Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:08 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:59 am I also never wear real clothes anymore, so I am more OK with owning more fitness shit as it's what I actual use. Basically fitness shit each morning and then khaki/chino type shorts and a tee or polo during the work day. I don't think I've put on jeans in six months, let alone any nicer pants.
Yeah I have a closet full of probably $3000 in dress clothes and I haven't worn any of it in years. Ironing is a PITA waste of time.

I was thinking about just putting on some regular pants over the bike shorts and realized that I don't own a single pair of pants that is in any way suited for anything athletic. I have jeans and dress pants, that's it. I've never exercised outdoors during winter, this is all new to me.
You also really need tight/form fitting pants as the chain will rub anything else. I have that ugly chain guard Eric made fun of and even so, when I wore jeans/khakis to commute, I'd still end up with a bit of grease on them. I don't wear baggy stuff either, but it isn't quite tights level.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:57 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:10 pm

:like: Will check these items. Don't remember striking the deerailleur but IDK.
Its an indexed shifter, so tension on the shift lever itself is mostly irrelevant. The indexing on the Superbe Pro set was good but not super perfect, it's a bit sensitive. This was the first indexed group from Suntour (indexed = clicks into gear instead of a shift lever that is friction based and doesn't have set gear detents).

To re-set the wheel, open the rear quick release lever on the hub with the bike upright. Put a bit of weight on the saddle, pull the wheel farther into the dropouts, and then re-tighten it. The lever should be tight enough to leave a mark on your palm when you close it. Not he-man tight, but not going anywhere tight.

Flip the bike upside down. Lube the cable where it enters the housing and where it passes over the bottom bracket (crankset) area, as these are high friction areas that can booger up the way a bike shifts. Turn the pedals and try to idenfity where the interruption is happening. You may need an extra set of hands to hold the brake a bit while you pedal to put some resistance on it. If its happening at the back end, note which way the dreailleur/chain is skipping. If it's skipping down to a harder (smaller number of teeth) cog and then back up to where it should be, give the barrel adjuster on the rear shift cable a quarter turn out. If it's skipping up the cogs to an easier (higher number of teeth) cog, give the barrel adjuster a quarter turn in. It can be any barrel adjuster on that shift cable, I believe there is one at the derailleur itself, and one on the back end of the shift lever. Note that after each adjustment you should turn the cranks for a bit and cycle up/down the gears and back to the one that was causing problems.

If it's just a pop in the cranks with no discernible cable movement, it could be the chain is worn or the chainrings are worn. I forget what the chain measurement is, and I'm too exhausted to look it up. Sheldon Brown's website has a ton of great resources on this.

You can also degrease the chain and re-lube with chain lube (not WD-40!). A citrus based degreaser generally will work well. Any chain lube is good.

A shop will be able to diagnose this really quickly and repair it cheaply (like $25 ish), but at least these are some things you can do on your own. A shop can check alignment of the derailleur hanger. Nice thing with steel bikes, if it's bent, they just bend it back. But it's probably just cable tension related. I remember that bike needing tinkering every so often with the cable tension.
Wealth of information here. TY. Such a resource for bike newbs. I left it in a single gear for my ride this morning and had zero issues. Gonna sort through this message with the bike next weekend.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:30 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:57 pm

Its an indexed shifter, so tension on the shift lever itself is mostly irrelevant. The indexing on the Superbe Pro set was good but not super perfect, it's a bit sensitive. This was the first indexed group from Suntour (indexed = clicks into gear instead of a shift lever that is friction based and doesn't have set gear detents).

To re-set the wheel, open the rear quick release lever on the hub with the bike upright. Put a bit of weight on the saddle, pull the wheel farther into the dropouts, and then re-tighten it. The lever should be tight enough to leave a mark on your palm when you close it. Not he-man tight, but not going anywhere tight.

Flip the bike upside down. Lube the cable where it enters the housing and where it passes over the bottom bracket (crankset) area, as these are high friction areas that can booger up the way a bike shifts. Turn the pedals and try to idenfity where the interruption is happening. You may need an extra set of hands to hold the brake a bit while you pedal to put some resistance on it. If its happening at the back end, note which way the dreailleur/chain is skipping. If it's skipping down to a harder (smaller number of teeth) cog and then back up to where it should be, give the barrel adjuster on the rear shift cable a quarter turn out. If it's skipping up the cogs to an easier (higher number of teeth) cog, give the barrel adjuster a quarter turn in. It can be any barrel adjuster on that shift cable, I believe there is one at the derailleur itself, and one on the back end of the shift lever. Note that after each adjustment you should turn the cranks for a bit and cycle up/down the gears and back to the one that was causing problems.

If it's just a pop in the cranks with no discernible cable movement, it could be the chain is worn or the chainrings are worn. I forget what the chain measurement is, and I'm too exhausted to look it up. Sheldon Brown's website has a ton of great resources on this.

You can also degrease the chain and re-lube with chain lube (not WD-40!). A citrus based degreaser generally will work well. Any chain lube is good.

A shop will be able to diagnose this really quickly and repair it cheaply (like $25 ish), but at least these are some things you can do on your own. A shop can check alignment of the derailleur hanger. Nice thing with steel bikes, if it's bent, they just bend it back. But it's probably just cable tension related. I remember that bike needing tinkering every so often with the cable tension.
Wealth of information here. TY. Such a resource for bike newbs. I left it in a single gear for my ride this morning and had zero issues. Gonna sort through this message with the bike next weekend.
In that case it’s most likely a cable adjustment.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:59 am I did my first ride clipped in yesterday. It's funny how I was intimidated by this, it is not even remotely hard. I did fall over in the car port after finishing the ride as I pulled in and just forgot :lolol: Fortunately I put my hand out fast enough to stop my body and bike from smashing into my car.

Funny enough, this was my slowest ride in months... but I don't really think it was due to the pedals, I was just sort of more relaxed and went out for 44 miles or so after doing a bunch of yard work so I was already a bit worn out I guess. All in all though, the pedals do help and I enjoyed it. I'm not convinced that I'd want them on a mountain bike :doe:
Everyone does the stopped or low speed parking lot fall.

Now learn how to bunny hop and ride over logs.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:17 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:08 pm

Yeah I have a closet full of probably $3000 in dress clothes and I haven't worn any of it in years. Ironing is a PITA waste of time.

I was thinking about just putting on some regular pants over the bike shorts and realized that I don't own a single pair of pants that is in any way suited for anything athletic. I have jeans and dress pants, that's it. I've never exercised outdoors during winter, this is all new to me.
You also really need tight/form fitting pants as the chain will rub anything else. I have that ugly chain guard Eric made fun of and even so, when I wore jeans/khakis to commute, I'd still end up with a bit of grease on them. I don't wear baggy stuff either, but it isn't quite tights level.
Good point. I don't think I have ever been on a bike in anything other than shorts. Looks like it's time for some leggings.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:49 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:59 am I did my first ride clipped in yesterday. It's funny how I was intimidated by this, it is not even remotely hard. I did fall over in the car port after finishing the ride as I pulled in and just forgot :lolol: Fortunately I put my hand out fast enough to stop my body and bike from smashing into my car.

Funny enough, this was my slowest ride in months... but I don't really think it was due to the pedals, I was just sort of more relaxed and went out for 44 miles or so after doing a bunch of yard work so I was already a bit worn out I guess. All in all though, the pedals do help and I enjoyed it. I'm not convinced that I'd want them on a mountain bike :doe:

I can bunny hop no prob with my flat studded pedals on my MTB. I feel like my Raleigh tires will explode if I hop :lolol:
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:21 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:49 pm

I can bunny hop no prob with my flat studded pedals on my MTB. I feel like my Raleigh tires will explode if I hop :lolol:
Jump manhole covers to start. It'll handle it.
troyguitar

It was a little warmer today (63?) but a lot more windy, I tried doubling up my shirts and that helped a little. Nose was still runny the whole damn time.

I still can in no way hold the right body position for any length of time. Dunno how many fucking hours of practice and stretching and yoga it's supposed to take. How many years did you guys have to ride before it wasn't torture? My whole torso, from the lower back up to the neck, is pretty much sore 100% of the time.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:42 pm Also, I took advantage of the Roka challenge code finally, should’ve done this a long time ago. Ordered a pair of their SL-1 glasses. I got tired of trying to look through the frame of my Native glasses.

They’re fantastic. It’s so nice not having a frame on the top or bottom.

Dem flowing gold Fabio locks...
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

[user not found] wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:46 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:19 pm

I didn’t have any PTSD, which was good.

Still can’t get the palm of my hand flat enough to hold the bars, and the elbow is at a weird angle. I’ll do what I can to keep working on it but it’s not looking good.
As in you can’t angle your hand down?

Keep at it man.
If you saw wifey's IG/FB story you could see how twisted up I am.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

It's too bad cycling glasses have to all be so ugly :lolol:

I had another slow ride today. I think that I have the cleats too far forward and that is one thing, I also feel like my saddle seems a tad too low now. I need to tweak some fitment things and I think it'll be better. I still do enjoy the more controlled feel being clipped in, I'm sure the improvement will come when I get it full figured out.

I also think my legs are just beat, I will probably rest them up this weekend since I'll be down at Roebling Road doing HPDE all weekend anyway. I'll ride Thursday morning and let them rest until Monday morning.

I crossed over 2K miles of riding on this morning's outing though, pretty cool feeling. The weather was amazing for it.
troyguitar

I'm finally getting back to the speed I was in July, ~17 mph on the flats at ~160 bpm. Also found a men's XS jersey to try. It's a little short but at least isn't so damn baggy, though the arms and chest are still a little loose. Guess I'll try women's sizes next. :whocares:

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:55 pm I'm finally getting back to the speed I was in July, ~17 mph on the flats at ~160 bpm. Also found a men's XS jersey to try. It's a little short but at least isn't so damn baggy, though the arms and chest are still a little loose. Guess I'll try women's sizes next. :whocares:

Pretty much every shirt I own is short like that :disappoint: It is an issue with being tall/long torso but not fat. I find it so odd that our sizing assumes you automatically get fatter as you get taller.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

So I was bleeding my brakes on the Whorbea and somehow I stripped the bleeder bolt on the right/rear lever. I suppose this means I need an entire new lever? :disgust: I don't understand how I did it, just finger tightening things but there were pieces of metal thread when I backed it back out and nothing will tighten in there now.

Also, I need to get new :225: for the wife's bike. Current are some Bontrager Comfort 26X1.95. They are pretty well worn down, probably OE from 15 years ago. She complains that it has no grip in gravel/sand so something better for that would be nice. I'd love to see lower rolling resistance as well so she is maybe slightly quicker.
troyguitar

I grabbed those Tifosi photochromic glasses and they seem pretty good so far. Used them yesterday in full sun and, while they are nowhere near as dark as sun glasses, they were dark enough to take the edge off. Used them today in overcast dark clouds plus rain and they beat the hell out of sunglasses or my regular prescription glasses. They look dumb but :ohwell:

Here's my audition shot to take Bono's place in U2.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I have also come to the conclusion that I need to get a proper bike stand. The brake bleeding ghetto-spec was pretty lame.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:45 pm I grabbed those Tifosi photochromic glasses and they seem pretty good so far. Used them yesterday in full sun and, while they are nowhere near as dark as sun glasses, they were dark enough to take the edge off. Used them today in overcast dark clouds plus rain and they beat the hell out of sunglasses or my regular prescription glasses. They look dumb but :ohwell:

Here's my audition shot to take Bono's place in U2.
Dang, I kind of want these now... they are just sooo fugly. :notsure:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:48 pm I have also come to the conclusion that I need to get a proper bike stand. The brake bleeding ghetto-spec was pretty lame.
Bikehand Bike Repair Stand (Max 55 lbs) - Home Portable Bicycle Mechanics Workstand - for Mountain Bikes and Road Bikes Maintenance https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D9B7OKQ/re ... yFbKTW0JN7

I bought this in 2016 and it’s served me well. Folds up nicely and hides away.
troyguitar

Well I got some gloves and toe covers from Pearl today, looks like both will fit well so that's a start. I'm still going to need some kind of jacket. What's good?

Apparently I'm looking at having various base layer shirts with jerseys and/or a jacket over them depending on conditions. Maybe even an additional lightweight rain/snow shell to throw on top. :iono:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:21 pm Well I got some gloves and toe covers from Pearl today, looks like both will fit well so that's a start. I'm still going to need some kind of jacket. What's good?

Apparently I'm looking at having various base layer shirts with jerseys and/or a jacket over them depending on conditions. Maybe even an additional lightweight rain/snow shell to throw on top. :iono:
I have a thin, form fitting lightweight wind breaker I use in the fall and spring on the MTB. It folds down to about the size of a clenched fist.

Do you have any pants/tights yet?
troyguitar

I have one pair of leggings ready to try. Women's small fits perfectly and is at least too warm to wear indoors, we'll see how it feels outdoors when it's cold. :datass:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075F ... UTF8&psc=1

Looks like the internet claims that Castelli Alpha RoS is "the" fall/winter/spring jacket to buy but it's also almost $400... :notsure:

I guess if I wear the thing 150 times a year it could be worth it, dunno about fit :doe:
troyguitar

Prices must have gone up since 2008. The good Giordana jacket costs even more than the Castelli one:

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/gior ... F0MTAwMTk3

Keep in mind that what works for you is not likely to be anywhere near enough for me:

It's much colder here, with more freezing downhill sections on top of that.

You put out twice as much power as me or more, giving you WAY more internal heating.

You have a higher tolerance for cold in general and more thermal mass.

You have a significantly more aerodynamic position on the bike and thus get less chilled by the wind.
troyguitar

Your warmup lasts almost as long as my entire ride :doe: - I'm targeting 45 minutes a day.

Sure I might get warm by the end, but I don't want to be miserable for most of the ride. Today was sunny and 60 but still freezing with a brutal wind out of the North. The Pearl gloves helped significantly but the toe covers were not enough, I definitely need better socks :doe: since my feet started out wet and stayed that way.

I tend to get sweaty and cold feet for no reason, even just sitting on the couch. :disgust:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

troyguitar wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:55 pm I'm finally getting back to the speed I was in July, ~17 mph on the flats at ~160 bpm. Also found a men's XS jersey to try. It's a little short but at least isn't so damn baggy, though the arms and chest are still a little loose. Guess I'll try women's sizes next. :whocares:
Love the hair! I sense James May vibes.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
troyguitar

New shoes/boots probably makes sense, I got the neoprene toe covers though I'm :notsure: whether they're really doing anything. I need to see what's out there for SPD winter boots.