Northern MI Cucklyfe: Floating Garage Edition

Strut your greasy stuff!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:44 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:42 am
Did you read the post? I'll still give you shit about wind noise because our JL Sahara is just fine. Might be the headliner option, but I have no issue driving that long distances. The JT is on a different level. Most of the time it's fine, but this week it was really windy and holy hell the noise got old. I think it's the ride height and tires from the Rubicon making the biggest difference. I don't really want to pile miles on the JL, so the Ram will be a welcome change on the highway from the JT.

What I'm going to test is if a do-all truck like the Gladiator is better than a utility truck and a more dedicated fun thing. I'll feel better about doing something fun when there's a little more certainty next year (house move done, job settled, etc). OR like I said, my "fun" vehicles might change to boats or side by sides or both.
For a grown ass man Max is a pussy about wind noise for a fact.
If it takes 4 hrs of sitting in a nasa wind-tunnel to get to a national park i'd rather take a mini and WALK the trail. It is more comfortable.
max225

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:30 am

:mahtroy: You gave me so much shit about the wind noise... I would be rolling in a JL right now if it wasn't for that... :lol: I certainly hear you and it's nice to read a post without rose colored glasses.

I do think you should get back into something fun. This :eeyore: thing shouldn't be a norm
Did you read the post? I'll still give you shit about wind noise because our JL Sahara is just fine. Might be the headliner option, but I have no issue driving that long distances. The JT is on a different level. Most of the time it's fine, but this week it was really windy and holy hell the noise got old. I think it's the ride height and tires from the Rubicon making the biggest difference. I don't really want to pile miles on the JL, so the Ram will be a welcome change on the highway from the JT.

What I'm going to test is if a do-all truck like the Gladiator is better than a utility truck and a more dedicated fun thing. I'll feel better about doing something fun when there's a little more certainty next year (house move done, job settled, etc). OR like I said, my "fun" vehicles might change to boats or side by sides or both.
I refuse to believe that the JT which is identical to a JL up to the rear door is any different.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:53 am

I refuse to believe that the JT which is identical to a JL up to the rear door is any different.
Sahara vs Rubicon is absolutely different.

Rubicon is taller overall
Rubicon has taller fender flares, worse aero
Rubicon has knobby tires, much louder than Sahara

And in our case, the Sahara has a headliner, the Rubicon doesn't. I tired putting the Sahara panels on the Rubicon, and while they fit, they need adjusting or something because they don't sit flush with the top/windshield, creating wind noise about 60mph. But under 60mph, the headliner makes a noticeable difference with wind noise in the Rubicon, but still louder than the Sahara. I bet a JT Overland would be just fine, but I don't see the point in that.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:59 am And since it's Friday morning and I've worked my ass off all week, I'm not too motivated to work...here's some more thoughts on the JT.

I've said the JT is my favorite vehicle ever. It still is...but I have to admit it has limitations because in an effort to be everything to everyone, its ends up not being particularly outstanding at anything.

It's loud.

I think it's the Rubicon trim, but man is it loud on the highway. I've ignored it and excused it, but we drove downstate on Tuesday and back yesterday, can't deny the wind noise and road noise gets tiring after 4 hours. Getting to your destination feeling worn out is not great, especially if it's a regular thing. Our JL Sahara is significantly quieter and easier to drive long distances. An Overland JT might be the answer, but I really don't think they look as good and the hit to off-road capability makes it :butwhy: because...

It's not a great truck.

The design dictated a shallow bed. It looks really cool, and the designers love to talk about how you can reach the bottom of the bed from the side, but that makes it pretty crappy at hauling much. I've really learned that as we pile stuff in it moving. And big/bulky items are a PITA to load because the bed is so high. Great for throwing camping gear, bikes, and "lifestyle" stuff in, not so great for loading a washer dryer, or a load of lumber because the 5' bed is super limiting on the length of stuff you can put back there. All in the name of off-road capability, but...

It's just OK off-road.

One of my biggest concerns about the truck initially were the overall length and wheelbase. From the off-roading I've done, it's not a huge issue, but it's not great either. The crappy breakover angle means scraping the belly quite a bit. Fortunately, the lockers help drag over anything, but tight sections of trails are really difficult to navigate with the length. 3 point turns aren't always practical, yet need to be executed to get the long ass wheelbase around trees, rocks, etc. At times, it feels like you're spending more time trying to navigate the truck around crap than having fun.

A true jack of all trades, master of none.

I love that the truck feels like it's ready to do absolutely anything. I spent over a month straight with the top and doors removed this summer, and I loved driving it like that to pick up plants, lumber, and truck stuff. Made mundane boring tasks fun and no other vehicle can really do that. We took it camping with the top off, and that just made the experience even more enjoyable being so immersed in nature. People also absolutely love it, tons of comments on the truck itself, the color, and the overall fun feeling it exudes. It's a truck 5 year old me would have built out of Legos, and that feeling of youth is what makes the truck so endearing. Getting rid of it for a Ram kind of feels like growing up, and I'm not sure how I'll feel about that.
:pouroneout:

It's been fun :doe: and you can always get another in a year's time if you miss it.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:52 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:59 am And since it's Friday morning and I've worked my ass off all week, I'm not too motivated to work...here's some more thoughts on the JT.

I've said the JT is my favorite vehicle ever. It still is...but I have to admit it has limitations because in an effort to be everything to everyone, its ends up not being particularly outstanding at anything.

It's loud.

I think it's the Rubicon trim, but man is it loud on the highway. I've ignored it and excused it, but we drove downstate on Tuesday and back yesterday, can't deny the wind noise and road noise gets tiring after 4 hours. Getting to your destination feeling worn out is not great, especially if it's a regular thing. Our JL Sahara is significantly quieter and easier to drive long distances. An Overland JT might be the answer, but I really don't think they look as good and the hit to off-road capability makes it :butwhy: because...

It's not a great truck.

The design dictated a shallow bed. It looks really cool, and the designers love to talk about how you can reach the bottom of the bed from the side, but that makes it pretty crappy at hauling much. I've really learned that as we pile stuff in it moving. And big/bulky items are a PITA to load because the bed is so high. Great for throwing camping gear, bikes, and "lifestyle" stuff in, not so great for loading a washer dryer, or a load of lumber because the 5' bed is super limiting on the length of stuff you can put back there. All in the name of off-road capability, but...

It's just OK off-road.

One of my biggest concerns about the truck initially were the overall length and wheelbase. From the off-roading I've done, it's not a huge issue, but it's not great either. The crappy breakover angle means scraping the belly quite a bit. Fortunately, the lockers help drag over anything, but tight sections of trails are really difficult to navigate with the length. 3 point turns aren't always practical, yet need to be executed to get the long ass wheelbase around trees, rocks, etc. At times, it feels like you're spending more time trying to navigate the truck around crap than having fun.

A true jack of all trades, master of none.

I love that the truck feels like it's ready to do absolutely anything. I spent over a month straight with the top and doors removed this summer, and I loved driving it like that to pick up plants, lumber, and truck stuff. Made mundane boring tasks fun and no other vehicle can really do that. We took it camping with the top off, and that just made the experience even more enjoyable being so immersed in nature. People also absolutely love it, tons of comments on the truck itself, the color, and the overall fun feeling it exudes. It's a truck 5 year old me would have built out of Legos, and that feeling of youth is what makes the truck so endearing. Getting rid of it for a Ram kind of feels like growing up, and I'm not sure how I'll feel about that.
:pouroneout:

It's been fun :doe: and you can always get another in a year's time if you miss it.
:dat: will be a really good test.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

It sucks for you losing your orange :dedong:, but on a personal note I'm interested in your review of this truck. In one month I will be adding a single underground parking lane, and this thing is LONG.....like two Power Wagon's worth of long. I'm thinking of going :truckyeah:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:18 pm It sucks for you losing your orange :dedong:, but on a personal note I'm interested in your review of this truck. In one month I will be adding a single underground parking lane, and this thing is LONG.....like two Power Wagon's worth of long. I'm thinking of going :truckyeah:
Well, not sure you want a poverty spec Tradesman, but I've driven a few Big Horns and Laramies so far, and they're nicer than a truck has any right to be. Curious to see how cheap the Tradesman will feel, I suspect it'll be surprisingly :notbad: because the base truck itself is so good.

I'm even more curious about the 3.6. I know everyone wants to swing dicks with a HEMI, but how adequate is the 3.6 REALLY? I went back and forth on selecting the HEMI (was a $20/mo increase), but I'm really just curious more than anything, and will be interesting to see fuel economy. The V6 Tradesman is the most fuel efficient Ram, and if it's dangerously slow, I only have to deal with it for a year. A dude I work with has a 3.6 Big Horn and said it still surprises him how :notbad: it is, and he reported MPG in the 23-25 range on the highway which is :mindblown: if real. That FE improvement will add up if I do 20k miles in a year.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:38 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:18 pm It sucks for you losing your orange :dedong:, but on a personal note I'm interested in your review of this truck. In one month I will be adding a single underground parking lane, and this thing is LONG.....like two Power Wagon's worth of long. I'm thinking of going :truckyeah:
Well, not sure you want a poverty spec Tradesman, but I've driven a few Big Horns and Laramies so far, and they're nicer than a truck has any right to be. Curious to see how cheap the Tradesman will feel, I suspect it'll be surprisingly :notbad: because the base truck itself is so good.

I'm even more curious about the 3.6. I know everyone wants to swing dicks with a HEMI, but how adequate is the 3.6 REALLY? I went back and forth on selecting the HEMI (was a $20/mo increase), but I'm really just curious more than anything, and will be interesting to see fuel economy. The V6 Tradesman is the most fuel efficient Ram, and if it's dangerously slow, I only have to deal with it for a year. A dude I work with has a 3.6 Big Horn and said it still surprises him how :notbad: it is, and he reported MPG in the 23-25 range on the highway which is :mindblown: if real. That FE improvement will add up if I do 20k miles in a year.
Interested in all. Also curious as to just how poverty spec the Tradesman really is.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:40 pm

Interested in all. Also curious as to just how poverty spec the Tradesman really is.
From a feature standpoint, it's pretty bad. Has cruise control, and that's about it. Going to test Griff's theory that Android Auto is worthless with a phone mount, the :jalepenis: 5" screen will be interesting, along with the base audio. My ass and hands might freeze off without remote start or heated seats OR STEERING WHEEL :triggered: and I'll need to pull the keyfob out of my pocket to unlock the truck because there's no proximity entry. None of it will matter though because I'm going to crash and die the first night I drive it because of the halogen headlights and no fog lights.

Yet somehow I can add a rear LOCKER, complete underbody protection, a small lift, and 32" AT tires to that. Pretty unique truck that should prove how bad/good the base Ram is and how much is lipstick with fancy giant screens, leather, and materials.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:02 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:40 pm

From a feature standpoint, it's pretty bad. Has cruise control, and that's about it. Going to test Griff's theory that Android Auto is worthless with a phone mount, the :jalepenis: 5" screen will be interesting, along with the base audio. My ass and hands might freeze off without remote start or heated seats OR STEERING WHEEL :triggered: and I'll need to pull the keyfob out of my pocket to unlock the truck because there's no proximity entry. None of it will matter though because I'm going to crash and die the first night I drive it because of the halogen headlights and no fog lights.

Yet somehow I can add a rear LOCKER, complete underbody protection, a small lift, and 32" AT tires to that. Pretty unique truck that should prove how bad/good the base Ram is and how much is lipstick with fancy giant screens, leather, and materials.
Nothing on that list makes me want to kill myself. As long as it has electric windows.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:05 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:02 pm

Nothing on that list makes me want to kill myself. As long as it has electric windows.
Power windows (even a power rear window), power locks with remote keyless entry, it's really just the necessities.

Funny thing is to get a Gladiator with those features, it costs more than the basic Ram.
max225

I am making due with 2.4 liters of 140hp fury, you'll manage 300hp just fine.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:08 pm

I'm not at all concerned about it. Especially with the 8 speed.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:46 pm

It's not like you're towing your offshore racing boat.
max225

4 speeds here and I got this bitch to 100mph
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:17 pm
4 speeds here and I got this bitch to 100mph
:butwhy:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Yea, the Pentastar in my loner Charger was legit decent. Revvy, decent torque and powah, sounded good, smooth, mid 20's in (sub)urban driving. :notbad: at all.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

On Friday, we went to grab dinner with a buddy. He's got some modified mid-90's Audi thing with a 5 banger and big ass turbro. He never drives the car, but did on Friday and when we decided to go back to his house to chill, :tits: wanted to ride with him.

The result "we should get another fun car, it's so much fun!"

:rolleyes: I kind of went off about her stupid aversion to 3 cars and how she's basically made it impossible to have a fun car and she's killed my interest in cars. I think I made her feel a bit bad, but some venting needed to be done.

Trying to figure out how to convince her that buying JP's STI is a great idea. That thing would be so stupid fun up here, I just wish timing was better.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:10 pm On Friday, we went to grab dinner with a buddy. He's got some modified mid-90's Audi thing with a 5 banger and big ass turbro. He never drives the car, but did on Friday and when we decided to go back to his house to chill, :tits: wanted to ride with him.

:rolleyes: I kind of went off about her stupid aversion to 3 cars and how she's basically made it impossible to have a fun car and she's killed my interest in cars. I think I made her feel a bit bad, but some venting needed to be done.

Trying to figure out how to convince her that buying JP's STI is a great idea. That thing would be so stupid fun up here, I just wish timing was better.
Isn’t the house thing done by now?
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:10 pm On Friday, we went to grab dinner with a buddy. He's got some modified mid-90's Audi thing with a 5 banger and big ass turbro. He never drives the car, but did on Friday and when we decided to go back to his house to chill, :tits: wanted to ride with him.

LMK if you want it. I have been putting off the Carvana sale but it needs to happen because it's just burning money at this point.

Realistic list of what's "wrong" with the car:
-Driver's side door was painted due to motorcycle crash
-Rear bumper has some scuff marks from a bicycle crash (seriously) and the bottom corner of the rear light is broken a hair, but not up to the seal so it isn't leaking or anything. Noticeable only really at the 5 foot distance.
-Could use new OEM front brake pads because the dollar bin specials aren't so fantastic. Front rotors are Chinesium and likely fine but are showing surface rust.
-Could use an alignment I think. It's never had one, and has been pounding around in pothole heaven all its life.
-Just realized this yesterday, it's shaking a bit at speeds over 80. Not sure if that's just temporary flat spots on the tires from not driving it, or if that's something else. The front right tire was replaced due to a nail, maybe it wasn't balanced super well.

That's about it... Glad to take any pictures / videos / whatever of it that you'd want. 15k miles, 2017, never let me down, nothign at all has broken on it, been super dependable. Averaging 17 MPG, it'll get up to around 24-26 on the highway. And of course it has a winter wheelset.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:12 pm

LMK if you want it. I have been putting off the Carvana sale but it needs to happen because it's just burning money at this point.

-Rear bumper has some scuff marks from a bicycle crash (seriously) and the bottom corner of the rear light is broken a hair, but not up to the seal so it isn't leaking or anything. Noticeable only really at the 5 foot distance.
-Could use new OEM front brake pads because the dollar bin specials aren't so fantastic. Front rotors are Chinesium and likely fine but are showing surface rust.
-Could use an alignment I think. It's never had one, and has been pounding around in pothole heaven all its life.
-Just realized this yesterday, it's shaking a bit at speeds over 80. Not sure if that's just temporary flat spots on the tires from not driving it, or if that's something else. The front right tire was replaced due to a nail, maybe it wasn't balanced super well.

That's about it... Glad to take any pictures / videos / whatever of it that you'd want. 15k miles, 2017, never let me down, nothign at all has broken on it, been super dependable. Averaging 17 MPG, it'll get up to around 24-26 on the highway. And of course it has a winter wheelset.
And he can come pick the whip up in the tradesman and a rental Uhaul trailer.

:fuckyeah:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225

I do think that she has a bit too much say here. :whocares: if you have 2 or 3 cars. If it makes you
Happy you tell her that. And if she doesn’t agree she can live on the streets solo, you make the money in the family.
ChrisoftheNorth

Thanks dude! Any idea if the paint work hit Carfox?

This is really the perfect answer for me having a fun car in this area...
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:46 pm

I do think that she has a bit too much say here. :whocares: if you have 2 or 3 cars. If it makes you
Happy you tell her that. And if she doesn’t agree she can live on the streets solo, you make the money in the family.
The challenge I have is how much it'll actually make me happy or not. As I mentioned, I don't drive anywhere, I don't NEED a car at all. I'm the bread winner, but at the end of the day, I'm the :scrooge: of the two of us. Trying to preserve as much cash as possible so I can quit my job when I need to.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:26 am

Thanks dude! Any idea if the paint work hit Carfox?

This is really the perfect answer for me having a fun car in this area...
Not sure. In the past, with the GTI, this shop hasn't dinged the fox. It didn't come up on autocheck, Carvana did the check on it and said it was clean. So I have no clue.

Just as an FYI, it's about as fast as a tuned MK6 GTI. It's nowhere near as fast as your vette.