Northern MI Cucklyfe: Floating Garage Edition

Strut your greasy stuff!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:24 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:22 pm

I think he's working on some CUV mom wagon thing.
There's clear market demand for it, and you'll see it everywhere, I just couldn't care less about a vehicle. It does look good :doe:
It sounds radically different I like it
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:08 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:24 pm
There's clear market demand for it, and you'll see it everywhere, I just couldn't care less about a vehicle. It does look good :doe:
It sounds radically different I like it
:lolol:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:14 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:38 pm

I don't know why it wouldn't be important? It is the single most noticeable thing about a vehicle's appearance/exterior. I get not caring if the car is a race car or something, but if it's just something you drive around in, liking the way it looks matters. We don't buy clothes, houses, dishes, or anything else that doesn't look good unless we can't afford one we like.
:dat:
Cornhole was a MAJOR reason why I bought the Blue Meanie. Still :wub: it.
But did you buy the Blue Meanie for the same price as you could have bought a new one?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:58 am

But did you buy the Blue Meanie for the same price as you could have bought a new one?
How many miles are on your current rig?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I think it's a silly argument when YOU are the previous owner. If you like the car better (color or any reason for that matter) and really want to keep it long term, what difference does it make? In five years they will still be $40-45K and within a G of each other.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Or the madness will end and they'll both be worth $30K. Either way :whocares:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:06 am Or the madness will end and they'll both be worth $30K. Either way :whocares:
:notwrong:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Naw. It was $21,xxx, OTD at $23,600. A new :gti: is approaching $30k with DSG.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:05 am
I think it's a silly argument when YOU are the previous owner. If you like the car better (color or any reason for that matter) and really want to keep it long term, what difference does it make? In five years they will still be $40-45K and within a G of each other.
:dat: :dat:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:07 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:58 pm I also spent way too much money on a stupid car because I like the stupid color. :fullretard: :plac: :ohwell:
Color is more important to me than it should be.
It's subjective.
It's pretty important to me.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
ChrisoftheNorth

Welp, I've got 30 days until I have to either get a replacement lease, buy it, or give the truck back. Because of house mortgage stuff, I can't really take out a loan or buy it in cash within the next 30 days, so the Whorage Gladiator is leaving no questions. I'm pretty :| , but it makes the decision easier.

I think we're going to go down to just the JL for a while and buy a cheap utility trailer for truck duty. Then hopefully the vehicle market will calm down and I can buy something next spring if I really need it.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:59 am Welp, I've got 30 days until I have to either get a replacement lease, buy it, or give the truck back. Because of house mortgage stuff, I can't really take out a loan or buy it in cash within the next 30 days, so the Whorage Gladiator is leaving no questions. I'm pretty :| , but it makes the decision easier.

I think we're going to go down to just the JL for a while and buy a cheap utility trailer for truck duty. Then hopefully the vehicle market will calm down and I can buy something next spring if I really need it.
Man that sucks some balls. Has it already been that much time ? :yikes:

I mean that was my plan for not getting the taco until buying the house and which is why I bought the mini in cash. However I ended up being way too cautious per usual, we got approval for 2x the final house purchase amount.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:02 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:59 am Welp, I've got 30 days until I have to either get a replacement lease, buy it, or give the truck back. Because of house mortgage stuff, I can't really take out a loan or buy it in cash within the next 30 days, so the Whorage Gladiator is leaving no questions. I'm pretty :| , but it makes the decision easier.

I mean that was my plan for not getting the taco until buying the house and which is why I bought the mini in cash. However I ended up being way too cautious per usual, we got approval for 2x the final house purchase amount.
I guess I have to run some math, but our broker recommended no big moves in credit or cash positions or they'll need to restart the underwriting process. I qualify for a mortgage FAR beyond what we're asking for, but I think where it's tough is we can buy our new house without selling the old one, but we're using that as a last resort. If I buy the truck cash, the bank will go :triggered: at the loss in cash and we'll likely have to start all over again.. This is my 5th mortgage, and by far the hardest I've ever had to work for. Banks are REALLY cracking down hard now, which makes me even more nervous.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:17 pm

I guess I have to run some math, but our broker recommended no big moves in credit or cash positions or they'll need to restart the underwriting process. I qualify for a mortgage FAR beyond what we're asking for, but I think where it's tough is we can buy our new house without selling the old one, but we're using that as a last resort. If I buy the truck cash, the bank will go :triggered: at the loss in cash and we'll likely have to start all over again.. This is my 5th mortgage, and by far the hardest I've ever had to work for. Banks are REALLY cracking down hard now, which makes me even more nervous.
it was a mostly smooth process for us. But I had to really hound those guys to make sure they do their jobs and don't twiddle dumb their way through it. Considering the amounts that they are giving out... it seems like they are NOT cracking down enough IMO. :lol:
One dude did try and say that they may need 30% down which is a huge deal IMO... but others were ok. I am once again shocked at the financial incompetence of the average mortgage broker.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:44 pm
it was a mostly smooth process for us. But I had to really hound those guys to make sure they do their jobs and don't twiddle dumb their way through it. Considering the amounts that they are giving out... it seems like they are NOT cracking down enough IMO. :lol:
One dude did try and say that they may need 30% down which is a huge deal IMO... but others were ok. I am once again shocked at the financial incompetence of the average mortgage broker.
Mortgage brokers are salesmen really. I trust our dude because he has experience getting people mortgages for our exact situation (moving north), but we'll see how it goes. He's on the ball so far, but did claim that our best rate would be with 25% down. House is nearly cheap enough to pay cash for, so IDGAF about the extra 5%...rate is 2.89% for a 30 year fixed, which :mindblown: and also why I don't want to rattle anything with underwriting.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:52 pm

Mortgage brokers are salesmen really. I trust our dude because he has experience getting people mortgages for our exact situation (moving north), but we'll see how it goes. He's on the ball so far, but did claim that our best rate would be with 25% down. House is nearly cheap enough to pay cash for, so IDGAF about the extra 5%...rate is 2.89% for a 30 year fixed, which :mindblown: and also why I don't want to rattle anything with underwriting.
Yea makes sense, our choices were 2.37% for 7/arm or 3.01% for a 30 year fixed. The delta was too big to go 30, they seemed to have been really pushing the ARM loans. :gaydance:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:56 pm
Yea makes sense, our choices were 2.37% for 7/arm or 3.01% for a 30 year fixed. The delta was too big to go 30, they seemed to have been really pushing the ARM loans. :gaydance:
Of course they're pushing ARMs, they don't want to commit to these low rates for a long period. Kind of incredible that the banks are back to this practice.

Another thing that blows my mind...the bank is NOT requiring an appraisal on the new house. :wat: :mindblown:
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:00 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:56 pm

Of course they're pushing ARMs, they don't want to commit to these low rates for a long period. Kind of incredible that the banks are back to this practice.

Another thing that blows my mind...the bank is NOT requiring an appraisal on the new house. :wat: :mindblown:
We had to get one done... Glad to see the practice of buying a house is standardized lol.

I am :notsure: we will be here in 7 years.. plenty of time to move. In your case too, you've never stayed in a place for even 5 years.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Sad to see a car you love go, but it doesn't sound like the worst idea to me given all of the strings attached with mortgages. We could definitely get away with only the Beep Beep right now, I've thought about that to save some cashola as well, but can't really be bothered with offing the 'vette when I enjoy going to the track and stuff with it so much.

You're in a big transition, wouldn't hurt to sit tight for some months and see what needs evolve. Maybe if you end up traveling to Detroit regularly something fuel efficient and fun like a MINI will make more sense.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:05 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:00 pm

We had to get one done... Glad to see the practice of buying a house is standardized lol.

I am :notsure: we will be here in 7 years.. plenty of time to move. In your case too, you've never stayed in a place for even 5 years.
Yea, ARMs make sense for a lot of people, myself included. Our broker claims that ARMs aren't really popular here because mortgages just aren't that big to make a huge difference in monthly so banks aren't too aggressive with them. 30 year fixed is still king especially with rates below 3%. Our mortgage is so cheap, I don't really care if I could save a few dollhairs one way or another.

But when I saw the "appraisal waiver" in the paperwork, I asked the broker and he said that banks around here are starting to do that for people buying below their means in high demand areas. Um, ok? I guess seeing that we could pay cash for the place gives them more confidence? Still seems weird but I don't have to pay for an appraisal, so that's nice.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

This makes the decision a no brainer... so easy button is easy. Orange was good while it lasted, but time to move on.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:09 pm
Sad to see a car you love go, but it doesn't sound like the worst idea to me given all of the strings attached with mortgages. We could definitely get away with only the Beep Beep right now, I've thought about that to save some cashola as well, but can't really be bothered with offing the 'vette when I enjoy going to the track and stuff with it so much.

You're in a big transition, wouldn't hurt to sit tight for some months and see what needs evolve. Maybe if you end up traveling to Detroit regularly something fuel efficient and fun like a MINI will make more sense.

I'd honestly be ok with the JL and a MINI for a while. Still :notsure: about not having a pickup because we use the fucker CONSTANTLY, but I can find some space on our 1.5 acres to store a 5x8 utility trailer, which would provide more utility than a truck bed anyway.

Realistically, we won't NEED two cars for at least another 6 months. I don't remember the last time we NEEDED both vehicles anyway, seems like a monumental waste for now.

For fun, some :scrooge: options I've loosely considered:

Corp lease so these numbers are unlimited miles and include insurance and everything.

Ram Quad Cab Tradesman 4x4 3.6 for $450/mo
Wrangler 2 Door with no options... :manuel: for $360/mo
Or split the difference...
Sport Gladiator with no options but auto (the :manuel: REALLY sucks in the Gladiator) for $440/mo

But buying a current Gen MINI for under $15k is quite appealing.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:17 pm
This makes the decision a no brainer... so easy button is easy. Orange was good while it lasted, but time to move on.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:13 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:05 pm

Yea, ARMs make sense for a lot of people, myself included. Our broker claims that ARMs aren't really popular here because mortgages just aren't that big to make a huge difference in monthly so banks aren't too aggressive with them. 30 year fixed is still king especially with rates below 3%. Our mortgage is so cheap, I don't really care if I could save a few dollhairs one way or another.

But when I saw the "appraisal waiver" in the paperwork, I asked the broker and he said that banks around here are starting to do that for people buying below their means in high demand areas. Um, ok? I guess seeing that we could pay cash for the place gives them more confidence? Still seems weird but I don't have to pay for an appraisal, so that's nice.
Our mortgage broker kinda sucked... but we were never even offered this as an option. It might have been a compelling option as I don't really imagine we will be here in seven years.
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:27 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:13 pm

Our mortgage broker kinda sucked... but we were never even offered this as an option. It might have been a compelling option as I don't really imagine we will be here in seven years.
wow... this is just about the most basic function of their job.