Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:54 pm There a plenty of VERY NICE C6GS in the MID Thirties, and if you are madbro because the car you want costs 36 grand not 32 grand I don't know what to tell you in an era of $180K Sprinter vans with butcher block interiors.
More to think about. It is more like... is it worth a $10K premium over a Z51? In many ways the answer (to me) is yes. BUT, let's say things do change and I sell the car in two years because I'm not a dad and don't want to have two cars or whatever such thing, will tracking destroy that $10K premium.

I am certainly not a 'I'm buying a car as an investment' guy, but I also don't want to lose my ass. 40% loss on my :mk6: in 2.5 years was pretty meh, 40% loss on my :poorvette: in 7 years is :notbad:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:19 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:54 pm There a plenty of VERY NICE C6GS in the MID Thirties, and if you are madbro because the car you want costs 36 grand not 32 grand I don't know what to tell you in an era of $180K Sprinter vans with butcher block interiors.
More to think about. It is more like... is it worth a $10K premium over a Z51? In many ways the answer (to me) is yes. BUT, let's say things do change and I sell the car in two years because I'm not a dad and don't want to have two cars or whatever such thing, will tracking destroy that $10K premium.

I am certainly not a 'I'm buying a car as an investment' guy, but I also don't want to lose my ass. 40% loss on my :mk6: in 2.5 years was pretty meh, 40% loss on my :poorvette: in 7 years is :notbad:
Brand new one for $40K ask.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Probably about in the sweet spot. 4LT, Leather encrusted. Offer $33K.

RIGHT THERE IN CHARLOTTE
Last edited by Desertbreh on Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:19 pm

Just don't buy a creampuff. Buy something with ~50k-70k miles on it and maybe not in the prettiest shape. That way the hit from use won't be as bad.

A low $30k example will always be mid $20's at the worst. Especially a GS because of the desirable hardware.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:57 pm Probably about in the sweet spot. 4LT, Leather encrusted. Offer $33K.

4LT is legit :nice:

I don't see how this car could be worth less than mid $20k in a few years even with some tracking and miles.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:57 pm Probably about in the sweet spot. 4LT, Leather encrusted. Offer $33K.

RIGHT THERE IN CHARLOTTE
WITH A COMPASS!!
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:32 pm

RIGHT THERE IN CHARLOTTE
WITH A COMPASS!!
:zing:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:00 pm

I don't see how this car could be worth less than mid $20k in a few years even with some tracking and miles.
Gonna lose 10k if you beat a GS to shit, and you're gonna lose 10K if you beat a LS3 Z51 to shit too IMO.

I love that red one since it's nearly the same color so most people won't even realize you did a :waxer: upgrade
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:49 pm

Gonna lose 10k if you beat a GS to shit, and you're gonna lose 10K if you beat a LS3 Z51 to shit too IMO.

I love that red one since it's nearly the same color so most people won't even realize you did a :waxer: upgrade
Well yea, if it's totaled than sure, it's worthless. I don't think Griff would beat it up THAT badly.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:51 pm

Well yea, if it's totaled than sure, it's worthless. I don't think Griff would beat it up THAT badly.
Exactly that's worst case scenario. IMO no matter what you'll the difference back when it's time to sell the GS.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:lolol: that was my exact thought. FLying under the radar hardcore on that if I stuck with old man red. It is a nice car for sure.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:51 pm

:dat:

I still get compliments on my current one all the time. Only I really notice that it's worse for the wear after seven years as my daily, 45K miles in my ownershit and 20 something HPDE days.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:58 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:18 pm

Thing is, the best place to get the gears done "doesn't do clutch work" so it gets a bit more complicated. It is also like $3K. I am :notsure: if the 4.10s actually make it better/more fun on track, they definitely do on the street.

All of that out of the way, I like where your head's at and that is likely the answer. The thing is just so fun and I love it. If I keep it, I will likely wind up in something more like a GTI/Si/Mini/FoST when I need a daily again rather than their big brothers, but probably :poorvette: + FoST > FoRS. Maybe I can just :troywax: on widening the driveway to make three cars less annoying.
Just park it in the yard, brother.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Any car worth it's paint job should get PPF installed. I have it on my 4 yr old highway bruiser and the front of my car is mint. Pics for attention below, 127k kms of pure highway rock flinging lyfe. It's great stuff.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:32 pm Any car worth it's paint job should get PPF installed. I have it on my 4 yr old highway bruiser and the front of my car is mint. Pics for attention below, 127k kms of pure highway rock flinging lyfe. It's great stuff.

Yeah I put some 3M film on my new :fancy: bicycle... my installation skills sucked, but it is pretty cool stuff. I will get it if I get anything nice. At this point the :poorvette: is kinda past the point of me giving that much of a shit. I still detail the interior, wash it, wax it once or twice a year, but I'm not losing sleep over the thing.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:12 pm
Yeah I put some 3M film on my new :fancy: bicycle... my installation skills sucked, but it is pretty cool stuff. I will get it if I get anything nice. At this point the :poorvette: is kinda past the point of me giving that much of a shit. I still detail the interior, wash it, wax it once or twice a year, but I'm not losing sleep over the thing.
The C5 is Swiss 🧀, no point now but definitely a great way to protect a 30k thing from stone chips, sand blasting, or cone rash. I guess it is one extra cost to tally into the whole equation.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:43 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:12 pm
The C5 is Swiss 🧀, no point now but definitely a great way to protect a 30k thing from stone chips, sand blasting, or cone rash. I guess it is one extra cost to tally into the whole equation.
I think it’s worth it if I end up getting something nice though.

I will look this stuff up but curious if anyone knows the following:

C6 weak points on track?
Are C5/C6 exhaust the same?
Does C6 trailer hitch install still involve the drilling :bs: ?
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:19 am
Tarspin wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:43 pm

I think it’s worth it if I end up getting something nice though.

C6 weak points on track?
Exhaust is not the same.

Weak points are the same as the C5...few.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:19 am I think it’s worth it if I end up getting something nice though.

C6 weak points on track?
Exhaust is not the same.

LS3's have oiling issues on track unless you get a grand sport.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:30 am
Detroit wrote: Exhaust is not the same.

:word: I figured you may have some insight into this.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:30 am LS3's have oiling issues on track unless you get a grand sport.
:word: I figured you may have some insight into this.
Yeah I know it's the main issue that a C5 does not have, dunno whether something as simple as an accusump and an extra quart is sufficient though or if you need a real dry sump system. I never looked further into it since I didn't buy one.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:30 am
Detroit wrote: Exhaust is not the same.

Which is why GS's got dry sump I beleive?
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:33 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:30 am LS3's have oiling issues on track unless you get a grand sport.
Which is why GS's got dry sump I beleive?
I believe the C5's batwing pan has proven to be better for road courses. The dry sump is the best option, which is why the GS, Z06, and ZR1 got them.
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Thoughts on this package? It looks like the only thing I'd need to add is the rear main seal.
Don't need a clutch capable of Stage 10-teen numbers, just something oem for my car. I'm about 20% sold on considering the aluminum flywheel for autocross for just $100 more, but I'm weary about that for when I go to sell it. The car has enough get up and go, I don't think I really need to get it to rev quicker. Some experienced input would be nice.

Reading about the adjustable master cylinder. Supposed to make getting into 1st and reverse easy. Which I do have problems with. Mainly reverse but I've got a trick that I usually do to get it there.

https://www.tickperformance.com/tick-pe ... vette-z06/
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Acid666 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:02 am Thoughts on this package? It looks like the only thing I'd need to add is the rear main seal.
Don't need a clutch capable of Stage 10-teen numbers, just something oem for my car. I'm about 20% sold on considering the aluminum flywheel for autocross for just $100 more, but I'm weary about that for when I go to sell it. The car has enough get up and go, I don't think I really need to get it to rev quicker. Some experienced input would be nice.

Reading about the adjustable master cylinder. Supposed to make getting into 1st and reverse easy. Which I do have problems with. Mainly reverse but I've got a trick that I usually do to get it there.

https://www.tickperformance.com/tick-pe ... vette-z06/
Thanks for sharing. This looks like a solid kit to tick all of the boxes and stick with OEM drivability. Seems like a great option to me.