Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:09 pm
THAT THAT THAT :amazing: :megusta:

Atomic whorange Z06's are rare AF. This thing is also :plaid: with that engine.

I wonder what took the engine out? Valve or abuse? Doesn't really matter, that thing has serious hardware, and was built right.

The only thing...

Cars modded to that level will never drive like stock regardless of what people in the internet claim. It'll also be more prone to failure for various things because it's more strung out. Would be a riot, but there's risks for reliability.
Yeah I'm not really a built motor kinda guy, particularly with road course use. It is fucking cool though. Do want.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:11 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:44 pm

Dan and I use the targa roof
Goddamit Cale, what is more important, ruling the pavement with a 427 or styling around in the sunshine? You're a welder in the Northeast where the winters come down hard, not some realtor in Palm Springs.
I'm trying to be a welder 30min or so from Dan so we can targa together :sissyfight:

But I wonder how hard it would be to swap everything from a coupe?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:11 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:06 pm How can you tell if they have the Z51 package?
The thing I look for is the brakes. Z51 cars got larger drilled rotors, and most people replace like with like.

Clearly someone could put those brakes on a base car, but if you see smooth rotors, you know it's not a Z51 or someone cheaped out on brake replacement = :nope:
:word: Gracias, that is helpful.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:12 pm

Goddamit Cale, what is more important, ruling the pavement with a 427 or styling around in the sunshine? You're a welder in the Northeast where the winters come down hard, not some realtor in Palm Springs.
I'm trying to be a welder 30min or so from Dan so we can targa together :sissyfight:

Any updates on your move here? I am vaccinated so we can hang out :hue:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

It's been done. It's not easy/cheap and not worth it IMO.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:11 pm

I wonder what took the engine out? Valve or abuse? Doesn't really matter, that thing has serious hardware, and was built right.

The only thing...

Cars modded to that level will never drive like stock regardless of what people in the internet claim. It'll also be more prone to failure for various things because it's more strung out. Would be a riot, but there's risks for reliability.
Yeah I'm not really a built motor kinda guy, particularly with road course use. It is fucking cool though. Do want.
Depends on the cam specs. If the lift isn't crazy, it would probably be fine on the road course and you'd embarrass EVERYTHING with it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:15 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:11 pm

Depends on the cam specs. If the lift isn't crazy, it would probably be fine on the road course and you'd embarrass EVERYTHING with it.
It is local-ish. Maybe I should call the guy for the :lolol:

Or I could stick with the special edition lyfe https://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/d/ ... 29926.html

:trollface:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:13 pm

My friend is still requesting tours. The place in Sardis was nice, but we want a 4th bedroom for visitors/home office and that house didn't have that. I believe my friend has a couple more tours scheduled. The tough part is driveway size. I'm getting antsy though and kinda want to go down for a weekend for the hell of it.

The 2008 pace car is the best.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

The only thing...

Probably the valve guide issue. This thing is awesome.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:28 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:13 pm

My friend is still requesting tours. The place in Sardis was nice, but we want a 4th bedroom for visitors/home office and that house didn't have that. I believe my friend has a couple more tours scheduled. The tough part is driveway size. I'm getting antsy though and kinda want to go down for a weekend for the hell of it.

The 2008 pace car is the best.
:word:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

C5 to C6 GS is the perfect :plac: move, 2008 C6 Z51 is second best. :doit: Griffballz!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I want to own Desertbreh's C6GS. Current exchange rates still bring it to $50k plus travel costs, etc. Too rich for my wallet at this stage in the game.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:57 am C5 to C6 GS is the perfect :plac: move, 2008 C6 Z51 is second best. :doit: Griffballz!
Either way Griff needs to strike a balance between cost and mileage. He doesn't need to pay for a garage queen he's going to eff up on track days, but he does need to pay enough that he's making a significant improvement over his current ride.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:16 am
Tarspin wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:57 am C5 to C6 GS is the perfect :plac: move, 2008 C6 Z51 is second best. :doit: Griffballz!
Either way Griff needs to strike a balance between cost and mileage. He doesn't need to pay for a garage queen he's going to eff up on track days, but he does need to pay enough that he's making a significant improvement over his current ride.
The 2008 base/Z51 has significant improvements over my old 2005 and doesn't cost that much more; I'm with you on the idea of upgrading the car in a budget conscious way, as opposed to modding the C5.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:29 am
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:16 am

The 2008 base/Z51 has significant improvements over my old 2005 and doesn't cost that much more; I'm with you on the idea of upgrading the car in a budget conscious way, as opposed to modding the C5.
LS3, Tremec 6060 are the biggies. The widebody on the GS looks awesome, and was a primary reason for my purchase, but a square setup is probably better for the track and certainly cheaper to feed new tires to/can be rotated. I think Acid has crazy huge front tires for AutoX. but I don't know how that translates to everyday use and track use. The major advantage the GS has over the Z51 are the six piston front/4 piston rear calipers, I suppose those could be swapped. Should probably wait for a few months to see what happens to the used car market once the COVID starts to recede.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:59 am I want to own Desertbreh's C6GS. Current exchange rates still bring it to $50k plus travel costs, etc. Too rich for my wallet at this stage in the game.
:dillerman:
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:49 pm

LS3, Tremec 6060 are the biggies. The widebody on the GS looks awesome, and was a primary reason for my purchase, but a square setup is probably better for the track and certainly cheaper to feed new tires to/can be rotated. I think Acid has crazy huge front tires for AutoX. but I don't know how that translates to everyday use and track use. The major advantage the GS has over the Z51 are the six piston front/4 piston rear calipers, I suppose those could be swapped. Should probably wait for a few months to see what happens to the used car market once the COVID starts to recede.
Don't forget that :manuel: GS's got dry sump oiling too. They're built to be track beasts straight from the factory.

Brakes are insane, but they're pretty expensive to service. That's the only downside there.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:10 pm

Don't forget that :manuel: GS's got dry sump oiling too. They're built to be track beasts straight from the factory.

Brakes are insane, but they're pretty expensive to service. That's the only downside there.
True true. +rear battery, forged crank and dat handbuilt :wub:
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:15 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:10 pm

True true. +rear battery, forged crank and dat handbuilt :wub:
Yep, they're actually rather special, and I think deserving of the price premium. I've wanted an inferno orange car for a while now.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Yeah, the GS does look WAY better, honestly that's a big selling point for me. Better brakes would be :nice: as well, although my current brakes work fine. Square tires certainly are advantageous but that is easy to remedy.

I am :notsure: if I'm willing to pay the premium for one just to beat on it :doe: :iono:

Maybe if I can find one in the low thirties range with a few more miles.

I am thinking all of this over, I need to get out and test drive cars. I actually missed a shift due to the clutch on the highway this AM... which is not great. I thought it was limited to the track (granted I was beating on the car leading up to this moment). I did talk it over with the wife a little bit last night. She was surprisingly chill about it and seems to want me to do what I want to do. I guess she recognizes that I am a cheapass and most of our spending is done by/for her, whereas 2/3+ of the earnings come from me.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:41 pm

Yeah, the GS does look WAY better, honestly that's a big selling point for me. Better brakes would be :nice: as well, although my current brakes work fine. Square tires certainly are advantageous but that is easy to remedy.

I am :notsure: if I'm willing to pay the premium for one just to beat on it :doe: :iono:

I am thinking all of this over, I need to get out and test drive cars. I actually missed a shift due to the clutch on the highway this AM... which is not great. I thought it was limited to the track (granted I was beating on the car leading up to this moment). I did talk it over with the wife a little bit last night. She was surprisingly chill about it and seems to want me to do what I want to do. I guess she recognizes that I am a cheapass and most of our spending is done by/for her, whereas 2/3+ of the earnings come from me.
I swore 6 years ago that I'd pick up a C6GS when they dipped into the 20's, and that never happened. I think they're a tremendous value in the low $30k range, and worth keeping an eye out for.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Three cheers for women exercising reason and accountability.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

There a plenty of VERY NICE C6GS in the MID Thirties, and if you are madbro because the car you want costs 36 grand not 32 grand I don't know what to tell you in an era of $180K Sprinter vans with butcher block interiors.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:51 pm

Three cheers for women exercising reason and accountability.
That's rare.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:54 pm There a plenty of VERY NICE C6GS in the MID Thirties, and if you are madbro because the car you want costs 36 grand not 32 grand I don't know what to tell you in an era of $180K Sprinter vans with butcher block interiors.
A nice C6GS in the mid 30s sounds like a lot of car for the money to me. Fat fenders, targa top, dry sump LS3 with a TR6060 for $35k? Yeah, sign me up.