Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:40 pm
Apex wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:35 pm Wifey mentioned today that she wants to get some gravel bikes that we could leave at LBI. :notbad:
Not that it matters to me in particular, but did you actually do the deed with this chick? I thought you were a seperatist combatant.
Not yet, next step is :haus: early next year. Then we’ll figure that stuff out. Which she is on board with.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:48 pm
D Griff wrote:Image

Completed a metric century. That was pretty hard but I feel good about it, :notbad: speed for a 28 pound bike. The last leg (16 miles) after the coffee shop was pretty tough, not sure I would’ve made it without stopping for an iced coffee and sandwich.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fuuuuck I want to move down there. You fuckers are so lucky.
Has the wife asked about moving yet? Isn’t there a Corning facility here?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:03 pm
D Griff wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:56 pm Image

Completed a metric century. That was pretty hard but I feel good about it, :notbad: speed for a 28 pound bike. The last leg (16 miles) after the coffee shop was pretty tough, not sure I would’ve made it without stopping for an iced coffee and sandwich.

Solid!

I'm not a big fan of eating a real meal while on the bike, but if it works for you, go for it. I prefer to eat small things that are calorie dense when riding then wait to fully refuel until after.

For example, on today's ride I ate 1.5 packs of shot blocks, a clif bar, and drank a can of coke and a San Pellegrino orange fizzy lifting drink, plus went through 3 bottles of water.

And speaking of today's ride... that's the next post.
I think this was my first time having anything but water (and a Powerade once) on a ride.

I think I agree generally but the break was needed and I was working on zero calories for the day. The sandwich didn’t seem to have any negative impact, it was probably 400ish calories, not too big, not too little.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:24 pm
D Griff wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:56 pm Image

Killer. Nice job. You're an animal with that bike.

I will say, this bike isn’t so bad, the new rear wheel seems to have improved it too. I’ve ridden quite a few old road bikes and mine is definitely the best I’ve experienced. We’ll see after I try the $3800 carbon Domane Monday. I’ve never ridden a road bike newer than 1990 I don’t think.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:18 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:24 pm

Killer. Nice job. You're an animal with that bike.

I will say, this bike isn’t so bad, the new rear wheel seems to have improved it too. I’ve ridden quite a few old road bikes and mine is definitely the best I’ve experienced. We’ll see after I try the $3800 carbon Domane Monday. I’ve never ridden a road bike newer than 1990 I don’t think.
Be prepared to want to empty your wallet right then and there. It's a stiff bike and will feel like a rocket. You're going to love the STI shifters too.

Everything STI is great.

That happened with the Cervelo. 5 pedal strokes and I was like "fuck I gotta buy this thing" lol.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Apex wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:12 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:40 pm

Not that it matters to me in particular, but did you actually do the deed with this chick? I thought you were a seperatist combatant.
Not yet, next step is :haus: early next year. Then we’ll figure that stuff out. Which she is on board with.
Ok man, you're hardly a freeman having authored a crotchfruit with this woman, but there is no need to put yourself in chains linguistically yet, unless you dig it.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:49 pm
Apex wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:12 pm

Ok man, you're hardly a freeman having authored a crotchfruit with this woman, but there is no need to put yourself in chains linguistically yet, unless you dig it.
It seems to be the easiest way to write it. :lol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:32 pm
D Griff wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:18 pm

Be prepared to want to empty your wallet right then and there. It's a stiff bike and will feel like a rocket. You're going to love the STI shifters too.

Everything STI is great.

That happened with the Cervelo. 5 pedal strokes and I was like "fuck I gotta buy this thing" lol.
I am pretty solidly out on spending $4k, already told them that too, they were cool though and said I should just get a feel for the fitment and stuff. Maybe they are trying to :dillerman: me.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:53 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:49 pm

It seems to be the easiest way to write it. :lol:
Yeah I actually enjoy referring to my wife as my wife. It just makes it easier and people don’t ask questions, etc.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:35 pm
D Griff wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:32 pm

I am pretty solidly out on spending $4k, already told them that too, they were cool though and said I should just get a feel for the fitment and stuff. Maybe they are trying to :dillerman: me.
Ultimately, yes. But if they're a good shop, they'll try and match a bike to your budget.

I think I've made up my mind on my next road bike - Scott Addict RC. Not sure when that'll be, but it'll be.
I bought my wheel, helmet, and a bunch of other random little things there, they have been pretty good.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Whoa. Apparently chinese carbon :ramz: can be cheap-ish...

https://www.lightbicycle.com/700C-disc- ... bikes.html

Basically $600 for a 1200g wheelset fully built ready to go. I think mine is like 2500g?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:14 pm
D Griff wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:42 pm

I bought my wheel, helmet, and a bunch of other random little things there, they have been pretty good.
If they're willing to let you ride a $5k bike without a deposit, sounds cool to me.
Yeah she encouraged it :iono:

I might pick up pedals/shoes there since I doubt I’lL order a bike for March delivery.
troyguitar

Only time will tell for sure, but I've got 4-5 hours in now on the narrower cranks+bars and everything is better with no downsides.

My ass still starts hurting within 30 minutes and my upper body gets painful within an hour... but my knees at least seem to be good now. I absolutely had to stop and get the fuck off the bike after about 90 minutes today. Way too much pain. I swear that every one of you fuckers who claim that you can ride comfortably for hours are full of fucking shit.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Well, I just test rode a Trek Domane at $3800. It featured Ultegra and a carbon frame - https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike ... Code=black

So, I have to say, this is a quantum leap from my bike obviously. It was clearly lighter and faster than my bike, which is cool. The position on modern hoods and bars is just way more comfortable. The shifting (and using Blifters) is incredible. The shop was great, she just sent me out with it after they got it set up and put pedals on.

:iono: that is was really super informative as far as a buying decision. I do think it felt pretty good size wise (58 cm), so that is helpful. There wasn't really anything I didn't like about it, but I feel that I would've thought that about anything.

There are no other bikes in Charlotte in my size, so I either just ride the Raleigh forever or order something without trying it.

I think I'll go buy shoes/pedals from the shop regardless though, as the test ride/service level was great and they will have shoes available Friday.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:27 pm Well, I just test rode a Trek Domane at $3800. It featured Ultegra and a carbon frame - https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike ... Code=black

So, I have to say, this is a quantum leap from my bike obviously. It was clearly lighter and faster than my bike, which is cool. The position on modern hoods and bars is just way more comfortable. The shifting (and using Blifters) is incredible. The shop was great, she just sent me out with it after they got it set up and put pedals on.

:iono: that is was really super informative as far as a buying decision. I do think it felt pretty good size wise (58 cm), so that is helpful. There wasn't really anything I didn't like about it, but I feel that I would've thought that about anything.

There are no other bikes in Charlotte in my size, so I either just ride the Raleigh forever or order something without trying it.

I think I'll go buy shoes/pedals from the shop regardless though, as the test ride/service level was great and they will have shoes available Friday.
Nice.
I'd order that ribble. So you can dribble over your ribble. :hubba:

I have a pair of lace up Giro Empire SLX in purple that I'd sell you if you want them. Have newerish LOOK cleats, and I could sell you my LOOK Keo Max pedals too. Size 45 EU / 11 US. I think you said you were a 46 though.
troyguitar

Dat DFD :alpo: exceptionalism :doe:

My bontrager shoes are a little too wide, I end up ratcheting them down almost as tightly as possible but it works.

The boa mechanism plus SPD pedals is a super slick combo though and I don't see myself buying any other type of shoes/pedals in the future. Probably just lighter/stronger versions of what I have. I'm thinking single sided pedals at some point, Shimano PD-ES600 is almost half a pound lighter for the pair than my M530s and basically the same weight as road pedals without having to wear goofy shoes.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:56 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:52 pm I have a pair of lace up Giro Empire SLX in purple that I'd sell you if you want them. Have newerish LOOK cleats, and I could sell you my LOOK Keo Max pedals too. Size 45 EU / 11 US. I think you said you were a 46 though.
Man, I always loved those. Right size, too.

Too narrow for my feet though, I bet.
Wanna try them out?
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:12 am Dat DFD :alpo: exceptionalism :doe:

My bontrager shoes are a little too wide, I end up ratcheting them down almost as tightly as possible but it works.

The boa mechanism plus SPD pedals is a super slick combo though and I don't see myself buying any other type of shoes/pedals in the future. Probably just lighter/stronger versions of what I have. I'm thinking single sided pedals at some point, Shimano PD-ES600 is almost half a pound lighter for the pair than my M530s and basically the same weight as road pedals without having to wear goofy shoes.
I didn’t mention it back when you were shopping because I didn’t want to sell them at that point. Plus figured you were on a gravel bike and would want dirt shoes instead of slick bottom clown shoes that you can’t walk in.

But if you want them let me know. I’ve reached the point of understanding that I won’t have a dedicated road bike for a long time if ever. So no point in keeping these if others could use them or want them.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:52 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:27 pm Well, I just test rode a Trek Domane at $3800. It featured Ultegra and a carbon frame - https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike ... Code=black

Nice.

I have a pair of lace up Giro Empire SLX in purple that I'd sell you if you want them. Have newerish LOOK cleats, and I could sell you my LOOK Keo Max pedals too. Size 45 EU / 11 US. I think you said you were a 46 though.
Man would love to take you up on that but I feel like they would be too small, I tried on a 45 and 46 yesterday and the 45 felt pretty snug, looking at the Giro Empire SLX it sounds like many people suggest sizing up so I'm thinking they'd be uncomfortable on my toes. It's hard to know for sure, there is really a learning curve to this stuff. Are cycle shoes supposed to basically feel like regular shoes?

The dillerlady at the bike shop suggested I get MTB shoes/pedals because she thinks I will want to clip in on my mountain bike as soon as I get comfortable with it on my road bike.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:23 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:52 pm

Nice.

Man would love to take you up on that but I feel like they would be too small, I tried on a 45 and 46 yesterday and the 45 felt pretty snug, looking at the Giro Empire SLX it sounds like many people suggest sizing up so I'm thinking they'd be uncomfortable on my toes. It's hard to know for sure, there is really a learning curve to this stuff. Are cycle shoes supposed to basically feel like regular shoes?

The dillerlady at the bike shop suggested I get MTB shoes/pedals because she thinks I will want to clip in on my mountain bike as soon as I get comfortable with it on my road bike.
You could do that. Shoe soles are so stiff anymore that there aren’t a ton of advantages to a roadie dedicated shoe other than maybe aero and ventilation. Used to be that road cleats were huge so you didn’t get hot spots from the shoe flexing. MTB cleats are a lot smaller and would hurt your feet if you were on them for many hours. Not the case anymore honestly.

These were always a bit snug on me. Lace up though so it was easy to loosen them and get comfy. Bike shoes should feel comfortable to stand in. Not loose but not tight. Snug might describe it. Should be able to wiggle toes a little. Your feet swell up as you ride so you want a tiny little bit of room.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:03 pm

You could do that. Shoe soles are so stiff anymore that there aren’t a ton of advantages to a roadie dedicated shoe other than maybe aero and ventilation. Used to be that road cleats were huge so you didn’t get hot spots from the shoe flexing. MTB cleats are a lot smaller and would hurt your feet if you were on them for many hours. Not the case anymore honestly.

These were always a bit snug on me. Lace up though so it was easy to loosen them and get comfy. Bike shoes should feel comfortable to stand in. Not loose but not tight. Snug might describe it. Should be able to wiggle toes a little. Your feet swell up as you ride so you want a tiny little bit of room.
:word:

Sadly I think these would be too tight on me. :ohwell:

It sounds like MTB shoes are probably a good bet for future compatibility. The opportunity to walk a bit while out riding is :nice: as well.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:16 pm

I've got a pair of Shimano Size 46 MTB shoes you can have, just pay shipping. They're a little worn but still useable.
:ohdang: :notbad: I'll PM you my address.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:17 pm
D Griff wrote:
:ohdang: :notbad: I'll PM you my address.
:jimp:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

In other news, it looks like the wife is going to buy some kind of spin bike and start doing the Peloton thing. I am pretty pleased about this development because she really should exercise more, plus I may use it some in the winter. Plus, maybe, just maybe, it will make her want a road bike eventually.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:39 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:22 pm In other news, it looks like the wife is going to buy some kind of spin bike and start doing the Peloton thing. I am pretty pleased about this development because she really should exercise more, plus I may use it some in the winter. Plus, maybe, just maybe, it will make her want a road bike eventually.
Zilch's wife and my wife both enjoy the Peloton life immensely. Food for thought.

Also, I have a promo code for Pelotube if you want it.
:word: That would be cool, she may have already signed up :notsure:

Do y'all have the actual Peloton brand bike? It seems like anything that is of decent quality and can hold an iPad should be fine?