Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:01 pm That thing is hideous. (ID3)
:dat:

I agree with TK, the Honda thing is way cooler/better looking... I don't think it's coming to the USA though.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

coogles wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:21 am The digi-dash is fucking gross. And cheap-looking.

What has more visual interest, a Rolex or an Apple watch? The Rolex has the same qualities now as it will 100 years from now, but that Apple watch could be programmed by Apple, by Google, by fucking Fisher-Price and no one would know the difference looking at it on someone else's wrist, and a year from now there will be a new one out and everyone will be ready to ditch last year's model. Every car is designed in a wind tunnel to look exactly the same, every new car has screens everywhere and are starting to look exactly the same. You can't even build quality into button feel anymore with capacitive bullshit everywhere. I might as well ride around in a golf cart with an iPad my face, it'd be the same experience.
Agreed on many counts here. I am not a fan of cost-cutting cheap tech. I can say that I’ll appreciate a super modular digi dash, but most of the cheap ones look like ass and they are basically the same one across different OEMs with just different design programming.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

The ID4 is the better one. Looks like an actual CUV.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/21/2139 ... on-germany

Last edited by razr390 on Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:04 pm
:dat:

I agree with TK, the Honda thing is way cooler/better looking... I don't think it's coming to the USA though.
I think it should :doe: we already gotten the tiny insight and CRZ, but of course they did poorly in sales.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:05 pm
The ID4 is the better one. Looks like an actual CUV.
Kinda reminds me of City Golf, similar to Renault Scenic or Mercedes B class, so in that segment as far as look shape goes. A CUV driver height with a normal car ride height.

Like this
https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-revie ... 18-review/
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

ID3 and ID4 are both hideous to me, because they look exactly like every CUV hatchback out there.

ID3 is better looking to me actually but :whocares: these cars are not about style. You want style you get a Porsche or Aston Martin. These are peasant vehicles for puking children.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

ID3 looks like an uglier Citroen C3, which is already ugly.

MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:13 pm ID3 and ID4 are both hideous to me, because they look exactly like every CUV hatchback out there.

ID3 is better looking to me actually but :whocares: these cars are not about style. You want style you get a Porsche or Aston Martin. These are peasant vehicles for puking children.
:notwrong:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Vehicle design is going to shit for the sake of aerodynamics and EV range. :disgust:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:13 pm ID3 and ID4 are both hideous to me, because they look exactly like every CUV hatchback out there.

:iono: I feel like regular people shouldn't have to drive hideous cars. Sure, a GTI has never been an Aston, but in the past they at least have always looked clean and somewhat elegant, never :disgust:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:26 pm

:iono: I feel like regular people shouldn't have to drive hideous cars. Sure, a GTI has never been an Aston, but in the past they at least have always looked clean and somewhat elegant, never :disgust:
There's just not much of a choice.

People want an upright/high seating position, in a vehicle that has the utility of an SUV but gets solid driving range and efficiency. Pretty much stuck with that one jellybean shape.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:17 pm ID3 looks like an uglier Citroen C3, which is already ugly.

3 layers of headlights :disgust:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:29 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:26 pm

People want an upright/high seating position, in a vehicle that has the utility of an SUV but gets solid driving range and efficiency. Pretty much stuck with that one jellybean shape.
:notwrong: but it doesn't have to be that way. Things like the 86, Mustang, :jeep: , Corvette, Challenger, Mazda3, even Corolla hatch look cool. If you're willing to give up a bit of practicality, it doesn't have to be :disgust:
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:01 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:29 pm

:notwrong: but it doesn't have to be that way. Things like the 86, Mustang, :jeep: , Corvette, Challenger, Mazda3, even Corolla hatch look cool. If you're willing to give up a bit of practicality, it doesn't have to be :disgust:
You can always have a new Tesla roadster for 250k

Rivian is starting to make decent looking stuff too...
Lucid apparently finished their fucktory

Electric cars are just getting started. First gasoline cars were carriages with a motor ... it will evolve over time.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:16 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:01 pm

Electric cars are just getting started. First gasoline cars were carriages with a motor ... it will evolve over time.
I'm not 100% opted in yet...

Do we have enough raw materials for batteries to replace the huge volume of ICE vehicles?

Will those materials still be affordable if demand goes up 20X?

Is electric really better for the planet? (this really depends on where you live)

I have zero interest in electric so far, we shall see what comes in the future, but I will likely be sticking with old shit as long as I can as I just like it better.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Saw a Taycan in the wild today :doe: , it was :nice:

The electric stuff in my price range? :gag:
troyguitar

D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:37 pm

Do we have enough raw materials for batteries to replace the huge volume of ICE vehicles?

Is electric really better for the planet? (this really depends on where you live)

I have zero interest in electric so far, we shall see what comes in the future, but I will likely be sticking with old shit as long as I can as I just like it better.
I'd still rather have a sporty hybrid. A small battery and small motor is plenty to make a car both more efficient and faster without adding a ton of weight/size if done right. See: Rav4 hybrid vs standard, the hybrid is better in every way.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:40 pm

I'd still rather have a sporty hybrid. A small battery and small motor is plenty to make a car both more efficient and faster without adding a ton of weight/size if done right. See: Rav4 hybrid vs standard, the hybrid is better in every way.
:notwrong: The CR-Z was a :neat: idea, too bad it didn't sell. It would be pretty sweet to see the Rav4 power train applied with a :manuel: to something like a Corolla hatch for a little rally fun hot hatch thing. Problem is, all of us would be too :scrooge: to buy it.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:03 pm
coogles wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:21 am The digi-dash is fucking gross. And cheap-looking.

What has more visual interest, a Rolex or an Apple watch? The Rolex has the same qualities now as it will 100 years from now, but that Apple watch could be programmed by Apple, by Google, by fucking Fisher-Price and no one would know the difference looking at it on someone else's wrist, and a year from now there will be a new one out and everyone will be ready to ditch last year's model. Every car is designed in a wind tunnel to look exactly the same, every new car has screens everywhere and are starting to look exactly the same. You can't even build quality into button feel anymore with capacitive bullshit everywhere. I might as well ride around in a golf cart with an iPad my face, it'd be the same experience.
:lolol: I always love your feedback on digital/touch screen shit in cars. I am in total agreeance.

I :wub: the gayges and controls in my shitty ass C5, TBH, even if the rest of the interior is still :gag:
:bow:

C5 interior has many problems, but the gayges aren't one of them. If you can fix the seats, steering wheel, and :manuel: shift knob the C5 interior improves dramatically.
max225

Humans are bad for the planet period, but we keep breeding so ... whether you’re moving mountains to mine lithium and rare earths or polluting the oceans with dead Dino’s. Pick your poison.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:57 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:40 pm

:notwrong: The CR-Z was a :neat: idea, too bad it didn't sell. It would be pretty sweet to see the Rav4 power train applied with a :manuel: to something like a Corolla hatch for a little rally fun hot hatch thing. Problem is, all of us would be too :scrooge: to buy it.
I'm OK with it being automatic at this point for something that's otherwise interesting, useful, fun, and affordable. I'm less OK with everything being a god damn SUV. I do not want to sit up high on what is effectively a bench seat.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:49 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:57 pm

I'm OK with it being automatic at this point for something that's otherwise interesting, useful, fun, and affordable. I'm less OK with everything being a god damn SUV. I do not want to sit up high on what is effectively a bench seat.
Why not ? Sometimes driving a couch is nice AF
troyguitar

max225 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:31 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:49 pm

I find it nothing but stressful to be in a giant unresponsive barge that flops my ass to and fro when I turn the wheel and I have no need to lord myself over everyone else on the road. Parking is a huge pain too.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:54 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:31 pm

I find it nothing but stressful to be in a giant unresponsive barge that flops my ass to and fro when I turn the wheel and I have no need to lord myself over everyone else on the road. Parking is a huge pain too.
As long as you’re under 80” and 240” it’s perfectly fine. Turning the wheel ? Life isn’t a race track most roads are straight af, you encounter what ? .2 Gs tops by adhering to speed limits? Not saying it’s FUN, but we share the road with garbage trucks, vehicles with trailers semis, rvs etc.

I think you’d be surprised how relaxing it is to drive a barge down the street vs something anus shattering that splits a wheel by hitting an ant. I’d seriously like to understand what is stressful about driving a large comfortable vehicle. (In most environments outside of NYC and SF)
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

max225 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:08 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:54 pm

As long as you’re under 80” and 240” it’s perfectly fine. Turning the wheel ? Life isn’t a race track most roads are straight af, you encounter what ? .2 Gs tops by adhering to speed limits? Not saying it’s FUN, but we share the road with garbage trucks, vehicles with trailers semis, rvs etc.

I think you’d be surprised how relaxing it is to drive a barge down the street vs something anus shattering that splits a wheel by hitting an ant. I’d seriously like to understand what is stressful about driving a large comfortable vehicle. (In most environments outside of NYC and SF)
All of :dat:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...