OT 19: Masks On, Clothes Off, Right Hand Left Titty

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:02 am
max225 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:53 am

Some are FYI so I call in listen and multi task. Work has changed a lot lately... I also feel like productivity is WAY up. Because now you're expected to be ALWAYS ON as opposed to prior where you can say " i am picking up my kids, I am driving home, etc".

2020 :disgust: some of this perma work from home shit comes at a price.
See, I find the opposite. It's easy to be "always on" from the phone. I'll go fuck off to the store or whatever errands and respond to IMs and whatnot on my phone. Can also take meetings from my phone, which I've done at wineries a few times now.

Before, I was never really allowed to leave the office for any reason. SO I'd be there rotting for 10-12 hours a day going from worthless meeting to worthless meeting getting :sass: and other :bs: from my boss. I'd also need to be able to answer my phone at any time, and check emails throughout the night. I still do those things, but being away from all that office shit has actually improved my flexibility to work anywhere. I don't mind being on all the time because I was before.

I guess it depends a lot on the remote software implemented. We're all Google which means most of my job can be done from my phone seamlessly and nobody is the wiser.
:dat: is more my experience. The people who don't DL teams to the phone are doing it :wrong:

I do think that individual contributor versus manager is a big thing now though. Having to :dill: with a bunch of people who are slacking while WFH and stuff... :disgust:

My boss is undoubtedly doing 1.5X the work as before for less pay.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

datgrundle wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:10 pm
wap wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:57 am

Fuuuuck. Sorry dude. That sucks.
Hope you can find something else soon.
:(
I'm gonna take some time for myself. I've been working 60-70 hours for the past two plus years. I need some rest...
Hope it helps man. To be honest, most people I know who have lost their jobs over the years end up in a better position down the line. Now at least you can DFD more?
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:15 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:02 am
See, I find the opposite. It's easy to be "always on" from the phone. I'll go fuck off to the store or whatever errands and respond to IMs and whatnot on my phone. Can also take meetings from my phone, which I've done at wineries a few times now.

Before, I was never really allowed to leave the office for any reason. SO I'd be there rotting for 10-12 hours a day going from worthless meeting to worthless meeting getting :sass: and other :bs: from my boss. I'd also need to be able to answer my phone at any time, and check emails throughout the night. I still do those things, but being away from all that office shit has actually improved my flexibility to work anywhere. I don't mind being on all the time because I was before.

I guess it depends a lot on the remote software implemented. We're all Google which means most of my job can be done from my phone seamlessly and nobody is the wiser.
:dat: is more my experience. The people who don't DL teams to the phone are doing it :wrong:

I do think that individual contributor versus manager is a big thing now though. Having to :dill: with a bunch of people who are slacking while WFH and stuff... :disgust:

I got 2 direct reports, it is somewhat manageable. The "calling in from a winery" is something i can not do. I have to frequently share screens, look up a lot of data etc. Listening in while not contributing just to show face is diff. Both myself and the sig other are glued to our respective "home offices" all day. But sometimes I get breaks and I can do errands which is a nice break.
datgrundle
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Tits and ass to the DFD

datgrundle wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:10 pm

I'm gonna take some time for myself. I've been working 60-70 hours for the past two plus years. I need some rest...
Hope it helps man. To be honest, most people I know who have lost their jobs over the years end up in a better position down the line. Now at least you can DFD more?
I can DFD period. My absence has been due to lack of work access, stress and fatigue.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:25 pm

I got 2 direct reports, it is somewhat manageable. The "calling in from a winery" is something i can not do. I have to frequently share screens, look up a lot of data etc. Listening in while not contributing just to show face is diff. Both myself and the sig other are glued to our respective "home offices" all day. But sometimes I get breaks and I can do errands which is a nice break.
Yeah, I need access to a computer for all of my customer calls as well, which is most of my day. I can certainly duck out as needed though, and still appear to be working by responding to messages and stuff on my phone.

My job is 90% self motivated/driven/proactive and not reactive. Fortunately most of the other sales people are lazy, so by all metrics I do pretty much the most work or am in the top 10% of productivity. Achieving this is really easy in this role, TBH. That is why I don't envy our managers though, many of the sales reps only do 100ish "activities" per week. Any call, email, contact with a customer is an activity, 20 per day could be achieved in three hours. I do about 2X that and clearly DFD all day, go run errands many days, start late and leave early sometimes, etc.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Cali peeps, did your vehicle registration cost more this year? Mine was $521 vs $380 for last year..
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

SAWCE wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:56 pm Cali peeps, did your vehicle registration cost more this year? Mine was $521 vs $380 for last year..
That’s a bit odd. I haven’t noticed.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

max225 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:13 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:56 pm Cali peeps, did your vehicle registration cost more this year? Mine was $521 vs $380 for last year..
That’s a bit odd. I haven’t noticed.
Yeah I paid online and didn’t see a breakdown of what everything was.. need to compare it to last year’s when they mail the card to me.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Ah, I plan where I take my meetings accordingly. Many meetings I need to share and present, which doesn't work on the phone and are taken from home. But those where I just show face or lately "represent my team" is just me yelling at people for being stupid, but not really presenting anything. I take those from anywhere, and they're probably 1/3 of my meetings. I love the flexibility.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:41 pm
Yeah, I need access to a computer for all of my customer calls as well, which is most of my day. I can certainly duck out as needed though, and still appear to be working by responding to messages and stuff on my phone.

My job is 90% self motivated/driven/proactive and not reactive. Fortunately most of the other sales people are lazy, so by all metrics I do pretty much the most work or am in the top 10% of productivity. Achieving this is really easy in this role, TBH. That is why I don't envy our managers though, many of the sales reps only do 100ish "activities" per week. Any call, email, contact with a customer is an activity, 20 per day could be achieved in three hours. I do about 2X that and clearly DFD all day, go run errands many days, start late and leave early sometimes, etc.
Being a motivator rather than a manager would get old FAST.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Jeezus.

Shit is $40/year here in Delaware for cars.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:34 pm
Jeezus.

Mine in the Land of Lincoln just went up to $180.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

Jeezus.

MI splits the difference...the JL was $240 this year.

Still a lot IMO. Does Delaware charge a higher gas tax or toll roads or something to make up for it?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Here it is based on value... :jeep: was around $600, :poorvette: around $200.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Jeezus.

THATS BECAUSE JOE BIDEN PAYS THE REST FROM UKRAINIAN KICKBACKS BRAH :caspian:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

GTI in Texas was $85. GTI in Virginia was $60 + property tax based on address which was $600 so $660.

:ludacris:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:42 pm Here it is based on value... :jeep: was around $600, :poorvette: around $200.
$600!? :ohdang:

That's the highest I've heard of I think. Must have pretty low gas taxes or super nice roads.
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:43 pm GTI in Texas was $85. GTI in Virginia was $60 + property tax based on address which was $600 so $660.

I don't understand paying an annual property tax on something other than a house. So strange.
wap

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:47 pm
razr390 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:43 pm GTI in Texas was $85. GTI in Virginia was $60 + property tax based on address which was $600 so $660.

I don't understand paying an annual property tax on something other than a house. So strange.
:dat:
While you're at it, why not a tax on, say, furniture, or a lawn mower. They're also "property"...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:44 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:42 pm Here it is based on value... :jeep: was around $600, :poorvette: around $200.

That's the highest I've heard of I think. Must have pretty low gas taxes or super nice roads.
Eh, roads are decent. Gas is middle of the road. This used to be a cheap place to live, it no longer is. Small, basic houses are $300K, taxes are middle of the road, a beer is $7, etc.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:44 pm $600!? :ohdang:

Eh, roads are decent. Gas is middle of the road. This used to be a cheap place to live, it no longer is. Small, basic houses are $300K, taxes are middle of the road, a beer is $7, etc.
NC taxes are cheap as fuck. Cars are the only thing that is kind of high-ish.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:03 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:47 pm
While you're at it, why not a tax on, say, furniture, or a lawn mower. They're also "property"...
Exactly! And logically, what are you paying for exactly?

I guess a car is road use...but then why the separate registration?
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:06 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:44 pm

Nowhere is cheap anymore. That's the hardest thing to accept.
wap

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:17 pm
wap wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:03 pm

Exactly! And logically, what are you paying for exactly?

I guess a car is road use...but then why the separate registration?
:iono: I don't get it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:10 pm
D Griff wrote:
NC taxes are cheap as fuck. Cars are the only thing that is kind of high-ish.
:wrong: https://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst-st ... payer/2416

It's right about middle of the pack. Mecklenburg County where I reside is the most expensive in the state as well.