Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Tarspin wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:39 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:09 pm

:disgust: good luck at the :tubeman:
Thanks man, they have been pretty decent about getting everything covered under the plan they sold me. I'm not a fan of three issues in the last 10k but I'm starting to think that extra warranty coverage was the best thing I could have done for my present day self. Next car brand will likely be non-German if this turns into a shit show.
If I were getting another Veedub ( :lolol: :nope: ) I would either lease it or dump it when warranty runs out. Even with an extended warranty, I find the constant dealership trips to be majorly disruptive and annoying.

I hate to keep tooting the Subaru horn but it really has been a revelation. But then again, Lisa's Tiguan was fine for the lease term. So it is what it is I guess. If you get a needy one you have a needy one.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:40 am
Tarspin wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:35 am

I'm covered with a small deductible of $100 per fix and I can ride that out for an additional 2.5 yrs and 95k kms. I may plan to sell the car after that coverage expires, but I'm :disgust: with the way numerous faults keep popping up now that the factory warranty is expired.

How does VW expect custies to keep buying their products if they come up with a plethora of fault codes from every sensor, solenoid and cable harness out of warranty?
Yea that nitty gritty tiny issue every few months is annoying AF and is the main reason I’m avoiding range rovers ... that’s the main issue with those
Most of the sensors and harnesses are similar in nature from one gen to the next, you would think that every manufacturer puts effort into improving their reliability over time, heck even steal ideas from each other. If they build to fail after three years on purpose then they will lose customers. Makes bad business sense long term. :iono:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:52 pm
Tarspin wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:39 pm

Thanks man, they have been pretty decent about getting everything covered under the plan they sold me. I'm not a fan of three issues in the last 10k but I'm starting to think that extra warranty coverage was the best thing I could have done for my present day self. Next car brand will likely be non-German if this turns into a shit show.
If I were getting another Veedub ( :lolol: :nope: ) I would either lease it or dump it when warranty runs out. Even with an extended warranty, I find the constant dealership trips to be majorly disruptive and annoying.

I hate to keep tooting the Subaru horn but it really has been a revelation. But then again, Lisa's Tiguan was fine for the lease term. So it is what it is I guess. If you get a needy one you have a needy one.
Yeah I think Japanese car manufacturers legit make efforts to improve components from gen to gen. I'd Toyota next most likely, I like the brand and watch them build cars a lot. Subarus are really cool too. They didn't make that recent Toyota leap when it comes to car designs, the Corolla in sedan and hatch is a nice looking car and so is the current gen Rav4, especially as a trail package. I'm sure that Subaru is going to do a lot of refreshing in generations to come, they share some car plants in the US at least and run similar business models.
Johnny_P

Tarspin wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:00 pm

Yeah I think Japanese car manufacturers legit make efforts to improve components from gen to gen. I'd Toyota next most likely, I like the brand and watch them build cars a lot. Subarus are really cool too. They didn't make that recent Toyota leap when it comes to car designs, the Corolla in sedan and hatch is a nice looking car and so is the current gen Rav4, especially as a trail package. I'm sure that Subaru is going to do a lot of refreshing in generations to come, they share some car plants in the US at least and run similar business models.
Yeah. I want to like the Forester but.... eh. Crosstrek is more of the same there.

Agreed that Toyota is making good stuff. So is Honda but I think Honda misses their mark a lot.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:09 pm

Yeah. I want to like the Forester but.... eh. Crosstrek is more of the same there.

Agreed that Toyota is making good stuff. So is Honda but I think Honda misses their mark a lot.
I don't really like honda offerings that much right now except the Type R in a cool color like Boost Blue or yellow. It comes with a really awesome :manuel: but my wife is :pout: so that leaves nada on my list that doesn't want to make me kill myself... maybe the Civic Sport but I'm way more #mood about Sub-yota stuff.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

So the e-brake thing went away and hasn't reappeared in days!?! Hmm, maybe it self-healed or readjusted. Either way, I'll chalk it up to a weird phenomenon and assume it's gone since I've been using the handbrake every time I park and I've been moving around a lot.

Also, i really still like the car and even the ridiculously big Prets with the G-Max RS tars. I can't expect to do better for the 20-25k that's left in it's resale value.

wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Tarspin wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:59 pm So the e-brake thing went away and hasn't reappeared in days!?! Hmm, maybe it self-healed or readjusted. Either way, I'll chalk it up to a weird phenomenon and assume it's gone since I've been using the handbrake every time I park and I've been moving around a lot.

Also, i really still like the car and even the ridiculously big Prets with the G-Max RS tars. I can't expect to do better for the 20-25k that's left in it's resale value.

It's really a :nice: car. :megusta:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Tarspin wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:59 pm So the e-brake thing went away and hasn't reappeared in days!?! Hmm, maybe it self-healed or readjusted. Either way, I'll chalk it up to a weird phenomenon and assume it's gone since I've been using the handbrake every time I park and I've been moving around a lot.

Dig this thing ! Minor issues aside it’s got great character
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Toyota's has improved a lot, and actually becoming nicer. Same with honda, the new accord kinda reminds me of my tsx interior wise. I'd daily the fuck out of a corolla hybrid.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225

Every oem improved a lot, you can tell by getting into
Any older vehicle. They may be reliable but they are epic piles compared to new vehicles.
The big real change is...

A corolla is now an accord
A Tacoma is now a tundra
Etc etc
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Man, I need to get some wheels for mine. I absolutely HATE the black OEM wheels.. They came pre-scratched up on the spokes from the dealer wash monkeys and they are a bitch to get really clean.

I'm just not sure if anything besides black will look right on the car with all the black trim and skirts.

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:02 pm

Man, I need to get some wheels for mine. I absolutely HATE the black OEM wheels.. They came pre-scratched up on the spokes from the dealer wash monkeys and they are a bitch to get really clean.

I'm just not sure if anything besides black will look right on the car with all the black trim and skirts.

That is a very popular look right now, but I know what you mean about them not being in good shape and HARD to clean. I can't wait to get new pads and rotors, something that dusts way less so I don't have to see them dirty up after three or four days of driving (my rotors show rusted well). I like what you did with your 911, when the time comes I'll upgrade to a nicer quality painted rotor.

Mirror caps are easy to pop off, even a one armed monkey can get the job done after watching a youtube video. I'd order the aluminum euro spec ones that they put on Audis and Rs which gives you the flexibility to order a nice set of BBS whatevers in silver if that's more aesthetically pleasing? I like the silver prets personally but they are soft and 18s are a bit more sporty.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Tarspin wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:12 pm
That is a very popular look right now, but I know what you mean about them not being in good shape and HARD to clean. I can't wait to get new pads and rotors, something that dusts way less so I don't have to see them dirty up after three or four days of driving (my rotors show rusted well). I like what you did with your 911, when the time comes I'll upgrade to a nicer quality painted rotor.

Mirror caps are easy to pop off, even a one armed monkey can get the job done after watching a youtube video. I'd order the aluminum euro spec ones that they put on Audis and Rs which gives you the flexibility to order a nice set of BBS whatevers in silver if that's more aesthetically pleasing? I like the silver prets personally but they are soft and 18s are a bit more sporty.
I'm really happy with the Girodisc rotors on the 911 and would love to put them on the Golf R as well. Just not sure I want to throw down $1700ish for rotors on that car unless the OEMs are shot. Def. need some low dusting pads on the R though, it's a dirty bitch right now with the OEM pads, driving 10 miles after a wash and the wheels are ruined again.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:21 pm
Tarspin wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:12 pm

I'm really happy with the Girodisc rotors on the 911 and would love to put them on the Golf R as well. Just not sure I want to throw down $1700ish for rotors on that car unless the OEMs are shot. Def. need some low dusting pads on the R though, it's a dirty bitch right now with the OEM pads, driving 10 miles after a wash and the wheels are ruined again.
I'm at 40 or 50% right now but will start looking at decent aftermarket goodies and post up my findings! Let me know if you find anything that you like.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:54 am Every oem improved a lot, you can tell by getting into
Any older vehicle. They may be reliable but they are epic piles compared to new vehicles.
The big real change is...

A corolla is now an accord
A Tacoma is now a tundra
Etc etc
:dat: :notwrong:
That's what I noticed with my Corolla rental. I assumed that the euro spec was larger than the corolla that we have. But it is actually the same car just with different head/taillights. The euro spec rolla is more handsome on the front end, while what we have is attrocious.

That being said, I think hyundai/kia did a nice huge jump.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:50 pm
Tarspin wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:49 am I stared at freshly minted wide body Charger 392s and Hellcats last night and the want is real. They look pretty darn cool. 100k+ :doe: is straight ass :nope: for me. Then I spent some time looking at used wide body LD/LC products and I can't afford that either....by the time I found something ok in my budget i was at SXT trim, :sad:
The wide body cars are so awesome looking. :drool: :megusta:
If you have all kinds of regrets about not being alive when you could get serious 60's/1970 muscle cars, like an L-88 Corvette, Yenko Camaro, LS-6 Chevelle Street Hemi Mopar, etc., you shouldn't. A manual Redeye Hellcat Challenger Widebody is the baddest muscle car of all time. And it comes with things your couldn't get in 1970......air conditioning, real brakes, an epic warranty, comparatively epic handling.......and enough power to suck in the hood.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:39 pm
[user not found] wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:50 pm

The wide body cars are so awesome looking. :drool: :megusta:
If you have all kinds of regrets about not being alive when you could get serious 60's/1970 muscle cars, like an L-88 Corvette, Yenko Camaro, LS-6 Chevelle Street Hemi Mopar, etc., you shouldn't. A manual Redeye Hellcat Challenger Widebody is the baddest muscle car of all time. And it comes with things your couldn't get in 1970......air conditioning, real brakes, an epic warranty, comparatively epic handling.......and enough power to suck in the hood.
Nah bruh, a 60s car that smells like cancer goes 0-60 in 6 seconds and stops in 250 feet while locking up the wheels, is the ANSWER. Also most came without AC which is the way to stop global warming.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

My dad's 427 C3 convertible was downright terrifying.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:13 pm My dad's 427 C3 convertible was downright terrifying.
My buddy here has a plain old stock C3 '72 and it is also terrifying. It's not all that fast, probably equivalent to like a 2020 Civic Sport, but the braking and handling are so fucking bad, it is remarkable.

The only other car that old I've driven was my dad's '68 Citroen, which despite being a four door sedan built solely for comfort, was lighter, handled better, and stopped WAY better than that POS C3. It's fun to look at but what a garbage car.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:13 pm My dad's 427 C3 convertible was downright terrifying.
My buddy here has a plain old stock C3 '72 and it is also terrifying. It's not all that fast, probably equivalent to like a 2020 Civic Sport, but the braking and handling are so fucking bad, it is remarkable.

The only other car that old I've driven was my dad's '68 Citroen, which despite being a four door sedan built solely for comfort, was lighter, handled better, and stopped WAY better than that POS C3. It's fun to look at but what a garbage car.
:howdareyou: hate on America like that?

You take that Pelosi Cortez loving shit back to France, Girard.
Desertbreh

But still cooler than hell.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:59 pm

C3s drive like dump trucks. They can be made to drive well, but even the C4s, especially the LT1 variants, are a much superior chassis.
Johnny_P

Same with my friend’s Ferrari 308 GTB. And the AC Cobra he had before that. The Cobra was the scariest car I’ve ever been in. I think he said it made 460 at the rear wheels on the dyno.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I decided to head to the office today for the first time in six months or so as I needed to grab something from the warehouse.

One of my friends/coworkers is also here and just got a Masseratti Quattraporte and let me take it out for a spin. It's a 2017, very nice interior and pretty quick :notbad:
3rdgenfan
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: Frontier, Rabbit TDI, G8 GXP

I did a thing by accident.