OT 19: Masks On, Clothes Off, Right Hand Left Titty

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:40 am
troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:19 am "Should be able to..." is a nice thing to say but so far every application has been crickets for 8-9 years now. Literally zero interviews besides Corning since late 2012.
Might be time to invest in a career coach if she hasn't already, something's amiss here given her experience.
Interesting idea, actually. They might be able to help figure out the right path with her current experience.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote:
razr390 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:50 am So it’s being in the no mans land of overqualified for entry/associate/mid level jobs but under qualified for senior/director/executive level jobs?
The issue is 8 years at Corning. At that point you’re pigeon held to that location/type of work. That’s honestly the main issue the way I see it.
At the end of grad school, applying everywhere in the world netted 3 interviews in late 2012 to early 2013:

Corning
A dog food plant in Berwick, PA
An Amazon distribution center in Hazleton, PA

Corning was the only offer. There have been a grand total of 3 job offers ever and IIRC 7-8 interviews since 2007.

Similarly I've only ever had 4 interviews and one job offer back in 2011.
troyguitar

And mortgage rates jumped another quarter percent today. $15k more down the drain. :wasteful:
troyguitar

Guess my plan of only posting positive things didn't last. :ohwell:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:19 am And mortgage rates jumped another quarter percent today. $15k more down the drain. :wasteful:
At least you're buying. Can't be priced out of a market if you already own the house.

I sit here every day wondering if I should have tried to buy a house in NC instead of rent one.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:21 am Guess my plan of only posting positive things didn't last. :ohwell:
:lolol:

Problem is, life isn't all sunshine and rainbows as you and all of us know. Venting is good, and we'd all love to help you find a solution. It's just a super strange time right now. Risks and leaps of faith are a requirement for what you're looking to do.

It has been a sobering reality for us and our move up north with how bad job prospects are. I suspect your area of FL is similar. Remote work is really our only chance, and while those opportunities are increasing, I think there's going to be some prep required to appeal to recruiters of those sorts of jobs. Also, taking a pay cut is the most likely outcome, so rebudgeting to accommodate for that will be required, sadly.

But living in a place you want to live in is just fantastic, and frankly worth some income loss. Working longer somewhere you love to live is probably worth it vs being miserable for another 10-15 years just to make bank. Life is short.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:28 am
troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:21 am Guess my plan of only posting positive things didn't last. :ohwell:
:lolol:

Problem is, life isn't all sunshine and rainbows as you and all of us know. Venting is good, and we'd all love to help you find a solution. It's just a super strange time right now. Risks and leaps of faith are a requirement for what you're looking to do.

It has been a sobering reality for us and our move up north with how bad job prospects are. I suspect your area of FL is similar. Remote work is really our only chance, and while those opportunities are increasing, I think there's going to be some prep required to appeal to recruiters of those sorts of jobs. Also, taking a pay cut is the most likely outcome, so rebudgeting to accommodate for that will be required, sadly.

But living in a place you want to live in is just fantastic, and frankly worth some income loss. Working longer somewhere you love to live is probably worth it vs being miserable for another 10-15 years just to make bank. Life is short.
All :dat:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I think the issue has no easy solution. If I was troys sig other I would give up on lateral moves, and take a step down. Sr analyst level (where she was a few years ago) is the most common level of work in white collar land.

It’ll take a few years to move back up but I don’t see another way, unless Corning is going to be the perma spot.

It’ll be a big pay cut but if that’s the difference between sunny Florida or “hell on earth” Corning then that should be the move.

60-80k a year would be the pay... which I’m sure is not well liked. But the house remains affordable still.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:24 am
troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:19 am And mortgage rates jumped another quarter percent today. $15k more down the drain. :wasteful:
At least you're buying. Can't be priced out of a market if you already own the house.

I sit here every day wondering if I should have tried to buy a house in NC instead of rent one.
Nah, you're better off renting right now IMO. Look at what 'pex has had to go through looking for a house in NJ. It's just madness everywhere, unless you get lucky like Troy, it's just not worth the hassle at this time.

Move to the new area, make sure you like it, then hone in on a place to settle down if that's what you want to do. Nothing lasts forever, even though it seems like the real estate market will never slow down, it absolutely will eventually.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:39 am I think the issue has no easy solution. If I was troys sig other I would give up on lateral moves, and take a step down. Sr analyst level (where she was a few years ago) is the most common level of work in white collar land.

It’ll take a few years to move back up but I don’t see another way, unless Corning is going to be the perma spot.

It’ll be a big pay cut but if that’s the difference between sunny Florida or “hell on earth” Corning then that should be the move.

60-80k a year would be the pay... which I’m sure is not well liked. But the house remains affordable still.
Exactly :dat:
troyguitar

max225 wrote:I think the issue has no easy solution. If I was troys sig other I would give up on lateral moves, and take a step down. Sr analyst level (where she was a few years ago) is the most common level of work in white collar land.

That's in no way affordable.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:42 am
max225 wrote:I think the issue has no easy solution. If I was troys sig other I would give up on lateral moves, and take a step down. Sr analyst level (where she was a few years ago) is the most common level of work in white collar land.

That's in no way affordable.
Are you not working ? Even at 40k a year for you, you’ll be at 100k a year or so or 1/3 of the house purchase price. Which is definitely affordable.

You should clear 6k net a month with a 2k all in mortgage/prop tax. What am I missing ?
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:42 am That's in no way affordable.
Are you not working ? Even at 40k a year for you, you’ll be at 100k a year or so or 1/3 of the house purchase price. Which is definitely affordable.

You should clear 6k net a month with a 2k all in mortgage/prop tax. What am I missing ?
I'm worthless and will make minimum wage at best for the foreseeable future. You're talking about a ~50% pay cut combined with a ~doubling of our expenses.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

I will say the prospects for jobs in Tampa metro area are higher than North Michigan that you mentioned, Detroit.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:48 am
max225 wrote:

I'm worthless and will make minimum wage at best for the foreseeable future. You're talking about a ~50% pay cut combined with a ~doubling of our expenses.
Do you have a resume? Just so I get an idea. I am sure you can get a “job” making $30-40k in Florida even if it’s doing basic computer literacy shit for a small business.

It won’t be the dream job, but I don’t think the dream jobs will come alongside the dream house and relocation.

Better to move down and make $100k household and then apply for more specialized roles to get back to where you both were than just admitting defeat and being miserable (your own words) for the rest of your life in Corning.

I do think a step down like Max mentioned is inevitable. Depending on the job you may swing $100k on the high end for the lady as there are a lot of decent big companies/healthcare systems/hospitality/tourism/etc industries in Tampa area.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:54 am
It's all good dude, venting is healthy - just don't direct your anger at us as you sometimes do.

I know that I can speak for everyone here - we all want you and the wife to succeed in life.

But anyways, you also need to be happy. Being miserable for a paycheck does not a good life make.
:dat:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:48 am
max225 wrote:

Yes, but you’re not addressing the elephant in the room. Which is leaving Corning.

Also so far the mortgage thing is still ok, they won’t know shit about your wife’s WFH “no”.

I would move and try to make it work, I think 300k for a house is very reasonable, and you can do it on sub 6 figure jobs easily.

I mean you have to pick your battle, staying in Corning and saving was not the way to go I thought.

I wouldn’t look at this pay reduction as permanent.
Your wife has a great background and she will be at prior levels quicker than you think.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:54 am
It's all good dude, venting is healthy - just don't direct your anger at us as you sometimes do.

I know that I can speak for everyone here - we all want you and the wife to succeed in life.

But anyways, you also need to be happy. Being miserable for a paycheck does not a good life make.
:dat:
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Troy, is your wife in supply chain with Corning? My BIL reached out to me for a gig at EY where he’s working now. I can forward along her resume if you’d like. WFH for now, but may require relocating to DFW area down the road.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:57 am
razr390 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:50 am

So it’s being in the no mans land of overqualified for entry/associate/mid level jobs but under qualified for senior/director/executive level jobs?
No, it has nothing to do with job status/hierarchy, it has to do with work experience and company.

Everything is digital/software now, and that's the experience recruiters are looking for. Corning, GM, these are old ancient companies that produce real products that have nothing to do with software and tech.

I have 10 years of product management experience, which apparently is entirely worthless in the digital world. Of the few interviews I've managed to score, they end up telling me that they chose someone "with digital experience" instead. I suspect that's also code for "I'm too expensive", but that's the reason I've been given. I have an interview with a medical supply company managing what products are sold on the websites, completely menial compare to managing an entire vehicle program, but that's all I'm qualified for apparently outside of automotive.

Which is why I'm considering the google certs. SOMETHING to show on my resume that I'm not obsolete in this digital world.
I took about a $30k paycut to get the job I ended up with.
I did end up with about 4-5 interviews last year though.

Troy have someone totally removed from her line of work read her resume and see if any of it makes sense to them. If not or if anything is fuzzy remove the industry specific terminology.

PM me and I’ll give you my email I’d be glad to do it.
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:48 am I'm worthless and will make minimum wage at best for the foreseeable future. You're talking about a ~50% pay cut combined with a ~doubling of our expenses.
Yes, but you’re not addressing the elephant in the room. Which is leaving Corning.

Also so far the mortgage thing is still ok, they won’t know shit about your wife’s WFH “no”.

I would move and try to make it work, I think 300k for a house is very reasonable, and you can do it on sub 6 figure jobs easily.

I mean you have to pick your battle, staying in Corning and saving was not the way to go I thought.

I wouldn’t look at this pay reduction as permanent.
Your wife has a great background and she will be at prior levels quicker than you think.
This is effectively more like $400k by the time it gets a roof, wiring, etc. plus the kitchen is heinous. Not a barbie dream house by any means, plus we'll of course have to pay a higher interest rate and tax rate than you, Chris, Dan, etc. Maybe everyone here?

We currently spend/save basically $70k a year on healthcare and retirement.
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:52 am I will say the prospects for jobs in Tampa metro area are higher than North Michigan that you mentioned, Detroit.
I should hope so!
razr390

[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:24 pm I giggle every time someone uses heinous on here. It's such a DFD way to describe things you dislike.
:giggle:

:heinous:
razr390

razr390 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:27 pm
[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:24 pm I giggle every time someone uses heinous on here. It's such a DFD way to describe things you dislike.
:giggle:

:heinous:
:disappoint: we need ‘moji’s for this
troyguitar

I'm probably :wrong: on the tax front, NJ likely wins that prize. St Pete is around 2%, nearly double CA. :wasteful: