people using more and more Apple products for longer periods of time.

But I am still down ... 50k put in and I’m at 48k 6 months later. So I’m staying out for now
Somewhat unscathed, :notbad:

Your point is valid, common sense doesn't yield appropriate returns. There are too many moving pieces, and much if it is rigged to hook derps like me to take my money.

Paying down debt is easiest when rates are low, and not doing so is foolish. I don't think rates will go anywhere, and when they move it will be 1/4 point at a time, with two to four increments. I don't think 1% is a big deal really, but pairing that with stock market losses starts to sting.

If there's a 30% correction, I'll be singing a different tune.

The wildcard will be how the next 2T stimulus package gets dispersed, it could be another decade of stock market grown. :iono: , it's just feels too much like gambling and I'm too dumb to predict trends.
max225

Tarspin wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:32 pm
max225 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:57 am

Your point is valid, common sense doesn't yield appropriate returns. There are too many moving pieces, and much if it is rigged to hook derps like me to take my money.

Paying down debt is easiest when rates are low, and not doing so is foolish. I don't think rates will go anywhere, and when they move it will be 1/4 point at a time, with two to four increments. I don't think 1% is a big deal really, but pairing that with stock market losses starts to sting.

The wildcard will be how the next 2T stimulus package gets dispersed, it could be another decade of stock market grown. :iono: , it's just feels too much like gambling and I'm too dumb to predict trends.
Yep. Lots and lots of variables but most stock essentially doubled in the last 12 months. Which leads me to believe that the dollar proportionally devalued. The next 12 months however seem to be a complete S show. It could keep climbing .... or it could correct. But I don’t see why it would correct with this much capital floating in the market
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Desertbreh wrote:
disagree, clams literally mean $$
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Desertbreh wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:29 am
I got my clamcoin return. :baby:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:49 pm
Tarspin wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:32 pm

Yep. Lots and lots of variables but most stock essentially doubled in the last 12 months. Which leads me to believe that the dollar proportionally devalued. The next 12 months however seem to be a complete S show. It could keep climbing .... or it could correct. But I don’t see why it would correct with this much capital floating in the market
A correction doesn't make sense to me either, but I'm also not seeing how there can be big upsides in the next year. Who knows, this is why I can't play that game.

Covid cases in highly vaxxed societies are seeing resurrection of outbreaks thanks to variants. If that lands here I guess new lock-downs could fuck things up.
max225

Tarspin wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:15 pm
max225 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:49 pm

A correction doesn't make sense to me either, but I'm also not seeing how there can be big upsides in the next year. Who knows, this is why I can't play that game.

Covid cases in highly vaxxed societies are seeing resurrection of outbreaks thanks to variants. If that lands here I guess new lock-downs could fuck things up.
Which highly vaxxed countries ?

The only one I can think of is Israel that is comparable to the US. Their case counts are fairly low
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:37 pm
Tarspin wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:15 pm

Which highly vaxxed countries ?

The only one I can think of is Israel that is comparable to the US. Their case counts are fairly low
Yeah, Isreal is the world leader. UK and Chile both nearing 50%, but they are using A-Z in the UK, and something lesser known in Chile. I don't think that those products are able to protect against variants.

I need to look into what's going on there.