Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Tarspin wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:22 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:00 pm The worst here is the people who pass really close by and floor it right as they are beside me, almost always a V8 full size :truk: :truckyeah:
You mean like this?

Pretty much a typical Southeastern :truk: driver towards any cyclist.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Anyone running newer sram brakes? What are you using to bleed them? Looks like sram has a special tool(Bleeding Edgetm!!!)they want you to buy. I would prefer not to spend money on a "uni-task" tool.

I was able to do my shimano brakes on my cannondale with some aquarium hose and a syringe. Looking to see if there is a similar bodge for sram.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

So I bought my bike used. It's a 2019 model purchased in April of 2020. Got it from a guy who rode a lot with little maintenance. A lot of sand everywhere. Replaced the rear XC leaning tire with a more aggressive one(although I'm learning I might need to put the more aggressive tire on the front?) Removed and cleaned up the dropper and seals last week. Degreased and cleaned the cassette and chain as much as possible without removing it. I do plan on removing the bb and cassette once I do a little more reading on how.

Bought a rear shock rebuild kit and will be doing that this weekend. I am taking the front fork off to remove some scratched up decals and replace them with some fresh ones I got online. While that's off, I'll clean the headset and inspect.

Not sure I want to tackle the front fork service myself just yet. I want to see what the LBS charges to do it first.

Most important mod, I bought a purple Fox rear shock decal that my daughter picked out and so I'll be swapping that out too.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:33 pm So I bought my bike used. It's a 2019 model purchased in April of 2020. Got it from a guy who rode a lot with little maintenance. A lot of sand everywhere. Replaced the rear XC leaning tire with a more aggressive one(although I'm learning I might need to put the more aggressive tire on the front?) Removed and cleaned up the dropper and seals last week. Degreased and cleaned the cassette and chain as much as possible without removing it. I do plan on removing the bb and cassette once I do a little more reading on how.

Bought a rear shock rebuild kit and will be doing that this weekend. I am taking the front fork off to remove some scratched up decals and replace them with some fresh ones I got online. While that's off, I'll clean the headset and inspect.

Not sure I want to tackle the front fork service myself just yet. I want to see what the LBS charges to do it first.

Most important mod, I bought a purple Fox rear shock decal that my daughter picked out and so I'll be swapping that out too.
:jimp:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:40 am
KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:33 pm Most important mod, I bought a purple Fox rear shock decal that my daughter picked out and so I'll be swapping that out too.
:mahtroy:

In terms of tires, you want the faster rolling tire in the front, but make sure it's got decent knobs for cornering grip on the outer edges.

What tire combo do you have now, and what are you planning on running?
It has a forekaster on the front that has some life left and I put a new minion dhr on the back. Aggressor was the plan up front. Definitely came into it thinking the faster tire should be up front.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:43 am
KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:27 pm Anyone running newer sram brakes? What are you using to bleed them? Looks like sram has a special tool(Bleeding Edgetm!!!)they want you to buy. I would prefer not to spend money on a "uni-task" tool.

I was able to do my shimano brakes on my cannondale with some aquarium hose and a syringe. Looking to see if there is a similar bodge for sram.
I think most of us avoid SRAM brakes because they're 1) finicky, 2) prone to issues, and 3) use DOT fluid instead of Shimano's mineral fluid.

I'd just buy the kit, DOT fluid needs to be bled more often anyway, and having the right tools makes a big difference. Plus, then you can charge any friends who need their brakes bled, too.
Previous owner switched the shimanos that came standard out with the code r. They stop well but yeah I definitely prefer the user friendly shimanos.

I put the same mineral oil that I use on my butcher block into my shimanos. Good enough for what I do.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:19 am
KYGTIGuy wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:15 am

Previous owner switched the shimanos that came standard out with the code r. They stop well but yeah I definitely prefer the user friendly shimanos.

I put the same mineral oil that I use on my butcher block into my shimanos. Good enough for what I do.
Or, plan B: Screw getting the SRAM bleed kit and just buy a set of Shimano SLX brakes and be done.
And have mismatched components?

:howdareu: :fancy:
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:26 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:33 pm So I bought my bike used. It's a 2019 model purchased in April of 2020. Got it from a guy who rode a lot with little maintenance. A lot of sand everywhere. Replaced the rear XC leaning tire with a more aggressive one(although I'm learning I might need to put the more aggressive tire on the front?) Removed and cleaned up the dropper and seals last week. Degreased and cleaned the cassette and chain as much as possible without removing it. I do plan on removing the bb and cassette once I do a little more reading on how.

:jimp:
I knew you guys would be jealous

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Anything new in the bike world?

I need to take a day or two off, knees are hurting a bit and legs are sore... I'm loving the new bike :doe:

Looking forward to warmer weather when I can go out earlier in the AM again, the best thing with my work schedule is leaving house by 7 AM to get a nice longer ride in.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:42 am Anything new in the bike world?

I need to take a day or two off, knees are hurting a bit and legs are sore... I'm loving the new bike :doe:

Looking forward to warmer weather when I can go out earlier in the AM again, the best thing with my work schedule is leaving house by 7 AM to get a nice longer ride in.
At least you can ride...we're getting 3-5" of snow today.

Wife is gone next week, so I'm going to head into the local bike shops to talk about what options I have to get back into MTB...especially if I can ride on the snow.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:34 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:42 am Anything new in the bike world?

Wife is gone next week, so I'm going to head into the local bike shops to talk about what options I have to get back into MTB...especially if I can ride on the snow.
:popcorn:

It is actually pretty decent here in the afternoons... just sort of dicey trying to get away from work... I feel like getting ready to go out for a ride takes a solid 15-20 minutes so I'm always pushing the boundaries of being away from my computer.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:09 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:34 pm

It is actually pretty decent here in the afternoons... just sort of dicey trying to get away from work... I feel like getting ready to go out for a ride takes a solid 15-20 minutes so I'm always pushing the boundaries of being away from my computer.
Yea, I usually don't leave my computer for more than an hour. I can diffuse "urgent" matters enough with my phone, but to be unreachable for longer then 20 minutes at a time is pushing it IMO.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:13 pm

Yea, I usually don't leave my computer for more than an hour. I can diffuse "urgent" matters enough with my phone, but to be unreachable for longer then 20 minutes at a time is pushing it IMO.
"Chris is away from his desk being a trouser pilot, he will return at the end of his selected video."
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

My job is pretty chill about this stuff, I could take a 90 minute lunch or whatever some days, it's flexible. But my ideal is to take 2-3 hours to ride my bike starting at 2 PM or so... this isn't easy to pull off, even if I make up the time in the evening hours or whatever.

:ohwell:

It'll be warm again soon and I do have my mornings thanks to doing West Coast shit.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:33 pm
"Chris is away from his desk being a trouser pilot, he will return at the end of his selected video."
:notbad:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:39 pm
My job is pretty chill about this stuff, I could take a 90 minute lunch or whatever some days, it's flexible. But my ideal is to take 2-3 hours to ride my bike starting at 2 PM or so... this isn't easy to pull off, even if I make up the time in the evening hours or whatever.

:ohwell:

It'll be warm again soon and I do have my mornings thanks to doing West Coast shit.
Yep, anything around lunch time is pretty fair game for me too. But I tend to be busiest in the middle of the afternoon, making those 2pm adventures tough unless the afternoon stays completely clear.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Just got our registration code for the Peloton. :excited: Might actually show up this time! Delivery is scheduled for Monday.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:43 am Just got our registration code for the Peloton. :excited: Might actually show up this time! Delivery is scheduled for Monday.
:nice:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I went out and did about 17 miles of trails on the MTB this morning, it was pretty fun. My favorite trail system is still closed even though it hasn't rained in about a week now. I think maybe they are doing some maintenance, it is a private park/place so they run it a bit differently.

I think I am getting a bit faster... although my bike just feels kinda meh now. Lots of noises I can't really track down, the rear shifting is still shit after dicking with it for two hours recently. :ohwell:

Maybe I should try new cables.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:51 pm
coogles wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:43 am Just got our registration code for the Peloton. :excited: Might actually show up this time! Delivery is scheduled for Monday.
Man, what a wait you've had to endure.

I did a 45 min endurance ride this morning on the Peloton, 5/7.
No lie. We ordered it in mid September.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Strongly considering doing a thing. For awhile I’ve thought the Trance in medium is too small, plus I don’t need 140mm of travel and the geometry is a bit off from the newer bikes as well. The more slack seat tube angle and shorter reach both have their downsides, especially on a bike that’s probably already on the small side. The new Ripley AF looks fucking awesome and, for the Deore build, would only cost me about $1,000 to move into after trading in the Trance. Would be quite a bit heavier, but should still be markedly faster given the snappier pedaling platform of the DW link.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:50 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:12 pm I went out and did about 17 miles of trails on the MTB this morning, it was pretty fun. My favorite trail system is still closed even though it hasn't rained in about a week now. I think maybe they are doing some maintenance, it is a private park/place so they run it a bit differently.

I think I am getting a bit faster... although my bike just feels kinda meh now. Lots of noises I can't really track down, the rear shifting is still shit after dicking with it for two hours recently. :ohwell:

Maybe I should try new cables.
What kind of noises, exactly?
There is this rubbing in the back. It sounds like a bent rotor rubbing on each revolution as the wheel turns but it isn't that... :notsure: what it is.

And some klickety klckety from a not great rear mech setup. I will work on that again and should be able to get it right.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:01 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:44 pm

There is this rubbing in the back. It sounds like a bent rotor rubbing on each revolution as the wheel turns but it isn't that... :notsure: what it is.

And some klickety klckety from a not great rear mech setup. I will work on that again and should be able to get it right.
Could be rear hub/bearing. Noise is present when pedaling or coasting, and doesn’t change when the brakes are applied?

As to the rear derailleur, sounds like it just needs a tune.
Rear hub could make sense, I hear it with/without pedaling, brakes have no impact.

I already spent a couple hours messing with the derailleur, seem to be pulling a Dustin with it. I'm sure I'll get it right at some point.

The brakes are working great at least.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

coogles wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:36 pm Strongly considering doing a thing. For awhile I’ve thought the Trance in medium is too small, plus I don’t need 140mm of travel and the geometry is a bit off from the newer bikes as well. The more slack seat tube angle and shorter reach both have their downsides, especially on a bike that’s probably already on the small side. The new Ripley AF looks fucking awesome and, for the Deore build, would only cost me about $1,000 to move into after trading in the Trance. Would be quite a bit heavier, but should still be markedly faster given the snappier pedaling platform of the DW link.
Killer bike. Do it. Pics too.

Seriously though, do it.