Career Chat

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:32 pm Welp, Monday the 26th is my start date! :fuckyeah:
:nice:

Hope that it winds up being a good fit for you dude! Looking forward to that commuter bike purchase :popcorn: .
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:32 pm Welp, Monday the 26th is my start date! :fuckyeah:
:fuckyeah:
Good luck, dood!
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

So, still looking for a job, have a bunch of irons in the fire on top of the several hundred apps I've sent out; even working with multiple head hunters as well.

Interesting conversation with my former HR manager though last Monday, and again on Tuesday when I met her at the office to turn in all my equipment and badges. She's quit too because of lack of support and outright refusal to give her a raise. She laid a few more things out there that, legally, I can't go into, but it boils down that it's not a good place to work anymore, and even head hunters are aware of that and have stopped recruiting people for them at this time.

So, blessing in disguise it seems right now.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Devilchrono wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:20 am So, still looking for a job, have a bunch of irons in the fire on top of the several hundred apps I've sent out; even working with multiple head hunters as well.

Interesting conversation with my former HR manager though last Monday, and again on Tuesday when I met her at the office to turn in all my equipment and badges. She's quit too because of lack of support and outright refusal to give her a raise. She laid a few more things out there that, legally, I can't go into, but it boils down that it's not a good place to work anymore, and even head hunters are aware of that and have stopped recruiting people for them at this time.

It's never easy to be let go from any gig, but a place with a bad reputation and deteriorating work quality is probably a good thing to get away from. Just sucks you couldn't find something first, but you will.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Devilchrono wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:20 am So, still looking for a job, have a bunch of irons in the fire on top of the several hundred apps I've sent out; even working with multiple head hunters as well.

It usually is... in most cases if things end, it wasn't a great fit for various reasons. It can take time, but there are other jobs out there, and, IMO, something for everyone.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:58 pm

It usually is... in most cases if things end, it wasn't a great fit for various reasons. It can take time, but there are other jobs out there, and, IMO, something for everyone.
The last 2 years had been nothing but stress filled days simply because I never knew what to expect from my boss. Each day was something different from her, and the fact that she lied to HR about the things she fired me for just kind of prove that to be the case. The changes they're wanting to make to the team are fine, but they'd have gone a lot better if she was just upfront about it and wanted to actually work with the majority of the team. Instead, she just holes up with 2 members (both women) and excludes everyone else from the process.

Oh well, it's in the past now and I'm trying to move on. I've had a handful of interviews over the last couple of days, so something has to shake loose soon.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Devilchrono wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:48 pm

The last 2 years had been nothing but stress filled days simply because I never knew what to expect from my boss. Each day was something different from her, and the fact that she lied to HR about the things she fired me for just kind of prove that to be the case. The changes they're wanting to make to the team are fine, but they'd have gone a lot better if she was just upfront about it and wanted to actually work with the majority of the team. Instead, she just holes up with 2 members (both women) and excludes everyone else from the process.

Oh well, it's in the past now and I'm trying to move on. I've had a handful of interviews over the last couple of days, so something has to shake loose soon.
If you need to vent, you can always do a Glass Door review :lolol:
ChrisoftheNorth

Man sounds like a classic case of bad management compounded by a bad company. I can't stand bad management...and I've been dealing with it for 5 years straight now. Both with a decent company and a terrible company, both suck.

Really hoping you land something with a better environment.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:55 pm

Sadly, I'm not able to do that. Part of the agreement I had to sign to get my severance is that I can not legally name, disparage or in any negative way mention the company in any kind of bad light, or I'm opening myself up to be taken to court.
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:37 pm

Man sounds like a classic case of bad management compounded by a bad company. I can't stand bad management...and I've been dealing with it for 5 years straight now. Both with a decent company and a terrible company, both suck.

Yup, once they got bought and the new Board got to start having a MASSIVE say in how the place is run, the management turned their backs on pretty much all levels except the Executives and moral suffered greatly.
ChrisoftheNorth

Devilchrono wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:49 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:55 pm

Sadly, I'm not able to do that. Part of the agreement I had to sign to get my severance is that I can not legally name, disparage or in any negative way mention the company in any kind of bad light, or I'm opening myself up to be taken to court.
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:37 pm

Yup, once they got bought and the new Board got to start having a MASSIVE say in how the place is run, the management turned their backs on pretty much all levels except the Executives and moral suffered greatly.
Ahhhhhhhhhh that explains a lot.

Sucks because mgmt needs to realize that it's the working level people that make a place tick.
wap

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:19 pm
Devilchrono wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:49 pm

Sucks because mgmt needs to realize that it's the working level people that make a place tick.
They seem to almost never do, :doe: :rage: :(
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:23 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:19 pm

I really want to be a people leader only to be that one good boss that looks out for his people and has their backs.
wap

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:27 pm
I really want to be a people leader only to be that one good boss that looks out for his people and has their backs.
That would be :unicorn: for sure.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Become a life coach/management coach brah. Consulting!
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Man, most of my bosses over the years have been really good. I think there's a big difference in smaller companies versus massive corps that some of y'all work for.

Every acquisition/merger is a challenge though. My previous company was bought by a company that owned a lot of our competitors and we were very much the 'bastard step child' feel. I left about six months later as they clearly weren't really big fans of the Bang Bus concept and I was nervous about the longevity. A replacement for me was never hired and several people got laid off, but I do know most of the guys are still there. I probably would've survived until COVID.

Current place we acquired Control4 last year, funny enough though, they had 700ish employees and we had 300, just way more profitability. So it's been pretty weird getting overtaken in culture by a weirdo Utah company. There's also a super difference in the feel at a company of 1200 people versus 300. I definitely think it was better overall pre "merger" but overall it's still a :notbad: place to work and my boss is excellent.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:12 am
Man, most of my bosses over the years have been really good. I think there's a big difference in smaller companies versus massive corps that some of y'all work for.

Every acquisition/merger is a challenge though. My previous company was bought by a company that owned a lot of our competitors and we were very much the 'bastard step child' feel. I left about six months later as they clearly weren't really big fans of the Bang Bus concept and I was nervous about the longevity. A replacement for me was never hired and several people got laid off, but I do know most of the guys are still there. I probably would've survived until COVID.

Current place we acquired Control4 last year, funny enough though, they had 700ish employees and we had 300, just way more profitability. So it's been pretty weird getting overtaken in culture by a weirdo Utah company. There's also a super difference in the feel at a company of 1200 people versus 300. I definitely think it was better overall pre "merger" but overall it's still a :notbad: place to work and my boss is excellent.
Oh, no question there's a major difference between giant corps and smaller companies. I'd LOVE to work for a smaller company, but what I do and my experience has no value for smaller orgs, so I'm just kind of stuck unless I start at the bottom in some other field.

BUT, I'm really curious to see what happens to my company after it merges in Q1. Things could get pretty :notbad: at least they can't possibly get worse.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:17 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:12 am

Oh, no question there's a major difference between giant corps and smaller companies. I'd LOVE to work for a smaller company, but what I do and my experience has no value for smaller orgs, so I'm just kind of stuck unless I start at the bottom in some other field.

BUT, I'm really curious to see what happens to my company after it merges in Q1. Things could get pretty :notbad: at least they can't possibly get worse.
We hire product managers from outside the electronics industry. I think the pay is pretty good, it's something I may consider pursuing down the line if I'm still here.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:01 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:17 am

We hire product managers from outside the electronics industry. I think the pay is pretty good, it's something I may consider pursuing down the line if I'm still here.
Are they remote gigs?
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:10 pm
You’d be shitcanned in no time.
Oh, totally. But, it would be a great way to go down.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:26 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:01 am

Are they remote gigs?
Not really but I could see it being on the table in our “new normal”.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Back in the workforce starting on the 24th. Still get to work from home, and in an industry I'm fairly familiar with, so that it'll allow me to continue working for certs and shit while having a stable job again.
wap

Devilchrono wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:38 pm Back in the workforce starting on the 24th. Still get to work from home, and in an industry I'm fairly familiar with, so that it'll allow me to continue working for certs and shit while having a stable job again.
:nice: !
ChrisoftheNorth

Devilchrono wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:38 pm Back in the workforce starting on the 24th. Still get to work from home, and in an industry I'm fairly familiar with, so that it'll allow me to continue working for certs and shit while having a stable job again.
:fuckyeah: congrats man! Glad you didn't have to search for too long. Hopefully the new gig works out well!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Still doing IT/project management? Congrats on the gig!
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

D Griff wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:23 pm
Still doing IT/project management? Congrats on the gig!
Nope, going to be working as a loan processor for a mortgage company. It'll open a bunch of doors for a transition back into IT though, with them or someone else, and allow me to work on getting some certs and shit while pulling in a paycheck.