Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Acid666 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:02 am Thoughts on this package? It looks like the only thing I'd need to add is the rear main seal.
Don't need a clutch capable of Stage 10-teen numbers, just something oem for my car. I'm about 20% sold on considering the aluminum flywheel for autocross for just $100 more, but I'm weary about that for when I go to sell it. The car has enough get up and go, I don't think I really need to get it to rev quicker. Some experienced input would be nice.

Reading about the adjustable master cylinder. Supposed to make getting into 1st and reverse easy. Which I do have problems with. Mainly reverse but I've got a trick that I usually do to get it there.

https://www.tickperformance.com/tick-pe ... vette-z06/
I feel like you can source the parts separately and come out ahead. The LS7 clutch kit is the Luk 04-905 clutch kit, and is $260 on Amazon right now, and that comes with the pilot bearing, alignment tool, and hardware. The slave cylinder is just a stock unit and Rock Auto has the Luk cylinder for $70 versus Tick's $140.

That just leaves you with the clutch line and master from Tick.
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:44 pm
Acid666 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:02 am Thoughts on this package? It looks like the only thing I'd need to add is the rear main seal.
Don't need a clutch capable of Stage 10-teen numbers, just something oem for my car. I'm about 20% sold on considering the aluminum flywheel for autocross for just $100 more, but I'm weary about that for when I go to sell it. The car has enough get up and go, I don't think I really need to get it to rev quicker. Some experienced input would be nice.

Reading about the adjustable master cylinder. Supposed to make getting into 1st and reverse easy. Which I do have problems with. Mainly reverse but I've got a trick that I usually do to get it there.

I feel like you can source the parts separately and come out ahead. The LS7 clutch kit is the Luk 04-905 clutch kit, and is $260 on Amazon right now, and that comes with the pilot bearing, alignment tool, and hardware. The slave cylinder is just a stock unit and Rock Auto has the Luk cylinder for $70 versus Tick's $140.

Yeah the plan was to see if [user not found] can help price match some parts with the Purple People Eater and see if I can mix and match. Thanks for the info. I haven't dug too deep into it yet, but I'm pretty frugal and usually will split up the cost if it's cheaper. Did that for the Meowta rebuild kit when I priced out a ton of parts from Rockauto but they reamed me with charging shipping from 4 locations so I just pieced it together on amazon and another couple of websites and dropped the cost a good bit.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:ohdang: I haven't really priced any of this out yet. :notbad: info, thanks man!

I'm curious on the aluminum versus steel flywheel. Seems like a fun upgrade that could make the car feel more racey for not a ton of money.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I ran an aluminum flywheel and it was nice, no real added NVH or anything. Just quicker free revving.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

I'd add an aluminum flywheel if you plan on doing any track driving. It's worth it for the quick throttle blip downshifts.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Acid666

Melon wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:53 pm I'd add an aluminum flywheel if you plan on doing any track driving. It's worth it for the quick throttle blip downshifts.
I'm on the fence, mainly because there's a chance I'll be selling it in the next couple of years. But I agree with you.
I'm weary to put it on the track tho, I'd rather put our race car on the track if I had the option
Huckleberry

D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:20 pm

:ohdang: I haven't really priced any of this out yet. :notbad: info, thanks man!

I'm curious on the aluminum versus steel flywheel. Seems like a fun upgrade that could make the car feel more racey for not a ton of money.
No problemo.

The LS7 clutch assembly is a heavy setup, and going with the aluminum flywheel certainly would drop some of that weight. However, that's puts you at over $600 with either with Tick or sourcing yourself. At that point, I would not go with a standard LS7 clutch and spend money on something like the Streetslayer Lite with a full-faced hybrid disc: http://w.ivenue.com/hendrixengineering/ ... -lite.html or the Ram 25-931HPG Powergrip https://ramclutches.com/product/25-931HPG/. I ran the Streetslayer on my cammed GTO and it did very well. I basically assembled a Ram Powergrip for my 944 using a billet steel flywheel and one of their lightened pressure plates with a full-face hybrid disc.

The LS7 clutch is excellent for stock and mildly modded vehicles, but once you start going into the $600+ range, there are better options.
Huckleberry

Acid666 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:48 pm

Yeah the plan was to see if [user not found] can help price match some parts with the Purple People Eater and see if I can mix and match. Thanks for the info. I haven't dug too deep into it yet, but I'm pretty frugal and usually will split up the cost if it's cheaper. Did that for the Meowta rebuild kit when I priced out a ton of parts from Rockauto but they reamed me with charging shipping from 4 locations so I just pieced it together on amazon and another couple of websites and dropped the cost a good bit.
Yeah, I usually do a bunch of sourcing on my own and try to figure out manufacturer part numbers to exclude as many middlemen as possible. And Rockauto is going to drive themselves out of business with their shipping nonsense. I just use their site for part numbers mostly as I refuse to pay multiple shipping charges just because the parts I want are located in multiple warehouses.
Acid666

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:07 pm
Acid666 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:48 pm

Yeah, I usually do a bunch of sourcing on my own and try to figure out manufacturer part numbers to exclude as many middlemen as possible. And Rockauto is going to drive themselves out of business with their shipping nonsense. I just use their site for part numbers mostly as I refuse to pay multiple shipping charges just because the parts I want are located in multiple warehouses.

Yup. I priced out shit like new water pump, bearings, rear main seals etc for my 1.8 rebuild.. The rear main seal is a small piece of rubber and the only part located at one warehouse. BAM! HERE'S YOUR $9 SHIPPING CHARGE FOR THIS ONE PART BRUH!
$9 x 4 locations... $40 shipping? Fuck that. Amazon prime this, 5xRacing this, 949racing something else.
I did the same where I took Rockauto's part numbers and just google searched
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Acid666 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:17 pm
Melon wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:53 pm I'd add an aluminum flywheel if you plan on doing any track driving. It's worth it for the quick throttle blip downshifts.
I'm on the fence, mainly because there's a chance I'll be selling it in the next couple of years. But I agree with you.
I'm weary to put it on the track tho, I'd rather put our race car on the track if I had the option
:word:

Go stock C5 clutch with the C6 slave and remote bleeder setup.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Acid666

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:00 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:20 pm

No problemo.

The LS7 clutch assembly is a heavy setup, and going with the aluminum flywheel certainly would drop some of that weight. However, that's puts you at over $600 with either with Tick or sourcing yourself. At that point, I would not go with a standard LS7 clutch and spend money on something like the Streetslayer Lite with a full-faced hybrid disc: http://w.ivenue.com/hendrixengineering/ ... -lite.html or the Ram 25-931HPG Powergrip https://ramclutches.com/product/25-931HPG/. I ran the Streetslayer on my cammed GTO and it did very well. I basically assembled a Ram Powergrip for my 944 using a billet steel flywheel and one of their lightened pressure plates with a full-face hybrid disc.

The LS7 clutch is excellent for stock and mildly modded vehicles, but once you start going into the $600+ range, there are better options.

Interesting. I missed this post. I don't plan on going big power or anything honestly. I'm at 400 to the wheels and I'd rather spend more time on suspension. I've got a feeling that if I went with a lighter setup I might actually drive the car more and keep it longer. But even if I keep it, I don't intend on doing any major power adders unless I'm completely bored and deciding to go with a cam, but that's highly unlikely.
Huckleberry

Acid666 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:18 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:00 pm

No problemo.

Interesting. I missed this post. I don't plan on going big power or anything honestly. I'm at 400 to the wheels and I'd rather spend more time on suspension. I've got a feeling that if I went with a lighter setup I might actually drive the car more and keep it longer. But even if I keep it, I don't intend on doing any major power adders unless I'm completely bored and deciding to go with a cam, but that's highly unlikely.
It was more a comment on the price as I wouldn't personally spend $600 on a stock LS7 clutch just to have an aluminum flywheel. The other options provide a lighter flywheel while also offering better discs and pressure plates without sacrificing drivability. Plus, those flywheels should be flat instead of the stepped unit that comes with the LS7, making it more versatile in being refinished and accepting a wider range of discs and pressure plates down the line. And if you decide to add power later on, you would already have a clutch that can handle the added power.

The LS7 is a great budget clutch kit. I just wouldn't spend $600 on one for the sake of an aluminum flywheel.
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: C5 Z06

any of ya folks have a stock c5 intake they want to part with? I cant smog my car without it :)
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Purpc5z wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:57 pm any of ya folks have a stock c5 intake they want to part with? I cant smog my car without it :)
Just threw mine out last week.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

About to have a $3-4k service bill. New AC compressor, new slave, clutch, flywheel, new harmonic balancer etc etc etc etc etc etc

Etc etc etc etc

:wasteful:
Acid666

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:05 am About to have a $3-4k service bill. New AC compressor, new slave, clutch, flywheel, new harmonic balancer etc etc etc etc etc etc

Etc etc etc etc

Airboat party.
Come to my place. I got a winch on my trailer now. I can help. You can pet Wookie while you wait.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:45 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:05 am About to have a $3-4k service bill. New AC compressor, new slave, clutch, flywheel, new harmonic balancer etc etc etc etc etc etc

Etc etc etc etc

Airboat party.
Come to my place. I got a winch on my trailer now. I can help. You can pet Wookie while you wait.
Definitely would prefer that but I left my car are the dealer so I wouldn't have to worry about it while moving and I can leave it there until it's convenient to fly back to NY for it. I was going to do 4.10s this summer but not anymore
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Etc etc etc etc

:mahman:

I feel your pain. I need to just put this thing on the chopping block because I'm too lazy to start tackling this shit.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Etc etc etc etc

The AC compressor is a big job, as is the clutch and balancer. The easiest way to do that is separate the body from the driveline and do the gears at the same time while it's all apart...

It's actually notbad if you have a lift.

Slippery slope :doe:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:13 am The AC compressor is a big job, as is the clutch and balancer. The easiest way to do that is separate the body from the driveline and do the gears at the same time while it's all apart...

The heads just jump off and yell "port me!".
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:20 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:13 am The AC compressor is a big job, as is the clutch and balancer. The easiest way to do that is separate the body from the driveline and do the gears at the same time while it's all apart...

The heads just jump off and yell "port me!".
And then the cam comes out and manages to wipe out a few lobes so it needs to be replaced.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Huckleberry

Detroit wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:13 am

Etc etc etc etc

The AC compressor is a big job, as is the clutch and balancer. The easiest way to do that is separate the body from the driveline and do the gears at the same time while it's all apart...

I do wish the 944 was as serviceable as this. The rear suspension doesn't come down as a whole unit with the transaxle, though.
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:15 am
Detroit wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:13 am

I do wish the 944 was as serviceable as this. The rear suspension doesn't come down as a whole unit with the transaxle, though.
Yea, it makes the car WAY easier to work on. I imagine Vettes were assembled this way at the factory for speed. A 944 probably took 2x as long as a vette to assemble.

And as silly as it sounds, if you have access to a lift, it's way easier to do this to get to things like the balancer and AC compressor than doing it with the car together. The AC compressor in particular is really buried.
Huckleberry

Detroit wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:58 am
Huckleberry wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:15 am

Yea, it makes the car WAY easier to work on. I imagine Vettes were assembled this way at the factory for speed. A 944 probably took 2x as long as a vette to assemble.

And as silly as it sounds, if you have access to a lift, it's way easier to do this to get to things like the balancer and AC compressor than doing it with the car together. The AC compressor in particular is really buried.
It's one reason why I am a big fan of my GTO. The engine bay is rather roomy and almost everything is easily accessible.

The 944 basically requires you to pull the transaxle and slid the torque tube back, and then the proper procedure is to remove the engine from the bottom. A lift would make it easier, but I managed with jackstands and dollies.
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:49 am
Detroit wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:58 am

It's one reason why I am a big fan of my GTO. The engine bay is rather roomy and almost everything is easily accessible.

The 944 basically requires you to pull the transaxle and slid the torque tube back, and then the proper procedure is to remove the engine from the bottom. A lift would make it easier, but I managed with jackstands and dollies.
Did you drop the engine from the bottom with jackstands and dollies?