Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:11 pm New Z is badass, all of it is Desert approved, including giant flexpiece L88 hood for stuffing all those GREDDY BOOST pieces under it. Much fast, very furious.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:03 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:31 am https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-hy ... ok-review/

Base engine - 2.5 natty 4 (190 HP, 182 lb-ft) / 8AT
Upgrade - 1.6T (180 HP, 195 lb-ft) / 8AT
Hybrid - 1.6T and electric motor (230 HP, 258 lbft)/ 6AT

I think it looks pretty great, and that hybrid sounds enticing if the specs are true. The H/K hybrid system seems to deliver quite good driving dynamics with excellent fuel economy.
Side profile looks good.
Rear taillights kinda reminds me of the electric mustang cuv rear end
Front end is fugly, maybe aquaire a look that’s roughly similar to kona would’ve probably be fine.
Engine and trans selections look good, atleast we won’t have another crappy CVT CUV
I mean, sure the Z isn't a great city car... but this Hyundai thing... it looks exactly like 57 other offerings already existing in this segment. Hyundai/Kia alone already have at least 10 crossovers for sale. :whocares:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:23 pm

Side profile looks good.
Front end is fugly, maybe aquaire a look that’s roughly similar to kona would’ve probably be fine.
Engine and trans selections look good, atleast we won’t have another crappy CVT CUV
I mean, sure the Z isn't a great city car... but this Hyundai thing... it looks exactly like 57 other offerings already existing in this segment. Hyundai/Kia alone already have at least 10 crossovers for sale. :whocares:
Yeah its impossible to keep track of.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Desertbreh wrote:New Z is badass, all of it is Desert approved, including giant flexpiece L88 hood for stuffing all those GREDDY BOOST pieces under it. Much fast, very furious.
I don't hate it. In fact if the hatch is big enough then it could be in the top 3 for my next car, but that's 5+ years out. I'm already tired of the tiny trunk opening on my car, this will be the last time I buy something like that. It's either going to be a hatch or a huge trunk from here on out.

The pearl yellow plus yellow interior accents is :fuckyeah:
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

troyguitar wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:55 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote:

Once a bro opens a :tuna: most of us will only see it from the rear anyways, which looks quite nice.
The black hood kind of helps to hide how tall it is... :impressive:
It's another nice throwback.
Also, from this angle the headlights are a nice homage as well.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Is the image thing not working for anyone else?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:04 pm Is the image thing not working for anyone else?
It is for me... you're not seeing any images?
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Side profile looks good.
How many midsize hybrid poverty badge crossovers are on the market? This is a competitor to 3, the Rav4, CRV, and Fraud Escape. IMO it sounds superior to all of them. I’m not “excited” about it. I can appreciate a new vehicle that challenges the best in segment.

The Z looks fine. It’s not a remarkable design. But probably good to drive and fast. Would be cool to own. It’s not relevant to me right now though.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Sorry for the quality they're screenshots from YouTube.

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

The Hyundai Tucson is a nicely designed CuteUV. I like what their design team is doing.

The Z is pretty awesome looking but I dislike a few styling cues, primarily the square cut out in the grill, it's not a show stopper but a little weak.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:32 pm

How many midsize hybrid poverty badge crossovers are on the market? This is a competitor to 3, the Rav4, CRV, and Fraud Escape. IMO it sounds superior to all of them. I’m not “excited” about it. I can appreciate a new vehicle that challenges the best in segment.

The Z looks fine. It’s not a remarkable design. But probably good to drive and fast. Would be cool to own. It’s not relevant to me right now though.
:word: Slanty H and Kia are doing a good job now, I have really enjoyed the ones I've driven from the last year or two, they really were dull previously. They seem to have a competitive vehicle in every segment so this will no doubt be the same.

I still want the Z :doe: , it looks dope to me.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Tarspin wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:37 pm The Hyundai Tucson is a nicely designed CuteUV. I like what their design team is doing.

The Z is pretty awesome looking but I dislike a few styling cues, primarily the square cut out in the grill, it's not a show stopper but a little weak.
Where I get stuck is I’d have a very hard time picking it over a camaro SS. Wonder what the price will be. Price combined with uncompetitive power figures to domestics is what killed the Japanese sports cars last time.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:47 pm
Tarspin wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:37 pm The Hyundai Tucson is a nicely designed CuteUV. I like what their design team is doing.

Where I get stuck is I’d have a very hard time picking it over a camaro SS. Wonder what the price will be. Price combined with uncompetitive power figures to domestics is what killed the Japanese sports cars last time.
They have reliability going for them, but Nissan isn't exactly a poster child for that.

If it can pump out 400hp at the crank then that's more then plenty of power to play with the big boys. I've always loved the 300zx, and owned a 240sx as a kid. I'd be interested in a beat up third owner spec for shits and giggles. I have no money for new, heck I won't even :wasteful: on a used MR2 which is 1/3 the price right now. Need time to regroup after the last year of chaos. Let's say I were looking at one of these for 20k used and a Camaro in the same price range, I'd probably get this.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:55 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:47 pm

They have reliability going for them, but Nissan isn't exactly a poster child for that.

If it can pump out 400hp at the crank then that's more then plenty of power to play with the big boys. I've always loved the 300zx, and owned a 240sx as a kid. I'd be interested in a beat up third owner spec for shits and giggles. I have no money for new, heck I won't even :wasteful: on a used MR2 which is 1/3 the price right now. Need time to regroup after the last year of chaos. Let's say I were looking at one of these for 20k used and a Camaro in the same price range, I'd probably get this.
The 3900lbs infiniti with this engine does the 1/4mi in 13.0 @109mph. If this car is under 3500lbs it'll be properly quick.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

It should be right around 3500-3600lbs if I had to guess
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Side profile looks good.
:dat: one thing I love being in Turkey is that cuv's are almost as rare as v6 accords, Which is refreshing. Now that they equip it with 1.4-1.6 engines, it started to grow. Also the tiguan and crv starts at $37k so theres also that.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:12 pm It should be right around 3500-3600lbs if I had to guess
I'm hoping Nissan can keep it down near the Supra's 3400lbs, but we'll see. I can't wait to see this car in a nice bloo

I should miss a few CC payments so I can get that Nissan financing
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:39 am
max225 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:12 pm It should be right around 3500-3600lbs if I had to guess
I'm hoping Nissan can keep it down near the Supra's 3400lbs, but we'll see. I can't wait to see this car in a nice bloo

:lolol:
max225

My 2012 Z was around 3400# and it was non turbo and it was lacking shit like fender liners/hood liners. I highly doubt it'll be sub 3500. Weight has always been a Z platform issue.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:40 am

My 2012 Z was around 3400# and it was non turbo and it was lacking shit like fender liners/hood liners. I highly doubt it'll be sub 3500. Weight has always been a Z platform issue.
Yeah, I think you're correct.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

The weight might surprise some people. There's been a lot of progress made in material engineering and lightweighting since the 370 was engineered/produced. And to keep a sports car viable, FE is critically important and weight is a big part of that.

It might also be a heffer, so who knows.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:35 am The weight might surprise some people. There's been a lot of progress made in material engineering and lightweighting since the 370 was engineered/produced. And to keep a sports car viable, FE is critically important and weight is a big part of that.

Nissan spent so much money trying to lighten the last gen Z also... I am honestly puzzled why it was that heavy.
The 370Z features a front aluminum subframe, aluminum-alloy engine cradle, aluminum door panels, an all-aluminum hood, and an aluminum hatch
The 370Z uses a front double wishbone suspension, with forged aluminum control arms and steering knuckle. The rear multi-link suspension uses a forged aluminum upper control arm, lower arm and radius rod, the toe control rod is steel and wheel carrier assembly is aluminum
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:49 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:35 am The weight might surprise some people. There's been a lot of progress made in material engineering and lightweighting since the 370 was engineered/produced. And to keep a sports car viable, FE is critically important and weight is a big part of that.

Nissan spent so much money trying to lighten the last gen Z also... I am honestly puzzled why it was that heavy.
The 370Z features a front aluminum subframe, aluminum-alloy engine cradle, aluminum door panels, an all-aluminum hood, and an aluminum hatch
The 370Z uses a front double wishbone suspension, with forged aluminum control arms and steering knuckle. The rear multi-link suspension uses a forged aluminum upper control arm, lower arm and radius rod, the toe control rod is steel and wheel carrier assembly is aluminum
What's the body and structure made out of? There's still opportunity there with higher strength (and thus thinner/lighter weight), but that's pricey. Will be interesting to see.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

It will be cool to learn more. I think bringing it in sub Supra would be :impressive: and make it a pretty unique offering. $40K, 400 hp and 3200 pounds with :manuel: would be unlike anything else.

If you really want the ultimate in performance for the money, Johnny is right, the Camaro kinda rules (Mustangs too). For some people though, a hatchback plus a smaller/lighter car makes a big difference.

This is why I prefer the Corvette to the Mustang/Camaro - it is effectively a more usable car for daily other than scrape, while also offering better fuel economy, lower consumables use on track, and is more fun on small back roads because, while still large, it isn't THAT large.

If the Z can basically be a modern C6/C7 Corvette for $40K,I think it will do fine. I personally like the look of it more and would rather "be seen" in a Z than a 'vette, not that I care that much.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:51 am
max225 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:49 am

What's the body and structure made out of? There's still opportunity there with higher strength (and thus thinner/lighter weight), but that's pricey. Will be interesting to see.
chinese steel, same as everything else. But I am just sharing the info, and how much went into the last gen Z. I really REALLY liked that car.