Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I just love the fact that some :wap: BALLER ordered a color matched teal leather interior.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:54 pm I just love the fact that some :wap: BALLER ordered a color matched teal leather interior.
That is a great color scheme, I wanted to own that exact car as a teenager. It still appeals to me now.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:08 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:54 pm I just love the fact that some :wap: BALLER ordered a color matched teal leather interior.
That is a great color scheme, I wanted to own that exact car as a teenager. It still appeals to me now.
All these minty 90's cars appeal to me because as a kid in the 90's my parents couldn't afford new cars, but I always wondered what they were like when I'd see them driving around.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Our 98 Intrigue was the first car I drove that had steering wheel buttons. The cruise control buttons were on the right spoke, iirc.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:19 pm
Tarspin wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:08 pm

All these minty 90's cars appeal to me because as a kid in the 90's my parents couldn't afford new cars, but I always wondered what they were like when I'd see them driving around.
Piss poor immigrant family checking in, our first new car seven years after landing in a new life was the 87 Sentra which I later inherited as a teen; Far from luxurious, but it served well.

All worked out eventually. I'd love to pick something like this up, but I think 90s cars are too old for someone like me who doesn't have the time to wrench much. Gen 2 MR2/1988 Fiero GT :doe:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:39 pm How could you not fill one with shit like this just to stare at and sit in.

SO. MUCH. SEAFOAM
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

https://classics.autotrader.com/classic ... /101399586

1980 Datsun 280ZX 158k Miles A/C works good 5 speed stick shift 6cyl and I bought it from Original Owner Blue Paint Black interior have all service records and purchase papers from the dealer and it has a new battery and new spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor at 157k miles new tires at 153k miles new front and rear KYB Struts and alignment at 156k miles Coolant flush at 146k miles and it still has the original AM/FM radio. The clock still works asd it runs and drives great. The interior is super clean the seats have seat covers but under the covers there are no tears on the seats they are in factory cleans condition. The drivers armrest has a couple cracks as well as the door panel by the armrest and the center console pad has a few cracks, stains. It was never smoked in the ashtray is clean. It has a car cover, and a club anti theft device. It was owned by an elderly couple who took very great care of it and it was always garaged. This car is completely stock and still has the original formats and is way cool!!! When they introduced the 280 ZX the plan of course was for that success to continue. The 280 ZX was powered by a 2.8L six-cylinder engine mated to a 5-speed manual transmission. This 280 ZX is a survivor car. Everything on this car is original and that is believed to include the paint. The paint has some minor scratches and a couple very minor small dings. The brakes seem like sometimes they pulsate when coming to a sudden stop. Believe the rotors will need to be turned next brake job. Overall a nice car!

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

That old Datsun is all original, I'd love to have one.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:39 pm How could you not fill one with shit like this just to stare at and sit in.

Auroras are cool. Don’t forget Buick Rivieras
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:46 pm

Auroras are cool. Don’t forget Buick Rivieras
I love the look of the Reatta convertible

CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap

Just noticed, that Aurora has the same HU that was in our Intrigue.

Also, iirc, :mahtroy: once had a Reatta.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

In other car news, more players in the EV Pod game:

Toyota flips switch on electric vehicles, teases new SUV

2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime

Toyota plans to sell an electric crossover SUV and electric sedan later this year in the U.S., the automaker announced on Wednesday.

After years of touting hydrogen fuel cell technology over battery electric vehicles (BEV), and decades of being the global leader in hybrid vehicle sales, Toyota's commitment to its first widely-available electric vehicles for the U.S. market represents a change in course. Yet as it was announcing the fully electric vehicles, it wasn't doing a strong sell on electric vehicles. It said that plug-in hybrid vehicles (PHEV) such as the 2021 Toyota RAV-4 Prime cost less than BEVs and emit the same amount of greenhouse gases. 

"The key point is that a BEV and PHEV can provide similar environmental benefits," Toyota concluded in its statement, which also included plans for a new PHEV in Toyota's Prime series. 

Much of that conclusion is based on the source of electricity powering plug-in cars, or in other words, the grid. Yet the Union of Concerned Scientists estimates that in nearly every sector in the U.S., driving an electric vehicle produces less emissions than driving a 50-mpg gasoline car, according to Green Car Reports. Moreover, the U.S. electricity grid keeps getting cleaner as renewable energy takes over a small but growing percentage of the fossil fuel share. So with PHEVs, the rate of emissions depend on how much gas you use and how much electricity. 

Toyota's stance seems to undermine its bold plan of having 40% of new models sold in the U.S. by 2025 powered in some part by electricity, and 70% by 2030. Electrification applies to any vehicle with a battery-powered propulsion source, so hybrid vehicles (HEV) such as the Toyota Prius, 2021 Toyota Venza, and 2021 Toyota Sienna minivan count toward that target. The Venza crossover and redesigned family hauler come standard as hybrids, and the Sienna gets an excellent EPA-rated 35 mpg combined with all-wheel drive.

In addition to those three models, Toyota already sells hybrid versions of the Avalon full-size sedan, Camry mid-size sedan, Corolla compact sedan, RAV4 compact crossover, and Highlander three-row SUV. 

Toyota's current Prime series of plug-in hybrids includes the 2021 Prius Prime as well as the excellent 2021 RAV4 Prime with 42 miles of electric range. Toyota also sells the Mirai hydrogen fuel-cell electric vehicle (FCEV), but it's limited to certain areas of California near public hydrogen filling stations. 

Under that broad umbrella of electrification, it's easier to see Toyota reach those goals even without the three new models. Toyota says it has more than 40% share of the alternative fuel vehicle market, and 64% share of hybrids and plug-in hybrids. Yet it has 0% share of the booming BEV segment.

That's why it is developing a platform dedicated to EVs. The new electric SUV most likely will be the model teased for Europe in December as part of a joint venture with Subaru, who will also sell its first BEV. Previously, the automakers worked together on the Toyota 86 and Subaru BRZ affordable sports cars. 

It remains to be seen whether the electric sedan will be distinct or based on an existing model; it would make sense to offer an electric Prius to keep that name relevant for the next evolution of electrification. The new plug-in hybrid Prime model will most likely be a crossover SUV, and Toyota has an opening in the small crossover space currently occupied by the underwhelming C-HR. It certainly won't be a Land Cruiser. 
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

wap wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:58 pm Our 98 Intrigue was the first car I drove that had steering wheel buttons. The cruise control buttons were on the right spoke, iirc.
I owned a teal 1993 Ford Taurus in high school. It was the only car I’ve owned ever that had steering wheel buttons. Now the Beep Beep does, but it’s more the wife’s/family vehicle.

Living that :scrooge: :stig: life.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:18 pm Just noticed, that Aurora has the same HU that was in our Intrigue.

Who?
wap

D Griff wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:49 am
wap wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:58 pm Our 98 Intrigue was the first car I drove that had steering wheel buttons. The cruise control buttons were on the right spoke, iirc.
I owned a teal 1993 Ford Taurus in high school. It was the only car I’ve owned ever that had steering wheel buttons. Now the Beep Beep does, but it’s more the wife’s/family vehicle.

But your :mk6: :doe: ? Or was it the base model with the no-button steering wheel?
wap

D Griff wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:53 am
wap wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:18 pm Just noticed, that Aurora has the same HU that was in our Intrigue.

Who?
:(
:pouroneout:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:18 am
D Griff wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:49 am

But your :mk6: :doe: ? Or was it the base model with the no-button steering wheel?
If by base you mean :stig: edition, yes. Same with the BMW.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

BEATR doesn't have audio controls. Although I wonder if a tiptronic wheel could be swapped and the shift buttons be used for volume and track up/down....

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:34 am BEATR doesn't have audio controls. Although I wonder if a tiptronic wheel could be swapped and the shift buttons be used for volume and track up/down....

That sounds like a colossal amount of effort when the volume knob could just be used :iono:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:51 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:34 am BEATR doesn't have audio controls. Although I wonder if a tiptronic wheel could be swapped and the shift buttons be used for volume and track up/down....

That sounds like a colossal amount of effort when the volume knob could just be used :iono:
I would never do it, but I like wheel controls.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Just for the lulz, I can think of worse ways to start the week off then watching these blokes ham first expensive metal at the drag strip.

Dodge Challenger Demon v Porsche 911 Turbo S - DR…:

:megusta:
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Tarspin wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:37 am Just for the lulz, I can think of worse ways to start the week off then watching these blokes ham first expensive metal at the drag strip.

Dodge Challenger Demon v Porsche 911 Turbo S - DR…:

:megusta:
Quick lesson in trying to apply insane amounts of power on a cold, unprepped surface.