Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

razr390 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:22 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:08 am

Yeah but :whocares: You could say the same about a Corvette. A really expensive performance car should be fast and it is.
It wasn’t even the speed doe. It was just how it felt to drive. The 911 is :muah:
Well, sure. It is a six figure sports car, no one is debating it's amazing. It is obviously gonna mop the floor with a :mk6: .
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

razr390 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:40 am The problem is if you do take the 911 (even an AWD heavy Turbo S) it’ll perform well at the strip but also be a fucking amazing car on the twisties.

I’ve driven my friend’s 991.1 Club Coupe (some limited edition that’s basically a GTS). It was, to this date, one of the best driving experiences I’ve had.

Yeah but :whocares: You could say the same about a Corvette. A really expensive performance car should be fast and it is.
Man the C8 may deserve some sort of second look. It is likely the last N/A/gasoline corvette ever.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:27 pm

Man the C8 may deserve some sort of second look. It is likely the last N/A/gasoline corvette ever.
It is a pretty amazing thing for the money. It's "just a Corvette". I'm sure in a year or two they will be a dime a dozen, but the mid engine really takes the already huge performance to the next level.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:54 pm

It is a pretty amazing thing for the money. It's "just a Corvette". I'm sure in a year or two they will be a dime a dozen, but the mid engine really takes the already huge performance to the next level.
Sort of... but they seem to have a lot of production issues. And at least out here they are rare... then again corvettes are not THAT common here either because dOmeStiC
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

The C8 handles base C7 power really well. If it depreciates radically at it's 10 year mark I'll probably be in a place to consider one. It is an automatic :doe: , and I enjoyed rowing my C6 gears even though they weren't exactly considered that great.

The 996 I drove on track last fall was a :manuel: AWD and I was really amazed with how nice it was to drive. It just felt like I was a better driver then I really am, so I kind see what Rudy is getting at.. They are stupidly capable machines. Fled states that the 997.2 is the sweet spot for reliable Porsche ownership, but that's a lot of cash (guessing over $80k). I wish that Eric's GS was accessible to me, but I'm nowhere near being able to treat myself to said toy - price is right. That car is likely going to hold it's value and be "free" to own for the next five years. Dang, I want, might be too nice to track doe. :sad:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:25 pm
razr390 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:22 pm
It wasn’t even the speed doe. It was just how it felt to drive. The 911 is :muah:
Well, sure. It is a six figure sports car, no one is debating it's amazing. It is obviously gonna mop the floor with a :mk6: .
:howdareu:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:10 pm

The C8 handles base C7 power really well. If it depreciates radically at it's 10 year mark I'll probably be in a place to consider one. It is an automatic :doe: , and I enjoyed rowing my C6 gears even though they weren't exactly considered that great.

The 996 I drove on track last fall was a :manuel: AWD and I was really amazed with how nice it was to drive. It just felt like I was a better driver then I really am, so I kind see what Rudy is getting at.. They are stupidly capable machines. Fled states that the 997.2 is the sweet spot for reliable Porsche ownership, but that's a lot of cash (guessing over $80k). I wish that Eric's GS was accessible to me, but I'm nowhere near being able to treat myself to said toy - price is right. That car is likely going to hold it's value and be "free" to own for the next five years. Dang, I want, might be too nice to track doe. :sad:
As long as I continue to treat it like a Rolex and pull it out of the drawer to wear every 3 weeks. I'm beginning to realize that I need to develop some legitimate hobbies. My child has been successfully launched. I've got two pieces of real estate paid for (almost). Fortunately, there is an excellent surf break in front of one of them so I intend to become proficient on a surfboard. I plan to buy a better camera and start exploring both the U.S. and MX with photography in mind. If I can figure out a way to transfer the C6 into something that would enhance my life more than what is essentially a Sunday driver, I should consider it. It's still nice to have a few nice things though.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:49 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:25 pm

:dat:

Stage 3 t00n with upgraded clutch and prepped surface + slicks can take a Veyron. There is no merit to this statement. :dislike:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Tarspin wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:54 pm
wap wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:49 pm

Stock + slicks can take a Veyron. There is no merit to this statement. :dislike:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:52 pm

As long as I continue to treat it like a Rolex and pull it out of the drawer to wear every 3 weeks. I'm beginning to realize that I need to develop some legitimate hobbies. My child has been successfully launched. I've got two pieces of real estate paid for (almost). Fortunately, there is an excellent surf break in front of one of them so I intend to become proficient on a surfboard. I plan to buy a better camera and start exploring both the U.S. and MX with photography in mind. If I can figure out a way to transfer the C6 into something that would enhance my life more than what is essentially a Sunday driver, I should consider it. It's still nice to have a few nice things though.
Have you surfed before? It is pretty tough, I bet learning would be 5/7 gratifying. Great low impact exercise as well.

I would off the C6 if I were you. I guess it's not costing a ton to hang onto it, but let someone who will use it more drive it. It's never going to be worth a ton because of the low miles/great condition, it's still a Corvette. If you're not going to explore CA's mountain roads in it or take it to track days or anything like that, you're better suited with the silver Mercedes :doit:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:59 pm

Have you surfed before? It is pretty tough, I bet learning would be 5/7 gratifying. Great low impact exercise as well.

I would off the C6 if I were you. I guess it's not costing a ton to hang onto it, but let someone who will use it more drive it. It's never going to be worth a ton because of the low miles/great condition, it's still a Corvette. If you're not going to explore CA's mountain roads in it or take it to track days or anything like that, you're better suited with the silver Mercedes :doit:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:59 pm

I have not. When I was younger I was a proficient slalom skier. I doubt that has much carryover other than both occurring on water. But I have realized that I have front door surfing so I'm going to figure it out. There are usually at least 10-20 people in the water errday. Wette costs are just insurance and depreciation.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Motorcycle :bread:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I sold mine to use as a piece down-payment on property 2, and don't regret it most days. I like your surf board/lessons idea, and deep sea fishing would be on my short list in MX.

I'm kind of into paddle boards right now, they are good lake things that bring a new experience and a fun way to exercise.

These look easy enough to transport:
https://www.amazon.ca/iROCKER-Nautical- ... cahydra-20

4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Tarspin wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:05 am

I sold mine to use as a piece down-payment on property 2, and don't regret it most days. I like your surf board/lessons idea, and deep sea fishing would be on my short list in MX.

I'm kind of into paddle boards right now, they are good lake things that bring a new experience and a fun way to exercise.

:notbad:

While we're talking about alternative ways to spend money, toss in kayaking and hiking.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

FWIW we bought inflatable kayaks a couple of years ago and they are 4/7. Not quite as good as a nice real kayak, but surprisingly better than you would expect. Great for those of us with small homes/lack of storage/no :truk: and also easy on the budget if you're just looking to try out the "sport". I assume the SUPs are similar.
ChrisoftheNorth

We're debating SUPs, but with kayaks it's kind of just spending money to spend money. I know SUPs are a better core workout, but meh.

They would be easier to transport than the kayaks :doe:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:08 am

FWIW we bought inflatable kayaks a couple of years ago and they are 4/7. Not quite as good as a nice real kayak, but surprisingly better than you would expect. Great for those of us with small homes/lack of storage/no :truk: and also easy on the budget if you're just looking to try out the "sport". I assume the SUPs are similar.
Thanks for the feedback mang. I might even go more down-market and get two for the price of this one. I find myself more aware of my obsession with having the "best" of a specific thing, but those :wasteful: days are kind of behind me as I navigate my current lifestyle.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Paddle boards are great exercise....balancing works the core. One time we were on the Big Island and a local Hawaiian tossed his paddle board into a pretty choppy ocean and paddled what seemed to me was halfway to Tokyo......he was starting to get very small on the horizon.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:22 pm

Paddle boards are great exercise....balancing works the core. One time we were on the Big Island and a local Hawaiian tossed his paddle board into a pretty choppy ocean and paddled what seemed to me was halfway to Tokyo......he was starting to get very small on the horizon.
Sounds peaceful. :like:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:19 pm We're debating SUPs, but with kayaks it's kind of just spending money to spend money. I know SUPs are a better core workout, but meh.

I have tried SUP. Kayaking is definitely more my thing personally :iono: They are similar enough that I would pick one or the other personally.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:20 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:08 am

Thanks for the feedback mang. I might even go more down-market and get two for the price of this one. I find myself more aware of my obsession with having the "best" of a specific thing, but those :wasteful: days are kind of behind me as I navigate my current lifestyle.
I wouldn't worry about the best of the best unless you get really into it. Our inflatables have been perfect as people who only kayak four or five times/year. We throw them in the Beep Beep when we go anywhere in the summer. It's a lot of fun and way easier/cheaper than renting 'yaks.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:49 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:19 pm We're debating SUPs, but with kayaks it's kind of just spending money to spend money. I know SUPs are a better core workout, but meh.

I have tried SUP. Kayaking is definitely more my thing personally :iono: They are similar enough that I would pick one or the other personally.
And we already have 10' plastic kayaks, so meh.

Only issue is 10'ers are a bit small for the water we paddle, but staying close to the shore is ok.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:52 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:49 pm

Only issue is 10'ers are a bit small for the water we paddle, but staying close to the shore is ok.
Dat Edmund Fitzgerald
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:53 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:52 pm

Dat Edmund Fitzgerald
On a smaller scale, but basically.