Detroit Moves to the Woods?

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

This is pretty fucking epic!

I will miss Balls Deep and watching the updating you've been doing to it :doe: . That's a fantastic house. But this place super quirky in a cool way.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

:like:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

wap wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:00 pm This is pretty fucking epic!

I will miss Balls Deep and watching the updating you've been doing to it :doe: . That's a fantastic house. But this place super quirky in a cool way.
Also :dat:. Such a cool :haus:.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:12 pm Oh no, nothing quality related. It's just that inventory is a disaster right now, and deals will vary widely from region to region just like you're seeing. It's just not a great time for solid :dill: s TBH.
Ah, got it. I’d figured the :dill: was too good to be true, and it was. :disappoint:
wap

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:03 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:41 pm

That 1980 build should be pretty good. Our house was built in 1977 and it is pretty great, old enough to be built in a very sturdy way for longevity, new enough not have inconvenient shit like boilers and above ground power lines.
All modern grounded wiring, has forced air with AC, but little insulation because the concrete and earth act as that, and rather effectively as I understand. We barely run the AC.

Wife HATES above ground power lines. I'm :aintcare: but that's a big selling point for her up here, all buried.
:(
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

wap wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:08 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:03 pm
All modern grounded wiring, has forced air with AC, but little insulation because the concrete and earth act as that, and rather effectively as I understand. We barely run the AC.

Wife HATES above ground power lines. I'm :aintcare: but that's a big selling point for her up here, all buried.
Yeah, I will miss radiant heat.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

I love our old house, but man am I tired of undoing half-assed shit from owners over 110 years. We'd only be the third owners of this house, and it's mostly untouched, which just means restoring things, but not undoing half assed shit.

There's these custom landscape lights all over the front yard, driveway and walkway. found switches for the back yard lights, but not the front/driveway/walkway lights. I dug around this afternoon and found a timer in a cabinet next to the electrical panel, flipped it on and the lights turned on! set the timer to the correct time and on/off times and now the driveway lights work! At our current house, some :derp: probably would have cut out the timer and either disabled the lights entirely or did something :fullretard: it's so nice being in a house that hasn't been completely fucked with. Will be easier to restore.

Also discovered this when I found the timer. no idea what it is, but will be interesting to research. I don't think it's connected to anything anymore :doe:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:35 pm I won't quote all the pics, but man, those are :fuckyeah:
:dat:
The upper Great Lakes region is really 5/7. MeatChicken, Wisconsin, Minnesota, all of it.
wap

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:11 pm
wap wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:08 pm

Yeah, I will miss radiant heat.
Life is full of trade offs. :ohwell:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

That new :haus: is fucking awesome, or at least it will be when you replace the hot tub time machine. 5/7 would alternate between the hot tub and the Ivory Tower.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:31 pm
Tarspin wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:47 pm Man I wish we were DINKS, :scoot: ing off to a town and living the easy life sounds fun! I like the place Dplac, and vote :doit:
I have lightly tried to convince :tits: we should move to the beach... she can't work remotely though, would need a new gig. :ohwell:
Our move wouldn't be possible if the wife wasn't out of work and I couldn't WFH.

That said, I can easily afford the move on my salary alone, you might be able to as well?
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:23 pm That new :haus: is fucking awesome, or at least it will be when you replace the hot tub time machine. 5/7 would alternate between the hot tub and the Ivory Tower.
Between the hot tub time machine and the sauna, this is a winter paradise.

The tower is even heated, so will be rad to come up after a soak in the hot tub during a snow storm. Should make winter far more tolerable.
wap

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:17 pm

I love our old house, but man am I tired of undoing half-assed shit from owners over 110 years. We'd only be the third owners of this house, and it's mostly untouched, which just means restoring things, but not undoing half assed shit.

There's these custom landscape lights all over the front yard, driveway and walkway. found switches for the back yard lights, but not the front/driveway/walkway lights. I dug around this afternoon and found a timer in a cabinet next to the electrical panel, flipped it on and the lights turned on! set the timer to the correct time and on/off times and now the driveway lights work! At our current house, some :derp: probably would have cut out the timer and either disabled the lights entirely or did something :fullretard: it's so nice being in a house that hasn't been completely fucked with. Will be easier to restore.

Also discovered this when I found the timer. no idea what it is, but will be interesting to research. I don't think it's connected to anything anymore :doe:
:word:
Old :haus: shit can be quite :disgust: A LOT of the foundation project I'm currently over 60 HOURS into is undoing old shitty painting and :bs: patch jobs. :disgust:
wap

No idea :wat: that could be. Does the house have solar panels or maybe a heat pump or something?
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:28 pm

No idea :wat: that could be. Does the house have solar panels or maybe a heat pump or something?
Buddy claims it had a solar water heater at some point...
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:23 pm That new :haus: is fucking awesome, or at least it will be when you replace the hot tub time machine. 5/7 would alternate between the hot tub and the Ivory Tower.
Between the hot tub time machine and the sauna, this is a winter paradise.

The tower is even heated, so will be rad to come up after a soak in the hot tub during a snow storm. Should make winter far more tolerable.
I've wanted a hot tub forever, it's one of the few things that makes me feel good. I'd be in there every day.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:31 pm
Detroit wrote: Between the hot tub time machine and the sauna, this is a winter paradise.

I've wanted a hot tub forever, it's one of the few things that makes me feel good. I'd be in there every day.
That's how the wife feels, and while I'm not that passionate about it, I can't deny that we'd use it. would be great in the cold. Daily use for sure, especially since it's indoors.
ChrisoftheNorth

From the treehouse just now...
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:31 pm
Tarspin wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:47 pm Man I wish we were DINKS, :scoot: ing off to a town and living the easy life sounds fun! I like the place Dplac, and vote :doit:
I have lightly tried to convince :tits: we should move to the beach... she can't work remotely though, would need a new gig. :ohwell:
I could do beach life permanently too, especially in a climate that has a longer summer then mine. I guess you guys have awesome shorelines, what are prices for real estate like near them?
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:33 pm From the treehouse just now...
:jelly:
wap

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:33 pm From the treehouse just now...
:amaze:
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:54 am Lort have mercy. Minas Tirith > everything else up to this point.

Pull the :nope: cord and make it happen.
Talked to the wife last night while she's down state, we're 99% committed, just a matter of lining up logistics now.

She broke the news to some of our closest friends last night and the wife went full :triggered: :howdareu: YOU'LL REGRET IT THERE'S NOTHING UP THERE ZOMG WINTER :triggered: :pout:

Husband was all :fuckyeah: can't wait to visit!

Most of the people we tell usually respond with "when can we visit?" It's less than 4 hours drive.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:18 am
[user not found] wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:54 am Lort have mercy. Minas Tirith > everything else up to this point.

Pull the :nope: cord and make it happen.
Talked to the wife last night while she's down state, we're 99% committed, just a matter of lining up logistics now.

She broke the news to some of our closest friends last night and the wife went full :triggered: :howdareu: YOU'LL REGRET IT THERE'S NOTHING UP THERE ZOMG WINTER :triggered: :pout:

Husband was all :fuckyeah: can't wait to visit!

Most of the people we tell usually respond with "when can we visit?" It's less than 4 hours drive.
:popcorn: :excited:
ChrisoftheNorth

The other debate is if we should go full :millennial: and start a youtube channel documenting the move and the rennovation/restoration since we'll be doing majority of the work ourselves...
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:23 am The other debate is if we should go full :millennial: and start a youtube channel documenting the move and the rennovation/restoration since we'll be doing majority of the work ourselves...
Why not? It would be interesting. Usually the niche stuff is. Plus, you get views and likes from DFD to help the algorithm
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.