Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Detroit
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: CT

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:49 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:00 pm
4LT is legit :nice:

I don't see how this car could be worth less than mid $20k in a few years even with some tracking and miles.
Gonna lose 10k if you beat a GS to shit, and you're gonna lose 10K if you beat a LS3 Z51 to shit too IMO.

I love that red one since it's nearly the same color so most people won't even realize you did a :waxer: upgrade
Well yea, if it's totaled than sure, it's worthless. I don't think Griff would beat it up THAT badly.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:51 pm

Gonna lose 10k if you beat a GS to shit, and you're gonna lose 10K if you beat a LS3 Z51 to shit too IMO.

I love that red one since it's nearly the same color so most people won't even realize you did a :waxer: upgrade
Well yea, if it's totaled than sure, it's worthless. I don't think Griff would beat it up THAT badly.
Exactly that's worst case scenario. IMO no matter what you'll the difference back when it's time to sell the GS.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Plastic Fantastic + Beep Beep

Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:00 pm
4LT is legit :nice:

I don't see how this car could be worth less than mid $20k in a few years even with some tracking and miles.

:lolol: that was my exact thought. FLying under the radar hardcore on that if I stuck with old man red. It is a nice car for sure.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:dat:

I still get compliments on my current one all the time. Only I really notice that it's worse for the wear after seven years as my daily, 45K miles in my ownershit and 20 something HPDE days.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Zillon wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:58 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:18 pm

Thing is, the best place to get the gears done "doesn't do clutch work" so it gets a bit more complicated. It is also like $3K. I am :notsure: if the 4.10s actually make it better/more fun on track, they definitely do on the street.

All of that out of the way, I like where your head's at and that is likely the answer. The thing is just so fun and I love it. If I keep it, I will likely wind up in something more like a GTI/Si/Mini/FoST when I need a daily again rather than their big brothers, but probably :poorvette: + FoST > FoRS. Maybe I can just :troywax: on widening the driveway to make three cars less annoying.
Just park it in the yard, brother.
Zillon
Drives: 🌮

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:01 pm
:dat:

I still get compliments on my current one all the time. Only I really notice that it's worse for the wear after seven years as my daily, 45K miles in my ownershit and 20 something HPDE days.
Just get our resident :meata: driver to fly up and give ye olde :poorvette: some :wub:
Garage: 2013 Terrorist 🌮 | 2006 :jizz: rocket
Got a parts itch that needs scratchin'? Hit me up: Momentum Worx
Tarspin
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 17 Golf R

Any car worth it's paint job should get PPF installed. I have it on my 4 yr old highway bruiser and the front of my car is mint. Pics for attention below, 127k kms of pure highway rock flinging lyfe. It's great stuff.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:32 pm Any car worth it's paint job should get PPF installed. I have it on my 4 yr old highway bruiser and the front of my car is mint. Pics for attention below, 127k kms of pure highway rock flinging lyfe. It's great stuff.

Yeah I put some 3M film on my new :fancy: bicycle... my installation skills sucked, but it is pretty cool stuff. I will get it if I get anything nice. At this point the :poorvette: is kinda past the point of me giving that much of a shit. I still detail the interior, wash it, wax it once or twice a year, but I'm not losing sleep over the thing.
Tarspin
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 17 Golf R

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:12 pm
Yeah I put some 3M film on my new :fancy: bicycle... my installation skills sucked, but it is pretty cool stuff. I will get it if I get anything nice. At this point the :poorvette: is kinda past the point of me giving that much of a shit. I still detail the interior, wash it, wax it once or twice a year, but I'm not losing sleep over the thing.
The C5 is Swiss 🧀, no point now but definitely a great way to protect a 30k thing from stone chips, sand blasting, or cone rash. I guess it is one extra cost to tally into the whole equation.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:43 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:12 pm
The C5 is Swiss 🧀, no point now but definitely a great way to protect a 30k thing from stone chips, sand blasting, or cone rash. I guess it is one extra cost to tally into the whole equation.
I think it’s worth it if I end up getting something nice though.

I will look this stuff up but curious if anyone knows the following:

C6 weak points on track?
Are C5/C6 exhaust the same?
Does C6 trailer hitch install still involve the drilling :bs: ?
Detroit

D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:19 am
Tarspin wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:43 pm

I think it’s worth it if I end up getting something nice though.

C6 weak points on track?
Exhaust is not the same.

Weak points are the same as the C5...few.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:19 am I think it’s worth it if I end up getting something nice though.

C6 weak points on track?
Exhaust is not the same.

LS3's have oiling issues on track unless you get a grand sport.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:30 am
Detroit wrote: Exhaust is not the same.

:word: I figured you may have some insight into this.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:30 am LS3's have oiling issues on track unless you get a grand sport.
:word: I figured you may have some insight into this.
Yeah I know it's the main issue that a C5 does not have, dunno whether something as simple as an accusump and an extra quart is sufficient though or if you need a real dry sump system. I never looked further into it since I didn't buy one.
Detroit

troyguitar wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:30 am
Detroit wrote: Exhaust is not the same.

Which is why GS's got dry sump I beleive?
Huckleberry
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:33 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:30 am LS3's have oiling issues on track unless you get a grand sport.
Which is why GS's got dry sump I beleive?
I believe the C5's batwing pan has proven to be better for road courses. The dry sump is the best option, which is why the GS, Z06, and ZR1 got them.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Thoughts on this package? It looks like the only thing I'd need to add is the rear main seal.
Don't need a clutch capable of Stage 10-teen numbers, just something oem for my car. I'm about 20% sold on considering the aluminum flywheel for autocross for just $100 more, but I'm weary about that for when I go to sell it. The car has enough get up and go, I don't think I really need to get it to rev quicker. Some experienced input would be nice.

Reading about the adjustable master cylinder. Supposed to make getting into 1st and reverse easy. Which I do have problems with. Mainly reverse but I've got a trick that I usually do to get it there.

https://www.tickperformance.com/tick-pe ... vette-z06/
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Acid666 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:02 am Thoughts on this package? It looks like the only thing I'd need to add is the rear main seal.
Don't need a clutch capable of Stage 10-teen numbers, just something oem for my car. I'm about 20% sold on considering the aluminum flywheel for autocross for just $100 more, but I'm weary about that for when I go to sell it. The car has enough get up and go, I don't think I really need to get it to rev quicker. Some experienced input would be nice.

Reading about the adjustable master cylinder. Supposed to make getting into 1st and reverse easy. Which I do have problems with. Mainly reverse but I've got a trick that I usually do to get it there.

Thanks for sharing. This looks like a solid kit to tick all of the boxes and stick with OEM drivability. Seems like a great option to me.
Huckleberry
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Acid666 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:02 am Thoughts on this package? It looks like the only thing I'd need to add is the rear main seal.

I feel like you can source the parts separately and come out ahead. The LS7 clutch kit is the Luk 04-905 clutch kit, and is $260 on Amazon right now, and that comes with the pilot bearing, alignment tool, and hardware. The slave cylinder is just a stock unit and Rock Auto has the Luk cylinder for $70 versus Tick's $140.

That just leaves you with the clutch line and master from Tick.
Acid666

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:44 pm

I feel like you can source the parts separately and come out ahead. The LS7 clutch kit is the Luk 04-905 clutch kit, and is $260 on Amazon right now, and that comes with the pilot bearing, alignment tool, and hardware. The slave cylinder is just a stock unit and Rock Auto has the Luk cylinder for $70 versus Tick's $140.

Yeah the plan was to see if Zill can help price match some parts with the Purple People Eater and see if I can mix and match. Thanks for the info. I haven't dug too deep into it yet, but I'm pretty frugal and usually will split up the cost if it's cheaper. Did that for the Meowta rebuild kit when I priced out a ton of parts from Rockauto but they reamed me with charging shipping from 4 locations so I just pieced it together on amazon and another couple of websites and dropped the cost a good bit.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:ohdang: I haven't really priced any of this out yet. :notbad: info, thanks man!

I'm curious on the aluminum versus steel flywheel. Seems like a fun upgrade that could make the car feel more racey for not a ton of money.
troyguitar

I ran an aluminum flywheel and it was nice, no real added NVH or anything. Just quicker free revving.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

I'd add an aluminum flywheel if you plan on doing any track driving. It's worth it for the quick throttle blip downshifts.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Acid666

Melon wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:53 pm I'd add an aluminum flywheel if you plan on doing any track driving. It's worth it for the quick throttle blip downshifts.
I'm on the fence, mainly because there's a chance I'll be selling it in the next couple of years. But I agree with you.
I'm weary to put it on the track tho, I'd rather put our race car on the track if I had the option
Huckleberry
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:20 pm

:ohdang: I haven't really priced any of this out yet. :notbad: info, thanks man!

I'm curious on the aluminum versus steel flywheel. Seems like a fun upgrade that could make the car feel more racey for not a ton of money.
No problemo.

The LS7 clutch assembly is a heavy setup, and going with the aluminum flywheel certainly would drop some of that weight. However, that's puts you at over $600 with either with Tick or sourcing yourself. At that point, I would not go with a standard LS7 clutch and spend money on something like the Streetslayer Lite with a full-faced hybrid disc: http://w.ivenue.com/hendrixengineering/ ... -lite.html or the Ram 25-931HPG Powergrip https://ramclutches.com/product/25-931HPG/. I ran the Streetslayer on my cammed GTO and it did very well. I basically assembled a Ram Powergrip for my 944 using a billet steel flywheel and one of their lightened pressure plates with a full-face hybrid disc.

The LS7 clutch is excellent for stock and mildly modded vehicles, but once you start going into the $600+ range, there are better options.