Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:29 am
Tarspin wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:37 am Just for the lulz, I can think of worse ways to start the week off then watching these blokes ham first expensive metal at the drag strip.

Dodge Challenger Demon v Porsche 911 Turbo S - DR…:

:megusta:
Quick lesson in trying to apply insane amounts of power on a cold, unprepped surface.
I think this video is epic. It shows how useless a challenger demon is in the real world. And visualized my long standing statement of 500+ whp to a single axle is :fullretard:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:iono: I think the Chally is still pretty sweet. Obviously both it and the Porsche are pointless. My :poorvette: is far too fast for the street even and it would get obliterated by either of these cars.

That is hardly the point. It's all for the :dedong: swinging and :lolol:

Personally I would prefer a lowly naturally aspirated RWD 911 with a manual. 300-400 hp is plenty for one of those. I would however go for the Hellcat variety if buying a Challenger, because why the hell not? The Demon is overkill for me, but the widebody, supercharged V8 noises, crazy colors, and menacing looks are just epic in that car. It's a king of the road cruiser.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:36 pm :iono: I think the Chally is still pretty sweet. Obviously both it and the Porsche are pointless. My :poorvette: is far too fast for the street even and it would get obliterated by either of these cars.

Personally I would prefer a lowly naturally aspirated RWD 911 with a manual. 300-400 hp is plenty for one of those. I would however go for the Hellcat variety if buying a Challenger, because why the hell not? The Demon is overkill for me, but the widebody, supercharged V8 noises, crazy colors, and menacing looks are just epic in that car. It's a king of the road cruiser.
That Turbo S (or any for that matter) is just a bad-ass luxe-GT that can walk 99% of on-road cars in an unsuspecting package. I dig it, and I understand it. Still super fucking expensive.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

razr390 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:52 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:36 pm :iono: I think the Chally is still pretty sweet. Obviously both it and the Porsche are pointless. My :poorvette: is far too fast for the street even and it would get obliterated by either of these cars.

That Turbo S (or any for that matter) is just a bad-ass luxe-GT that can walk 99% of on-road cars in an unsuspecting package. I dig it, and I understand it. Still super fucking expensive.
They are very :impressive: to be sure... I like it but I think a manual 997 S would be more fun.
max225

:dat: it’ll run 10 flat rain or shine. Day after day after day. And you’ll die in a demon trying to do the same.

I’d argue that the turbo S is peak usable power. 650 or so to all4 is all you can use on the street
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:48 pm

:dat: it’ll run 10 flat rain or shine. Day after day after day. And you’ll die in a demon trying to do the same.

I’d argue that the turbo S is peak usable power. 650 or so to all4 is all you can use on the street
Right but its 3X the price.

Not the demon, just the hellcat
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:13 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:48 pm

Priced a demon lately ? Ah noted on the second part. But you also don’t get a 13 year old Canadian interior.
And a badge that will drop panties vs skoal cans.
razr390

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:53 am
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:13 pm

Priced a demon lately ? Ah noted on the second part. But you also don’t get a 13 year old Canadian interior.
Demon is cool as well. In a very different way. With the markup/market adjustment, a Demon and a 911 Turbo S are closer than most other cars... But you're right. One is just a cool car that you probably would have a hard time driving daily, but it is just :lolol: when you do..

Versus the 911 Turbo S which is borderline surgical. In a way I could see how it could be so good it's "boring" but it's also a great all-rounder. you could literally take a cross-country trip in it, hitting every drag strip on the way, hitting 10's on each, and making it home with no christmas tree lights in the dash.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

VW Beetle vs aircraft carrier

I’d still take a GTR
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

razr390 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:17 am
max225 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:53 am

Demon is cool as well. In a very different way. With the markup/market adjustment, a Demon and a 911 Turbo S are closer than most other cars... But you're right. One is just a cool car that you probably would have a hard time driving daily, but it is just :lolol: when you do..

Versus the 911 Turbo S which is borderline surgical. In a way I could see how it could be so good it's "boring" but it's also a great all-rounder. you could literally take a cross-country trip in it, hitting every drag strip on the way, hitting 10's on each, and making it home with no christmas tree lights in the dash.
I would argue that a Challenger is a better road trip vehicle.

Both are epic in different ways, both are pointless :lolol:

:notsure: what we’re arguing about :doe:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:36 am
razr390 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:17 am

Who the fuck buys a 911 to live a quarter mile at a time.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

4zilch wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:48 am

:notsure:

Is there any other way to live?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

4zilch wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:48 am

I am pretty :aintcare: about drag racing/quarter mile times... I doubt I will ever set foot on a drag strip other than maybe to autox in the parking lot.

I get the video... it is entertaining to see a :fancy: German GT/sports car destroy a "purpose built drag car". It is entertaining, yes. I think the two cars are for an entirely different market and the results are irrelevant. One car is for the :lolol: , one is a surgical tool.
razr390

The problem is if you do take the 911 (even an AWD heavy Turbo S) it’ll perform well at the strip but also be a fucking amazing car on the twisties.

I’ve driven my friend’s 991.1 Club Coupe (some limited edition that’s basically a GTS). It was, to this date, one of the best driving experiences I’ve had.

max225

You guys been watching oil prices since the election... my doomed oil stock is up 40% and were approaching $4 a gallon here also... I think they will tax us on gas in the next 3.5 years until it forces people to switch into the e cars
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:44 am You guys been watching oil prices since the election... my doomed oil stock is up 40% and were approaching $4 a gallon here also... I think they will tax us on gas in the next 3.5 years until it forces people to switch into the e cars
Yea, oil on the rise...hard to say if it's election or demand. People are also driving more and further than they have possibly since the beginning of 2020, so it's hard to say what precisely is driving the price up. Production could be down a bit too? Probably a mix of things

Increased gas tax has been viewed as political suicide for years, but I think it's the only real lever left to pull to force people to adopt EVs. The tax credits are expiring for most OEMs within the next few years so there needs to be some other financial incentive for people to go EV. Gas tax would do it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

It's still about $2.35 here, sounds like price increases should hit soon.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

razr390 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:40 am The problem is if you do take the 911 (even an AWD heavy Turbo S) it’ll perform well at the strip but also be a fucking amazing car on the twisties.

I’ve driven my friend’s 991.1 Club Coupe (some limited edition that’s basically a GTS). It was, to this date, one of the best driving experiences I’ve had.

Yeah but :whocares: You could say the same about a Corvette. A really expensive performance car should be fast and it is.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:44 am You guys been watching oil prices since the election... my doomed oil stock is up 40% and were approaching $4 a gallon here also... I think they will tax us on gas in the next 3.5 years until it forces people to switch into the e cars
Hi Max, I'm watching it here too. We are already taxed to the moon with plethora of taxes that layer one upon another, and I'm expecting crazy high pump costs this summer.

I've been chirping the Paris accord treaty since its inception, and basically see it as a tax grab. Maybe I not smart enough to see understand it better, :thanksobama:
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:06 am
Yea, oil on the rise...hard to say if it's election or demand. People are also driving more and further than they have possibly since the beginning of 2020, so it's hard to say what precisely is driving the price up. Production could be down a bit too? Probably a mix of things

Increased gas tax has been viewed as political suicide for years, but I think it's the only real lever left to pull to force people to adopt EVs. The tax credits are expiring for most OEMs within the next few years so there needs to be some other financial incentive for people to go EV. Gas tax would do it.
When I said “tax” I should have clarified. Oil prices are not based on demand because it is price inelastic as proven again and again. It’ll take 5-10 years to see a notable dip in demand if the prices were to spike.

Things like shutting down keystone etc I see as a “tax” because it directly affects prices due to government involvement
Last edited by max225 on Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

With the Gulf and other areas down south frozen solid, I'd think that would have an effect on prices, too.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

wap wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:20 am With the Gulf and other areas down south frozen solid, I'd think that would have an effect on prices, too.
Yea sure that’s back to the pre trump years of “instability in the Middle East are driving prices up” array of excuses. Oil was the Bitcoin of the early 00s
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:20 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:06 am

When I said “tax” I should have clarified. Oil prices are not based on demand because it is price inelastic as proven again and again. It’ll take 5-10 years to see a notable dip in demand if the prices were to spike.

Things like shutting down keystone etc I see as a “tax” because it directly affects prices due to government involvement
Good analysis, and yes "tax" due to political/environmental factors limiting supply is probably the most likely here.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:20 am With the Gulf and other areas down south frozen solid, I'd think that would have an effect on prices, too.
It could a bit, but production has been down for a while now. Frozen oil hasn't been frozen enough to drive any big change in supply enough to change prices IMO.
razr390

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:08 am
razr390 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:40 am The problem is if you do take the 911 (even an AWD heavy Turbo S) it’ll perform well at the strip but also be a fucking amazing car on the twisties.

Yeah but :whocares: You could say the same about a Corvette. A really expensive performance car should be fast and it is.
It wasn’t even the speed doe. It was just how it felt to drive. The 911 is :muah: