Appreciating cars... suggestions ? What's the current trend ?

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I am currently toying with the idea of purchasing an appreciating vehicle, yes It seems IMPOSSIBRU, but there are plenty of cars that are at least breaking even over the last 10 years.

Is there anything else left that hasn't gone beyond 6 figures ?

For the longest time I wanted an FJ, but it just didn't make sense because 50k buys you a bubble boy thing you can't drive without it dropping to 35 with some miles.

Any other recommendations ? I am just trying to open my mind a bit. So I didn't want to restrict this question to type of car/truck/decade etc. The only requirement is below 100k and 0 depreciation I understand that you can not fully predict it but use your best judgement.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:48 pm I am currently toying with the idea of purchasing an appreciating vehicle, yes It seems IMPOSSIBRU, but there are plenty of cars that are at least breaking even over the last 10 years.

For the longest time I wanted an FJ, but it just didn't make sense because 50k buys you a bubble boy thing you can't drive without it dropping to 35 with some miles.

Any other recommendations ? I am just trying to open my mind a bit. So I didn't want to restrict this question to type of car/truck/decade etc. The only requirement is below 100k and 0 depreciation I understand that you can not fully predict it but use your best judgement.
This is a fun topic of discussion.

I would personally wait until post-COVID... vehicle pricing right now is just stupid. I think that in a year's time, people will be back to spending more money/time on going out, travel, etc. and the demand will drop, some people will want to offload their COVID car, bike, boat, RV, etc. purchases.

That said... I would go with something JDM. Some of the imported stuff is surprisingly reasonable on price (R32/33 Skyline, RX7) and I think these will continue to climb.

If I had that budget, I think I'd grab an NSX from the early 2000s. It is an amazing car you could enjoy owning and driving, they're reliable and could actually be driven around a decent bit and retain/grow in value.

S2000 is also one that is pretty cheap/still sitting at the bottom, as is the E90 M3.
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:00 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:48 pm I am currently toying with the idea of purchasing an appreciating vehicle, yes It seems IMPOSSIBRU, but there are plenty of cars that are at least breaking even over the last 10 years.

I would personally wait until post-COVID... vehicle pricing right now is just stupid. I think that in a year's time, people will be back to spending more money/time on going out, travel, etc. and the demand will drop, some people will want to offload their COVID car, bike, boat, RV, etc. purchases.

That said... I would go with something JDM. Some of the imported stuff is surprisingly reasonable on price (R32/33 Skyline, RX7) and I think these will continue to climb.

If I had that budget, I think I'd grab an NSX from the early 2000s. It is an amazing car you could enjoy owning and driving, they're reliable and could actually be driven around a decent bit and retain/grow in value.

S2000 is also one that is pretty cheap/still sitting at the bottom, as is the E90 M3.
Interesting:
1. NSX- I certainly considered it before, but it is seemingly @ it's peak. The new ones cost almost as much as the old. I wonder if the new has staying power.
2. S2000- I don't fit :(
3. E90 - :nope: I did this 5 years ago with an E46, and I HATED IT. I swore off older M cars because they are not built to last period, and will nickel and dime you till the end.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:04 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:00 pm

Interesting:
1. NSX- I certainly considered it before, but it is seemingly @ it's peak. The new ones cost almost as much as the old. I wonder if the new has staying power.
3. E90 - :nope: I did this 5 years ago with an E46, and I HATED IT. I swore off older M cars because they are not built to last period, and will nickel and dime you till the end.
I think NSX will just keep climbing until people our age start shitting the bed... that said, they are bolstered by COVID like everything else. They are rare and nothing like that will ever exist again. A new NSX will just depreciate for at least 15 years.

Audi R8 :manuel: could be an interesting one, I think they may be bottomed out?

I would stay away from all of the :waxer: old :truk: shit, I think that is the next bubble to burst.

911s are cool, but man, they are already up there. Maybe a 997.2 or a 987.2 Cayman?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Dodge Demon. 392 Wrangler. Certain muscle cars. Certain Ferraris.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

NSX
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Block C2 Corvettes
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:18 pm late 80s/90s stuff is on the rise. Broncos, Japanese legends, Radwood-era cars, clean 90s fullsize pickups.
:dat: is a good idea. They can still be had for decent-ish prices. Broncos are already $$$.

I wouldn't mind DDing a SCSB :manuel: V8 90s F150 or Silverado, but it's likely tough to find a clean example.
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:16 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:04 pm

Interesting:
I think NSX will just keep climbing until people our age start shitting the bed... that said, they are bolstered by COVID like everything else. They are rare and nothing like that will ever exist again. A new NSX will just depreciate for at least 15 years.

Audi R8 :manuel: could be an interesting one, I think they may be bottomed out?

I would stay away from all of the :waxer: old :truk: shit, I think that is the next bubble to burst.

911s are cool, but man, they are already up there. Maybe a 997.2 or a 987.2 Cayman?
:manuel: R8 was in fact on my short list for a bit. But that's the same engine that eats the timing chain guides and carbon fouls correct?
997.2 HMMMM Do we think they bottomed out?
I feel like most P cars are in a bubble because the rich are certainly getting richer and selling them to the less rich, but still rich who are propping the prices up a bit.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:19 pm

1. Demons are 150k.
2. Not sure about wrangler... I doubt it'll stay at 80k or whatever it'll sell for
3. Which muscle cars?
4. Which Raris ?
max225

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:18 pm late 80s/90s stuff is on the rise. Broncos, Japanese legends, Radwood-era cars, clean 90s fullsize pickups.
What is a redwood era car?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:28 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:19 pm

1. Demons are 150k.
2. Not sure about wrangler... I doubt it'll stay at 80k or whatever it'll sell for
3. Which muscle cars? Numbers matching stuff. 442s, Big Block Chevelles, 67-69 Camaros, Ugly square Mopar shit with 440 six pack or Hemi power.
4. Which Raris ? 328, Testarossa
I love Mecum auctions, mostly for the table scraps. Yes, all the big dick bidders go crazy on super rare stuff or crazy resto-mod work, but have no interest when euro trash or JDM classics cross the block.
max225

Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Manual Chevy SS sedans have been practically immune to depreciation.

Stuff from the 80s and 90s is on the upswing, which is why clean 3rd Gen F-Bodies are now $10-$15k when they were $5k 15 years ago. Depending on how long you plan on holding onto the vehicle, scooping up something clean from the early 2000s could be a good buy, since that stuff will start to appreciate as we are getting close to the 25 year mark and clean versions should be hitting the valley of their prices right now, GM LS vehicles excluded. I know the manual SSRs have held their value because they were for one year with the LS2 instead of the 5.3. The SRT-10 Rams have gone up recently, too.

I'd probably look at finding a clean, low mileage Mazdaspeed 6 or Legacy GT. Most have been beat to piss, so the clean versions should go up in value. You could also try hunting for one of the 30 Solstice GXP coupes that were made.
max225

Huckleberry wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:59 pm Manual Chevy SS sedans have been practically immune to depreciation.

Stuff from the 80s and 90s is on the upswing, which is why clean 3rd Gen F-Bodies are now $10-$15k when they were $5k 15 years ago. Depending on how long you plan on holding onto the vehicle, scooping up something clean from the early 2000s could be a good buy, since that stuff will start to appreciate as we are getting close to the 25 year mark and clean versions should be hitting the valley of their prices right now, GM LS vehicles excluded. I know the manual SSRs have held their value because they were for one year with the LS2 instead of the 5.3. The SRT-10 Rams have gone up recently, too.

I'd probably look at finding a clean, low mileage Mazdaspeed 6 or Legacy GT. Most have been beat to piss, so the clean versions should go up in value. You could also try hunting for one of the 30 Solstice GXP coupes that were made.
3rd gen F bodies are a good call
SRT Rams are certainly also a good call
Manual SSRs also

I fail to see how any of those will depreciate unless MAJOR miles are piled on.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Porsche 911
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Huckleberry wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:59 pm Manual Chevy SS sedans have been practically immune to depreciation.

These are good call outs. A lot of the stuff being discussed here is currently sky high. Muscle cars? RUN. They've gone up and up and those who care are dying of the 'VID. 911s? :iono: at a certain point, people will be tired of paying six figures for a 100 hp Beetle. I don't think 911s will drop, they are cool cars. But will they beat inflation? Doubt it. Same for the :truk: craze. It's impossible to predict the bottom/top of a market, but buying something as an investment that has been climbing for years seems somewhat foolish.

Cult classic early 2000s stuff that didn't have large production should be due to rise.

How about a clean RSX Type-S? Mitsubishi 3000GT? 300ZX? Mazdaspeed anything. Cool BMWs (like the E90).

What else exists that will never be done again? Manual SS, Lotus Elise, etc.

I'm not as well versed in the high end stuff, hence why I'm mostly listing poverty stuff, but poverty stuff will also yield highest percentage gain.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Boss 302, Mustang GT350, any super cool/unique Mustangs/Camaros.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Did they make these in the rare 5 door body style? Would be a :neat: choice if they did.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:01 pm
wap wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:00 pm
Did they make these in the rare 5 door body style? Would be a :neat: choice if they did.
Nein.
:(
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

R53 JCW. Low mileage one

Ferrari 328 and '94 348

Clean low miles rsx-s or civic Si

Possibly manual mr-s.

Anything from the late 80's to mid 20's that was just out of reach at the time for teens and people in their 20's. As that group ages and gets disposable income they are spending it on cars they wanted growing up.

LHD imports of JDM or euro cars from the 90s or early 2000's. If you want one as an investment buy one or import one into Canada and leave it up there for 10 years until you can bring it here.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Also low mileage examples of non enthusiast cars your parents or grand parents would have owned in the 90's.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

wap wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:04 pm
[user not found] wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:01 pm

Nein.
:(
Yeah, unfortunately not. I took one for a test drive when they were new, and damn was it fun.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:58 pm Also, you're going to want to try to find stuff that's at the near bottom of the depreciation curve.

My R53 is a great example. As clean documented examples become hard to find, it'll appreciate more. It's a unique car with a unique engine with a binder of paperwork and a good story behind it.
:dillerman:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Broadly I think the cars that fall into this category are new enough to not drive like they're old (probably at least late 80s, like an E30), but are also old enough to still be engaging, and all of them have 3 pedals. TONS of stuff fits into this category, and although I do think values might be slightly inflated at the moment, the industry largely isn't building more cars that fit that description, so until all of the auto enthusiasts are dead, these kinds of cars aren't getting cheaper. You could probably find a car to fit every dollar range from $5k-$100k, though, so it totally depends on what you're looking for.