OT 19: Masks On, Clothes Off, Right Hand Left Titty

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I've always hated people and had to develop how to come across personable, kind, and caring at an early age. I'm always uncomfortable presenting or in social settings, so I've just developed a persona that I adopt to get through those situations. The benefit is the current situation doesn't change that at all.

I just now had a coworker tell me how personable I am and how much they enjoy meetings I run. They asked if I was dying not being around people in the office. I told them I'm quite an introvert by nature and I've had to teach myself how to not be in professional settings. They were :mindblown: had no idea, assumed I was an outgoing extravert all the time.

I live in a fucking bunker on top of a hill in the middle of nowhere (not that anyone I work with knows), I'm far from extraverted.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:31 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:27 pm

Tongue and lip ties are a bitch. If she can eat and talk somewhat she’s going to be ok though. Socialization is hard across the board. I wonder how that will impact these kids later in life.

Baby loves the cat and dog here too. Especially the cat. He holds his arms out and kitty rubs all over him lol. The dog just licks his face which he doesn’t seem to care about. He has taste tested both animals, not sure on his preference there.
I am about to turn 32 and I feel like my social skills are decimated after the past year. I find I am far more awkward on the phone at work, despite being on calls daily.

I hope this doesn't negatively impact your kiddos too much. I would think it's tougher on older kids missing out on years of schooling in person. But :iono: :baby: development is a crazy thing. It sounds like you guys are both doing the best with what you have to work with :doe:
Oh contraire mon frère, the little kids are better behaved at school now that their parents are involved in their upbringing around the clock. I know it isn't exactly "socializing", but there is some value in this unusual exercise.

Still, I hope that life goes back to yesteryear ASAP. Mental wellness is compromised as we have seen on this forum and abroad.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:14 pm I've always hated people and had to develop how to come across personable, kind, and caring at an early age. I'm always uncomfortable presenting or in social settings, so I've just developed a persona that I adopt to get through those situations. The benefit is the current situation doesn't change that at all.

I just now had a coworker tell me how personable I am and how much they enjoy meetings I run. They asked if I was dying not being around people in the office. I told them I'm quite an introvert by nature and I've had to teach myself how to not be in professional settings. They were :mindblown: had no idea, assumed I was an outgoing extravert all the time.

I live in a fucking bunker on top of a hill in the middle of nowhere (not that anyone I work with knows), I'm far from extraverted.
:impressive: honestly. It is tough to overcome all of that and it sounds like you've crushed it. I still get a chuckle out of the secret bunker life and :fakenews: disdain for Detroit weather.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:10 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:49 pm

:dat:

Even I like to have some basics like canned goods, pasta, firewood, etc. on hand. I doubt it'll ever be needed, but we could survive for a bit.

Water is one thing we don't have any of. I hate bottled water and also hate the idea of storing it, our house is so damn small. It would probably be smart to have some gallons on hand though.
If you're on city water, you probably don't have to worry about water issues...if a municipal water system goes down, the end is upon you.

We have a well, so no power means no water. Water is critical to stay alive, so I always keep some on hand. I too hate bottled water, which is why we just have a small 12 pack that could be put in the car easy, and I have 2 5 gallon potable water jugs for camping that I keep full at all times as an emergency backup.
A small city in Florida got hacked and someone almost poisoned their water supply. This cyber threat to the grid/infrastructure is no joke.

https://www.wired.com/story/oldsmar-flo ... lity-hack/
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

razr390 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:52 pm 32 degrees and raining, feels like 23 and I drove to work on my summer tires.

RIP nuns, puppies, and children.
Sent by Max, but I’ll share it here

There’s a huge winter advisory affecting the middle of the country. Even in San Antonio we are dealing with freezing/below freezing temps.

This happened up in Dallas/FtWorth earlier this morning. JFC

:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:30 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:14 pm I've always hated people and had to develop how to come across personable, kind, and caring at an early age. I'm always uncomfortable presenting or in social settings, so I've just developed a persona that I adopt to get through those situations. The benefit is the current situation doesn't change that at all.

:impressive: honestly. It is tough to overcome all of that and it sounds like you've crushed it. I still get a chuckle out of the secret bunker life and :fakenews: disdain for Detroit weather.
I credit a lot of my development to my mother who got me into theater at a young age (8). Not only did I learn how to be a different person, but I also learned how to be more comfortable with myself and not give a fuck about what other people thought. That's the biggest hurdle, fear of judgement.

Secret bunker lyfe is hilarious. I was out clearing snow on Monday and missed a call from a coworker. I texted him back that I was out clearing snow, and he responded "where do you live that you got snow? I haven't seen snow in a while". Woops, uhhhh "I was clearing snow that I didn't get to last week in the backyard".

Whew...I need to stay closer with Detroit weather. :lolgasm:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:35 pm
razr390 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:52 pm 32 degrees and raining, feels like 23 and I drove to work on my summer tires.

There’s a huge winter advisory affecting the middle of the country. Even in San Antonio we are dealing with freezing/below freezing temps.

Holy crap! That's crazy.

I'm not sure how anyone can deny climate change at this point. We can debate the human element, but shit is changing no doubt. Ice storms in Houston, meanwhile 2,000 miles north in Northern MI it's nearly the same temp and we've had record low snow.
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:34 pm
If you're on city water, you probably don't have to worry about water issues...if a municipal water system goes down, the end is upon you.

We have a well, so no power means no water. Water is critical to stay alive, so I always keep some on hand. I too hate bottled water, which is why we just have a small 12 pack that could be put in the car easy, and I have 2 5 gallon potable water jugs for camping that I keep full at all times as an emergency backup.
A small city in Florida got hacked and someone almost poisoned their water supply. This cyber threat to the grid/infrastructure is no joke.

Bunkerlyfe wins again.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:43 pm

Holy crap! That's crazy.

I'm not sure how anyone can deny climate change at this point. We can debate the human element, but shit is changing no doubt. Ice storms in Houston, meanwhile 2,000 miles north in Northern MI it's nearly the same temp and we've had record low snow.
:word:

I'm definitely on the 'it has always been changing, so find a better excuse to tax people', but there is no doubt that we are seeing shifting weather patterns. I look at the surface of our planet as layers of fluids on a ball that has a variable orbit around an analog heat source; How can it not be ever changing?

It will be interesting to see how things transpire; theories of :thisisfine: or :moist: Waterworld lyfe interest me greatly.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:48 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:43 pm
Holy crap! That's crazy.

I'm definitely on the 'it has always been changing, so find a better excuse to tax people', but there is no doubt that we are seeing shifting weather patterns. I look at the surface of our planet as layers of fluids on a ball that has a variable orbit around an analog heat source; How can it not be ever changing?

It will be interesting to see how things transpire; theories of :thisisfine: or :moist: Waterworld lyfe interest me greatly.

I'm particularly interested in :thisisfine: because it's making where I live far more enjoyable the entire year. You're in the same boat, I'm sure.

I don't think we're going to reach :nuke: status anytime soon, but the changes are happening and it's very noticeable.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:49 pm

Even I like to have some basics like canned goods, pasta, firewood, etc. on hand. I doubt it'll ever be needed, but we could survive for a bit.

Water is one thing we don't have any of. I hate bottled water and also hate the idea of storing it, our house is so damn small. It would probably be smart to have some gallons on hand though.

What is your energy source in your unibomber bunker? If natural gas you should really consider a whole- :haus: generator. Removes the fear of power outages, keeps water flowing, lights lit, furnace and AC running, projector projecting, etc. A bit spendy to install, but massive peace of mind in perpetuity.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:41 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:30 pm

I credit a lot of my development to my mother who got me into theater at a young age (8). Not only did I learn how to be a different person, but I also learned how to be more comfortable with myself and not give a fuck about what other people thought. That's the biggest hurdle, fear of judgement.

Secret bunker lyfe is hilarious. I was out clearing snow on Monday and missed a call from a coworker. I texted him back that I was out clearing snow, and he responded "where do you live that you got snow? I haven't seen snow in a while". Woops, uhhhh "I was clearing snow that I didn't get to last week in the backyard".

Whew...I need to stay closer with Detroit weather. :lolgasm:
:lolol:
wap

Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:45 pm
razr390 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:34 pm

Bunkerlyfe wins again.
Question,
Since you live on the shores of literally the largest supply of fresh water on the planet, and since you're planning for the worst, why not invest in some simple water purification system? Literally infinite supply of potable water can be yours for the taking.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:48 pm
Bunkerlyfe wins again.
Question,
Since you live on the shores of literally the largest supply of fresh water on the planet, and since you're planning for the worst, why not invest in some simple water purification system? Literally infinite supply of potable water can be yours for the taking.
I was thinking along a similar line... if shit hit the fan that much, I can walk to a creek and use the ol' Sawyer Squeeze to get drinking water.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Dat Unabomber Lyfe
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:32 pm
Tarspin wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:48 pm

I'm particularly interested in :thisisfine: because it's making where I live far more enjoyable the entire year. You're in the same boat, I'm sure.

I don't think we're going to reach :nuke: status anytime soon, but the changes are happening and it's very noticeable.
Being near water combined with a climate that's slightly on the too cold side currently means that global warming trends might improve our lifestyle.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:44 pm

What is your energy source in your unibomber bunker? If natural gas you should really consider a whole- :haus: generator. Removes the fear of power outages, keeps water flowing, lights lit, furnace and AC running, projector projecting, etc. A bit spendy to install, but massive peace of mind in perpetuity.
Natural gas for the furnace, electric for everything else. Eventually I'd like to do solar with some sort of battery backup (powerwall or something) which would drop our energy bills to next to nothing.

Full transparency, the bunker is in a :waxer: area. All the power lines are buried, and we've only ever experienced one power outage that lasted 2 hours. Our neighbors claim we usually only get one power outage a year, and because of the area :waxer: we tend to get priority for fixes so they never last longer than half a day at most.
ChrisoftheNorth

Bunkerlyfe wins again.
Question,
The problem is transporting it. Our well water is extremely clean, but still need power to get it out of the ground. To pull it up from the great lakes would take a big tank of some sort and a truck to transport it, then a tank to store and a mechanism to treat it. Overkill for the reality of unlikely apocalypse.

In the worst case, I'd just take the camper down by the water, we have some life straws, and just use those to drink.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:50 pm

Question,
I was thinking along a similar line... if shit hit the fan that much, I can walk to a creek and use the ol' Sawyer Squeeze to get drinking water.
Which is why I like being close to water. We'll be fine.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:08 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:32 pm

Being near water combined with a climate that's slightly on the too cold side currently means that global warming trends might improve our lifestyle.
This winter for example has been fantastic overall. It didn't regularly get below freezing until last week, it's been sunny more than I expected and I've barely had to clear snow. I know that winter is here and will be here through April, but at least it hasn't been gong on since November like it usually is. 2 months of extreme winter is tolerable for me, and if this ends up being a trend I'm :fuckyeah: about it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:15 pm

Natural gas for the furnace, electric for everything else. Eventually I'd like to do solar with some sort of battery backup (powerwall or something) which would drop our energy bills to next to nothing.

Full transparency, the bunker is in a :waxer: area. All the power lines are buried, and we've only ever experienced one power outage that lasted 2 hours. Our neighbors claim we usually only get one power outage a year, and because of the area :waxer: we tend to get priority for fixes so they never last longer than half a day at most.
We live in a section of our neighborhood that is a bit newer, built in the 1970s whereas the rest of the homes in the area were constructed in the 50s and 60s. Because of this, we are the lone streets with underground power lines. It makes for far fewer outages which is 5/7.
wap

Right, but if you're "prepping/notprepping" you'll want some real back up, no? I mean, solar as a primary back up that far north is :notsure: , no? I know how many non-sunny days we get down here...
And, a half day in the dead of winter or the heat of summer can really suuuuuuuuuuuuck.
Although, your buried bunker should be somewhat protected against sudden, wild temp swings.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:20 pm
Tarspin wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:08 pm

This winter for example has been fantastic overall. It didn't regularly get below freezing until last week, it's been sunny more than I expected and I've barely had to clear snow. I know that winter is here and will be here through April, but at least it hasn't been gong on since November like it usually is. 2 months of extreme winter is tolerable for me, and if this ends up being a trend I'm :fuckyeah: about it.
Can you drive onto the water yet for dorifto?
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:09 pm

Right, but if you're "prepping/notprepping" you'll want some real back up, no? I mean, solar as a primary back up that far north is :notsure: , no? I know how many non-sunny days we get down here...
And, a half day in the dead of winter or the heat of summer can really suuuuuuuuuuuuck.
Although, your buried bunker should be somewhat protected against sudden, wild temp swings.
I need to go into some of the :science: behind how the house was engineered and designed.

Built into the hill, facing exactly south with all windows on the south side. The placement of the roof and windows was designed specifically to let sunlight in the house in the winter, but have sunlight hit the roof (buried in the ground) in the summer. A sunny day in the winter it can reach 74 in the living room without the furnace turning on once, even if it's 10 degrees outside (happened last week). And the concrete is heating up, so it retains that heat well after the sun goes down. You're right, the house takes a long time to drastically change temperature as a result.

I wouldn't view solar as a backup but as a primary energy source with the grid as backup. The house doesn't use a ton of energy by nature, so solar with a good battery storage thing could probably be primary most of the time. Because of the sun exposure, solar panels could be as efficient as possible in Michigan, which on our hill somehow ends up getting an :impressive: amount of sun compared to Detroit. I think it has to do with our elevation and proximity to water (surrounded by big water) that messes with the clouds and weather patterns. But even when it's somewhat cloudy, the sun manages to get through a bit, our plants in the window sills are going insane this winter.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

This is insane, I think the city better consider investing in some salt trucks and learn how to plan ahead for these cold spells.