Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:12 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:57 pm
156k miles. Hell of gamble on that, but hard to lose at that price.
:iono: it has the IMS fix. Porches seem to be really well built to me, never really heard of one wearing out due to mileage. I kinda love higher miles stuff like that that can just be beat on NFG.
Engine reliability is just one aspect. ANY 156k mile car is going to have pretty worn out suspension/chassis/interior components and there's no mention of any work being done to those other than brakes. Probably has been maintained, but if not...man that could get pricey FAST. The fact that the dude chopped the mufflers off gives a bit more room for pause, but could be :neat: I'd just want to see the car in person first.

I don't think I'd personally pay significantly over $10k for the thing. It could end up costing more than a lower mile example depending on what else needs to be done.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Over $15k...the world has gone mad.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Sold for just about $17k. :fullretard:

Which is odd, scrolling through past auctions, Cars and Bids selling prices are remarkably :notbad: for the purchaser.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:36 pm Sold for just about $17k. :fullretard:

Which is odd, scrolling through past auctions, Cars and Bids selling prices are remarkably :notbad: for the purchaser.
Doug did well with C&B concept. Puts BaT in an unwarranted premium market.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

That 996 is a pile of trash. Come at me
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:36 pm That 996 is a pile of trash. Come at me
Not sure I'd go that far...I bet it's a decent car, but in no way a $17k car IMO.
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:03 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:36 pm Sold for just about $17k. :fullretard:

It's interesting, and we'll see how it all develops. I almost entirely ignore BaT these days because the prices are so :fullretard:

I remember when that site was just a blog posting cool/unique CL and eBay finds. Now, it's completely out of touch with reality IMO. Hopefully C&B stays more real, but it'll depend in large part on the size of the wallets of bidders/buyers.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:03 am
razr390 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:03 pm

It's interesting, and we'll see how it all develops. I almost entirely ignore BaT these days because the prices are so :fullretard:

I remember when that site was just a blog posting cool/unique CL and eBay finds. Now, it's completely out of touch with reality IMO. Hopefully C&B stays more real, but it'll depend in large part on the size of the wallets of bidders/buyers.
BAT is reality... the reality that a handful of people have so much money that they don't care what anything costs.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:33 am

BAT is reality... the reality that a handful of people have so much money that they don't care what anything costs.
:notwrong: :(

:ohwell:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:notwrong:

If you want something that is part of that "scene" you are screwed. If you want :scrooge: stick with the common shit no one cares about - Corvettes, Mustangs, MINIs, GTIs, Miatas, etc. The Porsche craze is annoying. They are pretty awesome cars but all of these rich bros think they are the only cars worth a damn and drive the used prices through the roof.

That 996 is cool at $10-12K but $17K? Nah, bro.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:32 am

:notwrong:

If you want something that is part of that "scene" you are screwed. If you want :scrooge: stick with the common shit no one cares about - Corvettes, Mustangs, MINIs, GTIs, Miatas, etc. The Porsche craze is annoying. They are pretty awesome cars but all of these rich bros think they are the only cars worth a damn and drive the used prices through the roof.

That 996 is cool at $10-12K but $17K? Nah, bro.
:dat:
ChrisoftheNorth

I subscribe to MotorTrend OnDemand for car content. Not too long ago, Hot Rod Garage did a build on a later body 4th gen Mustang...a car I've never really been into. Damn did it turn out cool, and done on a :scrooge: budget to boot. Would be a riot to beat on for cheap.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:I subscribe to MotorTrend OnDemand for car content. Not too long ago, Hot Rod Garage did a build on a later body 4th gen Mustang...a car I've never really been into. Damn did it turn out cool, and done on a :scrooge: budget to boot. Would be a riot to beat on for cheap.
I still like the idea of a C4 vette, 99 cobra, 05-10 mustang GT, or any number of other "worthless" cars but I refuse to have anything that requires me to work on it when I don't have a garage.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:51 am
Detroit wrote:I subscribe to MotorTrend OnDemand for car content. Not too long ago, Hot Rod Garage did a build on a later body 4th gen Mustang...a car I've never really been into. Damn did it turn out cool, and done on a :scrooge: budget to boot. Would be a riot to beat on for cheap.
I still like the idea of a C4 vette, 99 cobra, 05-10 mustang GT, or any number of other "worthless" cars but I refuse to have anything that requires me to work on it when I don't have a garage.
You're doing it right. Nice fun car that doesn't require any major wrenching to get through until you have a garage again.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:54 am
troyguitar wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:51 am I still like the idea of a C4 vette, 99 cobra, 05-10 mustang GT, or any number of other "worthless" cars but I refuse to have anything that requires me to work on it when I don't have a garage.
You're doing it right. Nice fun car that doesn't require any major wrenching to get through until you have a garage again.
His current car seems perfectly fine. A $100 driveway tent and basic rust prevention seem like the way to go. He already had the “worthless” rx8, and mr2 and they didn’t last. :plac:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:00 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:54 am
His current car seems perfectly fine. A $100 driveway tent and basic rust prevention seem like the way to go. He already had the “worthless” rx8, and mr2 and they didn’t last. :plac:

I have honestly been amazed at how well my car is holding up now that it just kinda sits in the carport and driven maybe 100 miles/week average (most of which was a trip to CT and track day trips). Covered parking seems to do nearly as much, and avoiding crazy overuse.

:wrong:

I have pretty much decided I'm staying in the cheap car camp. Those Mustangs can be legit :notbad: with some suspension mods and would be neat. There's still cheap stuff that is cool and not worrying about it constantly or ever is fuckin' great.

Sadly the off-road scene really has nothing in this category for Max :doe: . I think my new JL is as :scrooge: as one can really get, or maybe a 10 year old JK sport or 4R.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:36 pm

I have honestly been amazed at how well my car is holding up now that it just kinda sits in the carport and driven maybe 100 miles/week average (most of which was a trip to CT and track day trips). Covered parking seems to do nearly as much, and avoiding crazy overuse.

I have pretty much decided I'm staying in the cheap car camp. Those Mustangs can be legit :notbad: with some suspension mods and would be neat. There's still cheap stuff that is cool and not worrying about it constantly or ever is fuckin' great.

Sadly the off-road scene really has nothing in this category for Max :doe: . I think my new JL is as :scrooge: as one can really get, or maybe a 10 year old JK sport or 4R.
There's plenty of cheap off-road options that you and I would enjoy, just not up to the standards of Max or Zil. #Cheapcarlyfe isn't for everyone.
max225

You can't say that a brand new 40k JL is :scrooge: in the same sentence
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:36 pm That 996 is a pile of trash. Come at me
:nope: Totally agreed..
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

TFLoffroad bought a Max spec Defender.
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:29 pm TFLoffroad bought a Max spec Defender.
Been watching it ... and the check engine light
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:45 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:29 pm TFLoffroad bought a Max spec Defender.
Been watching it ... and the check engine light
Interested in what that ends up being. Could be a coil plug that wasn't clicked fully into place or knocked loose during pre delivery wash or something.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Warranty tho
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:43 pm

You can't say that a brand new 40k JL is :scrooge: in the same sentence
Compared to a 10 year old truck for 25% more I think it is... but you’re right, I’m kind of continually :disgust: that we bought such an expensive car. At the end of the day though, it is still worth what we paid.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:41 pm

There's plenty of cheap off-road options that you and I would enjoy, just not up to the standards of Max or Zil. #Cheapcarlyfe isn't for everyone.
True. I would happily rock that red Taco Johnny posted for $15k. I still think it’s overpriced though.