Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

[user not found] wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:31 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:51 pm :notbad:

I love that with no gears and 100 ft/mile of climbing you are still faster than me on a flat paved road.
It was a full gas effort to try to warm up. I fiddled with the bike on the side of the road for 20-30 mins until I discovered the frayed cable at the shifter, which turned me into a popsicle. All my core heat disappeared.

The shop that fixed my cables today (Rainbow Bicycles in Lewiston, 5/7, would recommend) had all of their cycling tops 50% off, so I grabbed a proper thermal long sleeve Sugoi jersey, some thermal gloves, and some better insulating shoe covers. I should be much more comfortable tomorrow.

I want redemption. I’ve got gravel to grind, hills to find.
:mahman:

I didn't have time to get my new rotor/pads on the mountain bike today due to leaf removal/work. Tomorrow I will get that going and do a road or woods ride, :notsure: which. Mountain would be fun as it's been a long time.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:51 pm :notbad:

I love that with no gears and 100 ft/mile of climbing you are still faster than me on a flat paved road.
It was a full gas effort to try to warm up. I fiddled with the bike on the side of the road for 20-30 mins until I discovered the frayed cable at the shifter, which turned me into a popsicle. All my core heat disappeared.

The shop that fixed my cables today (Rainbow Bicycles in Lewiston, 5/7, would recommend) had all of their cycling tops 50% off, so I grabbed a proper thermal long sleeve Sugoi jersey, some thermal gloves, and some better insulating shoe covers. I should be much more comfortable tomorrow.

I want redemption. I’ve got gravel to grind, hills to find.
In any case it's :impressive:

I have yet to get past 17 mph even in a full 180+ bpm effort on smooth flat pavement, total "sprint" for ~10 miles... :turtle:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Sounds like an amazing ride! I would’ve already been off the bike on those sections of I wasn’t on a mountain bike :lolol: :impressive:

How did you target the KOM? Just check a bunch of leaderboards while building the route?

Love the pics!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I crossed over 3k miles for the year yesterday, which was cool. Didn’t take pics, but it was a great day, high at almost 70F, first ride in a while where I could go out in just shorts and a jersey. I did a few hill repeats over along the river and it was just beautiful with sunshine, the last remaining fall colors, and water views.

I ended with a nice little nail, a mile from my house and sort of a rough area so I just walked home rather than put in my spare tube, I think I’ll just patch the tire and replace the tube, hopefully that will be fine. Would y’all replace this tire? Something like 2800 miles on these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
troyguitar

So I took 3 full days off the bike, ate like a normal person, and got back on today. I gained 3 lbs and 3/4" on my waist, and got about another 20% weaker.

In July, a 150 bpm effort was 200 watts.

By last week, it was down to 160 watts.

Today it's down to 130. I'm now weaker than I was when I first got a bike, after 7 years of zero exercise whatsoever.

But look at the bright side, at least I wasted thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours working hard for nothing?
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Sounds like your power meter is broken.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

troyguitar wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:26 pm So I took 3 full days off the bike, ate like a normal person, and got back on today. I gained 3 lbs and 3/4" on my waist, and got about another 20% weaker.

Today it's down to 130. I'm now weaker than I was when I first got a bike, after 7 years of zero exercise whatsoever.

But look at the bright side, at least I wasted thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours working hard for nothing?
If your power meter isn't actually broken/miscalibrated, your performance on the bike is the symptom, not the cause.

Until you start getting some real sleep and reign in what sounds like an excessive drinking habit, you will never have the physique you want or the athletic performance you're working for. 1 step forward, 2 or 3 steps back.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:32 pm
troyguitar wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:26 pm So I took 3 full days off the bike, ate like a normal person, and got back on today. I gained 3 lbs and 3/4" on my waist, and got about another 20% weaker.

Go ride more hills and do some intervals workouts.

You need an actual training plan at this point. Time for some sufferfest.
:dat:

I lifted for YEARS with shit results, spent hours every week on it, always wondered why certain people got so much more strong/jacked with seemingly the same effort. Well, turns out if you actually have a plan it works better. I started doing 5X5, then 531 and got way stronger, especially after starting to track calories/macros.

I think I've had accelerated improvement with cycling because I have done a bunch of cross training with running, lifting, and mountain biking. The body needs variety in training, this has been proven time and time again.

You said yourself that you prefer to go out and ride 150 BPM on the flats as much as possible. There is nothing wrong with this approach, still great exercise and can be fun, but you will certainly plateau with that style of "training". You can either choose to be happy where you are, given you can ride long distances, you are already a good rider. Or, you can put in the effort to do the things you don't love to improve.

You could never become a great guitar player by choosing only one song and playing it over and over and over, even if it was a difficult song.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I finally got the brakes squared away on the Orbea, cleaned up all of the components, and went out and had a wonderful trail ride this morning. It was perfect fall weather/conditions, 50ish degrees, sunny, great colors, nice empty trails. I forgot how fun mountain biking can be! The leaves were a little slick at points, but overall 5/7 outing, I may just go again tomorrow.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar

I would have been fine with a plateau. I'm instead getting weaker and weaker and weaker with every passing moment.

So you guys that appear to just ride for fun are actually doing some structured training program that you don't talk about?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:12 pm I would have been fine with a plateau. I'm instead getting weaker and weaker and weaker with every passing moment.

So you guys that appear to just ride for fun are actually doing some structured training program that you don't talk about?
No, but I do a lot of cross training as previously mentioned and work out a lot more than you. I also eat better, drink less, and sleep more.

[user not found], who is clearly the best here, constantly cross trains with Peloton sessions and shit, so yes, I would say he does do structured training. I doubt the Peloton classes are done "for fun".

All of that being said, I seem to have plateau in speed at this point. The only way to get faster from here for me is buy more expensive shit and/or do some smarter training.
troyguitar

coogles wrote:...your performance on the bike is the symptom, not the cause.

Until you start getting some real sleep...
This is almost certainly the whole problem. I'm just venting here anymore, not looking for answers.

You guys share your experiences, I share mine. Sorry mine are largely negative.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

[user not found] wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:41 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:12 pm I would have been fine with a plateau. I'm instead getting weaker and weaker and weaker with every passing moment.

No, I just know my body at this point and know what I need to do to get faster. I do interval workouts during the week via Peloton, ride big on weekends, and throw in the occasional weekday ride for extra miles/effort when the weather/daylight permits. I also track my efforts via Strava and loosely adhere to a “3 on, 1 off” training schedule. 3 weeks of gradual increases in intensity followed by one week that’s easy/low intensity.

I also allow my body time to recover between efforts, eat properly most of the time, and don’t drink in excess.
Three week blocks like that are great. Used in a lot of powerlifting programs.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:00 pm
coogles wrote:...your performance on the bike is the symptom, not the cause.

Until you start getting some real sleep...
This is almost certainly the whole problem. I'm just venting here anymore, not looking for answers.

You guys share your experiences, I share mine. Sorry mine are largely negative.
Venting is good man, carry on. I think you're likely right that the sleep is the number one issue. I have dealt with some light insomnia in the past, it blows. I still think weed is a decent thing to consider, it will definitely help you sleep, it's cheaper/healthier than booze too. Not ideal, but may be worth trying.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

So, what is the difference between front disk brakes versus front fork/frame mounted brakes?
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

razr390 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:12 am So, what is the difference between front disk brakes versus front fork/frame mounted brakes?
Disc brakes generally are a lot better, particularly hydraulic (no cable, fluid in the lines rather than pulling a cable). Rim brakes are terrible in the rain as the rims get wet and you have almost zero stopping powah.

Nice weather riding on the road, rim brakes are fine, no issue saving the few bucks. If you're going to ride trails or in inclement weather, definitely try to get discs.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Disc brake cons:

More expensive
Can be slightly heavier

Disc Brake Pros:
Better stopping power and modulation
Less impacted by weather/wetness
Easier to adjust/lower maintenance
Look cooler
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Nice dude! I got in three mountain bike rides this week and one on the road, it was nice to get back out on the trails again.

I think the wife and I may ride the Virginia Creeper Trail tomorrow.
troyguitar

Ugh, went out on my first real ride in 2 weeks after taking a ton of time to rest and (over)eat... I'm no warmer and no stronger.

150 bpm == roughly 150 watts

50 degrees F and dry+sunny == WAY TOO FUCKING COLD

I froze my ass off, did not sweat a single drop. My thermal compression shirt was literally bone dry after 2 hours at 150 bpm. Apparently I need to dress for 50F like other people dress for 30F... which would be fine if 50F weren't unseasonably warm for 6 months of the fucking year here. I don't know what else to do besides either spend literally thousands of dollars on arctic XC skiing gear or never leave my fucking apartment for the next 6 months. Fuck this fucking place. :eeyore:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:35 pm Ugh, went out on my first real ride in 2 weeks after taking a ton of time to rest and (over)eat... I'm no warmer and no stronger.

150 bpm == roughly 150 watts

50 degrees F and dry+sunny == WAY TOO FUCKING COLD

I froze my ass off, did not sweat a single drop. My thermal compression shirt was literally bone dry after 2 hours at 150 bpm. Apparently I need to dress for 50F like other people dress for 30F... which would be fine if 50F weren't unseasonably warm for 6 months of the fucking year here. I don't know what else to do besides either spend literally thousands of dollars on arctic XC skiing gear or never leave my fucking apartment for the next 6 months. Fuck this fucking place. :eeyore:
I went out in 37F yesterday... very cold. That said, I got pretty :sweaty: climbing hard. I forgot my heart rate monitor but I was certainly in the 180 BPM range, some tough climbs up to higher rates may help you warm up.

I also just wore a normal coat (not cycling) ... looked goofy, but got the job done. Surely you must own other coats having lived mostly in the north your entire life? The cycling purpose built shit is definitely nicer to use, but is it really a requirement? Nah.

I also just layer my fleece under my cycling outer shell... I look weird and fat but it is pretty warm.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:09 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:12 am

I went out in 37F yesterday... very cold. That said, I got pretty :sweaty: climbing hard. I forgot my heart rate monitor but I was certainly in the 180 BPM range, some tough climbs up to higher rates may help you warm up.

I also just wore a normal coat (not cycling) ... looked goofy, but got the job done. Surely you must own other coats having lived mostly in the north your entire life? The cycling purpose built shit is definitely nicer to use, but is it really a requirement? Nah.

I also just layer my fleece under my cycling outer shell... I look weird and fat but it is pretty warm.
The cycling stuff is necessary sometimes because it not only keeps you warm, but also wicks sweat and breathes in critical areas to keep you from getting either too :moist: or too hot. And it’s not bulky or loose.

The right gear can be a little :waxer: sometimes, but as you ride more you do find the worth in it. If you time your purchases, you can save some shekels, and it does last forever if you take care of it.

I’ve made some investments in proper cooler weather gear this year (better gloves, better shoe covers, my first insulated long sleeve jersey), and it’s made a huge difference in even wanting to ride in sub-50 temps. I logged 578 miles in November, a month in which I typically ride next to nothing.

Granted, :mahtroy: seems to be even more of a lizard person than myself with a greater intolerance for cold, so aside from telling his wife to quit Corning and move somewhere better for both of them, :iono:

Save the outdoor riding for the “nicer” days perhaps, and do some hard HIIT workouts and climb exercises to boost your VO2 capacity.
I agree that it is worthwhile, I love the cycling stuff I bought. That said, Troy has spent something like $4-5K+ I think? His wife may be sick of it for a while, and there is nothing :wrong: with making do with what you have as you slowly build your arsenal.

I guess the stuff I have is at least not super awful as I've always been fairly active with running, hiking, other outdoor shit, so I have things like a waterproof coat, mostly synthetic/sweat wicking winter wear, that while less aero and annoyingly bulky for cycling, at least keeps the body temp regulated. I assume most (wealthy DFD) people own such things, but I could be :wrong:

If the only option was something like say, a pea coat, yeah, I would just use the trainer. I have a Northface raincoat that breaks the wind and keeps me warm. It looks goofy on the bike, the hood is annoying for visability, and it gets hot as you start climbing, but it beats freezing, IMO. I am like Troy in that I hate being cold. If I wear something like that and start to sweat though, I need to be able to go inside as soon as my ride is over, if the plan is to go somewhere and hang out outside at a coffee place or brewery, it sucks to be sweaty in the cold.
troyguitar

I don't really have that stuff anymore because I haven't gone outside in cold weather since I was like 15. I gave away what I did have over the years since then. I have a few leather jackets that I wear all winter for the brief moments going from the house to the car or the car to the store or wherever. The one I normally wear every day has had a broken zipper for the past ~5 years and I just wear it unzipped ZFG since I don't go out for more than a minute at a time.

I guess in theory I still have my heavy duty leather snowmobile jacket and bib pants in a box somewhere from ~1998 but you can't really move in that stuff and it's zero visibility black leather. The suit probably weighs about 15 lbs too, it's made to function partially as armor. Dunno if it even still fits, I'm taller and 30ish lbs heavier than I was back then.
troyguitar

Griff got me curious on the total :wasteful: expenditures so far. My best guess on total bike spending since I started this 18 months ago is about $6500. That's counting everything: bike, parts, tools, accessories, clothes, services.

If I lived somewhere reasonable, I would be "done" spending... but here I'm still short another several hundred to several thousand in cold weather gear, a second set of wheels with winter tires, etc.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:14 pm Griff got me curious on the total :wasteful: expenditures so far. My best guess on total bike spending since I started this 18 months ago is about $6500. That's counting everything: bike, parts, tools, accessories, clothes, services.

If I lived somewhere reasonable, I would be "done" spending... but here I'm still short another several hundred to several thousand in cold weather gear, a second set of wheels with winter tires, etc.
It adds up really quickly... Even if I just look at my Raleigh, which was free, I am $500 or so into that bike alone, and hardly anything has been "upgraded", mostly just keeping the thing running somewhat well.