OT 19: Masks On, Clothes Off, Right Hand Left Titty

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:27 pm
wap wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:18 pm

Probably continuing a project I started last week with my FIL's help. I should post it in the :haus: thread, but we've started cutting down a bunch of tall, :disgust: useless pine trees around my side yard. It's step one of a years long (1-2 probably) project to convert wasted nasty yard space to a much nicer, usable outdoor area. Last week he helped me totally redo an overgrown flower bed by planting a hydrangea bush surrounded by sedum, mulch, and rocks. Then we started on the trees and got 2 cut down and chopped up. We cut and saved the big logs for a future fire pit and cut the smaller branches to be picked up with my other regular yard waste, except they didn't pick up the branches :lolol: :ohwell: :tits: is friends with someone in village government so she asked her what we need to do to get them picked up, so I'm not too worried about it. Got 10 more trees to go and the plan is to get as many cut as possible before the weather turns to serious :poop: in the next few weeks, then continue in the spring. Doing it ourselves should save :mindblown: amounts of scratch, at LEAST several hundo, if not low four figures/tree.
:notbad: in4pics. We've done a fair bit of planting things and such, now just kind of maintaining and maybe doing a bit more come spring. I have thought about planting some fescue but I may just wait until spring and install more Zoysia plugs, they seem to do well where I've put them as long as the areas get at least a small amount of sun.

I need to cut the grass one last time this week and blow some leaves. I think I'll just use the leaves as mulch in our back natural areas if :tits: will allow it.
Your yard/patio came out 5/7! Doubt that mine will end up looking that good, but we're gonna give it a try. Our problem is this whole area is surrounded by something like 18 trees - the aforementioned 12 pines, 3 oaks, 1 neighbor's oak, and a maple. Plus another maple on the nearby parkway. So NO grass grows there. I've tried sodding and seeding with shade seed but the combination of deep shade from the canopy and the chemistry of the pines which apparently makes grass all but impossible to grow around, finally made me give up with trying to grow anything. So the plan, which is nowhere near fully formed at this point, is to get rid of the ugly pines and replace them with arborvitaes for privacy then put down pea gravel everywhere with flagstone pathways and small planting areas for things like ferns or hostas or whatever else will grow in deep shade. Throw a garden bench or 2 somewhere for that sort of English garden look, add a fire pit of some sort in the center, and :iono: what else.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:
wap wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:18 pm Probably continuing a project I started last week with my FIL's help. I should post it in the :haus: thread, but we've started cutting down a bunch of tall, :disgust: useless pine trees around my side yard. It's step one of a years long (1-2 probably) project to convert wasted nasty yard space to a much nicer, usable outdoor area. Last week he helped me totally redo an overgrown flower bed by planting a hydrangea bush surrounded by sedum, mulch, and rocks. Then we started on the trees and got 2 cut down and chopped up. We cut and saved the big logs for a future fire pit and cut the smaller branches to be picked up with my other regular yard waste, except they didn't pick up the branches Imageol: :ohwell: :tits: is friends with someone in village government so she asked her what we need to do to get them picked up, so I'm not too worried about it. Got 10 more trees to go and the plan is to get as many cut as possible before the weather turns to serious :poop: in the next few weeks, then continue in the spring. Doing it ourselves should save :mindblown: amounts of scratch, at LEAST several hundo, if not low four figures/tree.
:notbad: in4pics. We've done a fair bit of planting things and such, now just kind of maintaining and maybe doing a bit more come spring. I have thought about planting some fescue but I may just wait until spring and install more Zoysia plugs, they seem to do well where I've put them as long as the areas get at least a small amount of sun.

I need to cut the grass one last time this week and blow some leaves. I think I'll just use the leaves as mulch in our back natural areas if :tits: will allow it.
Do you have few enough leaves to just mulch everything in-place while you mow? That's what I did in KY and it was 5/7. Never had to use a rake/blower.
troyguitar

Ugh. I did this with plain old masking tape intending to take it back off quickly, but now that I've seen the finished product I kind of want it to be permanent. It looks fucking epic IMO.

Anyone know how quickly masking tape fades or what it looks like as it deteriorates?

troyguitar

It's a hard polyurethane finish (on a $199 guitar) so I'm not super worried about glue fucking it up, but that's a good point that UV will be the real killer and I don't generally store the thing outside. Maybe I'll just leave it and see how it ages.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

wap wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:44 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:27 pm

Your yard/patio came out 5/7! Doubt that mine will end up looking that good, but we're gonna give it a try. Our problem is this whole area is surrounded by something like 18 trees - the aforementioned 12 pines, 3 oaks, 1 neighbor's oak, and a maple. Plus another maple on the nearby parkway. So NO grass grows there. I've tried sodding and seeding with shade seed but the combination of deep shade from the canopy and the chemistry of the pines which apparently makes grass all but impossible to grow around, finally made me give up with trying to grow anything. So the plan, which is nowhere near fully formed at this point, is to get rid of the ugly pines and replace them with arborvitaes for privacy then put down pea gravel everywhere with flagstone pathways and small planting areas for things like ferns or hostas or whatever else will grow in deep shade. Throw a garden bench or 2 somewhere for that sort of English garden look, add a fire pit of some sort in the center, and :iono: what else.
Curious to hear what stuff ends up working well in the super shade. Our hostas haven't really done as well as I'd hoped, but I think the problem may be deer :notsure:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:53 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:06 pm What's cooking for everyone this weekend?
Bikes, as usual.

And possibly swapping the Trailcock for a sweet set of used drum brakes.
:popcorn:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:50 pm
D Griff wrote:

Do you have few enough leaves to just mulch everything in-place while you mow? That's what I did in KY and it was 5/7. Never had to use a rake/blower.
My POS free lawn mower has no bagging feature, so sadly not an option. That would be the smart way to :doit: :doe:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:06 pm It's a hard polyurethane finish (on a $199 guitar) so I'm not super worried about glue fucking it up, but that's a good point that UV will be the real killer and I don't generally store the thing outside. Maybe I'll just leave it and see how it ages.
I've left paint projects and stuff sitting for a while without fade (outside in the sun). I would imagine inside it would take quite some time, my concern would be it stripping off with strumming and stuff.
wap

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:01 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:50 pm Do you have few enough leaves to just mulch everything in-place while you mow? That's what I did in KY and it was 5/7. Never had to use a rake/blower.
My POS free lawn mower has no bagging feature, so sadly not an option. That would be the smart way to :doit: :doe:
He wasn't talking about bagging, :doe: . He meant to mulch the leaves as you mow over them. I could do that through September but by October there are waaay too many leaves falling from all the oaks and maples around me that my mower could not handle it all.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:05 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:01 pm

He wasn't talking about bagging, :doe: . He meant to mulch the leaves as you mow over them. I could do that through September but by October there are waaay too many leaves falling from all the oaks and maples around me that my mower could not handle it all.
Yeah I will do that but there is still too much on top of the grass unless I bagged it all to dump in the natural area I want to use them as mulch in.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

I've been riding my bike a lot lately. Started watching YouTube channels on how to maintain it. It's a commuter bike but the videos are mostly people working on mountain bikes(berm peak!). Now I want a hardtail. Pandemic really straining that supply chain too. LBS stock is low and people are wanting too much for used bikes on the Facebooks.

I took my city bike to a family single track trail in the park last weekend. It wasn't too bad. Tires are just too narrow.

How hard is it to change out a fork on a bike?
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

[user not found] wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:53 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:06 pm What's cooking for everyone this weekend?
Bikes, as usual.

And possibly swapping the Trailcock for a sweet set of used drum brakes.
Don’t forget the rust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:17 pm I've been riding my bike a lot lately. Started watching YouTube channels on how to maintain it. It's a commuter bike but the videos are mostly people working on mountain bikes(berm peak!). Now I want a hardtail. Pandemic really straining that supply chain too. LBS stock is low and people are wanting too much for used bikes on the Facebooks.

I took my city bike to a family single track trail in the park last weekend. It wasn't too bad. Tires are just too narrow.

Yooo check out the bike thread over in the 'Gym Class' section, we all chat daily about this stuff. I've been learning a lot about adjusting derailleurs, brakes, really everything. Check out the Park Tool channel on YouTube, IMO they have the best bicycle maintenacne/repair content, it's very detailed. I haven't changed a MTB fork but it shouldn't be too bad.

Pics of the bike? You may be able to get some more MTB friendly tires on it as-is.

I have tried to get a new road bike during this :bs: and it is basically impossible. The Charlotte Metro (2 million people) has had one road bike available anywhere in my size over the past few months, I test road it but $4K was a bit rich for me.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:26 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:17 pm I've been riding my bike a lot lately. Started watching YouTube channels on how to maintain it. It's a commuter bike but the videos are mostly people working on mountain bikes(berm peak!). Now I want a hardtail. Pandemic really straining that supply chain too. LBS stock is low and people are wanting too much for used bikes on the Facebooks.

Not too hard, but if you choose the wrong fork you can screw up the handling a bit.

You’re looking to make your commuter/city bike a mountain bike?
Make it at least more tolerable. There was an option when I bought it to get a front shock. Would love to find one of those used but it's not a common bike and it's 6 years old.

My bike is a 2014 cannondale bad boy 5
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:28 pm

Yooo check out the bike thread over in the 'Gym Class' section, we all chat daily about this stuff. I've been learning a lot about adjusting derailleurs, brakes, really everything. Check out the Park Tool channel on YouTube, IMO they have the best bicycle maintenacne/repair content, it's very detailed. I haven't changed a MTB fork but it shouldn't be too bad.

Pics of the bike? You may be able to get some more MTB friendly tires on it as-is.

I have tried to get a new road bike during this :bs: and it is basically impossible. The Charlotte Metro (2 million people) has had one road bike available anywhere in my size over the past few months, I test road it but $4K was a bit rich for me.
Will do. I watch that channel too. I had to bleed my front brakes the other day and their channel helped. I used regular mineral oil does, they wouldn't approve.

I'll get some pics taken asap

A few nice bikes will pop up on Facebook occasionally that aren't overpriced and they are gone immediately. Everything else is a "bought this spring, like new, only 3k!" type listings
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:

Ugh it's the same thing up here. The shop that's ~60 miles from here has a Giant Revolt in my probable size (though I might be better off with a small... need to try both to know, which is impossible) for a mere $3650 plus tax...
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Here's what my bike looks like

And this is it with the optional front shock.

Ideally would like something a little more robust. New bad boys have this style set up

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Pretty :neat: bike! I would guess you'd have to go with a regular, two sided shock.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:30 pm
wap wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:44 pm

Yeah, pines make the dirt too acidic.

Best thing to do is take them down, grind out the stumps, add some good topsoil and scrape and backdrag it to mix the dirt up a bit. Overseed it, protect it with straw, and keep it moist. You’ll grow grass in no time that way.
:word:
That'll possibly work in some areas, but there is still the large section that is in more or less constant deep shade. That's where I plan on putting down pea gravel, etc, as outlined above.

Also, high wind warnings tomorrow, so no tree cutting. :rage:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

troyguitar wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:53 pm Ugh. I did this with plain old masking tape intending to take it back off quickly, but now that I've seen the finished product I kind of want it to be permanent. It looks fucking epic IMO.

Anyone know how quickly masking tape fades or what it looks like as it deteriorates?

Nice axe.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Going to clean up the house tomorrow, possibly going to AutoX Sunday.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Control arm bolts finally showed up. Guess I know what I’m doing today.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:38 am
troyguitar wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:04 am

Even if I finally make it to pro musician status and can get paid to do something that I actually enjoy, I still can't see having it be my whole life. I'm still going to want to do car and bike shit, play video games, and spend time doing absolutely nothing. Being able to relax and do nothing without feeling massive guilt and anxiety that I need to be working on something is amazing and I think I've done it all of... twice in my adult life.
There's nothing I'm passionate enough about in life to let it consume me. Working in an office does, and that's why WFH has been such a godsend to me. This morning for example, no meetings so wife and I enjoyed coffee outside watching the sunrise, then took the dog for a walk and relaxed. Boss called and asked for some stuff, so I'm cranking it out now before we go downtown for a quick lunch so I can get back by 2 for a meeting. The balance is fantastic, and I'm still getting all my required work done. I really want this to be the norm.
:mahman: doing it right.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Melon wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:22 pm
Going to clean up the house tomorrow, possibly going to AutoX Sunday.
Are you going to engage in autox or other performance driving with the Beemah?
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

iPhone users... I’m getting sick of pop up video ads on mobile websites that have been crashing my browser and making reading a news article annoying as shit. What can I do about this? Do any of the blockers work, or do I need to find new news sites?

Mainly using BBC and NPR for news now due to this. But I’d like to broaden that a bit.