OT 19: Masks On, Clothes Off, Right Hand Left Titty

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

wap wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:54 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:32 pm
The biggest risk we run here is being buried in snow, but that's just part of it here. Just like fires are naturally occurring things in the west.

Climate change has made the last few years particularly bad.
True about snow, but you like snow so I figured you :aintcare: , and with a concrete :haus: and a :jeep: and a :jeep: :truk: you're pretty immune. :notbad:
:dat:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:03 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:54 pm

That is true I guess... same can be said for FL, Louisiana, etc. with hurricanes, but it's not always easy to just up and leave your home because there could be natural disasters.
Of course it's not easy, but still doable. People whine and complain but then do nothing. So many fires can be traced to humans starting it...like WTF. That level of stupidity I just can't tolerate. I know there's other factors out of people's control, especially in Northern CA, but just pointing out that you accept certain risks based on where you live. I might get burried in snow and die this winter, that's my choice.

People should be freaking out climate change right now. The evidence is overwhelming at this point. Detroit was a desert this year, and areas of CA are on fire that aren't usually. This is not OK.
Well, I agree that stupidity/humans are a big part of the cause... but it doesn't make it any better for the 99% of people who don't start fires.

And yes, we should all be focusing on climate change but it is :fakenews: according to :thankstrump:

:disgust:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:00 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:03 pm
Of course it's not easy, but still doable. People whine and complain but then do nothing. So many fires can be traced to humans starting it...like WTF. That level of stupidity I just can't tolerate. I know there's other factors out of people's control, especially in Northern CA, but just pointing out that you accept certain risks based on where you live. I might get burried in snow and die this winter, that's my choice.

People should be freaking out climate change right now. The evidence is overwhelming at this point. Detroit was a desert this year, and areas of CA are on fire that aren't usually. This is not OK.
Well, I agree that stupidity/humans are a big part of the cause... but it doesn't make it any better for the 99% of people who don't start fires.

And yes, we should all be focusing on climate change but it is :fakenews: according to :thankstrump:

No one is willing to look inwards and stop breeding and buying :truk: 's but yes lets blame Trump. Certainly your life choices are all up to 1 clown in charge, you have no power.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:18 pm

No one is willing to look inwards and stop breeding and buying :truk: 's but yes lets blame Trump. Certainly your life choices are all up to 1 clown in charge, you have no power.
With a few outliers (I'm looking at you Coogles) this forum is in the vanguard of this movement.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:notwrong: but he has certainly led the charge. He IS the leader of the country and claims that it is all fake, has back pedaled on all kinds of environmental issues, and values short term economic growth over long term ecological prosperity.

I have certainly made changes in my own day-to-day like commuting on my bicycle, cutting down beef/meat consumption, etc. I am far from perfect :doe:

I ultimate agree with you that 1. people should take accountability and 2. we should stand with our fellow US citizens in tough times like these fires. It sucks and I think responding with "well you chose that by being in CA" is not the right outlook.

:ohwell:
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

CNN is the real virus.

(actual quote from a guy I would have called "friend" last year, he posts it in the comments of every CNN article or so it seems)
max225

[user not found] wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:05 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:11 pm
What do you mean by "those areas"? I mean the entire US has natural disasters constantly. Pick one.
Upper midwest and mid atlantic and new England don't. Soooo 1/3rd the country doesn't.
I guess hurricanes, blizzards and floods don’t count.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:35 pm
[user not found] wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:05 pm

Upper midwest and mid atlantic and new England don't. Soooo 1/3rd the country doesn't.
Hurricanes don't make it north of the mason dixon line, floods can impact anyone, true...but I'm not aware of many catastrophic blizzards. Snow only kills people who are too stupid to prepare for it (old people shoveling is the highest cause of death), and they don't usually come completely out of nowhere like fires.

On my hill in northern MI, I have a near zero risk of natural disasters.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:58 pm

Hurricanes don't make it north of the mason dixon line, floods can impact anyone, true...but I'm not aware of many catastrophic blizzards. Snow only kills people who are too stupid to prepare for it (old people shoveling is the highest cause of death), and they don't usually come completely out of nowhere like fires.

Yea that’s what it all seems like until the sky turns orange/the snow cuts off power and buries you alive, the wind takes everything you love or the water drowns you.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:14 pm

:notwrong: but he has certainly led the charge. He IS the leader of the country and claims that it is all fake, has back pedaled on all kinds of environmental issues, and values short term economic growth over long term ecological prosperity.

I have certainly made changes in my own day-to-day like commuting on my bicycle, cutting down beef/meat consumption, etc. I am far from perfect :doe:

I ultimate agree with you that 1. people should take accountability and 2. we should stand with our fellow US citizens in tough times like these fires. It sucks and I think responding with "well you chose that by being in CA" is not the right outlook.

I still think you accept a certain level of risk when you chose to live somewhere. "Told you so" isn't the rhetoric because nobody deserves to lose everything (and worse lives), but at the same time there should be some discussion around how to fix it rather than just "oh noes, thoughts and prayers xoxo!"

I had a $250/mo water bill in fucking Detroit this year because the weather resembled Phoenix more than the Midwest. Random heat lighting in Northern CA and RECORD temps in the entire region are creating unprecedented deviation in fires. "Thoughts and prayers" aren't going to do shit. Fuckers need to start talking about how we fix this place before it nukes as all as the plague we are.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:01 pm

Yea that’s what it all seems like until the sky turns orange/the snow cuts off power and buries you alive, the wind takes everything you love or the water drowns you.
We're several hundred feet above the water level so if we flood, the world is ending. All power lines are burried and lower the risk of snow issues, plus our entire house is reinforced poured concrete half burried in the ground, so wind isn't a factor.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:08 pm
We're several hundred feet above the water level so if we flood, the world is ending. All power lines are burried and lower the risk of snow issues, plus our entire house is reinforced poured concrete half burried in the ground, so wind isn't a factor.
You live in a PinterestBunker. :notbad:
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:04 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:14 pm

I still think you accept a certain level of risk when you chose to live somewhere. "Told you so" isn't the rhetoric because nobody deserves to lose everything (and worse lives), but at the same time there should be some discussion around how to fix it rather than just "oh noes, thoughts and prayers xoxo!"

I had a $250/mo water bill in fucking Detroit this year because the weather resembled Phoenix more than the Midwest. Random heat lighting in Northern CA and RECORD temps in the entire region are creating unprecedented deviation in fires. "Thoughts and prayers" aren't going to do shit. Fuckers need to start talking about how we fix this place before it nukes as all as the plague we are.
How do you fix a 100 year heat wave ?
How do you fix a 100 year lightning event ?

Shit happens. Doesn't really matter where anyone is. Shit happens. But a reasonable human being doesn't assume "all of california is the same" and "all of you are rich asses living in mansions" Wildfires aren't a "thing" here. There is no WILD around the bay area.

Just like earthquakes weren't a thing in Oklahoma.
max225

:bruh: you need a society to survive. As do the rest of us. No "bunker in the woods" will help you once real shit hits the fan.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:38 pm
:bruh: you need a society to survive. As do the rest of us. No "bunker in the woods" will help you once real shit hits the fan.
Agree to disagree. When it turns to dog eat dog, I'm glad there aren't that many dogs around to eat me.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:38 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:04 pm

How do you fix a 100 year heat wave ?
How do you fix a 100 year lightning event ?

Shit happens. Doesn't really matter where anyone is. Shit happens. But a reasonable human being doesn't assume "all of california is the same" and "all of you are rich asses living in mansions" Wildfires aren't a "thing" here. There is no WILD around the bay area.

Just like earthquakes weren't a thing in Oklahoma.
It's getting more common! Look at last year in your area, same thing with the "100 year whatevers". Our lake levels here are at record highs and temps are varying to degrees that haven't been seen before, for years now. Flooding down south and crazy hurricanes, all this is happening at the same time. At what point do you have so many "100 year events" that it's just normal? And that's not ok.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

I fucking love blizzards. :megusta:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
troyguitar

max225

Real question ... is that wine ? Or a wine flavored beverage ?
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:05 am
max225 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:13 am Real question ... is that wine ? Or a wine flavored beverage ?
Franzia is legit wine. I wouldn't call it good but I've had worse and the dollar to drunk ratio is excellent. Gives me brutal hangovers doe.

There are better boxed wine options these days :doe:
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:14 pm

Blizzards definitely don't count. The other two are very regional and with largely insignificant impact.

Edit: to be clear - flooding and hurricanes in the North East**. Big deal elsewhere, not as much here.
Flooding was never a huge thing in Michigan until the last few years. Now lake levels are the highest they've ever been and some people are losing their homes. I work with a guy that has a house on Lake St. Clair that's under water right now...100% worthless. You can't just make the lakes go down.

That's my point, extreme weather is impacting all of us at an alarming rate. Yet we all just continue to :aintcare: :sass:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Happy Friday y’all! :fuckyeah:
Desertbreh

[user not found] wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:27 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:15 am

There are better boxed wine options these days :doe:
I haven't had many but I've heard good things about Black Box?
When you can walk into Costco and buy a bottle of Robert Hall Cab for 11 bucks, that pretty much takes cardboard wine off the table for me.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar

Desertbreh wrote:
[user not found] wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:27 am I haven't had many but I've heard good things about Black Box?
When you can walk into Costco and buy a bottle of Robert Hall Cab for 11 bucks, that pretty much takes cardboard wine off the table for me.
Boxes are less than half that.
Desertbreh

troyguitar wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:04 am
Desertbreh wrote:
Boxes are less than half that.
Understood but that's still cheap enough for me to skip bulk wine. That is a kick ass daily driver and promotes quality over quantity. Concur with [user not found] I've heard positives on Black Box and I do appreciate box wine transportability issues/would consider in a camping/hiking/picnic scenario.