POLE: Where in the World do you get yer Newz?

Want to pledge allegiance to the Drumpf? Clash with Caspian? Scared of the stickers on your mailbox? Let's hear it.

Where Do You Get Your News? Listed from Left to Right, Because 'Murica!

New Yorker
No votes
Slate
No votes
Daily Show (I know, but you'd be surprised)
2%
The Guardian
No votes
AL Jazeera America
No votes
New York Times
16%
Buzzfeed
No votes
PBS
7%
BBC
7%
Huffington
No votes
Washington Post
11%
The Economist
2%
Politico
2%
MSNBC
4%
CNN
11%
NBC
4%
CBS
4%
Google News
2%
Bloomsburg News
No votes
ABC
No votes
USA Today
No votes
Yahoo News
4%
Wall Street Journal
4%
Miata
2%
:balls:
9%
FOX News
7%
Drudge Report
No votes
Breitbart
No votes
The Blaze
No votes
Sean Hannity Show
No votes
Tucker Carlson Show
No votes
Glen Beck Show
No votes
Newsmax
No votes
One America News
No votes

Total votes: 45
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

I found this site fascinating.

https://guides.lib.umich.edu/c.php?g=637508&p=4462444

It charts where various news sources fall on the political spectrum. Whether it is completely accurate is up for debate but in broad strokes it seems to place most outlets in the general vicinity of where you might expect. Its actually a little old (2014) but I doubt if these sources have changed much.

I try to watch a smattering of sources and not succumb to availing myself of the "echo chamber" effect. Its not easy. But I tend to shy away from the opinionated "personalities" and focus on the "news" segments.

I feel that many people fall into this trap though and only watch what supports their already formed world view. Then the algorithm's kick in and they are only fed more and more of the same.

I added some additional sources, Please don't hold me to the poll order I am only a casual politics watcher.

What sources do you like and why?
Last edited by Irish on Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Irish

This site is pretty cool too..... it reportedly uses an algorithm to "present" multiple sources side by side in order to provide the full scope of news reporting"

https://www.allsides.com/unbiased-balanced-news
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

The bottom 5 are faaaaaar from legit news sources, but interesting thread. :like:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

I use Fox and CNN to see what the spin is from each side. Also, if they both have the basic facts, it's likely true.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

I don’t go on any news website or specific channel. I have set up my Twitter alrogithm (years of use) to give me all verified news streams and then I follow a few people in each region of the country that are “first on scene” and report unverified/real-time news that often breaks 15-30 mins later on verified news.

The algorithm works super well and I’ve gotten a lot of crazy events ahead of time. I prefer that versus just watching or filtering between channels, etc

I also get NYTimes and AP World News morning newsletters delivered to my inbox.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

I get most of my news from NBC and NYT. Occasionally PBS and BBC. I used to watch Fox during legit news segments from Shepard Smith and/or Chris Wallace.

Happy to see that people aren't using Tucker, Hannity or Beck for news sources. They're all pieces of shit. Tucker is more than likely a white supremacist.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Apex
Drives: Abominable

There is no legit news anymore.
Irish

Melon wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:41 pm I use Fox and CNN to see what the spin is from each side. Also, if they both have the basic facts, it's likely true.
I especially tried to do this around the election in an effort to get both sides of stories.
razr390 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:24 am I don’t go on any news website or specific channel. I have set up my Twitter alrogithm (years of use) to give me all verified news streams and then I follow a few people in each region of the country that are “first on scene” and report unverified/real-time news that often breaks 15-30 mins later on verified news.

The algorithm works super well and I’ve gotten a lot of crazy events ahead of time. I prefer that versus just watching or filtering between channels, etc

Cool, I get the NYT newsletter too.
4zilch wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:43 am I get most of my news from NBC and NYT. Occasionally PBS and BBC. I used to watch Fox during legit news segments from Shepard Smith and/or Chris Wallace.

Happy to see that people aren't using Tucker, Hannity or Beck for news sources. They're all pieces of shit. Tucker is more than likely a white supremacist.
Agreed, those guys are "entertainers" not journalists..... Unfortunately a large segment of the population doesn't seem to get that,,,,,
Apex wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:48 am There is no legit news anymore.
:notwrong:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Not listed, I also enjoy VICE news and Last week tonight. I also recognize that they're heavily left, but largely fact based.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Irish

4zilch wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:20 am Not listed, I also enjoy VICE news and Last week tonight. I also recognize that they're heavily left, but largely fact based.
Love Last Week Tonight but its more video essays on topics than news.....

I really miss Jon Stewart...because even though the TDS was comedy he brought his brilliant sensibilities to it...... and it exposed news stories that I wouldn't have otherwise known about....
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

4zilch wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:43 am Tucker is more than likely a white supremacist.
At the least he panders to them, still piece of shit territory.

BBC has good articles that find myself reading from time to time, and snippets of broadcasts.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Irish wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:59 pm I really miss Jon Stewart...because even though the TDS was comedy he brought his brilliant sensibilities to it...... and it exposed news stories that I wouldn't have otherwise known about....
Agreed.
I went to the Rally to Restore Sanity/Fear in October of 2010.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

razr390 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:24 am I don’t go on any news website or specific channel. I have set up my Twitter alrogithm (years of use) to give me all verified news streams and then I follow a few people in each region of the country that are “first on scene” and report unverified/real-time news that often breaks 15-30 mins later on verified news.

:dat: I also tend to learn things a lot faster from social media as opposed to on TV.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Im more of a nytimes and nbc guy than anything else. But I also don't bite the bait the second I read it too.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Irish

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:42 pm

:dat: I also tend to learn things a lot faster from social media as opposed to on TV.
Beware social media for news man, the algorithm feeds people what it thinks they want to see. Your Facebook is different than my Facebook is different than the next guys Facebook.

https://graphics.wsj.com/blue-feed-red-feed/

Also if you haven't watched this, I suggest you check it out.....it was very eye opening .......

MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Irish wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:50 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:42 pm

Beware social media for news man, the algorithm feeds people what it thinks they want to see. Your Facebook is different than my Facebook is different than the next guys Facebook.

https://graphics.wsj.com/blue-feed-red-feed/

Also if you haven't watched this, I suggest you check it out.....it was very eye opening .......

I have actually watched that and it doesn't really surprise me one bit.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

I read the NYT newsletter in the mornings. It tends to be pretty levelheaded, in my opinion.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Huckleberry wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:35 am I read the NYT newsletter in the mornings. It tends to be pretty levelheaded, in my opinion.
I read that too, and I agree with you.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Irish

Me three
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Apex wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:48 am There is no legit news anymore.
:dat:

I trust very little of what I read from any source.

I like the economist for business related things, that's about it.

Most important is to attempt to pull the facts out and formulate your own opinions. I can't stand any sort of media that's spinning something in any sort of direction...which they all do for eyeballs these days. :disgust:
Last edited by ChrisoftheNorth on Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

:derp:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.