Do you even invest?

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Acid666 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:35 am
razr390 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:31 am
In the ultimate paradox: hedge funds are backed by the .gov which is backed by the tax-payer. That’s why the .gov shouldn’t back them.

A finance youtuber I'm subscribed to put it best yesterday.
"It's privatized profits, and socialized losses"
Marko WhiteBoardFinance?!
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

razr390 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:34 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:33 am
Well yea, the SEC only cares about the big fish.

The thing is, there's nothing illegal about buying a stock and holding it...which is what people are doing. If there was a massive coordinated buy with a coordinated sell-off at a certain price, then there would be issues.

I'm sure there will be new regulations to make this illegal somehow so it never happens again.
I fail to understand how hedge funds can do it but retail investors can’t? Shorting is LITERALLY coordinated buys and coordinated sell-offs to profit.
I don't think it's supposed to make sense. The game is rigged for hedge funds.
razr390

KEY POINTS
The SEC said it is reviewing recent trading volatility that has led to a meteoric rise in GameStop and AMC Entertainment.
The SEC vowed to to protect traders and promised to scrutinize actions taken by brokerages that may "unduly inhibit their ability to trade certain securities."
"We will act to protect retail investors when the facts demonstrate abusive or manipulative trading activity," the SEC said in a release.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/29/sec-rev ... stors.html
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:25 am
He's right. If you care about your money, get out now. It is absolutely absurd...anyone thinking they're going to get rich off of this is delusional. It's transcended that. It's exposed the rigged stupidity of the market, and the power of many insignificant people banding together against a common enemy. That's the element I'm rallying behind, not massive gains.

I'm staying in because it's power in numbers. As this gains more mainstream attention, it's hard to say how many people will hold the same way. It's literally a game of chicken that I fully expect the hedges to win. They have the .gov backing them, the rest (us) have nothing but what we back ourselves with. Which is why I'm only playing with money I don't care about losing.
In the ultimate paradox: hedge funds are backed by the .gov which is backed by the tax-payer. That’s why the .gov shouldn’t back them.
Shouldn't, but will in the name of market stability or something claiming it's better for everyone.

I don't care if the market dies TBH. I've got nothing in it but my 401ks that probably won't be there when I need them anyway (they'll be robbed to support Social Security or the markets or SOMETHING before I can access them).

The world can go down for all I care, it's why I bought a bunker on a hill in the middle of nowhere.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:33 am
Well yea, the SEC only cares about the big fish.

The thing is, there's nothing illegal about buying a stock and holding it...which is what people are doing. If there was a massive coordinated buy with a coordinated sell-off at a certain price, then there would be issues.

I'm sure there will be new regulations to make this illegal somehow so it never happens again.
I fail to understand how hedge funds can do it but retail investors can’t? Shorting is LITERALLY coordinated buys and coordinated sell-offs to profit.
That's why nothing illegal has taken place. Hence all the "I LIKE THE STOCK" And HOLD talks.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
razr390

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:36 am
I don't think it's supposed to make sense. The game is rigged for hedge funds.
I know this is a “thing” that has been at play. With how public this scandal is, I don’t think there can be any short rigging anymore. People will literally protest and keep doing this until the rules are changed. Big eyes on the gov to do something especially after AOC, Ted Cruz, DJT Jr among others voiced outrage
ChrisoftheNorth

:notwrong:
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

razr390 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:36 am

Yeah brah, he's the man
razr390

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:37 am
Shouldn't, but will in the name of market stability or something claiming it's better for everyone.

I don't care if the market dies TBH. I've got nothing in it but my 401ks that probably won't be there when I need them anyway (they'll be robbed to support Social Security or the markets or SOMETHING before I can access them).

The world can go down for all I care, it's why I bought a bunker on a hill in the middle of nowhere.
My theory is this will push a LOT of people into crypto/decentralized markets.

Also, one thing no one asks themselves. When these old rich fucks die, most millennials who are on the GME side of this won’t be putting their confidence in the market... they’ll be doing shit like crypto, and other new shit.

Instead of fucking with us, play the game right for the benefit of all. Otherwise it’ll just be some fucking 10 person game of helicopter yacht tag. The market as it is will cease to exist.
razr390

Acid666 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:41 am
razr390 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:36 am

Yeah brah, he's the man
Yep. Been following him for a while. Since he was sub 100k
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:42 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:37 am

Also, one thing no one asks themselves. When these old rich fucks die, most millennials who are on the GME side of this won’t be putting their confidence in the market... they’ll be doing shit like crypto, and other new shit.

Instead of fucking with us, play the game right for the benefit of all. Otherwise it’ll just be some fucking 10 person game of helicopter yacht tag. The market as it is will cease to exist.
Maybe?

The issue I have with crypto is it's backed by nothing. It's literally 100% digital computer shit. The only thing giving it value is other people giving it value. But I feel the same way about precious metals...gold would be worthless if everyone agreed it was. I actually believe more in water and farming...life necessities than things that don't do anything other than gain value because people say so.

The stock market USED to be founded in something that made sense. A company made good decisions, made good money, you had the opportunity to buy into that and reap some of the benefits as an owner. Now nothing makes sense anymore due to extreme gaming. Shorting being the worst of them all IMO. GME really should be worth nothing, it's fundamentals are garbage. But Tesla fundamentals are garbage and it's the most valuable car company on the planet. At least Tesla has :impressive: innovation that somewhat substantiates the stock. GME is a dead business model.

I'm just hoping that this is some sort of turning point toward more logical market behavior. The absurdity of GME has exposed how nonsensical the market is right now.
razr390

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:50 am
razr390 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:42 am

Maybe?

The issue I have with crypto is it's backed by nothing. It's literally 100% digital computer shit. The only thing giving it value is other people giving it value. But I feel the same way about precious metals...gold would be worthless if everyone agreed it was. I actually believe more in water and farming...life necessities than things that don't do anything other than gain value because people say so.

The stock market USED to be founded in something that made sense. A company made good decisions, made good money, you had the opportunity to buy into that and reap some of the benefits as an owner. Now nothing makes sense anymore due to extreme gaming. Shorting being the worst of them all IMO. GME really should be worth nothing, it's fundamentals are garbage. But Tesla fundamentals are garbage and it's the most valuable car company on the planet. At least Tesla has :impressive: innovation that somewhat substantiates the stock. GME is a dead business model.

I'm just hoping that this is some sort of turning point toward more logical market behavior. The absurdity of GME has exposed how nonsensical the market is right now.
Read this thread on twitter. This gives insight on GME even before this craziness. GME actually had good financials even though its business model was dying.
razr390

Thread. Tweets go in order, 2 at a time.

razr390

LOL

ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:53 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:50 am
Maybe?

Read this thread on twitter. This gives insight on GME even before this craziness. GME actually had good financials even though its business model was dying.
Ehhhhhhhhh, let's take a SUPER HIGH LEVEL 5 minute glance...

In 2019, it actually did make decent sense. Cash on hand 1.6B, 8,2B in revenue, yet lost 673M. But it hasn't made money since 2017, so...risky.

Then in 2020, it lost 1.13M in cash, closing with 499M. It's that's not the definition of hemorrhaging cash, I don't know what is. Video game sales went insane during the panedmic...I still can't find a Nintendo switch...so a company that specializes in selling video games should be making money hand over fist.

But, it's a dying business model. Every time I drive by a store there's just one sad employee standing there alone. And let's not forget all the negative publicity around how it handled the virus...not closing stores, forcing employees in the store, etc. GME is hardly a "good company". The only thing special is the reckless short positions by hedge funds...and THAT'S what needs to be punished.
Last edited by ChrisoftheNorth on Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

razr390 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:01 am LOL

:amaze:
razr390

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:07 am
razr390 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:53 am

In 2019, it actually did make decent sense. Cash on hand 1.6B, 8,2B in revenue, yet lost 673M. But it hasn't made money since 2017, so...risky.

[imghttps://i.postimg.cc/MptFsDqD/Annotation-2021-01-29-110359.jpg[/img]

Then in 2020, it lost 1.13M in cash, closing with 499M. It's that's not the definition of hemorrhaging cash, I don't know what is. Video game sales went insane during the panedmic...I still can't find a Nintendo switch...so a company that specializes in selling video games should be making money hand over fist.

But, it's a dying business model. Every time I drive by a store there's just one sad employee standing there alone. And let's not forget all the negative publicity around how it handled the virus...not closing stores, forcing employees in the store, etc. GME is hardly a "good company". The only thing special is the reckless short positions by hedge funds...and THAT'S what needs to be punished.
What I find most :impressive: in this whole deal is that DeepFuckingValue is STILL holding. His portfolio shares have not gone down... before trading was paused yesterday, his GME was at $47M.... from a $117k initial in 2019...

:mindblown:
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:01 am LOL

:yeahok:
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:09 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:07 am

[imghttps://i.postimg.cc/MptFsDqD/Annotation-2021-01-29-110359.jpg[/img]

What I find most :impressive: in this whole deal is that DeepFuckingValue is STILL holding. His portfolio shares have not gone down... before trading was paused yesterday, his GME was at $47M.... from a $117k initial in 2019...

He saw the squeeze opportunity and that's his end game. It's not at that point yet.

Will be legendary if it happens, but I think .gov or some sort of external intervention will take place first.
razr390

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:12 am
razr390 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:09 am

He saw the squeeze opportunity and that's his end game. It's not at that point yet.

Will be legendary if it happens, but I think .gov or some sort of external intervention will take place first.
Whatever happens, this will be in the history books. And, I don't think DeepFuckingValue even GIVES A SHIT about losing GME. He had 117k to throw at GME in 2019, I think first off he is financially stable/well off.

But, even if he loses his entire ass on it, he will get movie deals, book deals, and consulting opportunities to find the next GME, market analysis etc.

Smart dude, good for him and more power to everything he does.
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:14 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:12 am

Whatever happens, this will be in the history books. And, I don't think DeepFuckingValue even GIVES A SHIT about losing GME. He had 117k to throw at GME in 2019, I think first off he is financially stable/well off.

But, even if he loses his entire ass on it, he will get movie deals, book deals, and consulting opportunities to find the next GME, market analysis etc.

Smart dude, good for him and more power to everything he does.
I think it's entirely luck for this dude. In 2019, he saw a company with a lot of cash on hand that was undervalued (which was rare in 2019). It just so happened that he discovered the unprecedented short positions and doubled down on hope of this squeeze opportunity by telling others to bet with him. It hit, he exercised some call options so he's sitting on 8 figures right now. He's good and doesn't care what happens from here on out.

This is gambling, and he already won the jackpot. People using him as a canary to sell isn't going to end well for them, he may never sell since he's already made so much.

There is no "next GME". There is only GME. Blowing money on AMC and BB and whatnot is just dumb.
ChrisoftheNorth

That's the win, right there.
ChrisoftheNorth

GME crazy stable today. Another tactic I suspect. Wild to follow.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:54 am GME crazy stable today. Another tactic I suspect. Wild to follow.
Over 27mill trades... crazy
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:48 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:54 am GME crazy stable today. Another tactic I suspect. Wild to follow.
Over 27mill trades... crazy
And the price is barely moving...