OT 19: Masks On, Clothes Off, Right Hand Left Titty

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:57 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:39 pm

Also, I ENJOY changing oil. I am mechanically inclined but not in the extreme like the Hound, and it is a simple task but still has to be done correctly. I also have a nice setup to do it in, never freezing weather, QuickJack, sportsball on the garage flatscreen, morning coffee etc. If I lived in an apartment in Scranton, PA, I might be hitting the Blackstone a little harder.
My setup is somewhere in between those two but I have to say, the "free" :dillerman: oil changes on the :jeep: are a big pain in my ass and not worth it. Changing at home is far preferable IMO. It takes less time and there's no worry of some idiot fucking it up. The Jeep place also tried to sell my wife on some :bs: items last time she took it for the free oil change... so that easily becomes a $200 oil change had she taken the bait.

They keep requesting me completing some service rape palace survey since then and I refuse to give them their top marks when they tried to take advantage of my spouse. :gtfo:
Agreed...I'd much rather change my own oil than deal with the "free" dealer ones. I told :tits: to take hers in and refuse to pay for anything. Not only did she do that but she managed to convince them to hand wash her beebeep. She's pretty savage with those people, but it's still a hassle because she complained about the waste of time all day, plus I had to drive down with her so she wasn't stuck at the dealer for half a day waiting.

I might just do my own oil changes on beebeep from now on. It's easy in the JL, and only a once a year thing with how few miles its driven. Up to 8.5k now, had it for 18 months now. :mindblown:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:59 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:55 pm
Hard to connect reliability because engines in the 80-early-00's were kind of the sweet spot for reliability. Enough experience building engines to know what it takes to make them run forever, plus computer controls advanced enough to monitor things like knock and control timing, monitor oil life :triggered: but without the complexity of DI, fancy emissions system, and tons of boost. Engines these days are going to be throw away units, and like you mentioned I think we peaked with engine reliability past 100k miles overall. Engines are still engineered to go past 200k miles, but there's just so many variables for that, I think it's going to take a lot more to make an engine go 200k than before.
I mean... I don't think I know a single person outside of racing/track day shit who has ever blown an engine. It seems like they are pretty darn robust in the modern era. Transmissions on the other hand, still seem to shit the bed often enough.
How many people do you know that have modern cars deep in the 100k miles range?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

max225 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:48 pm

I mean this has been beyond confirmed:
BMW No free maintenance 5000 miles post 15000
VW Pre free maintenance 5000 post 10000
Toyota 5000 post 10000
Mini 5000 pre 15000/10000 post

Nothing about the engines changed, and most oil compositions stayed similar/same. Certainly not different enough, I.E 50-100% increase in oil capacity and additional filtration etc.

This is also coinciding with another different factoid... It seems like cars from the 90s and early 00s are the most reliable ones on record (MB/LR exlcuded). Anything more recent has had far more complexity added as well as oil change intervals far prolonged.
Hard to connect reliability because engines in the 80-early-00's were kind of the sweet spot for reliability. Enough experience building engines to know what it takes to make them run forever, plus computer controls advanced enough to monitor things like knock and control timing, monitor oil life :triggered: but without the complexity of DI, fancy emissions system, and tons of boost. Engines these days are going to be throw away units, and like you mentioned I think we peaked with engine reliability past 100k miles overall. Engines are still engineered to go past 200k miles, but there's just so many variables for that, I think it's going to take a lot more to make an engine go 200k than before.
I have 0 faith that my mini engine will go 200k miles. 100k sure but anything past that is a crap shoot, as you mentioned far too much complexity with plastics everywhere, turbos, intercoolers etc.

The taco however ... I’m confident in for 300k
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:33 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:28 pm

But is it right to fill up at 1/2 a tank ? :triggered:
(Walt Kowalski voice) It doesn't cost any more to run on the top 1/2 of the tank.
I fill up weekly. I’m usually between 1/2 and 3/4 full when I go.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

I only fill up at around 1/4 - 1/3 full in the dead of winter to mitigate condensation in the tank. Warmer weather I :aintcare: until the idiot light comes on.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:03 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:59 pm

I mean... I don't think I know a single person outside of racing/track day shit who has ever blown an engine. It seems like they are pretty darn robust in the modern era. Transmissions on the other hand, still seem to shit the bed often enough.
:iono: a lot of people I know drive pretty shitty cars... I feel like most end up bailing on them when they're nickel and dimed by small issues, never an engine failure.

My parents have an '07 Solara - zero issues.
Buddy has a '95 Ranger - lots of little things, but motor/trans run well. He also had a 2013 Focus for over 100K miles with zero issues.
Friend has an '09 Kia Rio total shitbox, thing runs great.
Wife's 2012 Fusion was at 150K or so and dead reliable, still going strong with the new owner.
My Corvette gets tracked regularly, runs great, just little issues that are annoying.
I have aunts and uncles who own quite a few 10-20 year old BMWs... they all require a bunch of annoying dumb maintenance, but no blown motors/transmissions.
Close friend of mine has an R56 Mini even, with like 150K+ and he has no engine issues (plenty of electronic :bs: )

:iono: I am racking my brain and can't think of a single person I know who's had a motor blow up on them.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:39 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:03 pm
:iono: a lot of people I know drive pretty shitty cars... I feel like most end up bailing on them when they're nickel and dimed by small issues, never an engine failure.

My parents have an '07 Solara - zero issues.
Buddy has a '95 Ranger - lots of little things, but motor/trans run well. He also had a 2013 Focus for over 100K miles with zero issues.
Friend has an '09 Kia Rio total shitbox, thing runs great.
Wife's 2012 Fusion was at 150K or so and dead reliable, still going strong with the new owner.
My Corvette gets tracked regularly, runs great, just little issues that are annoying.
I have aunts and uncles who own quite a few 10-20 year old BMWs... they all require a bunch of annoying dumb maintenance, but no blown motors/transmissions.
Close friend of mine has an R56 Mini even, with like 150K+ and he has no engine issues (plenty of electronic :bs: )

:iono: I am racking my brain and can't think of a single person I know who's had a motor blow up on them.
:notbad:

I suppose the basics of an ICE engine haven't changed in 100+ years, so maximizing the fundamentals are pretty much done.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:31 pm I only fill up at around 1/4 - 1/3 full in the dead of winter to mitigate condensation in the tank. Warmer weather I :aintcare: until the idiot light comes on.
Condensation is an excellent point. I try to keep the vehicles above 1/3-1/2 because I want the fuel if I need to for an emergency.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

razr390 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:02 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:29 pm

Absolutely, I don't go all in, I just pretty much gotta be assertive until theres someone else thats even more assertive, besides, it'll make me late for what 10 seconds? Just some people are entitled and that dude in particular seemed like he needed to prove something, like perfect, your 2005 rusty Elantra has good brakes and can accelerate fast 10-15-8-15 woooooo, not partaking on shenanigans to someone I don't even know. At the end, he got stuck being on the side of the road cause thats his choice, and I was close to giving up till he had to finally stop. :ohwell:
NoVA traffic taught you well. 495 and I-66
:dat: though it's a different ball game here to the point I don't think I'll ever complain the traffic in the nova area again, except for the ongoing construction on 66 thanks to extra ez pass lanes.

But forreal, If I hadn't drove in any metropolitan cities, I'd probably been screwed here.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

I have to say, today was quite a stellar day especially for driving :lol: probably the biggest highlight was kind of a good deed.

Story time!!
So since all the restaurants are either closed or takeout only, I drove to one of my favorite joints with a friend. We were driving on the European side of the Bosphorus. Since there were only spots I can only pull over with hazards on without impeding traffic, my friend decided to grab mine for me, then saw a car at one of the spots move out, so I got that spot real quick. After a nice chicken sandwich and coffee (yes they sell coffee there and man was it good), when we chilled by the benches, we were about to leave. We saw these 4 girls in an older BMW X5 that were also standing waiting for a spot, so I decided out of the blue to walk up to them saying "my car is in one of those spots in front of you and we're about to leave, mind if you guys take it" and they went hell yeah for it and off we went. It was one of those feeling good moments where I decided to fuck it and just that right off the spot, anyway :csb:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
wap

Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:26 pm
wap wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:31 pm I only fill up at around 1/4 - 1/3 full in the dead of winter to mitigate condensation in the tank. Warmer weather I :aintcare: until the idiot light comes on.
Condensation is an excellent point. I try to keep the vehicles above 1/3-1/2 because I want the fuel if I need to for an emergency.
Makes sense for you living dat unibomber life. I routinely pass at least brand name gas stations during my 6 mile commute to work every day and have probably a dozen stations within 5 miles of my :haus: so i have zero chance of being stranded and can fill up literally minutes after leaving home.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Curious what sort of emergency would require more than 50 miles of range aka red light is shining bright
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:40 pm
Makes sense for you living dat unibomber life. I routinely pass at least brand name gas stations during my 6 mile commute to work every day and have probably a dozen stations within 5 miles of my :haus: so i have zero chance of being stranded and can fill up literally minutes after leaving home.
The nearest concentration of gas stations is about 20 minutes 15 miles. There's a gas station on our peninsula ~5 min from our house, but it's the only one. If it were shut down for whatever reason, need to be able to go at least 10 miles to the next one. But in the event of a bad snow thing or some sort of other :nuke: I like knowing both vehicle have at least 1/3+ tank.
wap

max225 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:44 pm Curious what sort of emergency would require more than 50 miles of range aka red light is shining bright
For DPlac? I imagine if something (God forbid) happened to his dad and he had to rush back down to SE Meatchicken would be one scenario.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:44 pm Curious what sort of emergency would require more than 50 miles of range aka red light is shining bright
Getting stuck in a snow bank with nobody around and no cell reception and you need your vehicle to keep running to stay warm and not die
Power outage takes out house power and need to stay warm in car and not die
Driving at night and gas stations can close randomly (because middle of nowhere), I've gone 70 miles before without seeing a single open gas station.

Limited case :caspian: shit for sure, but that backwoods shit is a real possibility for us. I like to reduce anxiety by filling up more frequently. Small trade off for my piece of mind.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:46 pm
For DPlac? I imagine if something (God forbid) happened to his dad and he had to rush back down to SE Meatchicken would be one scenario.
Oh yea, and the need to go somewhere quickly. Yep! To my point about gas stations being closed, if I need to go somewhere in the middle of the night, almost all gas stations are closed. Half a tank in either vehicle will get us to the highway where there's 24 hour truck stops to fill up at.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Full :caspian: but I’d rather be fully loaded just in case there is some sort of mass evacuation order. Don’t want to be trying to fuel up with all the plebs as a tsunami crushes San Diego.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:55 pm Full :caspian: but I’d rather be fully loaded just in case there is some sort of mass evacuation order. Don’t want to be trying to fuel up with all the plebs as a tsunami crushes San Diego.
This is always at the back of my mind too, especially where I live and the concentration (lack of) gas stations.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I missed this. Do like.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:28 pm

I missed this. Do like.
:mahman:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:52 am
Apex wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:09 am

Final countdown for me...
Took Thursday and Friday off for a 5 day weekend.
:fuckyeah:

Doing anything in particular?
Not really. Kiddo’s going to her grandparents Friday through Sunday doe.

It’s gonna be weird. :lol:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

I got the kiddo into battlebots now. She keeps asking to watch it. :megusta:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

max225 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:08 pm
I have 0 faith that my mini engine will go 200k miles. 100k sure but anything past that is a crap shoot, as you mentioned far too much complexity with plastics everywhere, turbos, intercoolers etc.

The taco however ... I’m confident in for 300k
No faith in 200k?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

RIP:
wap

Tarspin wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:11 pm RIP:
:pouroneout: