OT 19: Masks On, Clothes Off, Right Hand Left Titty

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:11 am
wap wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:09 pm

Right, but if you're "prepping/notprepping" you'll want some real back up, no? I mean, solar as a primary back up that far north is :notsure: , no? I know how many non-sunny days we get down here...
And, a half day in the dead of winter or the heat of summer can really suuuuuuuuuuuuck.
Although, your buried bunker should be somewhat protected against sudden, wild temp swings.
I need to go into some of the :science: behind how the house was engineered and designed.

Built into the hill, facing exactly south with all windows on the south side. The placement of the roof and windows was designed specifically to let sunlight in the house in the winter, but have sunlight hit the roof (buried in the ground) in the summer. A sunny day in the winter it can reach 74 in the living room without the furnace turning on once, even if it's 10 degrees outside (happened last week). And the concrete is heating up, so it retains that heat well after the sun goes down. You're right, the house takes a long time to drastically change temperature as a result.

I wouldn't view solar as a backup but as a primary energy source with the grid as backup. The house doesn't use a ton of energy by nature, so solar with a good battery storage thing could probably be primary most of the time. Because of the sun exposure, solar panels could be as efficient as possible in Michigan, which on our hill somehow ends up getting an :impressive: amount of sun compared to Detroit. I think it has to do with our elevation and proximity to water (surrounded by big water) that messes with the clouds and weather patterns. But even when it's somewhat cloudy, the sun manages to get through a bit, our plants in the window sills are going insane this winter.
The lake effect is a really cool phenomenon, I really love being around it even in the dead of summer.

Your home's design is :impressive: , how old is it?
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Tarspin wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:47 am
I need to go into some of the :science: behind how the house was engineered and designed.

Built into the hill, facing exactly south with all windows on the south side. The placement of the roof and windows was designed specifically to let sunlight in the house in the winter, but have sunlight hit the roof (buried in the ground) in the summer. A sunny day in the winter it can reach 74 in the living room without the furnace turning on once, even if it's 10 degrees outside (happened last week). And the concrete is heating up, so it retains that heat well after the sun goes down. You're right, the house takes a long time to drastically change temperature as a result.

I wouldn't view solar as a backup but as a primary energy source with the grid as backup. The house doesn't use a ton of energy by nature, so solar with a good battery storage thing could probably be primary most of the time. Because of the sun exposure, solar panels could be as efficient as possible in Michigan, which on our hill somehow ends up getting an :impressive: amount of sun compared to Detroit. I think it has to do with our elevation and proximity to water (surrounded by big water) that messes with the clouds and weather patterns. But even when it's somewhat cloudy, the sun manages to get through a bit, our plants in the window sills are going insane this winter.
The lake effect is a really cool phenomenon, I really love being around it even in the dead of summer.

Built in 1980. It was super modern at the time. Still is, really.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:46 am
razr390 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:35 pm

Sent by Max, but I’ll share it here

There’s a huge winter advisory affecting the middle of the country. Even in San Antonio we are dealing with freezing/below freezing temps.

This happened up in Dallas/FtWorth earlier this morning. JFC

This is insane, I think the city better consider investing in some salt trucks and learn how to plan ahead for these cold spells.
That's going to be the challenge for these places. Spending money on salt trucks to sit for 360 days of the year is a pretty :notsure: use of funds. But without them, disaster can strike like this.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:05 am
Tarspin wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:47 am

:mindblown: , record high interest rates in 1980 (21%) and someone builds a bunker in the wall of a mountain. There is a crazy story behind the builder of this place. :popcorn:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:07 am

This is insane, I think the city better consider investing in some salt trucks and learn how to plan ahead for these cold spells.
That's going to be the challenge for these places. Spending money on salt trucks to sit for 360 days of the year is a pretty :notsure: use of funds. But without them, disaster can strike like this.
Insurance companies everywhere are going crazy after the carnage from last year. They probably won't have any regrets suing the cities to recoup funds, and I think it will for the hand of municipalities to 'do something'. :iono:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Happy friyay !
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:13 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:05 am
:mindblown: , record high interest rates in 1980 (21%) and someone builds a bunker in the wall of a mountain. There is a crazy story behind the builder of this place. :popcorn:
The dude that built it was a prominent doctor, and rumor has it he built a few funky houses in the area. This one was his primary residence that he lived in until he passed in the mid 00's. I imagine he paid cash for the place because it was likely absurdly expensive for "just" a 1,500 sqft 2bd2bth house. Nobody builds a house like this unless they're a bit eccentric, and I'm glad he did because it's so freaking cool.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:41 amHappy friyay !
:fuckyeah:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:03 am

The dude that built it was a prominent doctor, and rumor has it he built a few funky houses in the area. This one was his primary residence that he lived in until he passed in the mid 00's. I imagine he paid cash for the place because it was likely absurdly expensive for "just" a 1,500 sqft 2bd2bth house. Nobody builds a house like this unless they're a bit eccentric, and I'm glad he did because it's so freaking cool.
Nice grab, the hefty portions of eccentricity and loose cash tells me that he could :dealwithit: without cutting any corners during design/build, and it shows in many ways. I'm :jelly: , that's a one in a million home ownership experience, and my favorite part is how it self sustains, warm in the winter/cool in the summer/etc. You could literally give the middle finger to modern society and the financial enslavement that it brings (to some extent), and still survive at the top of your hill.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:19 am
Nice grab, the hefty portions of eccentricity and loose cash tells me that he could :dealwithit: without cutting any corners during design/build, and it shows in many ways. I'm :jelly: , that's a one in a million home ownership experience, and my favorite part is how it self sustains, warm in the winter/cool in the summer/etc. You could literally give the middle finger to modern society and the financial enslavement that it brings (to some extent), and still survive at the top of your hill.
The house was overbuilt in 1980. We have the original blueprints, and the engineering that went into it is :mindblown: As I've taken things apart, I've noticed incredible spending, including 12 awg stranded copper wire through the entire house, 200 amp service, solar water heater controllers (that no longer work), rough sawn cedar lining all walls that aren't concrete (solid length rough sawn, nothing is pieced together, I pulled a solid 16ft baseboard out last week), and concrete legit 6 FEET thick on the opposing W/E walls of the house. It was engineered to be self-sustaining including the ability to heat the entire house with a wood burning stove in the lower level (we're having a natural gas unit installed) in addition to the natural solar gains.

The long term plan is to give the middle finger to the ratrace of accumulation. Financial enslavement and whatnot isn't necessary in this place. We managed to pay $330k for it from a friend, we put 25% down which got us a 2.6% 30 year fixed mortgage and with taxes ~$3.5k annually, $800/year insurance, and $800/year HOA dues, we have a $1,350 monthly obligation. Utilities have proven to be $200/mo for gas/electric/internet during the winter, so as long as we have ~$1,500/mo to pay the bills, we'll have a roof over our heads. THAT is the gamechanger for me, it's :mindblown: cheap compared to what we used to be on the hook for (more than double), so it's allowed us to rethink what matters and what life really means. I know I don't want more than this because I've had it and it sucks. This is my endgame. Plus, upside with being able to go further off the grid with solar, small scale farming, and smarter rain water collection, we could go full blown hippie eventually.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

wap wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:09 pm

Right, but if you're "prepping/notprepping" you'll want some real back up, no? I mean, solar as a primary back up that far north is :notsure: , no? I know how many non-sunny days we get down here...
And, a half day in the dead of winter or the heat of summer can really suuuuuuuuuuuuck.
Although, your buried bunker should be somewhat protected against sudden, wild temp swings.

Makes total sense.
That's really some :neat: and :impressive: engineering!
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:00 pm

Makes total sense.
I haven't even talked about the return air plenum and heat transfer ducts from the solarium...

Damn, I have some posts to make in my thread.
wap

The dude that built it was Ted Kaczynski.
Thought so.
wap

Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:34 am

The house was overbuilt in 1980. We have the original blueprints, and the engineering that went into it is :mindblown: As I've taken things apart, I've noticed incredible spending, including 12 awg stranded copper wire through the entire house, 200 amp service, solar water heater controllers (that no longer work), rough sawn cedar lining all walls that aren't concrete (solid length rough sawn, nothing is pieced together, I pulled a solid 16ft baseboard out last week), and concrete legit 6 FEET thick on the opposing W/E walls of the house. It was engineered to be self-sustaining including the ability to heat the entire house with a wood burning stove in the lower level (we're having a natural gas unit installed) in addition to the natural solar gains.

The long term plan is to give the middle finger to the ratrace of accumulation. Financial enslavement and whatnot isn't necessary in this place. We managed to pay $330k for it from a friend, we put 25% down which got us a 2.6% 30 year fixed mortgage and with taxes ~$3.5k annually, $800/year insurance, and $800/year HOA dues, we have a $1,350 monthly obligation. Utilities have proven to be $200/mo for gas/electric/internet during the winter, so as long as we have ~$1,500/mo to pay the bills, we'll have a roof over our heads. THAT is the gamechanger for me, it's :mindblown: cheap compared to what we used to be on the hook for (more than double), so it's allowed us to rethink what matters and what life really means. I know I don't want more than this because I've had it and it sucks. This is my endgame. Plus, upside with being able to go further off the grid with solar, small scale farming, and smarter rain water collection, we could go full blown hippie eventually.
So much :mindblown: :fuckyeah: here.
wap

Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:04 pm
wap wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:00 pm
Makes total sense.
I haven't even talked about the return air plenum and heat transfer ducts from the solarium...

Damn, I have some posts to make in my thread.
:yesth:
:doit: !
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:07 pm
Thought so.
:lolgasm:

Dude's name was Dr. Tom Hall. I can't find a thing about him anywhere. Just stories as told by neighbors.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Thought so.
LOOL, what gave it away, the six foot thick walls?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

razr390 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:35 pm

Sent by Max, but I’ll share it here

There’s a huge winter advisory affecting the middle of the country. Even in San Antonio we are dealing with freezing/below freezing temps.

This happened up in Dallas/FtWorth earlier this morning. JFC

I got stranded in Houston a few years ago in the Bang Bus... they literally shut down the roads in/out due to ice so I couldn't leave or do anything. I wound up stuck at some mediocre hotel and the Bus was broken into over night... weirdly the destroyed the door/locks but didn't take a thing from the interior, despite there being hundreds of thousands of dollars of equipment inside :wtf:

Fuck Houston, that is the worst city in the US.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:dat: it is a legit cool as hell place that was built just to be a nice place to live, not with any bean counting involved. I would love to have a unique home in a nice setting. I enjoy my home/location/woods close to town, but this place is nothing but a 60s/70s mass production build that really isn't all that exciting, all for the same price as Chris's house sitting on 0.2 acres and only 1050 sq. ft.
wap

Tarspin wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:35 pm

Thought so.
That, and remote location, in the woods, top of a hill, current owner, etc.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

This week flew by, but now today is dragging.

Coworker in the cube next to me has been hiccuping nonstop for the last 15 minutes.. bitch go get a drink of water.
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:03 pm

I got stranded in Houston a few years ago in the Bang Bus... they literally shut down the roads in/out due to ice so I couldn't leave or do anything. I wound up stuck at some mediocre hotel and the Bus was broken into over night... weirdly the destroyed the door/locks but didn't take a thing from the interior, despite there being hundreds of thousands of dollars of equipment inside :wtf:

Fuck Houston, that is the worst city in the US.
Yea but you didn't carry PlayStation 4s and iPhones. They can't possibly sell high end audio on craigslist without raising suspicion and overnight.
max225

So far today... I relocated an electrical box inside one of my island cabinets + I put in a new drawer mechanism as the old one went to shit thanks to the last owner keeping what it seems like was a heavy trash can inside it.

It was a bit of a bitch... As the mechanism was hard to find "everything is custom" BS.

Man the amount of random shit I did around the house to date has been just insane.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:27 pm
Tarspin wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:35 pm

Savage! :lol:
wap

Tarspin wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:52 pm
wap wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:27 pm

Savage! :lol:
:trollface:

Was wondering if anyone would notice. :lol: