Do you even invest?

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Tarspin wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:30 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:19 pm Damn my innernet coins are up 170% since last Sunday when I bought.
I believe that is the ultimate investment circa Jan 2021. My cousin has a shitload of it that he picked up years ago. He's got to be up a few hundred thousand. It doesn't sit well with me, but I'm a big :pussy: when it comes to risk.
He could have millions, or nothing at all. It's gambling.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:43 pm
Tarspin wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:31 pm

Summers fill up with 50% word of mouth, and a split between the 'gram (@grandbendfamilyrentals) and AirBnB. Off season is almost 100% AirBnB.

I've got $120k grand of actual money in mine, and equity sitting at $330-360k depending on how it would sell, and this is all within 2.5 years of keeping it afloat. Capital gains are the same as they would be for stocks unless I move into the place for a year before I sell it. The nice part is that the gainz are on the entire value of the property x % increase of housing in the area, so the capital growth is more hard to beat.

I don't know that it is for everyone, but I tried my luck with stocks and I totally suck at picking my own. Sites like motleyfool etc seem to be doing well for some people, and I probably didn't lean on those type of services enough. This has been a much easier way to make money for me, and we legit get vacation time out of it which normally costs a family of four at least another $3k/week at minimum.

The stress points are the human element, and I'm lucky that the place i bought was built in 2017 so it is new enough to still be low maintenance.
I'm not sold on stocks either. The only thing I know a ton about and have had some luck with is real estate, which is why I've been considering it.

But I also hate people and hate dealing with :bs: so renting it could end up being more hassle than it's worth. That's where I get stuck every time.
I honestly think the less you do with stocks, the better. Stick it in a fund and sit it out. I have had massive gainz, and I just don't look at the shit.

I think Mario's points are good. There are more and more people on this planet and in this country... there is only so much land. If it's in a desirable area, it's not really going to lose out in the long term. My issue is that it would be quite a bit of work. Just reading Mario's post here and in OT are indicative that it requires quite a bit of attention, even on a newer, low maintenance property.

I am of the mind that my profession pays me quite a bit more than something like this would, and frankly I don't want to work any more than I have to. If I wanted to add another 10 hours/week to my plate, I think this is viable. It gets tricky with the emotional piece as well though. Like, there are houses I want to own, they aren't necessarily the best investment.

My BIL who is rich and a financial adviser suggested finding a lower priced house in an up and coming area that a family would want to rent. Families stay in rentals way longer than 20 somethings, they're reliable, and less work than dealing with airBNB and the like. The fact that you are local to a "vacation destination" makes the weekly/nightly rental thing a bit more interesting though.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:00 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:43 pm
I'm not sold on stocks either. The only thing I know a ton about and have had some luck with is real estate, which is why I've been considering it.

But I also hate people and hate dealing with :bs: so renting it could end up being more hassle than it's worth. That's where I get stuck every time.
I honestly think the less you do with stocks, the better. Stick it in a fund and sit it out. I have had massive gainz, and I just don't look at the shit.

I think Mario's points are good. There are more and more people on this planet and in this country... there is only so much land. If it's in a desirable area, it's not really going to lose out in the long term. My issue is that it would be quite a bit of work. Just reading Mario's post here and in OT are indicative that it requires quite a bit of attention, even on a newer, low maintenance property.

I am of the mind that my profession pays me quite a bit more than something like this would, and frankly I don't want to work any more than I have to. If I wanted to add another 10 hours/week to my plate, I think this is viable. It gets tricky with the emotional piece as well though. Like, there are houses I want to own, they aren't necessarily the best investment.

My BIL who is rich and a financial adviser suggested finding a lower priced house in an up and coming area that a family would want to rent. Families stay in rentals way longer than 20 somethings, they're reliable, and less work than dealing with airBNB and the like. The fact that you are local to a "vacation destination" makes the weekly/nightly rental thing a bit more interesting though.
Keep in mind Mario owned his primary residence outright when he bought that thing so he wasn't really spreading himself thin at all. AND Mario can take a week off and smoke weed bythe lake.....it's not just a residential rental. I owned a rental for a few years, a place I had previously lived in. I got lucky with renters, but for the most part the landlord game requires more time than I am interested in providing. You already have kind of a meh interest in home DIY, having to screw with another place? :dislike:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:17 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:00 pm

Keep in mind Mario owned his primary residence outright when he bought that thing so he wasn't really spreading himself thin at all. AND Mario can take a week off and smoke weed bythe lake.....it's not just a residential rental. I owned a rental for a few years, a place I had previously lived in. I got lucky with renters, but for the most part the landlord game requires more time than I am interested in providing. You already have kind of a meh interest in home DIY, having to screw with another place? :dislike:
:notwrong:

:tits: regularly expresses interest in a beach property, but I am :notsure:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:33 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:17 pm

For now it seems like a good move, and yes there are varying extra hours per week of effort, but it kind of overlaps with my other online time, so I'm okay with that. Come summer I will not be surprised if I need to visit in person at least once or twice to keep things moving along smoothly.

Eric nailed it, I wasn't stretching myself too thin when I made this move but I'm glad that i did it. He also knows that I push myself beyond my comfort zone and I think he's trying to illustrate that there is a little masochism (Brad's words) in the whole process of buying and operating a rental property. I really like the short term rental format better then the landlord thing. It's kind of fun, like I'm a tourism host or something, completely different from my usual operations.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Tarspin wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:07 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:33 pm

For now it seems like a good move, and yes there are varying extra hours per week of effort, but it kind of overlaps with my other online time, so I'm okay with that. Come summer I will not be surprised if I need to visit in person at least once or twice to keep things moving along smoothly.

Eric nailed it, I wasn't stretching myself too thin when I made this move but I'm glad that i did it. He also knows that I push myself beyond my comfort zone and I think he's trying to illustrate that there is a little masochism (Brad's words) in the whole process of buying and operating a rental property. I really like the short term rental format better then the landlord thing. It's kind of fun, like I'm a tourism host or something, completely different from my usual operations.
I would go for a vacation rental, personally. If you get a crappy tenant, you're not stuck with them for longer than a month probably. A condo or something would be really great to eliminate some maintenance requirements, but would certainly increase the cost.

I'm still :notsure: on the return, for me I'll probably just dump my cash into the market and let it tank that way. At least I won't be exerting much effort in doing so.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:09 pm
Tarspin wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:07 pm

I would go for a vacation rental, personally. If you get a crappy tenant, you're not stuck with them for longer than a month probably. A condo or something would be really great to eliminate some maintenance requirements, but would certainly increase the cost.

I'm still :notsure: on the return, for me I'll probably just dump my cash into the market and let it tank that way. At least I won't be exerting much effort in doing so.
+1 and you could.............use it to go on vacation.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:43 pm

To where exactly?

We were going to go to Spain this year, then obviously that won't happen. Maybe in a few years?

I'm slowly warming up to the boat idea. Might spend a bit on that...
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:mahman: I am maxing out retirement contributions and paying extra on the house note. Kinda want to say duck it with the remaining and travel/make a dumb car purchase.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Cross Country National Park Tour was covid safe and 5/7. It was about $4600 for three weeks.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:19 pm

To where exactly?

We were going to go to Spain this year, then obviously that won't happen. Maybe in a few years?

I'm just saying if your rental is a "vacation rental" it presumably has some sort of value above mere housing. Which you could enjoy as well as your guests. You already live in a vacation rental of sorts so its not like you're going to go get some urban apartment. Boat idea fully endorsed. Living on Lake Michigan with a boat slip that is PART OF YOUR HOA DUES but not having a boat is not an option I would consider.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:58 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:19 pm
To where exactly?

I'm just saying if your rental is a "vacation rental" it presumably has some sort of value above mere housing. Which you could enjoy as well as your guests. You already live in a vacation rental of sorts so its not like you're going to go get some urban apartment. Boat idea fully endorsed. Living on Lake Michigan with a boat slip that is PART OF YOUR HOA DUES but not having a boat is not an option I would consider.
Oh yeah, no...we live in our vacation spot.
There's not a single place I'd go in the Midwest on vacation that wasn't home unless it's in the glamper. Adding real estate is 100% investment talk.

Very likely going to pick up the wife's aunt's Bayliner. Talked to some friends up here and they claim V8 Bayliners are pretty rare in this area, and usually carry a hefty premium. $10k seems to be a solid deal in the local market, plus I know its life story and I get to take the road trip I've been wanting for a while. $10k boats here seem to have a somewhat :notsure: history and really don't know when we're getting into.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:26 pm Cross Country National Park Tour was covid safe and 5/7. It was about $4600 for three weeks.
We might do something like this to pick up the aunt's boat in lake Mead. :excited:
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:14 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:26 pm Cross Country National Park Tour was covid safe and 5/7. It was about $4600 for three weeks.
We might do something like this to pick up the aunt's boat in lake Mead. :excited:
Ooh, :nice:
:excited:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Cucktruck FTW already!
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:56 pm
Cucktruck FTW already!
:dat:

plans are being hatched right now for me to take a few weeks off and launch the boat in some epic waters between lake Mead and northern MI, my dad following us in his bus so we can just with him along the way.

The journey will be incredibly better in the cucktruck than the JTR.
wap

Detroit wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:30 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:56 pm

Cucktruck FTW already!
:dat:

plans are being hatched right now for me to take a few weeks off and launch the boat in some epic waters between lake Mead and northern MI, my dad following us in his bus so we can just with him along the way.

The journey will be incredibly better in the cucktruck than the JTR.
:ohdang:
That sounds :fuckyeah: :megusta:
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

$GME TO MOON
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Buy buy buy it’s going to 1000
wap

:hai:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:38 pm$GME TO MOON
Allegedly, this lad sold at the right time.

wap

:notbad:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

That’s right only winners in that stock
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:20 pm That’s right only winners in that stock
Obviously
ChrisoftheNorth

Holy shit, I might get my money back...or at least most of it.

:mindblown: