OT 19: Masks On, Clothes Off, Right Hand Left Titty

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:50 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:41 pm

Happens every year 0 sympathy, according to some
Yep, the whole west coast goes up in flames every year.

:notsure:
Wild fires are normal...just not on the scale of this year. Or last year. Or the year before that.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Morning peeps! It was a cool 45 this morning. Took the pupper for a walk in shorts and a tshirt.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:38 am
Apex wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:20 am Morning peeps! It was a cool 45 this morning. Took the pupper for a walk in shorts and a tshirt.
Hey me too!
:sissyfight:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Last year was bad for forest fires on our west coast, also one of the worst ever. It is cooler and generally :moist: if we are comparing British Colombia to Cali. Not really a fair comparo in that way.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:26 am Smoke made it here to PA yesterday. This is sunrise this morning.

It’s supposed to hit Europe by the weekend. The article I read this morning said that usually happens once or twice a year from fires in British Columbia.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:45 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:37 pm

:notwrong: and that’s honestly what I struggle with. Their house is beautiful and they like it/earned it. I have always believed in that and that’s why I’m so torn as I also struggle with the environmental impact of the way we all live.

I don’t care about having a large house, but I love to drive on racetracks and travel and have done both a ton, which are also terrible for the planet.

:notsure:
The environmental impact of the kids is probably 100x worse than their house. Also... all that for 1.5 :foreveralone:
I have no idea what they paid... they bought the lot in 2017, looks like it was $275K. No idea what the cost diff is between a full custom build, but this is the same area/similar house that just sold for $1.5 - https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9008 ... 3271_zpid/

You are :notwrong: about the :baby: Because the :baby: :baby: will just grow up and want/do the same kind of shit. It's just an interesting conundrum. I mean, I don't really want the human race to die, I am not fundamentally against procreation. I am certainly against having large numbers of children... but the US birth rate was actually flat/on a slight decline last time I looked. One huge issue is :disgust: places like India with people churning out 20 kids and having no means to support.

:ohwell: I am in a less pissy mood about all that today. It is what it is. I'll do what I can do. :nuke:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:20 am Morning peeps! It was a cool 45 this morning. Took the pupper for a walk in shorts and a tshirt.
59F this morning with a high of 80F. Perfect day.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:41 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:34 pm
All in moderation. I was actually joking about the bread thing. In fact, I find that living a bit further from things actually results in us driving less and being more resourceful. When it's a 15-20 minute drive to things, we figure out ways to make due and make trips more meaningful in that we wait to do all the errands at once instead of one off. I bet our overall consumption is down compared to stop and go in the city, which is actually worse for GHG emissions and FE.

My truck is getting an indicated 18.5 overall right now, the highest it's ever been. Wife's JL is indicating 26 :mindblown: Very little stop and go and 55mph MAX speed limits will do that.
:word:

I think being mindful is really key. Like, if this trip/purchase/consumption isn't really making a difference in your life and making you happy, don't consume.

I think this has been on my mind so much this week because we went over to visit one of :tits: friends and swim at their new house, and it was just over the top. 5200 square feet, at least 10 TVs, all of this built in pointless shit like speakers everywhere, walk in wine cooler, remote control blinds, massive pool with fountains and water slide, hot tub, like 6-7 bathrooms. All of this in the boonies, they drive over an hour each way to work, and all for two adults and two small children.

I mean, on the one hand, they are self made people who worked for this shit and evidently wanted to spend $1.5 mill for this house, but as we were getting the tour, I just found I was absolutely disgusted by all of it. Maybe it is jealousy? :iono: but I don't think so. Just the amount of shit consumed to build and keep a place like that going is insane to me.
5200 sqft is huge by anyone's standards, and that's a pretty hefty electricity bill when it comes to running A/C or who knows, two A/C units!?! I see what you mean about the waste, 9 extra TVs in the land fill etc while you're looking at which food items have the least amount of packaging. Totally understand it, and I'm disgusted with myself regarding the wasteful shit that happens in my own house, like the way my wife likes to run our A/C and then switches over to heat because it's cold in the morning. Meanwhile she wears a knitted sweater and long pants in the dead of summer while the AC unit screams. I'm fucking raging in my head just thinking about it haha!

I have no negative feels about these rich dodo birds :doe: , people everywhere are making their spaces more comfortable, or trading them for new spaces to suit a WFH/lock down situation if it ever arises. Pool installs are at a record high, and more people look outwards to properties outside of cities. Maybe your :tits: friends will get to enjoy the single family hotel life and ultimately sell it for a heafty profit in a few years?

My post COVID update is a used treadmill, bench and some free weights and I use them all the time. I did buy a house with a pool installed pre-vid and it did save us in the summer when everything including beaches were closed, so maybe I fall into the :wasteful: category by default.

Things get more complicated with one or more :crotchfruit: , especially when they are old enough and need to be active. People like myself take on extra stress to make life normal/fun for them and enjoy the benefits of being with them and having fun. The costs grow, example being something like music is introduced (in my case my kid wants to play the drums, boom a used pearl sits in the corner of the basement.

So space allocation is a real thing and forces me to own at least a three bedroom house with a good sized basement to fit a kit, and a work out area. Some people will call that :wasteful: and say I could do it with a house that is half the foot print and they are probably right. But those people who have half the house can be looked down upon by condo dwellers (no pun intended) who say that a single family dwelling on a large property is not efficient and we should really all share an apartment building with common heating/cooling systems, etc.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

[user not found] wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:43 am To be clear, that bullshit meme is made with a U.S. fire map.

All you have to do is look at a Canadian one and... Shocker! They are having the same issue we are.

http://globalnews.ca/news/7286199/b-c-w ... -map-2020/
I'm aware, but it is funny.

Happens every year, nothing to see here... But OMG, I can't believe the low landers are going to be in risk from the hurricane, that never happens!! They had no idea this could happen!

Guys getting the information from the news from 3000 miles away from the story know best. :yeahok:

There's shit going on here the news does not want to talk about.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:13 am
[user not found] wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:43 am To be clear, that bullshit meme is made with a U.S. fire map.

All you have to do is look at a Canadian one and... Shocker! They are having the same issue we are.

http://globalnews.ca/news/7286199/b-c-w ... -map-2020/
I'm aware, but it is funny.

Happens every year, nothing to see here... But OMG, I can't believe the low landers are going to be in risk from the hurricane, that never happens!! They had no idea this could happen!

Guys getting the information from the news from 3000 miles away from the story know best. :yeahok:

There's shit going on here the news does not want to talk about.
I talk to at least 60 people per week in CA and every one of them is telling me that this has never been seen before and it is truly terrible :iono:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

[user not found] wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:23 am Also, get the fuck out of here with conspiracy shit. The news would LOVE to talk about it if it was true because all they care about is ratings. Can you imagine how much money they would make to be the ones to break the scandal of the big scary millennials off setting fires?

Shut the fuck up with that and use some logic. Conspiracies are for the weak that are too afraid to admit the world is far more simple and far more random than we want it to feel.

It's just like 9/11 conspiracies. People don't want to admit that it's as simple as someone wants to kill you one day so they fly a plane into your office. It was literally that simple. Shit happens. The end.
It is not, but thanks for telling me to shut the fuck up to attempt to silence an opposing opinion.

Dude, I really like you but lately your posts are going crazy with your ego of knowing everything. "Period"... You use that a lot for your opinions. Think about that for a second. Who in the government acts this way and is almost universally hated?

If you really think that your opinion is the only thing that is true, I'm sorry.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:06 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:41 pm

:word:

I think being mindful is really key. Like, if this trip/purchase/consumption isn't really making a difference in your life and making you happy, don't consume.

I think this has been on my mind so much this week because we went over to visit one of :tits: friends and swim at their new house, and it was just over the top. 5200 square feet, at least 10 TVs, all of this built in pointless shit like speakers everywhere, walk in wine cooler, remote control blinds, massive pool with fountains and water slide, hot tub, like 6-7 bathrooms. All of this in the boonies, they drive over an hour each way to work, and all for two adults and two small children.

I mean, on the one hand, they are self made people who worked for this shit and evidently wanted to spend $1.5 mill for this house, but as we were getting the tour, I just found I was absolutely disgusted by all of it. Maybe it is jealousy? :iono: but I don't think so. Just the amount of shit consumed to build and keep a place like that going is insane to me.
5200 sqft is huge by anyone's standards, and that's a pretty hefty electricity bill when it comes to running A/C or who knows, two A/C units!?! I see what you mean about the waste, 9 extra TVs in the land fill etc while you're looking at which food items have the least amount of packaging. Totally understand it, and I'm disgusted with myself regarding the wasteful shit that happens in my own house, like the way my wife likes to run our A/C and then switches over to heat because it's cold in the morning. Meanwhile she wears a knitted sweater and long pants in the dead of summer while the AC unit screams. I'm fucking raging in my head just thinking about it haha!

I have no negative feels about these rich dodo birds :doe: , people everywhere are making their spaces more comfortable, or trading them for new spaces to suit a WFH/lock down situation if it ever arises. Pool installs are at a record high, and more people look outwards to properties outside of cities. Maybe your :tits: friends will get to enjoy the single family hotel life and ultimately sell it for a heafty profit in a few years?

My post COVID update is a used treadmill, bench and some free weights and I use them all the time. I did buy a house with a pool installed pre-vid and it did save us in the summer when everything including beaches were closed, so maybe I fall into the :wasteful: category by default.

Things get more complicated with one or more :crotchfruit: , especially when they are old enough and need to be active. People like myself take on extra stress to make life normal/fun for them and enjoy the benefits of being with them and having fun. The costs grow, example being something like music is introduced (in my case my kid wants to play the drums, boom a used pearl sits in the corner of the basement.

So space allocation is a real thing and forces me to own at least a three bedroom house with a good sized basement to fit a kit, and a work out area. Some people will call that :wasteful: and say I could do it with a house that is half the foot print and they are probably right. But those people who have half the house can be looked down upon by condo dwellers (no pun intended) who say that a single family dwelling on a large property is not efficient and we should really all share an apartment building with common heating/cooling systems, etc.
:notwrong: We could surely just live in a one bedroom apartment and have one car but we have a house (albeit 1100 sq. ft), two cars, a bunch of shit, travel regularly). It is tough to draw the line and what feels so important to one person means nothing to others.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:50 am
max225 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:45 pm
The environmental impact of the kids is probably 100x worse than their house. Also... all that for 1.5 :foreveralone:
I have no idea what they paid... they bought the lot in 2017, looks like it was $275K. No idea what the cost diff is between a full custom build, but this is the same area/similar house that just sold for $1.5 - https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9008 ... 3271_zpid/

You are :notwrong: about the :baby: Because the :baby: :baby: will just grow up and want/do the same kind of shit. It's just an interesting conundrum. I mean, I don't really want the human race to die, I am not fundamentally against procreation. I am certainly against having large numbers of children... but the US birth rate was actually flat/on a slight decline last time I looked. One huge issue is :disgust: places like India with people churning out 20 kids and having no means to support.

:ohwell: I am in a less pissy mood about all that today. It is what it is. I'll do what I can do. :nuke:
The average Indian child will not go on to buy multiple cars and have boba with single use plastic daily
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:30 am
[user not found] wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:23 am Also, get the fuck out of here with conspiracy shit. The news would LOVE to talk about it if it was true because all they care about is ratings. Can you imagine how much money they would make to be the ones to break the scandal of the big scary millennials off setting fires?

Shut the fuck up with that and use some logic. Conspiracies are for the weak that are too afraid to admit the world is far more simple and far more random than we want it to feel.

It's just like 9/11 conspiracies. People don't want to admit that it's as simple as someone wants to kill you one day so they fly a plane into your office. It was literally that simple. Shit happens. The end.
It is not, but thanks for telling me to shut the fuck up to attempt to silence an opposing opinion.

Dude, I really like you but lately your posts are going crazy with your ego of knowing everything. "Period"... You use that a lot for your opinions. Think about that for a second. Who in the government acts this way and is almost universally hated?

If you really think that your opinion is the only thing that is true, I'm sorry.
My argument in this stuff is this:

I am not a scientist, I have a bachelor's degree in music and in engineering, I think I'm decently educated and intelligent but also acknowledge there is a ton I don't know about. I am not an expert on climate, climate change, or anything of the sort. I believe it's real, which to your point is my personal belief. I think all that humans have done contributes, to what degree versus natural evolution of the planet, I have no idea.

My reaction to all of that, is that I think we should all do what we can, within reason, to prevent any impact humans MAY have. Whether or not anything I can do will change the course of climate change, I haven't a clue. It can, however, make me feel good. It can make my local community and places I travel just a little bit nicer with cleaner air, less trash on the side of the road, less stink from the landfill. It can make me healthier by choosing to bike some places instead of drive, and choosing foods like fruits/veggies more often and processed shit/red meat less. I would implore everyone, even those who don't believe humans contribute to climate change, to do their part. If for no other reason, that maybe it will help future generations, and it absolutely will, if only incrementally, make everyone's lives healthier and more pleasant in many ways.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:58 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:56 am

:notwrong: We could surely just live in a one bedroom apartment and have one car but we have a house (albeit 1100 sq. ft), two cars, a bunch of shit, travel regularly). It is tough to draw the line and what feels so important to one person means nothing to others.
I'm bad about this shit. I'd love a slightly bigger house out in the middle of nowhere but close to a smaller regional airport. I think we could be comfortable in 1800 sq/ft with two kids, but...
Yeah, we have talked about this a lot. Like, our house was built 50 years ago to accommodate families of four and people certainly have lived in smaller spaces with less. But do I really want to live in 1100 sq ft if we had two kids? Meh. No. Our perspectives are ever evolving based on our personal experiences. The house I grew up in was 1800 and so for me, something like 2200-2500 for a family would be amazing, but I'm sure you get used to it and find reasons to want/need more.

I am in a weird place now as I believe that the free market is the only thing that really "works" (historically this seems true) but at the same time I hate that it is driven by greed and causes the destruction of the planet as well as many humans who don't have the resources to succeed in it like I, or anyone else on DFD, has.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:34 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:30 am

Twas a general "shut the fuck up" about conspiracies, not directed at you. Definitely poorly phrased, sorry about that.

To be clear, it's not ego of knowing anything, it's that there is objective truth in the world. I don't give an inch on those things, never have, and never will.
You silence opposing opinions you made that clear on multiple occasions. Kind of scary to see that you can’t even own up to it, after multiple people tell you that. Certainly Acting like some people who are clearly :wrong:
max225

[user not found] wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:18 am
max225 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:15 am
You silence opposing opinions you made that clear on multiple occasions. Kind of scary to see that you can’t even own up to it, after multiple people tell you that
Oh I definitely do. Pretty sure I owned it in the post you are quoting about objective truth? There are certain things that simply aren't up for debate. This isn't a place to debate science. We aren't scientists.

Want to go have a debate about policy on something? Sure have at it. That's a good and healthy debate where opinion matters. Science doesn't care about any of our opinions.

I don't know when it became fashionable to debate facts but I won't play that game.
Science never changes and is never wrong. Let’s debate that statement.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:21 am
max225 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:20 am

Science never changes and is never wrong. Let’s debate that statement.
We on this forum do not know enough or understand enough to debate science.
We debate everything why do we need lines drawn for us?
We debate mental health,
Money
Cars
Politics
Investments
But someone decides taboo subjects :butwhy:
Last edited by max225 on Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

[user not found] wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:26 am I mean we are only halfway through the hurricane season and they are almost out of names.
This is the tail end of it for us.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:20 am Science never changes and is never wrong. Let’s debate that statement.
:wrong:
max225

[user not found] wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:28 am
max225 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:24 am
We debate everything why do we need lines drawn for us?
My selfishness.

There are plenty of places on the internet for fully unfettered debate on any topic you would like. I'm sure there are multitudes of places that would be fine with a discussion about the factual nature of climate change by people that don't have enough knowledge to debate it. I don't want this place to become somewhere safe for what I consider to be ignorance.

Debate of policy on an accepted (not even agreed upon, simply accepted) basis of fact is interesting, healthy, and complete different.
I’m simply pointing out that you have now censored opinions/debates on multiple topics that oppose your own views. Curious what the full list is, so myself and others don’t have to step on the masters toes.
Last edited by max225 on Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Apex wrote:Morning peeps! It was a cool 45 this morning. Took the pupper for a walk in shorts and a tshirt.
How the fuck? That's hypothermia territory.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:30 am
Melon wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:24 am

This is the tail end of it for us.
Y'all have earned it. Atlantic coast usually sees it for another couple months. On the rare little guys that make it up here it's almost always in October.
Usually the big ones hit the latter part of August, early part of September.
Yeah, Lake Charles is fucked. Hoping Mobile doesn't get hit as hard. They are already staging cleaning crews around here for it.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

F'ing California, ruining my clear skies today
max225

[user not found] wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:32 am
max225 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:30 am
I’m simply pointing out that you have now censored opinions/debates on multiple topics that oppose your own views. Curious what the full list is, so myself and others don’t have to step on the masters toes.
Cute edit. Let's kiss.
No means no !