2020 :plac: life!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

[user not found] wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:55 pm Add me to the list, again.
:dat: done
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:waiting:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

D Griff wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:35 am
:waiting:
It’s in his garage thread
max225

TTT
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Two Tacos in one week!

:truckyeah:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Don’t worry. Give it 12 months and this will be a GTI forum again.
max225

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:39 pm Don’t worry. Give it 12 months and this will be a GTI forum again.
:dat: we go in waves.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:39 pm Don’t worry. Give it 12 months and this will be a GTI forum again.
I'll just be over here in my :poorvette:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

I did my part!
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I'm not engayging in this behavior.... the itch is growing and now I want a mid-engine something cheap, a :truk: , and a LS460 for some perverse reason.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:18 pm
Tarspin wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:17 pm I'm not engayging in this behavior.... the itch is growing and now I want a mid-engine something cheap, a :truk: , and a LS460 for some perverse reason.
I mean, if you’re looking for a smooth kampfy kouch, the LS is the ticket.
I have been doing 35 to 40k/yr all on a three to six lane freeway and if I even try to speed :mahtroy: luck goes from a peaceful slumber to a raging bull. It's like the police are everywhere anymore. Why not soak up those miles in a quiet vault where i can do a bunch of hands free calling and listening to e-books. Back seat space for miles and some of those seats recline, I can pass out back there. Super reliable and durable because it shares the same platform as the monster SUVs so it's good for 600k. Needs to be paired with a fun car though, something outrageous and irresponsible.

Edit:
Older ones can be had for $20k like this one because anyone sane would just buy a three year old Camry.

This one is ugly as sin but has a great interior.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/mis ... 1523633103
Last edited by Tar on Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:43 pm
Tarspin wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:24 pm

I have been doing 35 to 40k/yr all on a three to six lane freeway and if I even try to speed :mahtroy: luck goes from a peaceful slumber to a raging bull. It's like the police are everywhere anymore. Why not soak up those miles in a quiet vault where i can do a bunch of hands free calling and listening to e-books. Back seat space for miles and some of those seats recline, I can pass out back there. Super reliable and durable because it shares the same platform as the monster SUVs so it's good for 600k. Needs to be paired with a fun car though, something outrageous and irresponsible.
Can you get a Donkervoort in Canuckland?
I sat on the rear axle of a :poorvette: for long enough, need to move forward. A 997 would be ideal but I'd really like a MK2 - MR2 in a :neat: 90s color, or something newer and could get track time on my non-existent weekends.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

You've got the space and cash and you're not going to drive it much anyway - might as well get a depreciation-proof Elise. Put 10k on it over 5 years and sell it for more than you paid.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:55 pm You've got the space and cash and you're not going to drive it much anyway - might as well get a depreciation-proof Elise. Put 10k on it over 5 years and sell it for more than you paid.
I ran out of cash to pay for the space, I need to recover for a while like probably burn through 300k kms on the Gorf and then sell it for hopefully something like $8k which will fund 1/3 of the LS. Maybe by then an Elise will be an option, it's a really awesome track toy!
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

I am considering trading in the GTI for a much cheaper, barebones car. I found a 2013 Jetta 2.5L (bulletproof NA engine) for $12k and with negative equity I'd be financing $14k and saving sales tax due to trade in. This would also halve my payment.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225

razr390 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:31 pm I am considering trading in the GTI for a much cheaper, barebones car. I found a 2013 Jetta 2.5L (bulletproof NA engine) for $12k and with negative equity I'd be financing $14k and saving sales tax due to trade in. This would also halve my payment.
Sounds g@y af. :butwhy:
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:48 pm
razr390 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:31 pm I am considering trading in the GTI for a much cheaper, barebones car. I found a 2013 Jetta 2.5L (bulletproof NA engine) for $12k and with negative equity I'd be financing $14k and saving sales tax due to trade in. This would also halve my payment.
Well, I don't really have the time to fully enjoy the GTI and if I could cut my payment in half, that's a lot of diapers.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225

razr390 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:21 am
max225 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:48 pm

Well, I don't really have the time to fully enjoy the GTI and if I could cut my payment in half, that's a lot of diapers.
She is going to be out of diapers in 2 months, and you'll be in a jizz filled diaper loaded useless base model jetta. Fuck that life man.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Dude that is a stupid as hell idea, with all due respect. You have a car you’ve had since new, you’re going to roll the dice on some old POS Jetta that may or may not be reliable when every used car is at a record high price and you have negative equity?

Cheaper to keep her. The best thing you can do is just drive the GTI until 2030. Cheaper in the long run and you’ll have the benefit of not having a shit car.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:17 pm I'm not engayging in this behavior.... the itch is growing and now I want a mid-engine something cheap, a :truk: , and a LS460 for some perverse reason.
Eh, I mean I get it. That would cover all the bases. I like the Elise idea though from Troy, it will cost you a lot less over the ownership than a MR2 and drive better.

The LS isn’t really my thing at all but given the highway KMs you’re logging, I like it.

Have you considered an American alternative? They probably depreciate off a cliff and are way less used, recent Lincolns are dope as hell if you just want to cruise and be comfy. Those interiors are :mindblown: and they look super classy.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Eh, I mean I get it. That would cover all the bases. I like the Elise idea though from Troy, it will cost you a lot less over the ownership than a MR2 and drive better.

The LS isn’t really my thing at all but given the highway KMs you’re logging, I like it.

Have you considered an American alternative? They probably depreciate off a cliff and are way less used, recent Lincolns are dope as hell if you just want to cruise and be comfy. Those interiors are :mindblown: and they look super classy.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:00 am Dude that is a stupid as hell idea, with all due respect. You have a car you’ve had since new, you’re going to roll the dice on some old POS Jetta that may or may not be reliable when every used car is at a record high price and you have negative equity?

Cheaper to keep her. The best thing you can do is just drive the GTI until 2030. Cheaper in the long run and you’ll have the benefit of not having a shit car.
Undoubtedly the case from a net worth perspective. You have a 6 year bumper-to-bumper warranty, so expenses are essentially fixed, and you've already taken the biggest depreciation hit. If it'd be *nice* to free up a couple hundred/mo but you can still manage the current payment, I'd ride it out and start going through my by bank statements to see where there are other expenses I could trim.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:03 am

Optics: I physically drive my work vehicle into Toyota plants and park close to equipment that I service (weekly), allowing me to use the trunk as a storage locker for my tools and equipment. Having a brand specific vehicle helps, and of all the Toyota shit out there a long wheelbase comfortable cruiser like a 2011-2014 LS checks a lot of boxes and is a durable ass car.

The commute is super boring, straight and constant, like I get 10 min of country road before I hit the 401 and lock in cruise control for the remaining 60-90 kms.

My alternate is a Charger, also four doors for more kids, and also a nice riding highway cruiser. The difference there is depreciation and build materials/quality, but I do business with FCA and like their products a lot. I could probably land an SXT or something in the 2015-2017 range and enjoy newer tech. Something to think about for now.

I suppose if I put optics aside the Lincoln might be a decent alternative, I should check them out at very least, 2017 MKZ is the same price but quickly drops from 22k to 7k in three years. There's possibly something undesirable about them if they tank that much. :notsure: but will research it and take one for a rip when the day comes.

IF I regain disposable income for toys again I'll consider an Elise, it would purely be to shake out all the anxiety of not having a nimble car and I'd definitely want to turn that into a track toy. My wife will hate it again but she did say that I should probably get a fun car again some day since I came back super stoked after the track day. I feel like this is all another lifetime away at this point doe, :sad:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

coogles wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:16 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:00 am Dude that is a stupid as hell idea, with all due respect. You have a car you’ve had since new, you’re going to roll the dice on some old POS Jetta that may or may not be reliable when every used car is at a record high price and you have negative equity?

Undoubtedly the case from a net worth perspective. You have a 6 year bumper-to-bumper warranty, so expenses are essentially fixed, and you've already taken the biggest depreciation hit. If it'd be *nice* to free up a couple hundred/mo but you can still manage the current payment, I'd ride it out and start going through my by bank statements to see where there are other expenses I could trim.
:dat:

Cheapest thing is to always keep what you have, even if the payment is more. In the long run, when you swap the poverty Jetta for another GTI or something, you're back to where you started after lighting thousands on fire in interest on negative equity. There are very few instances where rolling negative equity makes sense. This is not one of those.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:22 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:03 am

Optics: I physically drive my work vehicle into Toyota plants and park close to equipment that I service (weekly), allowing me to use the trunk as a storage locker for my tools and equipment. Having a brand specific vehicle helps, and of all the Toyota shit out there a long wheelbase comfortable cruiser like a 2011-2014 LS checks a lot of boxes and is a durable ass car.

The commute is super boring, straight and constant, like I get 10 min of country road before I hit the 401 and lock in cruise control for the remaining 60-90 kms.

My alternate is a Charger, also four doors for more kids, and also a nice riding highway cruiser. The difference there is depreciation and build materials/quality, but I do business with FCA and like their products a lot. I could probably land an SXT or something in the 2015-2017 range and enjoy newer tech. Something to think about for now.

I suppose if I put optics aside the Lincoln might be a decent alternative, I should check them out at very least, 2017 MKZ is the same price but quickly drops from 22k to 7k in three years. There's possibly something undesirable about them if they tank that much. :notsure: but will research it and take one for a rip when the day comes.

IF I regain disposable income for toys again I'll consider an Elise, it would purely be to shake out all the anxiety of not having a nimble car and I'd definitely want to turn that into a track toy. My wife will hate it again but she did say that I should probably get a fun car again some day since I came back super stoked after the track day. I feel like this is all another lifetime away at this point doe, :sad:
All things in time. This is the main reason I keep the 'vette around, it isn't worth enough to really make the argument that it would free up cash, and it doesn't really ask much of me in terms of money/time (I did spend a few thousand and a lot of hours refreshing it early this year, but that should be good for a while). Hopefully you can get something down the line! I will say, while cool, the Elise is another level or three of "not daily friendly" compared to a Corvette. I think my wife would ride in it once if I bought one and that would be that.

I would definitely choose a Charger over the Lexus, but the Lexus is certainly tops in long term durability. Charger is not depressing :doe: And I cannot un-see that absolutely hideous gold Lexus you posted above :lolol: