Northern MI Cucklyfe: Floating Garage Edition

Strut your greasy stuff!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

razr390 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:39 pm
Tarspin wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:48 pm

Based on what I'm reading and what I know about you I vouch for you as a mature and complete adult in every sense of the word. As a parent to parent, you're doing great and i know how tough the first year is. Good job bro!
I’m still not 100% satisfied, but I also think I am doing better than majority of folks at my age. Max contribution to 401k, saving some here and there and investing some here and there. Single income and scraping by, but that’s OKAY. I have some $0 balance credit cards for emergency SHTF moments and some savings for that as well. Once the little one is in school and we get dual income again we will be Cush af. Especially since I’ll probably be at a director level position by the. (3-4 years or so).
:dat: :wat: :tits: said

:trollface:
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Tarspin wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:10 am

I’m still not 100% satisfied, but I also think I am doing better than majority of folks at my age. Max contribution to 401k, saving some here and there and investing some here and there. Single income and scraping by, but that’s OKAY. I have some $0 balance credit cards for emergency SHTF moments and some savings for that as well. Once the little one is in school and we get dual income again we will be Cush af. Especially since I’ll probably be at a director level position by the. (3-4 years or so).

:sass:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

razr390 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:11 am
Tarspin wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:10 am

:sass:
:lickit:
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Tarspin wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:48 pm

Based on what I'm reading and what I know about you I vouch for you as a mature and complete adult in every sense of the word. As a parent to parent, you're doing great and i know how tough the first year is. Good job bro!
That was going to be me. Now I'm a "senior engineer" 2 rungs down. :mahman:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

@chris

With no kids, you two are skipping an absolutely retarded amount of money being lit on fire. Even with only one income, I think you have plenty of bandwidth to live however you want to. If that's a simple life with $6k used Camrys then that's cool. If that means you lease a new 911 for 3 years because fuck it, then that's cool too.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:48 pm Kids would change the equation greatly. What I'm doing is admittedly very selfish and not what the masses would consider responsible. But I've never wanted kids, married a woman who feels the same and made choices in life to enable my selfish lifestyle.

But the real point I struggle with is "live a little". I almost view choices to forego fancy material things in the pursuit of freedom from normal life bullshit as "living a lot", not "a little". Traditional retirement schemes, property ladder bullshit, and college savings accounts don't have to apply to everyone. it's a big choice that I'm not taking lightly, and also why I'm torturing the car spending so much. Other than the house, it's the highest dollar purchase decision we make and I'm trying to be smart with weighing the balance between TRUE wants and needs.
Counter point: having kids is the most selfish thing one could ever do. I'm not saying that I look down on it, I'll likely have one or two myself, but "doing you" is just fine and shouldn't come with any guilt. We are selfish beings. Many work long hours at miserable jobs to buy stupid shit to make themselves happy. Others pursue kids to seek happiness. Neither one is really right/wrong, we all have our own goals.

I think your current path is impressive and I would love to be on it, but my wife is really not similar and I feel like she has just gotten way more into buying shit as time has gone on/we've had more money. It is a weird thing to watch, I've only been married for (almost) a year but we are both very different people than we were a couple of years back, I guess that's what makes it a challenge.

Re: cars, I am with you. I really enjoy having the Corvette, it is cheap/paid off, not much to insure, I don't care about it to the point of it adding any stress to my life, and it gets me where I need reliably when I need a car. I spend a fair amount doing track shit, but that doesn't really have anything to do with the car itself. I don't think I'd be any happier with a 997 or something like that. Sure, it is a better car, nicer inside, more performance, etc. but at the end of the day, both that and the POS C5 are a lot of fun and the C5 costs a tiny fraction and generates no stress for me if it's left sitting outside or on the street outside of a bar overnight, and I don't care when I pick up rock chips at the track.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:52 am

Life can change fast. I've learned that myself. Promised promotions that vaporized, new jobs that turned out to be :poop: and lead nowhere. Can't really count on much of anything other than yourself these days.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:54 am @chris

With no kids, you two are skipping an absolutely retarded amount of money being lit on fire. Even with only one income, I think you have plenty of bandwidth to live however you want to. If that's a simple life with $6k used Camrys then that's cool. If that means you lease a new 911 for 3 years because fuck it, then that's cool too.
The biggest question is income in the long term. Our move north could have a very drastic impact on my earnings potential. I'm 100% ok with that, and decided to move with that in mind, but that also means more caution is required...at least for the next year or so until I know what's going to happen with my existing job.

I figure there's a 50/50 chance of me staying in my current job WFH for the long run or taking some time off to figure things out and hunt for something either permanent remote or located up here. Either way, it makes me really nervous to blow money on luxuries.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
razr390

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:52 am

Two rungs down means when you get back up you’ll be making way more than what you were previously.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:42 am

The biggest question is income in the long term. Our move north could have a very drastic impact on my earnings potential. I'm 100% ok with that, and decided to move with that in mind, but that also means more caution is required...at least for the next year or so until I know what's going to happen with my existing job.

I figure there's a 50/50 chance of me staying in my current job WFH for the long run or taking some time off to figure things out and hunt for something either permanent remote or located up here. Either way, it makes me really nervous to blow money on luxuries.
I’d try to negotiate maybe a split office decision for you if that’s on the table. If it’s either come back yo the office or leave, run that proposal by your manager or HR. You know you don’t need the teet. I’d say offer them a 3 on 2 off and 2 on 3 off schedule (bi-weekly).

Worth it to have a longer commute for those few days if you don’t have to do it 5 days a week. Maybe BnB at a place so you have a place to crash if you work long hours
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

How far are you from the office at the moment ?
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:44 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:48 pm Kids would change the equation greatly. What I'm doing is admittedly very selfish and not what the masses would consider responsible. But I've never wanted kids, married a woman who feels the same and made choices in life to enable my selfish lifestyle.

But the real point I struggle with is "live a little". I almost view choices to forego fancy material things in the pursuit of freedom from normal life bullshit as "living a lot", not "a little". Traditional retirement schemes, property ladder bullshit, and college savings accounts don't have to apply to everyone. it's a big choice that I'm not taking lightly, and also why I'm torturing the car spending so much. Other than the house, it's the highest dollar purchase decision we make and I'm trying to be smart with weighing the balance between TRUE wants and needs.
Counter point: having kids is the most selfish thing one could ever do. I'm not saying that I look down on it, I'll likely have one or two myself, but "doing you" is just fine and shouldn't come with any guilt. We are selfish beings. Many work long hours at miserable jobs to buy stupid shit to make themselves happy. Others pursue kids to seek happiness. Neither one is really right/wrong, we all have our own goals.

I think your current path is impressive and I would love to be on it, but my wife is really not similar and I feel like she has just gotten way more into buying shit as time has gone on/we've had more money. It is a weird thing to watch, I've only been married for (almost) a year but we are both very different people than we were a couple of years back, I guess that's what makes it a challenge.

Re: cars, I am with you. I really enjoy having the Corvette, it is cheap/paid off, not much to insure, I don't care about it to the point of it adding any stress to my life, and it gets me where I need reliably when I need a car. I spend a fair amount doing track shit, but that doesn't really have anything to do with the car itself. I don't think I'd be any happier with a 997 or something like that. Sure, it is a better car, nicer inside, more performance, etc. but at the end of the day, both that and the POS C5 are a lot of fun and the C5 costs a tiny fraction and generates no stress for me if it's left sitting outside or on the street outside of a bar overnight, and I don't care when I pick up rock chips at the track.
Kids vs no kids can be viewed as selfish either way. It's really a personal choice between a couple and IDGAF what choice makes you happy. I just know that for us, kids would never have enhanced any aspect of our lives, it's just not for us. I will say that once my wife's sister popped out twins, my wife has shown a lot more interest in being involved with their lives, maybe it's a surrogate for us not having our own. But I don't mind being the cool aunt and uncle that spoil their niece and nephew, it might be the best way for us to stay connected with the reality of the world and families.

My experience is that you need to figure out what consumption level makes the most sense for you. This time last year, we were making nearly double what we make now HHI, had the fancy house, buying shit like crazy, going out all the time...the ideal life for many. But the tough reality is we were both ultimately miserable. My wife HATED her job...it consumed her life and I felt like she was never happy. I wasn't doing much better as my job move, while lucrative, turned out to be a big steaming pile of misery. But we had all this money that we were nearly killing ourselves for, so consumption made the most sense!

Then the wife lost her job when her company went bankrupt, and I wasn't forced into the office to deal with my misery head on for 10-12 hours a day every day. She got happier, I got happier, and we naturally started buying less. Partially because of the income hit, but partially because we just didn't want stuff. Then once the move north presented itself and we tried out a really frugal life, we both realized how well it works for us and it's probably our best way forward. But we had to experience both to decide IMO. You'll probably go through the same. You might end up enjoying spending the fruits of your labor, there's nothing wrong with that IMO. Different strokes keep the world going around.
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:46 am

I’d try to negotiate maybe a split office decision for you if that’s on the table. If it’s either come back yo the office or leave, run that proposal by your manager or HR. You know you don’t need the teet. I’d say offer them a 3 on 2 off and 2 on 3 off schedule (bi-weekly).

Worth it to have a longer commute for those few days if you don’t have to do it 5 days a week. Maybe BnB at a place so you have a place to crash if you work long hours
Yea, we'll see. The company we're merging with has already announced permanent WFH in Europe with a "come in only as needed" basis. Any and all forcing to come in has been abolished, and on average an employee should spend no more than 1 day per week in the office. I think there's a very decent chance of that happening here post merger in Q1, but who knows until it happens. I'd be happy to keep that work arrangement if it came to fruition, but my bosses are ridiculously old school and I could see them ignoring mandates and forcing us in full time anyway, to which I'd just :nope:

I'm 3 hours from the office. My mom lives 15 minutes from the office, so I have a place to stay when I come down if I have a long day. She's actually been asking me "when will you be coming back into the office?!" in the regular as I think she really wants me to stay with her. Would be great to really reconnect with her TBH. Also have a ton of friends that have openly offered me spare bedrooms, so there's really no huge concern with me going down...I just hate the place, the people, and my job, so the WFH buffer has saved my employment.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Oh damn 3 hrs... we moved pretty far as well.. I am about 50 min outside of the office for now.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:00 pm Oh damn 3 hrs... we moved pretty far as well.. I am about 50 min outside of the office for now.
Yea, moved really far. Most of Michigan sucks, especially the south particularly around Detroit. Gotta go north to find the cool stuff.

As I said, I'm not going to let a job I hate at a company I hate rule my life anymore.
razr390

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:10 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:00 pm Oh damn 3 hrs... we moved pretty far as well.. I am about 50 min outside of the office for now.
Yea, moved really far. Most of Michigan sucks, especially the south particularly around Detroit. Gotta go north to find the cool stuff.

As I said, I'm not going to let a job I hate at a company I hate rule my life anymore.
Can you make me a PPT with how you really feel? We can blow it up on XL to check formulas
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:53 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:44 am

Kids vs no kids can be viewed as selfish either way. It's really a personal choice between a couple and IDGAF what choice makes you happy. I just know that for us, kids would never have enhanced any aspect of our lives, it's just not for us. I will say that once my wife's sister popped out twins, my wife has shown a lot more interest in being involved with their lives, maybe it's a surrogate for us not having our own. But I don't mind being the cool aunt and uncle that spoil their niece and nephew, it might be the best way for us to stay connected with the reality of the world and families.

My experience is that you need to figure out what consumption level makes the most sense for you. This time last year, we were making nearly double what we make now HHI, had the fancy house, buying shit like crazy, going out all the time...the ideal life for many. But the tough reality is we were both ultimately miserable. My wife HATED her job...it consumed her life and I felt like she was never happy. I wasn't doing much better as my job move, while lucrative, turned out to be a big steaming pile of misery. But we had all this money that we were nearly killing ourselves for, so consumption made the most sense!

Then the wife lost her job when her company went bankrupt, and I wasn't forced into the office to deal with my misery head on for 10-12 hours a day every day. She got happier, I got happier, and we naturally started buying less. Partially because of the income hit, but partially because we just didn't want stuff. Then once the move north presented itself and we tried out a really frugal life, we both realized how well it works for us and it's probably our best way forward. But we had to experience both to decide IMO. You'll probably go through the same. You might end up enjoying spending the fruits of your labor, there's nothing wrong with that IMO. Different strokes keep the world going around.
:word: Sounds like you guys have some enjoyable years ahead, fun car or not :like:

I still am a fan of the STI idea, I have always wanted that car :lolol: But I am in the same boat, I could :doit: but at the end of the day, just don't really need a 2-3X the price car than what I've got currently.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:30 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:53 am

:word: Sounds like you guys have some enjoyable years ahead, fun car or not :like:

I still am a fan of the STI idea, I have always wanted that car :lolol: But I am in the same boat, I could :doit: but at the end of the day, just don't really need a 2-3X the price car than what I've got currently.
I've wanted a WRX/STI forever. Still do, and it's honestly my best choice if I want a fun car. That's the biggest challenge, how much do I want a fun car.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:43 pm

I've wanted a WRX/STI forever. Still do, and it's honestly my best choice if I want a fun car. That's the biggest challenge, how much do I want a fun car.
:doit: :lol:

I still think of getting another one eventually, it's the perfect dad's sports car. So many more options for you since you don't need a back seat, but then again it's tough to find something better if you want winter fun as well.
razr390

*slaps roof of car* you know how much fun and practical this baby is? It’s fast and :lolol: inducing, but also can carry doge in back (verified by previous owner) and has a trunk!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Easy to spend someone else's money, but I say :doit:

I really like JP's specific example because the value/price is a bit low due to city life cosmetic :bs: but it has been maintained/well loved/kept stock/low miles but someone we know and trust. It is the perfect thing to just buy and enjoy. Most other ones will be priced too high or have sketchy modifications. I don't really care about the small cosmetic things and I feel like you have similar "values" here. Something pre-scratched that you don't have to worry a ton about is best.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:59 pm

I still think of getting another one eventually, it's the perfect dad's sports car. So many more options for you since you don't need a back seat, but then again it's tough to find something better if you want winter fun as well.
One of the hardest parts for me and especially the wife is owning a car that can only be driven for half the year. Seems like such a waste...and for me tends to contribute to :plac: because I let the waste guilt me.

Something that could be driven year round is really appealing, and with the amount of snow we get up here, an AWD rally thing would be an absolute blast to take out in the snow. Agreed that I'd rather have a 2-door or something more exotic, but to add a vehicle when I really don't need one, I want maximum enjoyment.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:18 pm
Easy to spend someone else's money, but I say :doit:

I really like JP's specific example because the value/price is a bit low due to city life cosmetic :bs: but it has been maintained/well loved/kept stock/low miles but someone we know and trust. It is the perfect thing to just buy and enjoy. Most other ones will be priced too high or have sketchy modifications. I don't really care about the small cosmetic things and I feel like you have similar "values" here. Something pre-scratched that you don't have to worry a ton about is best.
Oh, absolutely. Agreed 100% on all points.

But the fact remains that I haven't driven anywhere in 3 days...the last time I did drive was with my dad visiting on Sunday and we went to dinner and took the JL because it's quieter than the truck and easier to get in and out of. The truck hasn't moved in well over a week, the STI would do the same for similar reasons. We have a "date night" planned tonight for dinner at our favorite restaurant, would probably end up taking the JL no matter what because :tits: likes it more (comfortable ride, quiet, easy to get in and out of). After tonight, I won't drive for probably another week if not longer unless taking the truck to do truck things.

On the pro side...that would certainly keep mileage down, and it would be living in the garage so it would stay nice. Probably wouldn't lose a dime on it if I had it for a few year's of fun.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:19 pm

One of the hardest parts for me and especially the wife is owning a car that can only be driven for half the year. Seems like such a waste...and for me tends to contribute to :plac: because I let the waste guilt me.

Something that could be driven year round is really appealing, and with the amount of snow we get up here, an AWD rally thing would be an absolute blast to take out in the snow. Agreed that I'd rather have a 2-door or something more exotic, but to add a vehicle when I really don't need one, I want maximum enjoyment.
Some people are the "own a special occasional weekend thing" kind of guys, others are not. I prefer to just have something I can beat on and enjoy as much as possible. This STI would really fit the bill for that for you. I think a MINI would too.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:19 pm

996 C4S maybe? More money, but not that crazy.